PDA

View Full Version : INFOPASS appointment experiences

chintu25
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Request to all Ivians who took Infopass appointments to share their experiences here along with their opinions and what effect they think that the INFOPASS appointment had/will have ON THEIR CASES.

Thanks

chintu25
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Bump

calgirl
08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I had an Infopass appointment today at San Jose.
The lady was very nice.
She told me that FP was cleared but my NC was pending.
She told me when it was initiated. She said she will put a SR as with the new rule as long as NC > 180 days, they can give me a GC. But she also said, by the time they look at SR and respond it could take 30-60 days and who knows if I will still be current.

PD: Mar 2006 EB2 India

Request to all Ivians who took Infopass appointments to share their experiences here along with their opinions and what effect they think that the INFOPASS appointment had/will have ON THEIR CASES.

Thanks

chintu25
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the update

anjans
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
The lady was very nice.
She told me when it was initiated. She said she will put a SR as with the new rule as long as NC > 180 days, they can give me a GC. But she also said, by the time they look at SR and respond it could take 30-60 days and who knows if I will still be current.

how did you get a infopass appt? the web does not give you options to take one if you just have a pending case? Did you file a SR over the phone?

calgirl
08-06-2008, 02:42 PM
http://infopass.uscis.gov/

You can take one from here.

how did you get a infopass appt? the web does not give you options to take one if you just have a pending case? Did you file a SR over the phone?

anjans
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Which option did you select when it lists the 4 bullets??

godspeed
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
The lady was very nice.

Can you let us know what are the documents you took for this appt?
485 notice, 140 approval notice? 180days NC memo copy?

irock
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
This is what I did.
Goto https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

Select Make your appointment with infopass. Enter zip code.

Select fourth option "You need information or other services".
Which option did you select when it lists the 4 bullets??

irock
08-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Today I'd an infopass appointment today at San Jose.

CSR at counter took I-485 receipt and said case is with IO officer. And also said case looks good and no problems with my case. When I tried to ask about name check -- he didn't allow me to finish. He said, When I said no problems means -- finger prints are OK, background check is OK, name check is OK.

crossing my fingers.

PD: EB2, Aug 2004.
RD: Last week of july 2007.
case is at NSC.
NO LUDs on my or my wife's I485. no LUD even after our FP.
soft LUD on my approved I-140 and I-131 on 27th July 2008.

solaris27
08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
4th option-

Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

how do we get Service Request ID ?

solaris27
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
i talked to CS today and he was nice person to tell me that my NC etc are cleared and my case can be approved any time :) ...

just waiting for this to happen this week as by monday new visa bullatin will come and no one knows how they play this time.

i saw many people from 2006 are getting approved but don't know why my case which is cleared not getting approved .....

intheyan
08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I know about the finger print and also Name check
What does Background check means...
Would anyone answer this.

Today I'd an infopass appointment today at San Jose.

CSR at counter took I-485 receipt and said case is with IO officer. And also said case looks good and no problems with my case. When I tried to ask about name check -- he didn't allow me to finish. He said, When I said no problems means -- finger prints are OK, background check is OK, name check is OK.

crossing my fingers.

PD: EB2, Aug 2004.
RD: Last week of july 2007.
case is at NSC.
NO LUDs on my or my wife's I485. no LUD even after our FP.
soft LUD on my approved I-140 and I-131 on 27th July 2008.

needGCcool
08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
solaris, Do you know if you case has been assigned to any IO? Did you see any LUDs on 140/485? My PD is March 2005/EB2 with simillar checks cleared....

drirshad
08-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Service Request ID is the Referral# you get on opening an SR.

I went for Infopass yesterday and the io looked lethargic acted like one. Could not get answer to any question,don't know why they pay such waste of all. Only thing she would share is the app is pending, I asked due to name check - says we cannot discuss if it for that reason for security purpose.

4th option-

Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

how do we get Service Request ID ?

solaris27
08-09-2008, 07:32 AM
no lud's on 140/485

transpass
08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I know about the finger print and also Name check
What does Background check means...
Would anyone answer this.

The IO I spoke to said that name check is at a lower level and background check is more detailed...Usually, for most people background check has hardly any info in it... She said that for example, if you are from certain countries, visited some countries, etc., then it creates some red flags and they perform extensive check which becomes part of background check...Looks like name check is sort of subset of background check... Atleast that's what I understood...

calboy78
08-09-2008, 11:40 PM
The lady was very nice.

Hi Calgirl,
Was your appointment at Monterey rd ? (not sure if USCIS has other offices in San Jose). I am planning to take one too...hopefully same lady will help me out :D

InTheMoment
08-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Background check refers to a check in the IBIS network of databases. If there is a hit for a name (or similar sounding name) these people usually have the infamous "extended review" or "additional review" that hold up their cases. In a way though a comparatively small number are affected by a hit on these checks, the case cannot move forward like the FBI name check which can after 180 + days.

From USCIS Fact Sheet: www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/security_checks_42506.pdf

The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check— IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.

smartboy75
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Background check refers to a check in the IBIS network of databases. If there is a hit for a name (or similar sounding name) these people usually have the infamous "extended review" or "additional review" that hold up their cases. In a way though a comparatively small number are affected by a hit on these checks, the case cannot move forward like the FBI name check which can after 180 + days.

From USCIS Fact Sheet: www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/security_checks_42506.pdf

The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check— IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.
I am one of the unlucky ones I guess....I was told last week that my case is under extended review.....extensive research on various immigration website have revealed that people have been stuck in this for as long as 6 years.....rare but has happened ..and the average time is 3 years ...and the sad part is they do not reveal anything...its a black hole and all u can do is wait and pray.....

Wish nobody goes through this ever...

my 2 cents

gc_kaavaali
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
What are the documents i need to take for infopass appointment? Few documents listed below; Let me know if i need to carry any other documents;

- I-485 Receipt
- I-140 Receipt
- Driving License (or any ID)

redcard
08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check— IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.[/QUOTE]

If IBIS is what they use.. should it not be the same database used by the consulate when you go for stamping ?... I do know that the agecies give higher priority to pending cases that come from consulate to clear name checks..than those that come for people within the country... or thru the USCIS routine system..

nashim
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I took only a copy of infopass appointment confirmation letter, 485 receipt number and DL

rkm
08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Today I took an infopass apointment at 10 am. IO told me that mine and my wife NC cleared..

I was there at 9.30. I need to wait for an hour to speak to IO.

Take appointments early in the morning. This is at Newark.

techskill
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
i talked to CS today and he was nice person to tell me that my NC etc are cleared and my case can be approved any time :) ...

just waiting for this to happen this week as by monday new visa bullatin will come and no one knows how they play this time.

i saw many people from 2006 are getting approved but don't know why my case which is cleared not getting approved .....

I am July 2004. Still waiting...

sparuthi
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I had an Infopass appointment in San Francisco last week for Name Check. The IO said USCIS has stopped holding the name check information.. Thereafter I inquired about the status of my case and they did not have any information other than what we all know i.e processing times.. The funny thing was that she said the centers are processing based on Notice Date of 485 and not the Receipt Date.. which kind of confused me. ...so the whole trip to SF was just waste of time

I then called NSC the next day and to my surprise I was told by the IO that my name check has been cleared and the case is awaiting to be assigned to an officer.

PD- March 2006
RD- July 26, 2007
ND- August 27, 2007

So my conclusion is that Infopass is just a waste of time or it might be that the IOs there have different IQ levels and some are better than others.

cheers

Sidharth

smartboy75
08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I am July 2004. Still waiting...

May 2004...Still Waiting ...

titu1972
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Last week I went for infopass. The lady told me my Name check is cleared but background check is still pending. Few days back I talked with IO over phone, he told everything is cleared and pending assign to officer.

I don't know whom to trust.

eb2dec2005
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
To all members who took an infopass, did you see an LUD on your I485 afer meeting an Immigration Officer?

Please let me know,

ss_col
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I had an infopass today which was useless. No LUD whatsoever.

gc_kaavaali
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi,

Today i had infopass appointment in Denver Colorado. IO said no matter what my NC has to be cleared before it can be approved. When i told him about '485 can be approved if NC pending for more than 180 days', he said it is applicable only after June 2009. Until then every person has to clear NC before it can be approved. He asked me to check back in November 2008 (by then all NC will be cleared if it is pending for more than one year).

calgirl
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
When was your NC initiated and when was the NC cleared?

Thanks.

I had an Infopass appointment in San Francisco last week for Name Check. The IO said USCIS has stopped holding the name check information.. Thereafter I inquired about the status of my case and they did not have any information other than what we all know i.e processing times.. The funny thing was that she said the centers are processing based on Notice Date of 485 and not the Receipt Date.. which kind of confused me. ...so the whole trip to SF was just waste of time

I then called NSC the next day and to my surprise I was told by the IO that my name check has been cleared and the case is awaiting to be assigned to an officer.

PD- March 2006
RD- July 26, 2007
ND- August 27, 2007

So my conclusion is that Infopass is just a waste of time or it might be that the IOs there have different IQ levels and some are better than others.

cheers

Sidharth

calgirl
08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Nope.No LUD after Infopass for me.

To all members who took an infopass, did you see an LUD on your I485 afer meeting an Immigration Officer?

Please let me know,

needGCcool
08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
No LUD after Infopass for self and a friend. We both visited last week. However, I had a LUD on Friday for self and today for my wife.

sparuthi
08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
When was your NC initiated and when was the NC cleared?

Thanks.

I have no idea when it was initiated. The IO on the phone was very politewas went into the system to say that NC was cleared and that case is pending to be assigned to a officer. Now when the case will be assigned, I have no idea.

However I also know of a case where the IO on the phone from Nebraska said that she cannot tell about NC..so there is a lot of inconsistency in the working of USCIS--- one has to be lucky enough to get the answer one wants to hear..

calgirl
08-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks sparuthi..

I have no idea when it was initiated. The IO on the phone was very politewas went into the system to say that NC was cleared and that case is pending to be assigned to a officer. Now when the case will be assigned, I have no idea.

However I also know of a case where the IO on the phone from Nebraska said that she cannot tell about NC..so there is a lot of inconsistency in the working of USCIS--- one has to be lucky enough to get the answer one wants to hear..

godspeed
08-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Folks,

I just came out of an infopass appt at atlanta branch.
They are rather slow but very nice.

The IO told me that everything is clear (FP,NC) and that our case has been assigned to IO and is under review. We have to just wait.

She wouldnt tell me how long its gonna take or how come ppl with later pd are getting GC's while old PD's are still hanging around.

I asked her if a visa# was assigned to my case, to which she replied she dosent have access to that info since it pertains to that center and visa# are assigned at center level.

So, the wait continues atleast i now know that our(self and spouse) FP,NC are cleared.

Just thought of sharing this info.

needGCcool
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Dude, this is good news. Do you know or you asked how long does it take for review cycle....? Just wondering...My PD is little earlier than yours and was wondering....as I learnt that my case is the final stages of review...I am wondering how many stages...

Folks,

I just came out of an infopass appt at atlanta branch.
They are rather slow but very nice.

The IO told me that everything is clear (FP,NC) and that our case has been assigned to IO and is under review. We have to just wait.

She wouldnt tell me how long its gonna take or how come ppl with later pd are getting GC's while old PD's are still hanging around.

I asked her if a visa# was assigned to my case, to which she replied she dosent have access to that info since it pertains to that center and visa# are assigned at center level.

So, the wait continues atleast i now know that our(self and spouse) FP,NC are cleared.

Just thought of sharing this info.

godspeed
08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Dude, this is good news. Do you know or you asked how long does it take for review cycle....? Just wondering...My PD is little earlier than yours and was wondering....as I learnt that my case is the final stages of review...I am wondering how many stages...

well, i was not aware of this fact, hence didnt ask.
things we learn everyday!!!!

anilvt
08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I had Infopass at FAIRFAX,VA and IO told me my case looks good
I asked her about namecheck and she said don't worry about it since 180 day rule and for security reasons she can't disclose it
She took copy of my 485 and wrote my home no on it
She said she can not initiate an SR since it has take 30 days past processing date
She was good and co-operative
Can anyone tell when can i raise SR? I filed on July2nd