PDA

View Full Version : What is GC?

r2i2009
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Confused ...i think GC stands for Great Confusion
Came in 2001....PD 2003......EB3

Will I ever get my GC? What is it anyway?

hebbar77
09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Atleast we see the green card at a distant horizon. People who want to start with PERM now are told by a lawyer that it might take a year for PERM alone, and upto 8 years before they see the CARRRRRD.

I just got my EAD. I will assume its my GC.

Dhundhun
09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
What is GC?
What is it anyway?

If it is philosophical question, then it is something which takes away couple of years of life of some of those people born in India and China (wait and wait and wait and ...), who want to have it. In return it frees them from bond of slavery.

mayhemt
09-21-2008, 12:00 AM
If it is philosophical question, then it is something which takes away couple of years of life of some of those people born in India and China (wait and wait and wait and ...), who want to have it. In return it frees them from bond of slavery.

Wow it almost sounds like attaining Nirvana (moksha). May be USCIS/DOS/DHS/Us Govt should name it as Nirvana Card.

Dhundhun
09-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Wow it almost sounds like attaining Nirvana (moksha). May be USCIS/DOS/DHS/Us Govt should name it as Nirvana Card.

Sometimes question might be very simple, but there could be deep meaning associated with that. I think every one in this forum understands what is the meaning of GC. So the question seemed to me of more philosophical in nature.

One of the best example of this type of question about an elephant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant). Almost every one knows what is an elephant, how a blind man perceives is explained in that URL.

This is like a question what is project success?
- For investor/owner, it is money
- For management, it is successful completion perhaps in time and in budget
- For engineer, it is promotion, recognition and sometimes rewards

Similarly GC stands simply for Green Card (in our context), but for different people, it can have different meaning:
- Worst case a guy gets GC just one day before marriage - forcing seperations for years
- Best case - perhaps freedom from slavery

NKR
09-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Confused ...i think GC stands for Great Confusion
Came in 2001....PD 2003......EB3

Will I ever get my GC? What is it anyway?

When my labor certification was stuck at backlog elimination center, i was hoping that LC does not stand for "Lost Case" and now for some fre**king reason my early 2004 EB2 case is not being picked up when later cases are being approved, now I hope that GC does not stand for "Gone Case".

chmur
09-21-2008, 02:46 AM
What is it anyway?

That's what one feels like

inskrish
09-21-2008, 02:48 AM
When my labor certification was stuck at backlog elimination center, i was hoping that LC does not stand for "Lost Case" and now for some fre**king reason my early 2004 EB2 case is not being picked up when later cases are being approved, now I hope that GC does not stand for "Gone Case".

I can understand your frustration, NKR, but sure you will get your turn by Feb.09.

r2i2009
09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks...your replies were compassionate and philosophical in a way.
Let me rephrase it. With current Globalization and other means to come to US such as B1,L1 etc....why are we stuck to this phase for years.

See tonnes of people going back----are we chasing something we are not supposed to do?

Aah_GC
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks...your replies were compassionate and philosophical in a way.
Let me rephrase it. With current Globalization and other means to come to US such as B1,L1 etc....why are we stuck to this phase for years.

See tonnes of people going back----are we chasing something we are not supposed to do?

IMO I think that is a question only you can answer. Since we are all chasing some thing or the other -- it makes sense to enjoy the journey, see how we can be happy today and let nature take its course. For some going back to India makes most sense, for some probably not. Either way, the decisions that we take should be based out of our own individual purpose and desires than be guided by externals.

optimystic
09-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Several people have said the need and craving for GC is just in one's state of mind. And that one can do a lot of things without GC, move around freely with EAD+AC21 and that even after getting GC , people who have no drive/vision/talent, will see no sudden change/bright future just because now they have GC in hand.

I agree with all the above arguments.

But I also want to add that having GC or for that matter having anything (like money, good wife/family, good job) etc is about having MORE options and FREEDOM of choice at your disposal, and less things to worry about.

While EAD+AC21 gives you a lot of freedom
You still have to worry about
- Timely renewal of EAD
- Timely renewal of AP
- Worry about being hassled when entering via AP.
- Not able to do a second side job
etc
Others can say that people who worry, always have reasons to worry. And I don't debate that :) . But bottom line, its about having more options at your disposal. May be not everyone will use those options effectively once its in their hands. But to those who want to, and capable of using them, its a loss by not having those options in hand.

Thats what GC means to me.

On the other hand...Its just the current state of mind...

You are asking 'What is GC, is it worth it?'. But you don't ask the same thing about other things...like 'What is Money, is it worth it?' !! 'What is family, is it worth it?'

But people do enter a state of mind, where other things become more important to them than what is important to you or me (like money, family....GC etc).

Vivekanada was a wealthy , happily married Narendranath at one point in his life. But after he met Paramahamsa and got set on spiritual path, he renounced money (!), family (!!) and everything else...for what his mind was set on at that time. I am sure he would have asked himself "What is money?" , "What is family" ?

You or me may never reach that kind of "Viragya", but I am sure we will pass thru stages in life, where GC, or Money, or Cozy life in US will mean nothing to us. All you want might be to have a good health, peaceful retirement, be close to your wife, and close to your son/daughter/grandkids who may be far away from you like you now are far from your parents !

Despite being aware of all this, I am sure tomorrow you and I are going to log in to IV for some interesting bit of info, going to check for LUD, or check the processing/visa date bulletin. Thats because we are human. And I am not ashamed of it because I know I am not obsessive about it, atleast not yet :)

NKR
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM

You are asking 'What is GC, is it worth it?'. But you don't ask the same thing about other things...like 'What is Money, is it worth it?' !! 'What is family, is it worth it?'

But people do enter a state of mind, where other things become more important to them than what is important to you or me (like money, family....GC etc).

Dude, Your PD is in early 2001 and you are so calm and composed?. I am amazed with your “current state of mind”. I hope you get your GC soon.

NolaIndian32
09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I completely empathize with you - see my case details in signature :-(

NKR
09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks NolaIndian. Looking at your profile I think I am being impatient. You deserve your GC before me, but I hope I get mine the very next day you get yours :). I am not far behind.

kumar1
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM
You get this kind of mental state only after spending 8-9 years here! Look at people with PD of 2007....trying to sue USCIS for interfile! It took 7 years for my wife to get EAD. Some of the H4s got EAD in less than 6 months. Am I going to sue USCIS? Hell No!

Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness!

Dude, Your PD is in early 2001 and you are so calm and composed?. I am amazed with your “current state of mind”. I hope you get your GC soon.

DDash
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Very well said....Great post. Often times, we get into a "rat" race and get desperate at times. Do the best that you can with what you have. Dont let the lack of GC limit you from achieving your goals. Dont get me wrong, we should fight for our GCs, but at the same time, dont let the desire to get GC stop you from achieving your goals.

r2i2009
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Well said guys.....I do not know why this thing hangs around me with me having EAD. EAD is just like GC with some restrictions. Why should I worry?

Keep running life as usual. Just think people at the back of you?