PDA

View Full Version : A mixed day for Indian Americans

obviously
10-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Indeed, what an ironic day... we have two headline news items concerning Indian Americans...

The Good: A 35 year old Indian American is tapped to head the $700B bailout fund...

The Ugly: A family of 6 dies in LA in a murder-suicide ...

What does this say?
________
grandma Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/granny/)

kevinkris
10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
It's good that indian american is heading the bailout which is by far the largest government intervention of free markets in the history.

It's bad that 6 family members were died. He should have filed bankruptcy and head back to india atleast. MBA in Finance would definitely will get him a good job. May god rest their soles in peace.
It's really unfortunate.
Everybody has troubles, See people in somalia and other places. They don't have anything to eat also. They are surviving for their livelihood. If there is a legitimate cause for a suicide then it's OK. And even he doesn't have right to kill other members in the family. Period.

And i don't see any suspicious activity that outsider killed them as that person is out of job from 6 months.

Any thoughts?

Desertfox
10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
You mean the 6 bodies found in LA belong to an Indian American family?

shana04
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Indeed, what an ironic day... we have two headline news items concerning Indian Americans...

The Good: A 35 year old Indian American is tapped to head the $700B bailout fund...

What does this say?

Neel Kashkari, Kashkari, an Indian-American who was born in Ohio, is one more example of how Paulson has drawn on former executives at Goldman to staff Treasury. Paulson also leans heavily on former Goldman Sachs executives Dan Jester, a financial institutions banker, and Steve Shafran, who focused on corporate restructuring while at Goldman

jayleno
10-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Its is very sad to read the story about the family.

What does this say?

reddymjm
10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Very sad. I just read it in CNN and came here.

inskrish
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
You mean the 6 bodies found in LA belong to an Indian American family?

Yes, you can read more details from here: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-porterranch7-2008oct07,0,7425239.story?track=rss

BECsufferer
10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
It's good that indian american is heading the bailout which is by far the largest government intervention of free markets in the history.

It's bad that 6 family members were died. He should have filed bankruptcy and head back to india atleast. MBA in Finance would definitely will get him a good job. May god rest their soles in peace.
It's really unfortunate.
Everybody has troubles, See people in somalia and other places. They don't have anything to eat also. They are surviving for their livelihood. If there is a legitimate cause for a suicide then it's OK. And even he doesn't have right to kill other members in the family. Period.

And i don't see any suspicious activity that outsider killed them as that person is out of job from 6 months.

Any thoughts?

Fully aware this is not the right time to correct eachother, but their is something in me that forces me to dis-approve your comment on " ... legitimate cause for sucide". I hope you will take it in friendly spirit.

We all are fighting our battles on all levels in all the different ways ...be it financial, social, family or professional. And in some of these we will win and inothers we shall lose, if not have. And it might be that mental illness drove this young man into such desperate direction, but little did he realize the consequences of his near-sightedness. No matter how depressing and gloomy it may appear, we should not forget that tommorow can be better. Life is a cherished previliage given to us and we should put to it's best intended use as per God's will.

So let's be brave and encourage eachother so that no-one else show up on news in manner the departed souls. My deep sympathys to those affected by this tradegy and apologizes for any un-wonted offence.

Be brave, be strong ...

kevinkris
10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I was just quoting that there may be legitimate reasons but this is not a good reason...

Fully aware this is not the right time to correct eachother, but their is something in me that forces me to dis-approve your comment on " ... legitimate cause for sucide". I hope you will take it in friendly spirit.

We all are fighting our battles on all levels in all the different ways ...be it financial, social, family or professional. And in some of these we will win and inothers we shall lose, if not have. And it might be that mental illness drove this young man into such desperate direction, but little did he realize the consequences of his near-sightedness. No matter how depressing and gloomy it may appear, we should not forget that tommorow can be better. Life is a cherished previliage given to us and we should put to it's best intended use as per God's will.

So let's be brave and encourage eachother so that no-one else show up on news in manner the departed souls. My deep sympathys to those affected by this tradegy and apologizes for any un-wonted offence.

Be brave, be strong ...

obviously
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
... is to remind ourselves that there is nothing that should drive us to desperation. Imagine that a person from India, with an MBA in Finance goes to this extent!

Let the Green Card saga not drive us to desperation... nothing is worth more than family ...

Peace!
________
PAXIL INJURY LAWYER (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

uumapathi
10-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with FaniMiBanana. I do not think any reason one can come up with in any desperate situation is "legitimate" enough to take ones own life in my opinion. Time cures everything. One has to stay positive and focused in desperate situations.

LostInGCProcess
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Truly a tragic incident. There is no excuse, what so ever, to take someones life and to commit suicide. No matter what the hardship, it has to be faced and move forward. Indians are too emotional and take it so personal and worry more about what others think.

munnu77
10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Very sad. I just read it in CNN and came here.

unfortunate

vin13
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
This is a very sad story..But something doesnt sound right...the son was 19 and studying UCLA and he was killed too?....

sledge_hammer
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
You've ever heard of kamikaze missions help by Japanese pilots during world war 2?

They were suicide missions to bomb American targets (like Pearl Harbor) knowing very well they will not come back alive. They would crash their planes into enemy targets laden with a lot of explosives.

Go figure!

I agree with FaniMiBanana. I do not think any reason one can come up with in any desperate situation is "legitimate" enough to take ones own life in my opinion.

jamesbond007
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
So sorry to read that story. I wish that family had gotten the help they needed at the right time. I wish he had talked to someone.

You've ever heard of kamikaze missions help by Japanese pilots during world war 2?

They were suicide missions to bomb American targets (like Pearl Harbor) knowing very well they will not come back alive. They would crash their planes into enemy targets laden with a lot of explosives.

Go figure!

In civilian world, there can never be a valid reason to take someone's life. The only exception I can think of is self defence. Or while defending someone who is under attack.

Military or any armed force is different; War is different.
People involved there are trained to follow orders. Their commanding officers give them orders to kill someone, and they follow those orders without question.
War itself is a sorry state brought upon the human kind by humans ourselves. And unfortunately, the commanding officers in charge of an armed force see even the men/women who make up the force as only a means for their objectives; and they use them as they deem necessary.

sc3
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM

Go figure!

Whatever side you are on, there is no way you can liken kamikaze mission to a suicide. Kamikaze mission was of bravery, people willing to die for their countries -- that is the ultimate sacrifice. People committing suicide are just cowards who aren't strong enough to face life problems thrown at them. I am sure a lot of us here have lost investments too, but we are going to pick ourselves up and continue to make our lives -- not end it.

uumapathi
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Whatever side you are on. There is no way you can liken kamikaze mission to a suicide. Kamikaze mission was of bravery, people willing to die for their countries -- that is the ultimate sacrifice. People committing suicide are just cowards who aren't strong enough to face life problems thrown at them. I am sure a lot of us here have lost investments too, but we are going to pick ourselves up and continue to make our lives -- not end it.

Amen to that.

gsc999
10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Guys, this is not an Indian site. Half the posts have word Indian in them.
I am not apologetic about being Indian but lets remain true to the IV cause

The current economic crisis has many victims. To hear about this 90 year old woman who attempted suicide is depressing too. There is a slight twist at the end, Fannie Mae forgave her debt.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5957063

On a different note, what about us folks who have been on this never ending path to legal immigration for ever and such events e.g economic crisis, rising unemployement etc impact us in a huge way and we don't have any recourse. What do you guys think should the USCIS do? Should they "forgive" us our circumstances. Should there be special rules in these unforseen circumstances?

Munna Bhai
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Guys, this is not an Indian site. Half the posts have word Indian in them.
I am not apologetic about being Indian but lets remain true to the IV cause

The current economic crisis has many victims. To hear about this 90 year old woman who attempted suicide is depressing too. There is a slight twist at the end, Fannie Mae forgave her debt.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5957063

On a different note, what about us folks who have been on this never ending path to legal immigration for ever and such events e.g economic crisis, rising unemployement etc impact us in a huge way and we don't have any recourse. What do you guys think should the USCIS do? Should they "forgive" us our circumstances. Should there be special rules in these unforseen circumstances?

gsc999, u are very correct. What about us? Someone in us can be next victim.

LostInGCProcess
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Dude the person apparently not in good mental state. People do crazy things with they are in such situation. Who knows what went wrong. May be he felt that his family would suffer without him and incorrectly thought to take them with him. He seems to be caring father until this tragic event. Please stop pointing finger and pray that god be with the families who lost them.

As much as I am saddened by the tragic event and my prayers are with the family, I still can't digest the fact that he killed all the family members. Whatever was going thru his mind, he was a coward. There was no need to take others life. I don't want to judge here, but I can talk about committing suicide which is totally wrong. He had NO RIGHT, NO EXCUSE whatsoever to take others life. Period. And I stand by my statement.

May be he felt that his family would suffer without him and incorrectly thought to take them with him.
You think this is a legit reason to take others lives? My friend I totally disagree with you. NO REASON would be compelling enough to take once life.

anilsal
10-07-2008, 07:24 PM
It is such a tragedy that I fervently hope does not repeat ever anywhere on this planet.

This is the second incident that I am hearing in 18months.

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130289&pid=3138545&st=0&#entry3138545

There can be thousands of issues but do not destroy the young ones.

Dhundhun
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I was just quoting that there may be legitimate reasons but this is not a good reason...

It is a very sad story.

I think Karthik Rajaram, the unemployed financial advisor became insane because of financial pressure and internal family problem and did that shameful act.

It is hard to imagine two people aged 45 and 39 with three kids aged 19,12 and 7 can't survive in US - they mush have Citizenship or GC. This sad episode defenetly does not earn Indians a good name. They could have looked out and seen how so many illegal immigrants are surviving. I have heard several times that when God shuts one door, he opens another. Is it in films and story books only? I think, they have not filed for bankrupcy protection yet.

May God bless their soul peace.

niklshah
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Dude the person apparently not in good mental state. People do crazy things with they are in such situation. Who knows what went wrong. May be he felt that his family would suffer without him and incorrectly thought to take them with him. He seems to be caring father until this tragic event. Please stop pointing finger and pray that god be with the families who lost them.

I totally agree with u we dont know what situation that guy must be to take this decision..Here people gets panicked when they dont get their EAD card and Advance parole in time. So guys just pls pray that his soul gets peace...

jamesbond007
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Let us all pray for their souls and close this thread.
The longer this thread remains open, the more accusations will be thrown at the dead family.

If there are any known survivors in their immediate family (parents, siblings etc), they would need support in this hour.

Other than that, please let us try to not insult some one who is dead.

ashkam
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I totally agree with u we dont know what situation that guy must be to take this decision..Here people gets panicked when they dont get their EAD card and Advance parole in time. So guys just pls pray that his soul gets peace...

"His soul gets peace"? Are you kidding me? This is a guy who murdered his entire family. Sorry, I have no sympathy for him. Let's not call this thing a suicide okay? He killed 5 or 6 people, that too his own family members and that is murder. The fact that he committed suicide is irrelevant.

H1B-GC
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Read in the Newspaper that Karthik Rajaram is an Alumni from IIT, Madras. This incident made huge news back in India in all the Major Newspapers. very very Sad.