PDA

View Full Version : Oct.2008 Official Bulletin is out

inskrish
09-11-2008, 04:20 PM
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4357.html

InTheMoment
09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Official VB has the same cut-off dates as on the Mumbai Consulate website.

EB Guidance as per the official Oct '08 VB:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
E. EMPLOYMENT VISA AVAILABILITY

Item E of the May 2008 Visa Bulletin (number 118, volume VIII) indicated that many Employment cut-off dates had been advancing very rapidly, based on indications that the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) would need to review a significantly larger pool of applicants than there were numbers available in order to maximize number use under the FY-2008 annual limits. That item also indicated that if the CIS projections proved to be incorrect, it would be necessary to adjust the cut-off dates during the final quarter of FY-2008. The CIS estimates have proven to be very high resulting in: 1) the “unavailability” of all Employment Third preference categories beginning in July, 2) the “unavailability” of numbers for China and India Employment Second preference adjustment of status cases during September, and 3) the establishment of many October Employment cut-off dates which are earlier than those which applied during FY-2008.

Little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum.

tnite
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Official VB has the same dates as the cut-off dates on the Mumbai Consulate website.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Item E of the May 2008 Visa Bulletin (number 118, volume VIII) indicated that many Employment cut-off dates had been advancing very rapidly, based on indications that the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) would need to review a significantly larger pool of applicants than there were numbers available in order to maximize number use under the FY-2008 annual limits. That item also indicated that if the CIS projections proved to be incorrect, it would be necessary to adjust the cut-off dates during the final quarter of FY-2008. The CIS estimates have proven to be very high resulting in: 1) the “unavailability” of all Employment Third preference categories beginning in July, 2) the “unavailability” of numbers for China and India Employment Second preference adjustment of status cases during September, and 3) the establishment of many October Employment cut-off dates which are earlier than those which applied during FY-2008.

Little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum.

What this confirms is something ppl heard during their infopass appts that Eb2 I visa numbers werent available during september..

optimystic
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4357.html

Thx !

Section E.) attempts to explain all away the reasons for all the anamolies that we have seen in PD date movements in the past couple months... How easy it is for USCIS to just explain it all away with just "Our estimates were high..."
:(

The section also states

"Little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum"

Not very good news. Looks like 5882 is the only hope.

I hope they revisit very old PDs in a better manner at least now and clear up that backlog. Hoping my case gets picked up too.

masouds
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum.
Wait, they need a crystal ball for that? Wasn't that, like, written in immigration act?

lord_labaku
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Looks to me DOS is genuinely trying to match USCIS demand iteratively within a months time. But this Newton - Raphson like iterative convergence seems to find no equilibrium point & seems to oscillate unstably around pole zero.

Looks like USCIS is the culprit in trying to keep changing the equation after every iteration.

Now that DOS has pulled the date so far back...I hope they try linear progression of priority dates to avoid backlash error.

optimystic
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by InTheMoment
It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum.

Would there be any reason why the limit would be less than the minimum 140,000 !! Is the USCIS subliminally trying to tell us something...? (like may be they may use some of these numbers towards approving Sept 08 cases, since the numbers prematurely became 'U' ?! )

mpadapa
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
This means that this year there won't be many unused FB visa's rolling into EB limit. In 2008 22k FB visa's rolled into EB limit.

Without HR 5882 the future looks bleak. Let us all call our lawmakers and contribute to IV so that we can lobby hard for HR 5882

Wait, they need a crystal ball for that? Wasn't that, like, written in immigration act?

la_guy
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
In one way, I like the visa bulletin. Its good that we (EB2 and EB3) are together now... earlier there was a caste system, (EB2 and EB3)...from october bulletin, its gone... We are together now... HR 5882 is the only hope... CALL AND SUPPORT IV...

gclongwaytogo
09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
ooops...sorry. i was looking at china date!

shirish
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
looks like you looked at eb2 - china

chanduv23
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM

You are looking at eb2 China not India

gclongwaytogo
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
sorry for any confusion. i still couldn't believe that the dates could move so far in the past...

virald
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Would there be any reason why the limit would be less than the minimum 140,000 !! Is the USCIS subliminally trying to tell us something...? (like may be they may use some of these numbers towards approving Sept 08 cases, since the numbers prematurely became 'U' ?! )

I understand you are just trying to be optimistic, but what you are stating isn't realistic. Why would USCIS want to send a subliminal message to any of us? (Not being critical here)

GoldRod
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Guys, what USICS or our folks under estimated is the impact of BEC. There are tens of thousand of applications from BEC now reached to a stage where USICS can count for the purpose of priority data.

Can anybody give estimation of BEC applications number for EB-2 and EB-3?

gc_dedo
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Thx !

Section E.) attempts to explain all away the reasons for all the anamolies that we have seen in PD date movements in the past couple months... How easy it is for USCIS to just explain it all away with just "Our estimates were high..."
:(

The section also states

"Little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. It is estimated that the FY-2009 Employment-based annual limit will be very close to the 140,000 minimum"

Not very good news. Looks like 5882 is the only hope.

I hope they revisit very old PDs in a better manner at least now and clear up that backlog. Hoping my case gets picked up too.
Why is it so hard for CIS to determine backlog of old priority dates.
Why cant they hire one of us and we will build them a application which queries the DB properly and picks up approvable oldest priority dates

Desichakit
09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
After Last Year's Fiasco, at Least DOS has learnt its lesson. Do not rescind any thing and make Sure that USCIS followns Numerical Limit for the Year which will keep them safe. Leave enogh caveats that they Can Say "I told You So"

485Mbe4001
09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
"little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. "

:mad: !@#$ idiots, they cannot even predict how long it will take them to figure out the extent of the backlog...in the mean time we keep waiting for them to get their house in order. i swear to god if anything like this happened in the private sector, entire departments would have been laid off. These guys are playing with our careers (and life to a certain extent) and there are no repurcussions. :mad:

reedandbamboo
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
"little if any forward movement of the cut-off dates in most Employment categories is likely until the extent of the CIS backlog of old priority dates can be determined. "

:mad: !@#$ idiots, they cannot even predict how long it will take them to figure out the extent of the backlog...in the mean time we keep waiting for them to get their house in order. i swear to god if anything like this happened in the private sector, entire departments would have been laid off. These guys are playing with our careers (and life to a certain extent) and there are no repurcussions. :mad:

Join us in exposing this .. go here:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21340&highlight=organized

pointlesswait
09-11-2008, 05:47 PM
the fact is they dont want londonisthan in US...hence only desis are being canned ..

eb2_immigrant
09-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought VB dates are basically cut off dates to file I-485. Now that most of us have already done that, the 485 approvals are primarily dependent on the visa numbers available for a category and not cut off date.

I think people who have filed 485 should be checking the processing dates rather than the cut off dates. If the processing date is outside the 485 filing date then we can ask for a service request.

TX processing date for 485 EB is Jun 18; shouldn’t I be concerned about movement in this date rather than what VB dates are????

People whose I-140 gets approved before end of this month should try to file their 485 before the oct VB kicks in.

xeixas
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM

These guys are funny... after the July fiasco they should have in their system all the data that would tell them how many I-485 applications there are for each country and each EB Category. It should be extremely easy to determine the repercussion of the cut-off dates based on the existing number of cases filed... but instead of looking at their data they prefer to keep guessing...

yagw
09-11-2008, 06:03 PM

I thought VB dates are basically cut off dates to file I-485. Now that most of us have already done that, the 485 approvals are primarily dependent on the visa numbers available for a category and not cut off date.

I think people who have filed 485 should be checking the processing dates rather than the cut off dates. If the processing date is outside the 485 filing date then we can ask for a service request.

TX processing date for 485 EB is Jun 18; shouldn’t I be concerned about movement in this date rather than what VB dates are????

People whose I-140 gets approved before end of this month should try to file their 485 before the oct VB kicks in.

If your 485 is pending, they wont assign a visa number unless the PD is current. That said, if they already assigned a visa number for your case, then you might even get the approval in oct, though the PD is not current. But most of the pending 485s are not that lucky.

485Mbe4001
09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
to the person who gave me the comment "leave then", please explain/elaborate on your comment so that i can restate my case. My post did not talk about leaving the country. I was simply expressing my frustration that the way USCIS conducts its business...are you offended because you work there or something:confused:

jamesbond007
09-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Isn't it amazingly ridiculous that they even wrote that sentence in the VB, considering the fact that there are people waiting with a 2001 and earlier PD?
And they even acknowledged that there are about 500K AOS petitions pending? Shame on them.
It appears USCIS so got used to wasting the yearly numbers that it has become just "matter of fact" for them.

prem_goel
09-11-2008, 06:35 PM
These guys are funny... after the July fiasco they should have in their system all the data that would tell them how many I-485 applications there are for each country and each EB Category. It should be extremely easy to determine the repercussion of the cut-off dates based on the existing number of cases filed... but instead of looking at their data they prefer to keep guessing...

To show them how to join tables and get counts :D

calgirl
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
So now we can assume that India EB2 will not get ANY ANY Approval in month of September..
Am I right? Since they claim there are no numbers available for EB2 India and China..
This is soooo disheartening..

inskrish
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Someone seems angry with my 'Oct.2008 Official bullettin date' thread and gave me red dot with following comment.

"Your own comment on this post?"

abracadabra102
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Looks to me DOS is genuinely trying to match USCIS demand iteratively within a months time. But this Newton - Raphson like iterative convergence seems to find no equilibrium point & seems to oscillate unstably around pole zero.

Looks like USCIS is the culprit in trying to keep changing the equation after every iteration.

Now that DOS has pulled the date so far back...I hope they try linear progression of priority dates to avoid backlash error.

Hi lord_labaku,

Good to see someone mention Newton-Raphson method. It's been a long time. :D

abracadabra102
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Why is it so hard for CIS to determine backlog of old priority dates.
Why cant they hire one of us and we will build them a application which queries the DB properly and picks up approvable oldest priority dates

DOS bulletin confirms what many of us have been suspecting for a long time, that USCIS can not count/know the number of pending applications and they certainly can not sort on PD. This is the reason why many 2006 PDs got approved ahead of earlier PDs. This is also the reason why the cutoff dates vary wildly from month to month. We underestimate the level of incompetence at USCIS.

We should volunteer and tell USCIS that we are willing to help them (free of cost) extract data and sort on PD. This at least shames them to re-visit their process/workflow.

indianindian2006
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Someone seems angry with my 'Oct.2008 Official bullettin date' thread and gave me red dot with following comment.

"Your own comment on this post?"

It has eaten up my 100 reputation points that I earned hard.:mad:

Gave you some green..............

ksrk
09-11-2008, 07:35 PM

For the I-485 approval to come through, your PD needs to be current (so the USCIS can assign a visa number to your case). This is the most important date - hence the paramount importance on PD.

Now, USCIS publishes processing times to give its customers an idea of which applications it is processing at any given time. If your "receipt date" (or "notice date" as the USCIS suggests now) falls AFTER that date, USCIS is not required to do anything besides tell you to "wait and see". If your date falls BEFORE that date, and you have seen no action from the USCIS on your case, the USCIS might be nice enough to open a service request (SR) for you, so you can "appeal" for some of their attention to your case.

Essentially, BOTH your PD and RD/ND need to be "current" before you can get the USCIS to do anything postive on your case.

cnag
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
To show them how to join tables and get counts :D

I just realized that the brilliant heads behind USICS software are the foll.

. Functional Spec : Lou Dobbs
Tech. specs : Roy Beck
Build : Programmers from Programmers Guild ( By the way they were
all trained by Prof.Ron Hira and Prof. Norm Matloff)

Now do you expect anything better?
C'mon guys, give me green:D

kshitijnt
09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
to the person who gave me the comment "leave then", please explain/elaborate on your comment so that i can restate my case. My post did not talk about leaving the country. I was simply expressing my frustration that the way USCIS conducts its business...are you offended because you work there or something:confused:

It seems there are many bigots and anti immigrants have infiltrated this site. I said on a couple of forums that USCIS is discriminating against Indians and I got red dots for that. But that person has not come out in open to debate with me. Shows his cunning attitude. I guess similar psychos are giving you red dots. I gave your a green.

GCard_Dream
09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I totally agree. Someone gave me a red dot with the following comment:

"dude, did you give yourself lot of green dots?. nobody is that good. so take this red dot."

I think it's very funny that someone would give a red dot for that kind of reason. If he/she can sleep better by giving red dots to others for no reason.. by all means.. go for it :D what can I say..

It seems there are many bigots and anti immigrants have infiltrated this site. I said on a couple of forums that USCIS is discriminating against Indians and I got red dots for that. But that person has not come out in open to debate with me. Shows his cunning attitude. I guess similar psychos are giving you red dots. I gave your a green.

phigi
09-11-2008, 08:04 PM
i'm pretty sure there are some IT folks at USCIS would be Indians - LPRs mostly. maybe even H1B guys. Or do they try to keep it........

GCWhru
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Give me some green... would like to see the new chat session!!!

desi3933
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Give me some green... would like to see the new chat session!!!

You need to have min 50 post as well.

kshitijnt
09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
USCIS is either full of clumsy people or cunning people. Either some big conspiracy is going on that they cleared GCs of those who filed in 2006 or did not approve any from the backlog or its some kind of money collecting strategy.

No wonder my EAD and AP got approved in 3 weeks. If I had filed a month later they would have never approved them.

a1b2c3
09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
For the I-485 approval to come through, your PD needs to be current (so the USCIS can assign a visa number to your case). This is the most important date - hence the paramount importance on PD.

Now, USCIS publishes processing times to give its customers an idea of which applications it is processing at any given time. If your "receipt date" (or "notice date" as the USCIS suggests now) falls AFTER that date, USCIS is not required to do anything besides tell you to "wait and see". If your date falls BEFORE that date, and you have seen no action from the USCIS on your case, the USCIS might be nice enough to open a service request (SR) for you, so you can "appeal" for some of their attention to your case.

Essentially, BOTH your PD and RD/ND need to be "current" before you can get the USCIS to do anything postive on your case.

NSC shows I-140 processing date as July 06 2007 for advanced skills.
I filed my EB2 I140 in Feb 08 and got it approved.

Are they even updating the processing times?

inskrish
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
i swear to god if anything like this happened in the private sector, entire departments would have been laid off. These guys are playing with our careers (and life to a certain extent) and there are no repurcussions. :mad:

100% true. If the USCIS & DOS do such things to US citizens, the next day USCIS director and HL secretatry will be waiting outside the Whitehouse to give their explanations. Will DOS be brave enough to publish such Bulletins and Processing Dates for US passport applictions? I am sure not.

inskrish
09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
We should volunteer and tell USCIS that we are willing to help them (free of cost) extract data and sort on PD. This at least shames them to re-visit their process/workflow.

Or, at least we can start sending the "SQL for Dummies" book to USCIS director.:D

saveimmigration
09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Gave you some green..............

mm

2BeeNot2Bee
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
NSC shows I-140 processing date as July 06 2007 for advanced skills.
I filed my EB2 I140 in Feb 08 and got it approved.

Are they even updating the processing times?

USCIS is not updating the processing times at all! We cannot determine what date is being currently processed for 485.

tejonidhi
09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I called the uscis using POJ method. my call is received by a Nice lady who told me this line is only for problem cases.

me: I would like to know what is happening with my case
IO: this is only to rectify problems , we are not mandated to give you status information here
me: all my friends and collegues received their approvals, I spoke to IO in boston and he said that everything is clear on my case( I had an Infopass)
IO: as I told you we cannot give you, your status
me: Since I am current and my documents are all clear and there are no status changes , I am assuming that there is a problem with my case
IO:please provide me your receipt number
me: I said lin XXXXXXXXX
IO: Everything looks good on your case
me: why am I not allocated a visa number
IO: I cannot answer that question. your application is waiting.
me: I would like to understand what is it that is stopping my application to be assigned to officer
IO: I am not supposed to give you that information . we have a lot of administartive procedures here.
me: I will be contacting a congress member, for reference sake can you please provide me your badge number
IO: I cannot give you my Badge Information. As i told you earlier this is a problem line.
Me : can you assure me that there are no problems on my case.
IO: I dont see any but I cannot assure you.
me : What can you do for me . I already rejected my promotion twice during this oredial.
IO: I can prey for you . thats all in my hands
me : thanks

tejonidhi
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
one member gave me red for posting my experience saying that I am an Idiot and I am wasting the time of USCIS. I am asking that Human being to please behave like Human.
I did what all is possible from my side i.e calling all the sponsors for the bill, contributing to IV and being ready to share any expenses incurred if anyone wants to pursue sue USCIS.
Thank you

HawaldarNaik
09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
This Bullietin has been a huge disappointment. True we have all been trying to support in whatever way we can.

Guess now is the time to try and invoke divine intervention, that only could work

I am going to start doing Bhajans of Sant Tukaram...with hope...Asha......then dispair...nirsasha...cycle goes on...up/down...up/down....

this GC cycle is one big Maya Jaal.....

kshitijnt
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
USCIS is either full of clumsy people or cunning people. Either some big conspiracy is going on that they cleared GCs of those who filed in 2006 or did not approve any from the backlog or its some kind of money collecting strategy.

No wonder my EAD and AP got approved in 3 weeks. If I had filed a month later they would have never approved them.

Got a red for this one .... "Take red for this statement As*****"

Dont know whats wrong

minimalist
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Dont know whats wrong

Why you still worry about reds? You are not going to find out who gave you red.Then what's the point geeting all worked up about a red? You may make the most correct argument but you may still end up rubbing some one the wrong way. I see many new member crib about reds. It is understandable. If senior members also start participating in this childish game that gives them more the intensive to give a red just to get a reaction.

abracadabra102
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Or, at least we can start sending the "SQL for Dummies" book to USCIS director.:D

LOL. Seriously, I doubt they even use regular RDBMS, it could be some outdated mainframe based database. As USCIS is part of homeland security, it is very likely that they only employ citizens with high security clearance. If they can employ H1Bs, this mess would have been resolved long time back. The problem looks trivial for most of us IT guys, but think of a USCIS IT person who joined erstwhile INS 30 years back and still working. That simple data sorting may involve some COBOL program and USCIS is unable to find one from within it's ranks who can do it. They do not admit it and have no incentive to correct it as there is no one to hold USCIS accountable. They come up with same BS every time and say that each case is different and can not be adjudicated in the order of PD. At least DOS openly stated the reason why they can not predict cut off dates accurately. We should use this opportunity and escalate the problem to Senate/House Judiciary committee, Secretary DHS, Ombudsman and make some noise.

I hope and pray that HR5882 passes and brings relief to most of us. Even after recapture of VISA numbers, this problem with random processing is not going away and need to be tackled soon.

hopefulgc
09-12-2008, 01:54 PM
This is what i tell people who give me reds for no reason at all..

"Give me a red.. then go back to your miserable lives..

while i will be living a better life... driving a better car ... doing a hotter chick... supporting IV .. and getting GC sooner than you .. and HELPING MY IV BRETHREN

while all you will be doing is staying jealous, feeding off of our IV efforts and giving people reds for the rest of your life"

Dont know whats wrong

hopefulgc
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
If its a mainframe .. i can seriously help envelope the environment into a t-sql and thus eable running PL/SQL queries on it.
It can be all done..

LOL. Seriously, I doubt they even use regular RDBMS, it could be some outdated mainframe based database. As USCIS is part of homeland security, it is very likely that they only employ citizens with high security clearance. If they can employ H1Bs, this mess would have been resolved long time back. The problem looks trivial for most of us IT guys, but think of a USCIS IT person who joined erstwhile INS 30 years back and still working. That simple data sorting may involve some COBOL program and USCIS is unable to find one from within it's ranks who can do it. They do not admit it and have no incentive to correct it as there is no one to hold USCIS accountable. They come up with same BS every time and say that each case is different and can not be adjudicated in the order of PD. At least DOS openly stated the reason why they can not predict cut off dates accurately. We should use this opportunity and escalate the problem to Senate/House Judiciary committee, Secretary DHS, Ombudsman and make some noise.

I hope and pray that HR5882 passes and brings relief to most of us. Even after recapture of VISA numbers, this problem with random processing is not going away and need to be tackled soon.

DSLStart
09-12-2008, 02:21 PM
USCIS systems are managed by General Dynamics IT. You might want to join them after getting US Citizenship and security clearence.:D

If its a mainframe .. i can seriously help envelope the environment into a t-sql and thus eable running PL/SQL queries on it.
It can be all done..

hopefulgc
09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
well i'll be 90 by then .. and possibly alzheimeric and too grumpy to code anything

USCIS systems are managed by General Dynamics IT. You might want to join them after getting US Citizenship and security clearence.:D

abracadabra102
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
well i'll be 90 by then .. and possibly alzheimeric and too grumpy to code anything

You mean like the present developers at USCIS? :D

DSLStart
09-12-2008, 04:25 PM
:D Besides IT people USCIS top bosses sure are working that way.
You mean like the present developers at USCIS? :D

nj_03_2004
09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
It can be all done..

Here is some 14 pages report from USCIS, which gives overview of it’ IT infrastructure.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_pcq_nsrv.pdf

Aliens Change of Address System (AR-11), Central Index System (CIS), Citizenship and Immigration Services Centralized Operational Repository (CISCOR), Computer-Linked Application Management Information System 3.0 (CLAIMS 3), Computer-Linked Application Management Information System 4.0 (CLAIMS 4), Biometric Storage System (BSS), National File Tracking System (NFTS), Microfilm Digitization Application System (MIDAS), Department of State (DOS) Consular Consolidated Database (DOS-CCD), Reengineered Naturalization Applications Casework Systems (RNACS), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

NKR
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM

I think it is not sorting in the computer database but sorting physical document files which is throwing all of us out of sync. They got to do something about it. Our Mumbai dabbawallahs can teach a thing or two in physically sorting the applications.

dontcareanymore
09-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Wouldn't that be a qualification , rather than a handicap ? :)

dontcareanymore
09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
You are looking at eb2 China not India

Did you get your's approved ? Thought you were current couple of months ago.

abracadabra102
09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Here is some 14 pages report from USCIS, which gives overview of it’ IT infrastructure.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_pcq_nsrv.pdf

Aliens Change of Address System (AR-11), Central Index System (CIS), Citizenship and Immigration Services Centralized Operational Repository (CISCOR), Computer-Linked Application Management Information System 3.0 (CLAIMS 3), Computer-Linked Application Management Information System 4.0 (CLAIMS 4), Biometric Storage System (BSS), National File Tracking System (NFTS), Microfilm Digitization Application System (MIDAS), Department of State (DOS) Consular Consolidated Database (DOS-CCD), Reengineered Naturalization Applications Casework Systems (RNACS), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

I read through this document and I am underwhelmed. They have a separate system for storing change of address (AR-11)!!!. National file tracking system for storing A-File number and file location and perhaps a few other fileds.
The document also uses terms ESB and SOA etc. ESB my @#$, they have no clue what it is. Marketing guys from IBM, Accenture, EDS etc. go to these departments and give sales pitch regularly and they decide to use the most hyped terms in their documents :D. USCIS may even get one of these sales guys to help them draft these. I am perhaps prejudiced and have a very low opinion of USCIS :D

abracadabra102
09-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I think it is not sorting in the computer database but sorting physical document files which is throwing all of us out of sync. They got to do something about it. Our Mumbai dabbawallahs can teach a thing or two in physically sorting the applications.

NKR, the document linked above mentions some system they call National File Tracking System and is supposed to store file location and A number. You can also go through this years Ombudsman's report to congress and he talks about this system. I agree that USCIS receives large number of applications (7.5 million a year) and they have huge storage facility at each service center to store these files. They create a A-file and tag it and store it and update NFTS with file location. All file transfers between service centers are also tracked through this system.

I do not see any problem in getting to any file given it's location. At the least, they should not have any issue in finding out how many applications are pending before a certain date. Latest VISA bulletin clearly says that DOS is not getting this information correctly. USCIS is hiding something. They definitely have a serious systemic issue and are not coming out clean.

joydiptac
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Immigration Gurus,

Is there any way we can actually file a Class Action Law suit for the fact that the chornology of applicants is not maintained?

There are May 2001 victims waiting while I know a friend whose application was approved - PD 2004.

This is severe injustice.

Specially people who applied from California and other high volume states, are the worst sufferers. They had applied for US immigration and not their respective states immigration. EB3 persons who had applied from some other states way after myself (EB3 CA July 2002) had gotten immigration years ago. Now its time for them to get citizenship while we are still waiting..

I wish I hadn't come to the US in the first place and selected Canada or Australia to spend my prime years. Here my career has been stuck in the immigration doldrums thanks to archaic rules not allowing us to take up jobs at a higher capacity.

@#$%^&*!!!

throughly disgusted,

Joy

nixstor
09-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Immigration Gurus,

Is there any way we can actually file a Class Action Law suit for the fact that the chornology of applicants is not maintained?

There are May 2001 victims waiting while I know a friend whose application was approved - PD 2004.

This is severe injustice.

Specially people who applied from California and other high volume states, are the worst sufferers. They had applied for US immigration and not their respective states immigration. EB3 persons who had applied from some other states way after myself (EB3 CA July 2002) had gotten immigration years ago. Now its time for them to get citizenship while we are still waiting..

I wish I hadn't come to the US in the first place and selected Canada or Australia to spend my prime years. Here my career has been stuck in the immigration doldrums thanks to archaic rules not allowing us to take up jobs at a higher capacity.

@#$%^&*!!!

throughly disgusted,

Joy

From Section 203 of INA act (e) ORDER OF CONSIDERATION.-

Immigrant visas made available under subsection (a) or (b) shall be issued to eligible immigrants in the order in which a petition in behalf of each such immigrant is filed with the Attorney General (or in the case of special immigrants under section 101(a)(27)(D), with the Secretary of State) as provided in section 204(a).

This to me means that Priority date is the deciding factor and nothing else.

From USC 8 section 1571

It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application, except that a petition for a non immigrant visa under section 1184(c) of this title should be processed not later than 30 days after the filing of the petition.

Finally, USCIS has ignored their own statute of FBI Name check Settlement agreement of 02/08 by Mike Aytes. Excluding those applications, which have pending RFE's all the applications should be processed based on PD. Nothing else. But we all know that its up to the whims and fancies of USCIS.

Does this fit a class action law suit?

IMO, Yes

Before going that far, one needs to figure out

(1) Litigation law suits are expensive. Do we have the green?

(2) plaintiffs to whom Yes means a Yes and not Yes today and No the day after.

(3) Commitment from plaintiffs and expert counsel.

instantinstinct
09-12-2008, 08:41 PM
The only way to get lawsuit successful is to get AILA involved... otherwise it is going to be extremely extremely difficult...

AILA should do something that they did in July'07.. to bring USCIS to a table to negotiate this situation and get some mass approvals...

Oherwise... don't wanna sound pessimistic... but realistically it would be next to impossible for us to get to this scale... There are a lot of legal documents needed in defining various classes (plantiffs etc)...

Suggest IV Core members to reach out and use their contacts in AILA to atleast discuss whether it is even legally possible.. and then persuade them to go for the same as well...

From Section 203 of INA act (e) ORDER OF CONSIDERATION.-

Immigrant visas made available under subsection (a) or (b) shall be issued to eligible immigrants in the order in which a petition in behalf of each such immigrant is filed with the Attorney General (or in the case of special immigrants under section 101(a)(27)(D), with the Secretary of State) as provided in section 204(a).

This to me means that Priority date is the deciding factor and nothing else.

From USC 8 section 1571

It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application, except that a petition for a non immigrant visa under section 1184(c) of this title should be processed not later than 30 days after the filing of the petition.

Finally, USCIS has ignored their own statute of FBI Name check Settlement agreement of 02/08 by Mike Aytes. Excluding those applications, which have pending RFE's all the applications should be processed based on PD. Nothing else. But we all know that its up to the whims and fancies of USCIS.

Does this fit a class action law suit?

IMO, Yes

Before going that far, one needs to figure out

(1) Litigation law suits are expensive. Do we have the green?

(2) plaintiffs to whom Yes means a Yes and not Yes today and No the day after.

(3) Commitment from plaintiffs and expert counsel.

b_boy
09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I read through this document and I am underwhelmed. They have a separate system for storing change of address (AR-11)!!!. National file tracking system for storing A-File number and file location and perhaps a few other fileds.
The document also uses terms ESB and SOA etc. ESB my @#$, they have no clue what it is. Marketing guys from IBM, Accenture, EDS etc. go to these departments and give sales pitch regularly and they decide to use the most hyped terms in their documents :D. USCIS may even get one of these sales guys to help them draft these. I am perhaps prejudiced and have a very low opinion of USCIS :D

I just couldnt control my laughter when I saw ESB/SOA in the doc, I was just jumping up and down showing it to one of my non-immigrant co-worker. Come on, how difficult is it to process a case based on the order it was received, we hear when ever we call USCIS to check the status "The cases are processed in the order it was received". Just think about USCIS folks in IT who are there since decades, do they understand what ESB is? they cant even do a simple sort.

b_boy
09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I dont understand some jack $$$ decades ago made up country qouta as 7% and they are still following the same, how much bureaucratic they want to be? again decades ago jack $$$ like Lau Dabbs came up with a magic number 140,000 so is that the limit now.

Even If they dont want to change the magic number, can they not do this?

1. Remove the country quota (I know the bill)
2. Process in the order it was received, not to forget dont waste the visa numbers

Is this asking too much? they cant even use 140K visas an year so forget asking for the 550K un used visa (1990 on wards). How difficult is this to undestand for the folks in house