PDA

View Full Version : USCIS Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

mirage
09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

I'm filing it, It would help if more people does it. I'll keep you guys posted as and when I hear back from USCIS...

Dhundhun
09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

I'm filing it, It would help if more people does it. I'll keep you guys posted as and when I hear back from USCIS...

Great. What all information can be requested. Could you please post your experience with this, now or a later date? This may be useful to some of us.

InTheMoment
09-12-2008, 03:13 AM
I filed for it few months ago using FOIA for my I-485 and I-140. Requested for the scanned copies on a CD instead of paper.

Essentially wanted my whole A-File but settled for the above two as otherwise my request would have been placed in track two which may take around a 1.5 years.

Since it is a FOIA and not PA, I did not need to notarize my I-639. Got receipt notice for the application in two weeks and was placed in track one.

My request is around 4300 in the queue out of 6300 (checked status online based on the receipt #)

All info for filing is online so would be good if one can read before asking questions.:)

mirage
09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Basically I am going to ask them to publish statistics on How many Employement based AOS applications they have pending with information on what category they are(EB1, EB2, EB3 etc.) and Country chargeable...This information should give us a clear picture of when we should expect our priority dates to become current and not be be in total darkness

never_giveup
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Basically I am going to ask them to publish statistics on How many Employement based AOS applications they have pending with information on what category they are(EB1, EB2, EB3 etc.) and Country chargeable...This information should give us a clear picture of when we should expect our priority dates to become current and not be be in total darkness

My dear friend,
I dont intend to be cynical, but what I can see is a race between your GC application and your FOIA request. You could very well have your GC but not the information you requested.

The USCIS, as we all know has not been giving this information to DOS. And DOS I beleive is convinced about the USCIS's incapability to do this and so are doing the dirty dance with the Bulletin every month.

I sincerely hope I am wrong as I very much want to see the same information. Keep us posted if you hear something.

Good Luck.

reedandbamboo
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Here's the link.

Sounds like you'd fit in with our merry band.

Here:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21340

mirage
09-13-2008, 08:17 AM
I received email from USCIS. 'Visa cutoff Dates are published by DOS so you should seek this info from DOS'. I have written them back that USCIS receives all the AOS applications so why should DOS have that information and why not USCIS ? I am copying all the house judiciary committee members on the email. Probably that is the reason I got reply on same day I sent the email. I am going to start another email communication on 2 years AP..

syzygy
09-13-2008, 08:37 AM
never_giveup your actions are contrary to your id. Lets stop discouraging people from actions. If we don't do anything nothing will happen.

My dear friend,
I dont intend to be cynical, but what I can see is a race between your GC application and your FOIA request. You could very well have your GC but not the information you requested.

The USCIS, as we all know has not been giving this information to DOS. And DOS I beleive is convinced about the USCIS's incapability to do this and so are doing the dirty dance with the Bulletin every month.

I sincerely hope I am wrong as I very much want to see the same information. Keep us posted if you hear something.

Good Luck.

kumarc123
09-13-2008, 11:30 AM

This is a very good point you made, this way we will be to analyze the movements for our PD dates.
Another aspect will be, USCIS will now know that they are being watched carefully and they cannot manipulate dates according to their convenience.

Thanks

bmoni
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Mirage,
You are doing an awesome job. Please do keep us posted. If you need any help feel free to PM me. Even we can get some more people to file it together. I'm doing the same thing using FOIA to get some information from USICS.

I received email from USCIS. 'Visa cutoff Dates are published by DOS so you should seek this info from DOS'. I have written them back that USCIS receives all the AOS applications so why should DOS have that information and why not USCIS ? I am copying all the house judiciary committee members on the email. Probably that is the reason I got reply on same day I sent the email. I am going to start another email communication on 2 years AP..

optimystic
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Excellet effort. Green for you.

Another IMPORTANT piece of information to ask for along with the info you are already requesting is to request for the year wise breakdown based on PD

Basically
# of EB3 with PD earlier than 2001, btwn 2001-2002, and so on upto 2007-2008.

# of EB2 with PD earlier than 2001, btwn 2001-2002, and so on upto 2007-2008.

and so on.

This will give us one more information to be armed with and make the USCIS that much more hesitant in blatantly pushing PD cut off dates back and forth like pendulum, and approving PDs out of order!

For eg: if it was made public how many 2004 PD EB2 cases were pending, then I dont think it would have been that easy for USCIS to jump cutoffs to 2006 and approve 2006 EB2 cases out of turn....Lot of questions would have been raised.

optimystic
09-14-2008, 09:03 PM
This is a just cause to be taken up by not just you or me individually but worthy of follow up by IV core....I am surprised, why IV core is not pursuing such an action item...

Basically we need IV core to guide us and lead a initiative below -

Drive for Transparent USCIS
-------------------------------
- Prepare a FOI request application with request for just the basic information above and nothing else (so as not to make it too complicated and delay the results of the request)

- File ONE request as a non-profit organization on behalf of legal high skilled immigrants (rather than by individuals). So there is one request to track, and high profile than several individual requests

- Make the request high profile, by spreading the news/email to congressmen, get their support, attestation/support mails etc if it makes sense and possible to do so.

- May be take out some ads to spread the news of the FOI request after it gets filed. Or may be even take a small procession/rally and submit the FOI in person.

- If signatures (either online or paper) are required from IV members to strengthen the case, I am sure every one of the 70000 strong members would be interested in the information and hence will promptly sign online or send signed mails etc

This is a simpler (relatively speaking) first step that IV can pursue before possibly moving on to take legal steps like class action lawsuits etc that have been suggested in other threads.

The reason I feel this should not be too hard for IV core to pursue (Please excuse me if I tend to oversimplify things)

- Its going to cost very little money
- no lawyers required
- very little or no lobbying required (as opposed to huge effort we need for things like fighting for 5882 etc)
- The initiative is not heavily dependent on actions/contributions on a large scale from IV members

Most of these have been pain points in the past that IV core has brought to our attention. And since none of these are an issue in this particular initiative, at the same time the direct returns (transparency of USCIS internal status) are very useful and potentially the indirect returns (USCIS watches and treads carefully in future and honors FIFO) are huge, IMHO, this is really a worthy cause to pursue.

And instead of some group of people trying to organize this by themselves, I feel it would be much better executed by the experienced group of people in IV core.

And also recently there seems to be lots of intitiatives being proposed/organized (Whether or not to fruition is doubtful) by several different group of peoples in the forum.....sometimes causing division (Eb2 vs Eb3 etc). Its time for IV core to step in again, unite us all with one cause/initiatve that we all believe in and willing to support and lead us in good direction.

optimystic
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I am going to make it my job to keep bringing this thread up until our IV core gurus comment on this and tell us whether or not this is a good idea and why/why not.
:)

bmoni
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
optimystic ..I'm with you on this ....

I am going to make it my job to keep bringing this thread up until our IV core gurus comment on this and tell us whether or not this is a good idea and why/why not.
:)

optimystic
09-15-2008, 01:32 AM
^^ bump ^^^^

optimystic
09-15-2008, 03:19 AM
^^^^ bumping again ^^^^

n2b
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I am all for sending FOIA to USCIS....It may also make sense to send a FOIA request to DOS...

Though, to help us with this I think we should invest in some immigration attorney to send FOIA to USCIS and DOS on our behalf. Because law terms can be more powerful than the words we can put together!

If this initial process of FOIA is formalized, we can drag USCIS into court if it's unwilling to open up or release any information!

optimystic
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah...it may make sense to go with a lawyer. I was just trying to point out that we dont need to spend for lawyers if we don't have to.

optimystic
09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Someone posted a list of urls about Ron gothcer's articles.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21510

Very useful info.

In that he mentions, that USCIS has become sensitive to disclosing the amount of backlog AOS cases they have and since the numbers are so large, that they have stopped making them public due to fear of backlash etc...

All the more reason to file FOI and drag them into public view and force them to work more sincerely, put pressure on Govt to add more resources etc . It took a while before they created those BECs to process labor applications. And it worked well (definitely did not make wonders, but much much better than status quo at that time).

I can easily foresee that USCIS would have to resort to similar BECs to tackle the huge and rising AOS (& I-140, EAD, AP etc) backlog. Just the three or four service centers they have would not be enough to process that backlog.

So we know that this is going to happen eventually. Why not do our our best to bring this issue to the forefront ASAP and make it happen a lot faster!!

Please voice your opinion....Ask for a drive to file FOI against USCIS & DOS.....

let the IV core hear what the popular demand is from the members and guide us.