PDA

View Full Version : starting green card process. Is this a good time?

mrdelhiite
07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
One of my good friend asked me this questions yesterday? I did not have an answer for him and wanted to ask if someone could have any suggestions on this.

Thanks you for your time.

His company wants to start his EB2 green card process. He was wondering if this a good time to do this? Is it recommended that he delay this process for 6 months or so? He is currently in his 3rd year of H1B.

Thanks
-M

uma001
07-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, it is better to delay it until economy picks up and unemployment rate goes down to 5%...otherwise he will get lot of queries. BTW nobody is willing to file green card at this time.

pmat
07-24-2009, 04:28 PM
More details are needed to answer this question better.

I think that any time is a good time - it is better to start the process early. If the company is paying for the process - what is the harm. He should go ahead... If he is planning to leave the company and is required to sign some type of agreement to start GC process - then it will be a different story.

One of my good friend asked me this questions yesterday? I did not have an answer for him and wanted to ask if someone could have any suggestions on this.

His company wants to start his EB2 green card process. He was wondering if this a good time to do this? Is it recommended that he delay this process for 6 months or so? He is currently in his 3rd year of H1B.

Thanks
-M

uma001
07-24-2009, 04:41 PM
More details are needed to answer this question better.

I think that any time is a good time - it is better to start the process early. If the company is paying for the process - what is the harm. He should go ahead... If he is planning to leave the company and is required to sign some type of agreement to start GC process - then it will be a different story.

Well, If they file it now, they get queries like ' Why do you need this guy when there are so many americans looking for job. Need detailed documentation and business necessities to sponsor green card for this person'...this happened to three of my friends recently.

Finally it is up to you whether you want to go ahead now or later.

mrdelhiite
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your replies.

His company is paying for it. It is a F500 company. He was concerned that filing green card now might jeopardize his current full time position in case of too many replies and RFE's.

-M

windycloud
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Difficult times also present opportunities. Anyone who can start it, especially in EB2, can really benefit from the timing simply because there are MUCH fewer people going for it these days for different reasons. Wait till everything turns rosy again and you'll find yourself among hundreds of thousands of fellow GC pursuers. Sitting in the huge PD2011 queue while watching PD2008 - 2010 people getting fast approvals won't be fun.

The best time to start GC process is always yesterday. And if scrutiny is the concern, let's face it, there is not a good time for it. It's always worrisome until you get that card.

graviyera
07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
.....is marriage. If one is planning to get married soon, it is better to get married and jointly file for spouse after he/she is here.

Leo07
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
It's a good time. Sooner than Later...

uma001
07-24-2009, 06:07 PM
If they receive too many responses during advertizing period, they may not process your gc. That is all to it. At that time u might chill out and wait for a year or so and reply. If your skills are in demand, I do not see a reason to wait. It is always better to take a dive as early as possible. Good luck.

Absolutely correct. This is the experience I had in my case. My company is fortune 550 company. They received lot of responses when they posted ads. I could not beleive the repsonse I got from VP. And they do not want to file green card now. He simply said 'he found candidates' :(

mrdelhiite
07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have shared the information with him. He just told me that he has a PD back in 2006 EB2 from his last company. He filed Labor + 140 (approved) but did not file I-485 (sorry i did not ask him or he told me earlier).. so now that his PD is fixed you guys think he should wait ?.. His Category for filing will be the same .. Does that help reducing RFE's ?

Please suggest.

Thanks
-M

LostInGCProcess
07-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for your replies. I have shared the information with him. He just told me that he has a PD back in 2006 EB2 from his last company. He filed Labor + 140 (approved) but did not file I-485 (sorry i did not ask him or he told me earlier).. so now that his PD is fixed you guys think he should wait ?.. His Category for filing will be the same .. Does that help reducing RFE's ?

Please suggest.

Thanks
-M

It would be nice if your friend becomes a member of IV and ask the questions himself and be part of the whole immigration process...instead of asking you to post those questions and act as a middleman.

There are so many valuable members in IV community who can give great suggestions. First hand information is always better then passing thru a middle layer...just my opinion.

Cheers

akred
07-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Go ahead and start the process if the company is willing to do it. Ultimately, the DOL, not the employer, will decide whether to deny the LC, certify it or sit on it for 5 years before certifying it.

mrdelhiite
07-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your answers. I have already asked my friend to join IV.

Is there anyone who has recently filed labor - PERM ? Can you share your experience?

-M

imneedy
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
.....is marriage. If one is planning to get married soon, it is better to get married and jointly file for spouse after he/she is here.

This is not correct, you only have to worry about spouse at I-485 stage.

chi_shark
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Tell your friend that it will be more fun to watch grass grow than filing for gc...

just kidding... if he just needs I-140 approved so he can continue to get 3 year H-1 extensions, then its a good idea to start PERM.

Thanks
-M

nousername
09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
More than the economy, companies willingness to pay, agreement, etc I think it is very important for the applicant to understand the delays s/he "might" face while the GC process is ongoing. As we all know it can take as much as up to 10 years for the GC. During this processing time, some of us decide not to take risk and avoid things like expanding the family, buying a house, etc, etc (everyone has their own list).. Which is totally understandable but is GC worth putting your life on hold?

If the answer is no then go for it man and apply but if the answer is yes then you might want to reconsider the GC thing..

At the end of the day it is very important for the applicant to set their priorities and expectations right, as mid-way many of use get really frustrated..

But again, there is no good or bad time to file for GC if you know what you want then by all means go for it.

Disclaimer: I am not discouraging anyone from applying for the GC. Everyone should go for it as bigger the line bigger the pain, result bigger the gain for all of us :)

Thanks
-M