PDA

View Full Version : Indian Passport Renewal - Questions

augustus
07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Dear IV users,

I'm not sure which is the appropriate forum to post this question - please bear with me if I am posting this in a wrong forum.

How long does it take to renew passport in Chicago consulate? Can I get it renewed in the same day?

What happens to my old passport after renewal? Do i get it back? and If so, should I carry both passports at all time? Because my US visa is stamped in my old passport which is about to expire.

Please share your experiences. Thank you!!

mohitb272
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Well, in my case it took about 3 weeks to get it from SFO consulate. They will return your old passport along with new (infact, it will be tagged along the new one).

Hope this helps!

wandmaker
07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I have mailed my passport to CGI Chicago through USPS Express Mail for renewal and received a new passport on the 7th day, which include both way mailing time :)

sai
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
How long does it take to renew passport in Chicago consulate? Can I get it renewed in the same day? I heard you can get it the same day for an extra fee paid at the counter. I posted it from MI and got it back in 3 weeks.

What happens to my old passport after renewal? Do i get it back? and If so, should I carry both passports at all time? Because my US visa is stamped in my old passport which is about to expire. yes you get your old passport and should carry both at all times, It may be a good idea to staple them together.

augustus
07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Dear IV users,

FYI...I just received my passport from chicago consulate after renewal. They had a very quick turnaround time, I submitted the passport on Friday (Jul 11) and I received the passport today (Jul 16). I took a road trip for 7 hours to submit it in person and the passport was mailed back to me in express mail.

But I have a question, the address on the back of my new passport is not my India address and it is my current address in US. Is it because of my length of stay in US or is it an error? I have been in the US for ~ 8 years now.

Please share your experiences with me... Thank you!!

wandmaker
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Dear IV users,

FYI...I just received my passport from chicago consulate after renewal. They had a very quick turnaround time, I submitted the passport on Friday (Jul 11) and I received the passport today (Jul 16). I took a road trip for 7 hours to submit it in person and the passport was mailed back to me in express mail.

But I have a question, the address on the back of my new passport is not my India address and it is my current address in US. Is it because of my length of stay in US or is it an error? I have been in the US for ~ 8 years now.

Please share your experiences with me... Thank you!!

If you have stayed in the US continuously for more than 3 years in the US (or any country) without visiting India then the address will contain US address otherwise India address. I clarified with CGI Chicago.

desijackass
09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
The wording on the website for the Indian consulate in Chicago is kind of confusing.

My passport will expire in 10 months (June 2009) , can I apply for a passport renewal today? or do I have to wait until there is only 6 months left (jan 2009)?

desijackass
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Ok sorry found an answer on the San Francisco website
http://www.cgisf.org/ when you click on the passport icon. It says that passport can be renewed within one year of expiry!
thanks

485Mbe4001
09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
My wife renewed her passport by mail at the SFO consulate last week. I must say that i was impressed by the service. We got the passport in 6 working days, the only supporting documents we sent were a notraized color copy of the EAD and an original of the the utility bill. We sent the application on 23rd august and got the passport yesterday.

skumar9
09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I sne t my old passport in mail to CGISF by filling online, i got it in 3 days..