PDA

View Full Version : How long to GC after priority date becomes current

cucubau
10-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Does a current PD mean you're getting your GC in a few weeks or does it mean "we've started working on it, we'll let you know":)

Thanks!

dixie
10-17-2006, 04:13 AM
It means you will be able to get your EAD in a few weeks, based on your ability to file for I-485. The real thing ... well it can take anywhere between 8-9 months to more than 3 years, depending on how quickly FBI completes your name check and how slow or fast the USCIS service center is.

Does a current PD mean you're getting your GC in a few weeks or does it mean "we've started working on it, we'll let you know":)

Thanks!

cucubau
10-17-2006, 04:39 AM
It means you will be able to get your EAD in a few weeks, based on your ability to file for I-485. The real thing ... well it can take anywhere between 8-9 months to more than 3 years, depending on how quickly FBI completes your name check and how slow or fast the USCIS service center is.

Assuming I filed for I-485 before the retrogression mess.

Thanks!

starving_dog
10-17-2006, 07:31 AM
It took me 6 days to get my approval and about another week to get the card in the mail. This happened in September of this year and I was registered in the Texas Service Center.

That is assuming that you have gone through your biometrics appointment.

qualified_trash
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM

While it does mean you WILL be able to get your EAD. you have to apply for the EAD when filing for 485. for people who have a valid H1, it makes sense to apply for an EAD for the spouse.

qplearn
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
It took me 6 days to get my approval and about another week to get the card in the mail. This happened in September of this year and I was registered in the Texas Service Center.

That is assuming that you have gone through your biometrics appointment.

If the Skil bill passes, a lot of people will have their PDs current. At that time, if their 485 processing is complete (according to new guidelines if they show date X/X/XX on the service centers, it means they are done with your processing), I wonder what will happen. When USCIS says, it is done with processing your 485, it may not mean it is done with the name check. So starving dog's name check was also complete by the time they finished processing his/her485.

qplearn

GCSOON-Ihope
10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Assuming I filed for I-485 before the retrogression mess.

Thanks!

A co-worker and I applied together at exactly the same time.
We got approvals for LC and I-140 within weeks of each other.
Now, our PD became current in September 2006, he got approved a few days ago and...I found out I am stuck in the name check shit!
FYI, his name is extremely common and mine is extremely rare (in my entire life, I have never met someone with the same name!), so go figure...:confused: :confused: :confused:

cucubau
10-17-2006, 02:51 PM
A co-worker and I applied together at exactly the same time.
We got approvals for LC and I-140 within weeks of each other.
Now, our PD became current in September 2006, he got approved a few days ago and...I found out I am stuck in the name check shit!
FYI, his name is extremely common and mine is extremely rare (in my entire life, I have never met someone with the same name!), so go figure...:confused: :confused: :confused:

This shouldn't be a problem if you are a law obeying citizen :D How do you find out the status of the FBI name clearance? You wait until PD becomes current and nothing happens then place an inquiry with BCIS?

Thanks!

GCSOON-Ihope
10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
This shouldn't be a problem if you are a law obeying citizen :D How do you find out the status of the FBI name clearance? You wait until PD becomes current and nothing happens then place an inquiry with BCIS?

Thanks!

This is indeed exactly what I did. After my PD (01/2002) became current on 09/01, I waited two weeks then inquired about the status of my case: the first time, they told me they were still waiting for the FBI name check to clear and, the second time to find out that the name check had been pending since...08/2004 (when I filed I-485):mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

vicks_don
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Can we find out the status of namecheck from USCIS or from any FBI website during retrogresssion. I applied 485 an year ago. Can i find out if atleast the name check is cleared even though my PD is not current.

sands_14
10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
What is yr name if I may ask?

GCSOON-Ihope
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Can we find out the status of namecheck from USCIS or from any FBI website during retrogresssion. I applied 485 an year ago. Can i find out if atleast the name check is cleared even though my PD is not current.

They usually initiate the name check process shortly after filing I-485.
Since yours was filed a year ago, then of course it would be very interesting to know your status regarding the damn name check, retrogression or not.
However, this info is not always easy to get. You might try several ways: call Customer service, make Infopass appointment...In the ultimate case, you will have to ask your Congressman to inquire for you...
I personaly e-mailed USCIS California Center (CSC-XII.485@dhs.gov). What's really weird is that the first two times they responded within a week but the third time, when I "naively" asked if they could expedite that name check, the reply was an automated message:
"we no longer reply to e-mails, for all inquiries call Customer service bla bla bla..."!!!
I suppose I was just lucky the first times! The third time maybe they just got fed up with my "stupid" questions??!!:confused: