PDA

View Full Version : Like Minded Entrepreneurs/Future Entrepreneurs Gather here

newbie2020
09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi I am starting this thread to bring like minded Entrepreneurs/ Hopefuls...together. The idea is to pool the collective knowledge,Experience together into something more concrete....There are many threads in IV on how to start a business/How to manage one....

I am sure this forum has a number of people who want to venture into something new...Be their own Boss and stop cribbing/crying about Blood sucking employers.

We have so many brilliant minds, excellent managers among us who can bring in a lot more value , a whole new concept into a new venture.

How is this different from one starting his/her own company?

The answer is simple...When you want to start your own company there are too many things one needs to be taking care of (Ofcourse you enjoy the fruits of your labor yourself). One cannot be a master of so many things Accounting, Immigration, Taxation, Vendor management, People management just a few to name.....Also you will not really have access to large amount of capital needed if tomorrow your business grows and needs more capital...

So what is the solution..?
Solution is to bring like minded folks under single umbrella organization, tap their collective pool of knowledge, expertise to build something big....First thing we need to do is THINK BIG....

I should warn this is not for the Faint hearted ones This certainly requires a lot of dedication, personal interest, Certainly there will be risk associated ( Complete disclosure ;) ). There is no guarantee this will work But We got to try to see.....Given the vast amount of collective knowledge in such ventures chances of failure is also low.

Who is ready to change our world, Our Lives.......

chintu25
09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
All aspiring entrepreneurs must read

"Rich dads : Before you quit your job"

It is an eyeopener and a very very refreshing read.

Brings you face to face with the realities of entrepreneurship......and makes you ask this question : Are you really an Entrepreneur ?

Great insight into the question "what to do before you do business ?"

Kushal
09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Also there's 2 must reads:

Magic of thinking Big.

Rich Dad's: Business School.

Since its working for me, it will work for you.

sc3
09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
There are lot of critics of Kiyosaki's books. Some say (and have evidence to that) saying Kiyosaki doles out advice that are illegal when implemented. Check the wikipedia etc. to see if he is the author you want to follow. Some have suggested that Kiyosaki's book sell because of his association with Amway and the likes.

I read his Rich Dad Poor Dad, it was a nice read, but I can not say I learned anything new from it.

bondgoli007
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I am not sure if this is already known but TIE is a good networking org. They have a large network of successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and senior professionals.

http://www.tie.org/

chi_shark
09-29-2008, 09:00 PM
i have been checking with my lawyers, according to them, if i dont have GC, i could potentially harm my case if i had a business that does well... i.e. anywhere upwards 20% of my existing gross income... and that 20% number also depends on the adjudicating officer's perception...

so bye bye business plans...

Hi I am starting this thread to bring like minded Entrepreneurs/ Hopefuls...together. The idea is to pool the collective knowledge,Experience together into something more concrete....There are many threads in IV on how to start a business/How to manage one....

I am sure this forum has a number of people who want to venture into something new...Be their own Boss and stop cribbing/crying about Blood sucking employers.

We have so many brilliant minds, excellent managers among us who can bring in a lot more value , a whole new concept into a new venture.

How is this different from one starting his/her own company?

The answer is simple...When you want to start your own company there are too many things one needs to be taking care of (Ofcourse you enjoy the fruits of your labor yourself). One cannot be a master of so many things Accounting, Immigration, Taxation, Vendor management, People management just a few to name.....Also you will not really have access to large amount of capital needed if tomorrow your business grows and needs more capital...

So what is the solution..?
Solution is to bring like minded folks under single umbrella organization, tap their collective pool of knowledge, expertise to build something big....First thing we need to do is THINK BIG....

I should warn this is not for the Faint hearted ones This certainly requires a lot of dedication, personal interest, Certainly there will be risk associated ( Complete disclosure ;) ). There is no guarantee this will work But We got to try to see.....Given the vast amount of collective knowledge in such ventures chances of failure is also low.

Who is ready to change our world, Our Lives.......

chintu25
09-29-2008, 10:21 PM
............Some have suggested that Kiyosaki's book sell because of his association with Amway and the likes.

I read his Rich Dad Poor Dad, it was a nice read, but I can not say I learned anything new from it.......

Yes I felt that Kiyosaki promotes Amway etc too but skip those lill parts and the book gives amazing insights.

I strongly recommend it.

Well illegal and legal depends on how you interpret the information .
And it goes for any book.

Anyways any recommedations for accounting softwares to practice (Hath safai) cheap or free .

raydon
09-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Interesting thread. I'm not there yet, still got about a year to go. But I do have thoughts in this direction. Count me in guys.

newbie2020
09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
It is really interesting to see many folks reading/suggesting Rich Dad: Poor Dad it is a very refreshing read....

I also see some of the folks having a different perceptions/assumptions on whether one can be a entrepreneurs or no while on H1/GC in process

All i would say is if you have that burning desire in your heart to be an entrepreneur Nothing can stop you from becoming one... Not H1/ Not L1 and Not even the lack of GC. Where there is Will there is always a Way

it is also important for us to chalk out the next course of action and bring together a group of folks under one umbrella. I will host a Conference call sometimes next week to see how many of us have that FIRE in us. :)

Send me a PM with your name, location and tel# and i will send you the conf details.

In the mean time Please suggest any topics which you feel needs to be added to Agenda.

NKR
09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
All i would say is if you have that burning desire in your heart to be an entrepreneur Nothing can stop you from becoming one... Not H1/ Not L1 and Not even the lack of GC. Where there is Will there is always a Way

I do not quite understand what you meant, but if you are saying that you can run a business even on H1/L1 or lack of GC, I beg to differ. You cannot have any other income apart from the work you do for which you have the H1/L1 permit. You can volunteer I think but I am not sure… Just did not want antis or naysayers to have a wrong impression…

malaGCPahije
09-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I do not quite understand what you meant, but if you are saying that you can run a business even on H1/L1 or lack of GC, I beg to differ. You cannot have any other income apart from the work you do for which you have the H1/L1 permit. You can volunteer I think but I am not sure… Just did not want antis or naysayers to have a wrong impression…

that H1/L1 holders can open their business. They cannot be an employee of the business. The business can earn money under its own tax ID. The owner cannot get a salary out of it. So H1/L1 holders can still start their business if they have someone to work on the stuff for them.

newbie2020
09-30-2008, 10:28 AM
When i said it doesn't matter if you are on H1/L1/GC you still can be an entrepreneur, Did i ever say you need to own it 100% Nope...I didn't You can be a partner in a business if you want to work while on H1/L1 you certainly need the work permit (H1/EAD) processed with the new company.

By the way you can have concurrent employment as long as it doesn't interfere with the Employee agreements you might have.

chintu25
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
When i said it doesn't matter if you are on H1/L1/GC .............permit (H1/EAD) processed with the new company.

By the way you can have concurrent employment as long as it doesn't interfere with the Employee agreements you might have.

I consulted with not one but two attorneys to make sure of the legality of the whole thing

Their take : If we have H1 we can work our day jobs and utilize EAD to either work part time or your own business.

NOW dont jump the gun.....If you find that cheesy or cocky , your spouse (for married people) can open a business in her name and start.

And let me quote Rich Dad "If you wait for all lights to turn green, you will be stuck at the signal forever"

I have some interesting quotes from a few books I am reading on entrepreneurship . If people are interested I can post a few here ..

Thanks

NKR
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I consulted with not one but two attorneys to make sure of the legality of the whole thing

Their take : If we have H1 we can work our day jobs and utilize EAD to either work part time or your own business.

NOW dont jump the gun.....If you find that cheesy or cocky , your spouse (for married people) can open a business in her name and start.

And let me quote Rich Dad "If you wait for all lights to turn green, you will be stuck at the signal forever"

I have some interesting quotes from a few books I am reading on entrepreneurship . If people are interested I can post a few here ..

Thanks

Thanks for clarification guys, chintu, you can post the quotes, it will be an interesting read

miguy
09-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I have started using my EAD. Can I open my own company and work on corp to corp or do I still have to be employed by another company on W2?

Thanks.

ras
09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I am not sure if this is already known but TIE is a good networking org. They have a large network of successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and senior professionals.

http://www.tie.org/

I have been attending TiE events for over year now. Not a single time I could get help to start a business. It is just the bigwigs come and give a lecture and then it is more of a networking event. Not much materialistic help to start a business. And by the way, There is a fee for even attending.

chintu25
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I have started using my EAD. Can I open my own company and work on corp to corp or do I still have to be employed by another company on W2?

Thanks.

Yes you can provided your compamy can show that it has enough funds to support you if there is an RFE on your 485 . That is the toughest call and a grey area .

jthomas
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree with the quote below. I came to US on H1B visa on 2002 and on 2003 registered a company in the county. Got a online shopping cart website. Registered using license number and its 2008 still i am a registered sole - properitor and filling business taxes every year on the month of december.

I have read books several books Rich dad poor dad, audio CDs from Brian Tracy, Roger Dawson, etc.. They all talk about how to start a business and skills for the same. But anybody who has a burning desire can start a business.

Do you think illegal guys don't buy homes and start their own business?

It is really interesting to see many folks reading/suggesting Rich Dad: Poor Dad it is a very refreshing read....

I also see some of the folks having a different perceptions/assumptions on whether one can be a entrepreneurs or no while on H1/GC in process

it is also important for us to chalk out the next course of action and bring together a group of folks under one umbrella. I will host a Conference call sometimes next week to see how many of us have that FIRE in us. :)

Send me a PM with your name, location and tel# and i will send you the conf details.

In the mean time Please suggest any topics which you feel needs to be added to Agenda.

chi_shark
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Chintu25 and others,

even i consulted two lawyers. one of them said there is no problem to start and run own part time business while having a sponsoring job that provides employment and salary support etc... the other was not so unequivocal... to be specific, i asked the question as such: "If you were to push me one way or the other, what way would you push me?" I was told something like this: 'Of course, my interest is only your I-485 petition and in that interest, i would say dont start anything other than your primary job'. essentially, i am under the impression now that two things are to watch out for: 1) your profits/salary from the business should not be big enough to suspect your intention of continuing with the primary job 2) if you have to answer RFEs or are asked to come for an interview with IO while adjudication of 485, then it all depends on the perception the IO gets about your intentions given that you have a business other than the primary job...

i am not stating all this to discourage... i want someone to prove me wrong... that way i will also go ahead with my dream...

Thanks

chintu25
09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Let me reiterate that anyone in the whole world can have a business here in US.

Coming to H1Bs People on H1B can open and bear stocks in their company BUT Cannot work as much as even picking up a pen to sign a document. They need to have legally compliant officers to do. Even volunteering is not OK in a FOR Profit Organization.

Now , If you have H1B and an approved EAD , it is agrey area where the laywers I consulted (Recommended by IV ) said there is no problem what so ever in using the EAD for Business.

Ultimately , It is always the individual' s call.

Hope this helps

Chintu25 and others,

even i consulted two lawyers. one of them said there is no problem to start and run own part time business while having a sponsoring job that provides employment and .............all this to discourage... i want someone to prove me wrong... that way i will also go ahead with my dream...

chanduv23
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
All those smart entrepreneurs do not discuss stuff in public - they browse and get ideas - they spend time on what they want to do. If 10 people are discussing thread - 1000 people are watching and already getting info and doing business.

chintu25
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
All those smart entrepreneurs do not discuss stuff in public - they browse and get ideas - they spend time on what they want to do. If 10 people are discussing thread - 1000 people are watching and already getting info and doing business.

Dint quite understand your statement here....

Are you implying that entrepreneurs like the following who teach /share their entrepreneurial experiences are not Smart. ?

Jeff Bezos Amazon.com (AMZN)

Kiyosaki Rich Dad

Betsey Johnson Betsey Johnson

Russell Simmons Rush Communications

Scott Cook Intuit (INTU)

David Neeleman JetBlue (JBLU)

Tom Stemberg Staples (SPLS)

Jack Stack
SRC Holdings

Judy Wicks White Dog Enterprises

Davin Wedel Global Protection

chi_shark
09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I agree with you all the way... what i would like to know is what legal backing does the statement have... for example, i know that legally, i have to have the intention to continue with my gc sponsoring job indefinitely at the time of adjudication... and hence, having a business could be construed as an intention to be an entrepreneur and hence independent of the primary gc sponsoring job... its a remote possibility but surely a possibility... so what is the legal reason for the statement you are making? i would like to know that... that way, i can be confident and prepared if i ever have to file an MTR for this denial reason... you see what i mean? in that grey area that you are referring to, how far are we from the wall?

I totally agree with what you have said in general...

Let me reiterate that anyone in the whole world can have a business here in US.

Coming to H1Bs People on H1B can open and bear stocks in their company BUT Cannot work as much as even picking up a pen to sign a document. They need to have legally compliant officers to do. Even volunteering is not OK in a FOR Profit Organization.

Now , If you have H1B and an approved EAD , it is agrey area where the laywers I consulted (Recommended by IV ) said there is no problem what so ever in using the EAD for Business.

Ultimately , It is always the individual' s call.

Hope this helps

chintu25
09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, I agree with you all the way... what i would like to know is what legal backing does the statement have... for example, i know that legally, i have to have the intention to continue with my gc sponsoring job indefinitely at the time of adjudication... and hence, having a business could be construed as an intention to be an entrepreneur and hence independent of the primary gc sponsoring job... its a remote possibility but surely a possibility... so what is the legal reason for the statement you are making? i would like to know that... that way, i can be confident and prepared if i ever have to file an MTR for this denial reason... you see what i mean? in that grey area that you are referring to, how far are we from the wall?

I totally agree with what you have said in general...

Chi I understand your question .... I will put it this way.

If you are able to prove your legality in Status (H1B/EAD) and Business (Formation/Leadership, Maybe Taxes ) if they comes into question at all, Then one is in the clear.

The point here is that we should have a ready explanation of why we are doing what we are doing , if there is a question raised.

And let me say this.....Looking at the "efficiency" of USCIS officers and their understanding of laws I will not be suprised if there is an RFE . But well Risks have always been a part of being an entrepreneur .

chi_shark
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
smart entrepreneurs who do not have a gc yet have to do a day job... during that day job they find time to discuss stuff in public... if the process allowed me to do the thing we are talking about, i really would not be here... so, really, we are all smart and are all spending time here... just waiting...

chi_shark
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
there is always risk.. but the rewards have to be commensurate... the reward for taking this risk in my case is to have a headstart of 1 year (my pd is mar 2005 eb2). so, in my case, the risk of denial may be too high compared to the reward of one years worth of business... (That too part time)...

how does that stack up against others? If i was eb3 pd 2008, heck yes, i would put myself into business... 'coz there are no signs of the GC for years to come...

!!!SOMEONE PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Chi I understand your question .... I will put it this way.

If you are able to prove your legality in Status (H1B/EAD) and Business (Formation/Leadership, Maybe Taxes ) if they comes into question at all, Then one is in the clear.

The point here is that we should have a ready explanation of why we are doing what we are doing , if there is a question raised.

And let me say this.....Looking at the "efficiency" of USCIS officers and their understanding of laws I will not be suprised if there is an RFE . But well Risks have always been a part of being an entrepreneur .

chintu25
09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
ARTICLE FROM CEO of GrowThink

The other day, I received the following email from a patron:

"Dave - My question to you is as follows: I have no money right now, but what I do have is what I believe is a business model/plan, which could be built up to several hundred million or even into a billion dollar company. What advice do you have so someone in my financial position could get started?"

What can you do when you have a great business concept but no money?

The answer is simple: Get money.

Which, unfortunately, leads to another difficult question: How do I get money? More specifically- how do I get money if I'm just starting out and all I have is an idea?

This is tough.

Not even Google was able to raise money with just an idea. Let me tell you what they did though...

First, like I mentioned a couple of weeks ago in the email titled "The Common Thread Between Google, Under Armour, You and Me," Google believed in their idea SO much that the founders maxed out their credit cards to build Google's first data center.

But, the most important thing that Google's founders did actually didn't require any capital at all...

They networked.

Page and Brin told their ideas to others in hopes that they would get great advice and connections. And sure enough, it worked. They discussed their concept with their computer science professor David R. Cheriton, who, in turn, introduced them to his friend Andy Bechtolsheim.

That introduction resulted in a $100,000 check.

Google went on to raise more money from friends and family, but they continued to network, and their network of investors and advisors grew...and grew....and grew!

The "and so on and so on" momentum had begun and reached some pretty important angels, including Ram Shriram, a former Netscape executive. Ron Conway and Bob Bozeman, partners in Angel Investors also threw in some much needed capital.

This kind of momentum worked for Google and it can work for the company Jim mentioned in his question above. So, in fact, the answer is fairly simple:

To build a business, you need money. To get money, you need to know the right people.

If you already know some quality people, speak to them and get them to refer you to other people. If you feel you don't have highly networked people that you know, go out and find them.

How are you going to find them?

For those of you ready to pound the pavement right now, here is the fast track to get your networking initiatives in motion today: Find industry events and conferences. Then go to them. Meet people. Befriend them and most importantly, follow-up with them!

Then get them to open up their networks to you.

Promote the story of your billion-dollar company to your newfound contacts. Then, prove to them that investing in you and your dream will provide them with significant financial returns.

To your success!

Dave Lavinsky
Growthink Co-Founder

chintu25
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
ARTICLE FROM CEO of GrowThink

The other day, I received the following email from a patron:

"Dave - My question to you is as follows: I have no money right now, but what I do have is what I believe is a business model/plan, which could be built up to several hundred million or even into a billion dollar company. What advice do you have so someone in my financial position could get started?"

What can you do when you have a great business concept but no money?

The answer is simple: Get money.

Which, unfortunately, leads to another difficult question: How do I get money? More specifically- how do I get money if I'm just starting out and all I have is an idea?

This is tough.

Not even Google was able to raise money with just an idea. Let me tell you what they did though...

First, like I mentioned a couple of weeks ago in the email titled "The Common Thread Between Google, Under Armour, You and Me," Google believed in their idea SO much that the founders maxed out their credit cards to build Google's first data center.

But, the most important thing that Google's founders did actually didn't require any capital at all...

They networked.

Page and Brin told their ideas to others in hopes that they would get great advice and connections. And sure enough, it worked. They discussed their concept with their computer science professor David R. Cheriton, who, in turn, introduced them to his friend Andy Bechtolsheim.

That introduction resulted in a $100,000 check.

Google went on to raise more money from friends and family, but they continued to network, and their network of investors and advisors grew...and grew....and grew!

The "and so on and so on" momentum had begun and reached some pretty important angels, including Ram Shriram, a former Netscape executive. Ron Conway and Bob Bozeman, partners in Angel Investors also threw in some much needed capital.

This kind of momentum worked for Google and it can work for the company Jim mentioned in his question above. So, in fact, the answer is fairly simple:

To build a business, you need money. To get money, you need to know the right people.

If you already know some quality people, speak to them and get them to refer you to other people. If you feel you don't have highly networked people that you know, go out and find them.

How are you going to find them?

For those of you ready to pound the pavement right now, here is the fast track to get your networking initiatives in motion today: Find industry events and conferences. Then go to them. Meet people. Befriend them and most importantly, follow-up with them!

Then get them to open up their networks to you.

Promote the story of your billion-dollar company to your newfound contacts. Then, prove to them that investing in you and your dream will provide them with significant financial returns.

To your success!

Dave Lavinsky
Growthink Co-Founder

newbie2020
10-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I am setting up the Conference for Next week Wednesday

10/15/2008

Time: 8:00 PM EST
Conference Bridge#+1 218 339 2626 (This is a long distance number use a long distance phone)
Conference Bridge Pass# <Sent to you as PM>

If you are interested in attending the conference PM me along with your name/tel#and Location I will send you the conference info

Any Questions Feel free to ask.

If the time doesn't work for everyone let me know i will try to reschedule.

I will also send the agenda for the call.

chi_shark
10-08-2008, 05:26 PM
what is this for again? I would love to be part of it, if it makes sense to me... thanks for setting it up!

I am setting up the Conference for Next week Wednesday

10/15/2008

Time: 8:00 PM EST
Conference Bridge#+1 218 339 2626 (This is a long distance number use a long distance phone)
Conference Bridge Pass# <Sent to you as PM>

If you are interested in attending the conference PM me along with your name/tel#and Location I will send you the conference info

I will also send the agenda for the call.

newbie2020
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
what is this for again? I would love to be part of it, if it makes sense to me... thanks for setting it up!

This is an Ice breaker session, A platform for each one of us to come together share our ideas before we move forward with the Grand Plan... :)

Some of you might be wondering why the passcode for conference is not published here, There is a reason behind it, We don't want bystanders overhearing us...;)

newbie2020
10-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Agenda
Welcome and Introduction of all participants
Discuss Opportunities/limitations of starting a business
Discuss How one can maintain Status while still owning a business
What do we need to start a successful business
Discuss the Strength/weakness of participants and what can one bring to the table.
Chalk out next course of action
Conclusion

Let me know if someone wants to add anything further.

newbie2020
10-16-2008, 08:18 AM
rescheduled due to technical difficulties. I will send a new conf date

srikondoji
10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I would also recommend folks here to consider reading this book
http://www.sramanamitra.com/2008/09/09/entrepreneur-journeys-now-on-amazon/

Thanks
sri

a1b2c3
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
it may sound weird, but I think this is the best thread on IV.
Can some one point me to a website/other media which discusses how to write a business plan/proposal, what financiers look for and so forth? Inputs appreciated.

a1b2c3
10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
This is an Ice breaker session, A platform for each one of us to come together share our ideas before we move forward with the Grand Plan... :)

Some of you might be wondering why the passcode for conference is not published here, There is a reason behind it, We don't want bystanders overhearing us...;)

Can you PM the passcode please..

BECsufferer
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Folks;

When is this telecom reschuled to? ... I would definitly like to participate. how do you get invitation to it?

thanks.

chi_shark
10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
i dont know what will come out of this, but, i sure can use ideas and would love to help out to those who need it... please count me in as well.

Folks;

When is this telecom reschuled to? ... I would definitly like to participate. how do you get invitation to it?

thanks.

srikondoji
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
If you are planning to get some returns by attending business networking events then you have to have the business up and running first.
This way you can meet people who are also running businesses in the same area where you are working and then form partnerships.

To get a jump start on starting businesses, you pretty much on your own.
The best would be form a group such as this thread and share idea first.

Organizations like 'tie' are of no use for us. Again this is my opinion.

Kushal
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Agenda
Discuss the Strength/weakness of participants and what can one bring to the table.
Conclusion

Let me know if someone wants to add anything further.

Sorry I missed the conference which I would have loved to attend. You all have good points to be discussed, and I got busy with some business meetings yesterday at couple of locations.
One point that I would have like hear your opinion on: How to evaluate any business

newbie2020
11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Here are the new dates for the conf call, If you are planning on attending Please send me a quick note so we know who is joining the call.

New Date: 11/05/2008
Time: 8:00 PM EST/7:00PM CST/5:00PM PST
Conference Bridge Pass# 245906

If you are interested in attending the conference PM me along with your name/tel#and Location

ItIsNotFunny
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Here are the new dates for the conf call, If you are planning on attending Please send me a quick note so we know who is joining the call.

If you are interested in attending the conference PM me along with your name/tel#and Location

Can we make this as 9:30pm EST?

newbie2020
11-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Rescheduling to 9:30 may not be possible at this time. Please join the call

chintu25
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
good see u there tomm

newbie2020
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Agenda
How to evaluate any business (Look from VC/investor Perspective)
Conclusion

If anyone feel we need additional items into the agenda let me know

Here is the conference numbers again

locomotive36
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
It would be my pleasure to join your discussion tomorrow.

Talk to you all soon.

Thanks,

newbie2020
11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
For the folks planning to join in, Please send me your name and number

newbie2020
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Any additional questions or comments folks want to bring in for today's call..?

ivjobs
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Any additional questions or comments folks want to bring in for today's call..?

Just keep this thread bumped so that people who have forgotten would still get reminded of the meeting scheduled today.

ItIsNotFunny
11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Just keep this thread bumped so that people who have forgotten would still get reminded of the meeting scheduled today.

Could you include me in summary email (if you are sending one for attendees) as I won't be able to attend due to timing. I sent a PM to you with my email address.

sanjaymk
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Please add me to your email list, I will PM you my email id.

Thanks,
Sanjay.

indyanguy
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Me too.. Please add me to your email list..I have PMd you the contact info.

Thanks!

newbie2020
11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
^Bump^

ivjobs
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
newbie2020,
Thanks for organizing the conference. It really is good to gather and chip in our thoughts around entrepreneurship and helping each other. As discussed in the call, here is the yahoo group that has been created. People can subscribe to this and we can exchange our ideas through IV threads and yahoo group mails.

For those who are interested in joining and exchanging the thoughts on Entrepreneurship, please subscribe to yahoo group:

For subscribing:
visit Weblink : http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ivstartup/

or send email to: ivstartup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

ivjobs
11-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Could you include me in summary email (if you are sending one for attendees) as I won't be able to attend due to timing. I sent a PM to you with my email address.

ItIsNotFunny,
newbie2020 is going to compile and send the summary. I will forward your email id to him. Or may be you can directly pm your email id to newbie2020. Alternatively, join the above yahoo group so that you can even participate in the exchange of emails among the group.

ItIsNotFunny
11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
ItIsNotFunny,
newbie2020 is going to compile and send the summary. I will forward your email id to him. Or may be you can directly pm your email id to newbie2020. Alternatively, join the above yahoo group so that you can even participate in the exchange of emails among the group.

Thanks.

ivjobs
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks.

I guess newbei2020 may not have compiled yet the Conference call info. Please subscribe to the above yahoo group to get the gist of the conference call.

newbie2020
11-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Owning a business provides a fallback option in a weak economy, it provides an additional source of revenue and it certainly gives the pride and satisfaction for a person

Starting a Business is easy, However running one is hard, There are so many things one needs to concentrate on including Accounting, immigration, sales, marketing, customer support etc.

By combining the power of a group of folks we can bring lot to the table by complimenting each others strengths.

Maintaining status while still owning a business is an interesting topic, While anyone can own/be a partner in a business, Working for one can be a little trickier. Owning a part of a business is more like owning a stock in a company, there is no restriction whatsoever to own shares or invest money in a company.
You will be subject to taxes according to the profit from that investment.

Working for your own company can be trickier, it is important to have a work permit of some kind(H1/EAD unless u are USC/GC) if you want to work for your own company. A number of us want to start a company and also work for it by using AC21, If at a later point of time, there is a query from the USCIS on the A2P of the new company it can be an issue, Also there are certain restriction on sponsoring own GC from a his/her own company (You/relatives can own only a certain percent if you want to sponsor to avoid conflict of interest)

It is always a better idea to start a company with someone preferably a USC/GC holder so you are covered from some of legal issues which may arise.

A Project plan is helpful, You can write down all little things so you don't forget. Plan what is your product or service, Plan your customers, plan your budget etc.

With hard work and dedication one can own a successful business.

Since most of the folks were completely new into the concept of partnering and working with a stranger for the first time, and given most people wanted to go Solo We felt it may be a better idea to share the knowledge where people can mentor/add value to one another's line of activity. It would also act as a learning tool for those who want to learn from the collective knowledge

Create a new yahoo groups so people can join and exchange ideas
One of the participants have agreed to share the high level plan for review by the group
The group will review the project plan and provide reviews/suggestions.

ivjobs
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Owning a business provides a fallback option in a weak economy, it provides an additional source of revenue and it certainly gives the pride and satisfaction for a person

Starting a Business is easy, However running one is hard, There are so many things one needs to concentrate on including Accounting, immigration, sales, marketing, customer support etc.

By combining the power of a group of folks we can bring lot to the table by complimenting each others strengths.

Maintaining status while still owning a business is an interesting topic, While anyone can own/be a partner in a business, Working for one can be a little trickier. Owning a part of a business is more like owning a stock in a company, there is no restriction whatsoever to own shares or invest money in a company.
You will be subject to taxes according to the profit from that investment.

Working for your own company can be trickier, it is important to have a work permit of some kind(H1/EAD unless u are USC/GC) if you want to work for your own company. A number of us want to start a company and also work for it by using AC21, If at a later point of time, there is a query from the USCIS on the A2P of the new company it can be an issue, Also there are certain restriction on sponsoring own GC from a his/her own company (You/relatives can own only a certain percent if you want to sponsor to avoid conflict of interest)

It is always a better idea to start a company with someone preferably a USC/GC holder so you are covered from some of legal issues which may arise.

A Project plan is helpful, You can write down all little things so you don't forget. Plan what is your product or service, Plan your customers, plan your budget etc.

With hard work and dedication one can own a successful business.

Since most of the folks were completely new into the concept of partnering and working with a stranger for the first time, and given most people wanted to go Solo We felt it may be a better idea to share the knowledge where people can mentor/add value to one another's line of activity. It would also act as a learning tool for those who want to learn from the collective knowledge

Create a new yahoo groups so people can join and exchange ideas
One of the participants have agreed to share the high level plan for review by the group
The group will review the project plan and provide reviews/suggestions.

Thanks newbie2020 for all your efforts in organizing the conference call, taking time to summarize and sharing with IV members.

DDash
11-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Friends,

I have a GC and I am planning to start a company. I am going through legalzoom and they mention that I have to nominate a registered agent. I am in CA and would like to incorporate in SC (take advantage of low taxes). My brother lives in SC and he is on H-1. Now the question is, can he be my registered agent? Will this jeopardize his status in any way? Please let me know if it is okay to be a registered agent while on H-1. He will not work for my company. He will only be an agent to forward the mails.

Thanks in advance.

kurtz_wolfgang
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
I find that Kiyosaki or whatever guy a fraud. Yes those of you who are into Amway/MLM business for you he is GOD and you are definitely going to be offended. I was handed one of his CD by a guy. Kiyosaki's words --- I choose my friends based on wealth, how rich they are and if they are businessmen.
Yes nice ideal....to make friends...jerk head....

I mean if your goal in life is to only make money then go ahead listen to him and read his books....The only people who think about money more than the rich are the poor ones. They can't afford to think of anything else.

As for me, money is not a goal. I am not interested in making money. That doesn't mean I dont need it and I don't consider earning more... (before you guys start shouting)....it's just that there are things more important, e.g. knowledge, i intend to increase it, whereby i pursue only the things I like and money is generated as a by-product....25k per month is enough for me :D:D:D

jthomas
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I find that Kiyosaki or whatever guy a fraud. Yes those of you who are into Amway/MLM business for you he is GOD and you are definitely going to be offended. I was handed one of his CD by a guy. Kiyosaki's words --- I choose my friends based on wealth, how rich they are and if they are businessmen.
Yes nice ideal....to make friends...jerk head....

I mean if your goal in life is to only make money then go ahead listen to him and read his books....The only people who think about money more than the rich are the poor ones. They can't afford to think of anything else.

As for me, money is not a goal. I am not interested in making money. That doesn't mean I dont need it and I don't consider earning more... (before you guys start shouting)....it's just that there are things more important, e.g. knowledge, i intend to increase it, whereby i pursue only the things I like and money is generated as a by-product....25k per month is enough for me :D:D:D

If you are talking about Amway/ MLM busness don't refer to kiyosaki. The ideas are from Jeff combs and Lisa Combs. If you don't have their CDs download it from P2P connection. You will learn about 3 way call etc.. and all the tactics these guy play.