PDA

View Full Version : Post your situation on USA today online

MA001
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
See this link, give your comments ( I suggest to be brief & to the point).

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/10/immigration_is_.html

pappu
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
See this link, give your comments ( I suggest to be brief & to the point).

pls. try to also post IV link in your reply on usatoday.com

nixstor
10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Has any one sent an email to editor@usatoday.com?

nixstor
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I tried to post a couple of times and they are not getting posted. Does the comments need to be reviewed by some one before they get posted? Is it instantaneous?

styrum
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I tried to post a couple of times and they are not getting posted. Does the comments need to be reviewed by some one before they get posted? Is it instantaneous?
They are not instantaneous. Mine showed up in an hour for sure.

FinalGC
10-30-2006, 04:46 PM
I was reading the USA Today articles and I have a suggestion...guys please try to do spell check before you submit to such forums. It looks bad on us especially when we call ourselves skilled immigrants.

One glaring error that I saw was this guy with a MBA from Stanford Univ and he wrote it as "Standford Univ"......Is there a univ called "Standford"???? I tried googling it but did not find it...I hope it was not somebody from our group....

abcdefgh
10-30-2006, 05:07 PM
They check the contenct before they post it

anilsal
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I was reading the USA Today articles and I have a suggestion...guys please try to do spell check before you submit to such forums. It looks bad on us especially when we call ourselves skilled immigrants.

One glaring error that I saw was this guy with a MBA from Stanford Univ and he wrote it as "Standford Univ"......Is there a univ called "Standford"???? I tried googling it but did not find it...I hope it was not somebody from our group....

That even applies to discussion on IV. If law makers have a look at the IV forums (after they have been appraised of the existence of IV) and see lots of posts that lack basic grammatical skills and in urgent need of spell checks, then you know, what goes on in their mind(s).

Simple spelling mistakes are fine, but if a post needs spell checks a lot, either the person who posted does not care or needs a good spellchecker.

Good that you brought this issue up. Are we not talking of Skilled Immigration? If yes, then let us all do some homework (run a spell checker, to make sure things are going to appear nice for readers).

Sorry if I appear rude. We are in this fight together and we need to come out successful :)

nixstor
10-30-2006, 05:32 PM

I understand what you are saying but its difficult for people to check their typos when posting online. I mean not every one has that time when they are juggling things. It's not M$oft outlook right :) B T W, I am not the one who posted it.

anilsal
10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
I understand what you are saying but its difficult for people to check their typos when posting online. I mean not every one has that time when they are juggling things. It's not M$oft outlook right :) B T W, I am not the one who posted it.
I think if the person misspelt Stanford once, it is fine. If there have been multiple references and he misspelt all of them, then there is a problem.

My opinion (and mine only) is that if we claim high skills/higher education for our immigration, then we should be able to type decent english even with eyes closed. ;)

go_gc_way
10-30-2006, 11:54 PM

It could be key board of the computer not working right .. ;)

I will not worry too much about it . .. For those who do not have lot time to check spellings, I would suggest to put a disclaimer on the top, "you may encounter spell mistakes due to key boadd not functioning right." :D

anilsal
10-31-2006, 12:42 AM
USA Today is posting messages that are valid. I posted my story and it has been posted.

If you are reading this thread, please post your story at:

Just imagine what a story in USA Today will do to our cause. It is a national news paper.

Look at what an American Professor has to say:

=====================================
There is a cry going around the country regarding the lack of American students opting to enroll for advanced degrees in the field of math and science.

At first I was cynical about this news and was quick to dismiss it as elitist and corporate propoganda directed purely to hire international workers at lower wages. But to my disappointment the facts are staring me right in the face in this regard.

I am currently employed as a professor in the electrical engineering dept. of a accredited university and I am sad to see American students no longer aspiring to get advanced degrees in science and math oriented fields.They enter the workforce after getting a BS and after working only for a couple of years change their career track either to sales/management/marketing.

This has resulted in a huge vacumn in the research programs of most universities which is being filled by international students. Most of these international students complete their advanced degree with the help of scholarships and financial aid offered by the university.

This aid is available for American students on a priority basis in most institutions around the country but there are simply not enough American students up for it. Also due to visa restrictions these very students are not able to get jobs in the US quickly and as a result leave our system with precious knowledge to create wealth some place else in the world.

I understand that we are losing jobs due to outsourcing and offshoring, but that can't be avoided in a globalized economy. On the other hand there are enough jobs being created for advanced degree holders in science and math oriented fields like engineering and human sciences in the US economy.

The most disturbing aspect in this discussion is the scientific accompalishments by America put forward by many people as examples to show that the American educational sysems is hale and hearty. Many people are still harping on the man on the moon issue even after 30 plus years. They should realized that this is a thing of the past and we cannot rest on our laurels.

Legal high skilled immigration should be encouraged as it is by other nations like Canada and UK. We should not lose this fight for global talent or else we will not be able to recover from this loss for a long time.
Posted by: kennytownhall | Oct 30, 2006 2:23:55 PM
================================================== =

Jelena
11-04-2006, 12:58 AM
I understand what you are saying but its difficult for people to check their typos when posting online.

There are online spell-checkers available. Here is the one that I use all the time: http://www.orfo.ru/online/ (click on [Eng] icon in the top right corner if it appears in Russian). It only shows the errors and does not suggest the correct spelling, but hey - it's free. :)

nixstor
11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
There are online spell-checkers available. Here is the one that I use all the time: http://www.orfo.ru/online/ (click on [Eng] icon in the top right corner if it appears in Russian). It only shows the errors and does not suggest the correct spelling, but hey - it's free. :)

Its not about not being able to find a free spell checker. Its about doing it amidst of 10 diff things. Hope that makes sense. Its good not to have spelling mistakes, but I wouldnt consider 1 or 2 typos as a big issue.