PDA

View Full Version : news (9/27/2008) from immigration-law.com - Need more explaination

gondalguru
09-29-2008, 12:43 PM
09/27/2008: Senate Passed Consolidated Continuing Appropriation Bill, H.R. 2638

* Today, the Senate also passed this bill by agreeing to the House H.R. 2638 which the House paased earlier. Here is the vote count. This bill now goes to the President for his signature. The President is expected to sign all of these bills, including Consolidated Continuing Appropriation, Reauthorizations of Non-Miniter Religious Worker Special Immigration, and Conrad 30 International Medical Graduates National Interest Waiver bills before October 1, Wednesday. Otherwise, the federal government is destined to shut down and the immigration reauthorization laws will sunset and gone. The President is anticipated to sign these bills by September 30, 2008.
* Sad part is that the immigration reauthorization is valid only until March 6, 2009 just as the continuing appropriation act. Still, it is a good news in that most of the pending I-360 non-minister religious worker immigration petitions, Conrad-30 based I-140 petitions, and EB-485 applications related to these petitions are likely taken care of before March 6, 2009. The USCIS is currently holding in abeyance these petitions and related EB-485 applications pending the Congressional action. Since the Congress has now cleared the path, as soon as the President signs the bills, the USCIS is likely to pick up these petitions and 485 applications swiftly. Unfortunately, the Conrad 30 based EB-485 for Indians and Chinese may still have to deal with the visa number retrogressions in October 2008 Visa Bulletin. The non-religious workers do not have visa number problem as the visa number for these categories will remain current in October.

What does it mean -- conrad 30 related I-140 and related I-485 will be taken care of prior to March 2009??? What is he trying to say there? Where can I find some more details on that bill.

chanduv23
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
09/27/2008: Senate Passed Consolidated Continuing Appropriation Bill, H.R. 2638

* Today, the Senate also passed this bill by agreeing to the House H.R. 2638 which the House paased earlier. Here is the vote count. This bill now goes to the President for his signature. The President is expected to sign all of these bills, including Consolidated Continuing Appropriation, Reauthorizations of Non-Miniter Religious Worker Special Immigration, and Conrad 30 International Medical Graduates National Interest Waiver bills before October 1, Wednesday. Otherwise, the federal government is destined to shut down and the immigration reauthorization laws will sunset and gone. The President is anticipated to sign these bills by September 30, 2008.
* Sad part is that the immigration reauthorization is valid only until March 6, 2009 just as the continuing appropriation act. Still, it is a good news in that most of the pending I-360 non-minister religious worker immigration petitions, Conrad-30 based I-140 petitions, and EB-485 applications related to these petitions are likely taken care of before March 6, 2009. The USCIS is currently holding in abeyance these petitions and related EB-485 applications pending the Congressional action. Since the Congress has now cleared the path, as soon as the President signs the bills, the USCIS is likely to pick up these petitions and 485 applications swiftly. Unfortunately, the Conrad 30 based EB-485 for Indians and Chinese may still have to deal with the visa number retrogressions in October 2008 Visa Bulletin. The non-religious workers do not have visa number problem as the visa number for these categories will remain current in October.

What does it mean -- conrad 30 related I-140 and related I-485 will be taken care of prior to March 2009??? What is he trying to say there? Where can I find some more details on that bill.

Its kinda confusing and really not that big or sensational.

gondalguru
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Its kinda confusing and really not that big or sensational.

Nothing sensational here. But it does affect me and all the physicians who have pending NIW based I-485.

I have finished 5 years of NIW service for physician and waiting for visa number (PD 9-2004). I have a conrad 30 related I-140 (approved) / I-485 (pending).

paskal
09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Nothing sensational here. But it does affect me and all the physicians who have pending NIW based I-485.

I have finished 5 years of NIW service for physician and waiting for visa number (PD 9-2004). I have a conrad 30 related I-140 (approved) / I-485 (pending).

it is of no help- the extension allows NEW applications. i do not see what it has to do with 485 processing- honestly this seems like gibberish to me.
here is the only way it makes sense: new NIW applicants that need a waiver can now apply under conrad and simeltaneously file for NIW and IF current they can file an AOS and get their spouses an EAD.
extension of conrad is an extension of a "J1 waiver"- nothing to do with NIW per se although we do need the waiver to prsues an NIW.
the one good thing here is that the limited extension means that congress ahs to return to this issue before march and so conrad will come up for discussion again. this from my pov is great! had they done a 5 year extension, we would not have got another quick shot at trying to get quota exmeptions. now..we need to be ready and work with the Senator's office on this....

btw gg- i got a letter from uscis confirming that my 5 year docs were received and verified and my AOS was considered "ready for processing". it does not help that my PD is not current of course, but it does confirm their acceptance of my 5 year completion!