PDA

View Full Version : PhDs for Green Card now

helpful_leo
02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
This will be a common thread for all doctoral candidates interested in amending the current language in the PACE bill to 1/ include current PhD graduates; and 2/ life science graduates. Please post your suggestions and opinions here.

You can check out this thread for more details of PACE and the amendments we are suggesting:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151

Pls use the material from the letter attached there in your letters to senators and congressmen.

Please take part actively in this and help make sure these amendments are incorporated into the final version of PACE.

Randy
02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Guys,

Its quite a gathering out here who have shown some interest or support for the Green card issue for the PhDs. I see numbers increasing slowly. I am networking and try to get more PhDs involved and become aware of the PACE Bill. Friends from many universities are contemplating the line of action to get a change in the language as well as to include the current PhD students/PhD holders in getting benefits from the bill.

I and my friends have drafted a letter and will be sending to our senator (Allen Specter) very soon. It will be great if many more enthusiasts come out and show their support / give their suggestions openly.

So lets keep it rolling.

helpful_leo
02-23-2006, 03:08 PM
It would be good if more of you PhDs visiting here would post and share your ideas about what we should be doing to further the PACE amendments agenda. Regular posting by you and others will bring up new ideas and more importantly, keep up everyone’s motivation to see this thing through. Once postings and interactions reach a critical mass, things will pick up momentum which will see through the completion of our agenda. So please register with IV and post here, and also make yourself aware of the broader goals of IV and how you can contribute to it.
Your ideas and posts need not be rocket science (although some of you might be rocket scientists : ) , but just a few words of encouragement or organizational ideas or just about anything- this will help and motivate others who come here. More postings will encourage still others to post and things will pick up momentum. This thread has had 654 page views but only 1 response!! Those of us who know about the S1932 bill and the campaign to get it passed in December know how effective a forum the internet and a site like this can be. Calling or e-mailing among ourselves cannot substitute the public reach and penetration of the internet, so its imperative that we keep this as the primary forum for information exchange.

helpful_leo
02-23-2006, 03:53 PM
For the pessimists among us who doubt the utility of what we can achieve, I have compiled the following FAQs:

1/ Isnt it very unlikely that a senator or congressman will listen to us or care about our agenda?

It is extremely likely -almost guaranteed- that US lawmakers will listen to us and incorporate our amendments, as long as they are reasonable, fair and not inimical to US interests (which our suggestions most certainly fit with). The system here works very differently than what several of us may be used to in our own home countries, where it might be near impossible to get things through to lawmakers without “connections”. Several of those here who witnessed the S1932 campaign in December were surprised at how easily accessible the lawmakers and their staff were, and how receptive they were to our requests and suggestions. We have to make sure that we present our arguments intelligently, and show them how closely they are linked to long term US interests.

(to be continued)

helpful_leo
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
2/ What can we do to communicate our agenda to senators and congressmen?

The most effective method is to fax your suggestions to the lawmakers’ offices across the country. We should start with the sponsors and co-sponsors of the PACE bill. Pls learn how you can access PACE co-sponsors names in the 3rd post at this thread:

Also in the above thread (1st post) you will find a word attachment that articulates our basic agenda. Please use material freely from that letter, or even the whole letter itself, to communicate with your lawmakers.

This is the link to contact details and web pages of various senators:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Find your senator’s name and webpage listed there and fax your letters to them at the numbers listed under Contact Me. Pls note that for the most part, you can contact only the senator of your home state. So, for e.g., if you live in New Mexico, you have to contact only the senators from NM. Please include your name, address, phone number and e-mail id in your fax. Due to this limitation, it is very important that we connect with PhDs in various states so that we can contact all senators and congressmen across the country.

Once you fax it to them, they will most likely contact you with questions or to just thank you for your letter/ fax. If you do not hear from them in 3-5 days, it is advisable to call up their office and ask if they received your message and how they are following it up.

helpful_leo
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
3/ How likely is it that PACE will become law?

Extremely likely. It is a bill with bipartisan support (almost equal number of Republican and Democrat co-sponsors). Plus, there is tremendous political will in Washington DC right now, cutting across party lines, to enact a legislation that will maintain America’s competitiveness in science and technology. The traditional anti-immigrant lobby that usually shoots down such legislation is also not too bothered by the automatic adjustment of status (AOS) privileges (i.e. a GC) being provided to PhDs, as the total number of PhDs is too miniscule a number, and seen to add tremendous value to the system for even them and their prejudices to oppose it. The total number that will be given these benefits under PACE will be a few hundreds, and this at a time when there are bills in senate and congress to legalize the 11 million (i.e. 11,000, 000) illegal workers living presently within US borders. Please know that the PACE bill is inspired by the highly regarded National Academies report that came out in the latter half of last year, and therefore has very strong credentials backing it. The only thing we have to do is to get these minor amendments incorporated into PACE; otherwise the bill will be passed and we will be left high and dry, and there won’t be as good a chance for us in the near future to get that elusive green card.

helpful_leo
02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
4/ How can we be so sure that the amendments we are suggesting sound “fair, reasonable and in US interests” to senators and congressmen?

The amendments we are proposing are essentially what the National Academies report has suggested- we are adding nothing new. The report wants all PhDs in science and technology with 1 year job experience to be allowed automatic AOS benefits (and not just for some future F4 graduates). Again, the report in general talks about all the sciences- specifically highlighting benefits of the life sciences in several pages- and not just the physical sciences. It is for this reason, and if we correctly reference our arguments, that their reasonableness will be obvious to any and every US lawmaker and his/her staff. Had we demanded these based just on our requirements or wishes, it would have had virtually zero chance of getting through. For exact references to the National Academies report, look up the attached letter in the thread linked above.

nmember
02-24-2006, 09:02 AM
I feel IV should support the amendments as pointed out in the earlier posts regarding the GC for Phd students. I beliieve the PACE bill does not say it explicitly but the spirit of the original National Academics study is that they want to encourgae Phd students to work here and get the GC. From my own personal experience most of the Engg students come for MS initially to the US and then they convert to Phd after MS. So a visa for Phd student would not help that much, since the prospective students initially would only be applying for MS, and i do no think anyone would take the risk/hassle to go back to their home country to get a new visa, once they are admitted to thePhd program. A better way would be to apply this clause to everyone would will or are currently doing their Phds at American University. Thiis i think is the spirit of the bill and i feel IV must focus this aspect. This would also free up visa number for the other categories of visa.

alpha_centauri
02-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I agree with you all. Thank you helpful_leo for starting this thread. It is very important to suggest amendments to the language of PACE act so that the following groups are included:
i) People who have already received a Ph.D. from an accredited US university.
ii) People who will be graduating with a Ph.D. from an accredited US university after the passage of this bill.

As helpful_leo pointed out in the 'PACE amendment suggestions' thread, we should suggest that the language in the bill be amended so that the proposed adjustment of status benefits will apply to any individual who can provide the following two pieces of evidence :
i) Received a doctoral degree from an accredited US university and,
ii) Has been subsequently employed in the US for at least one year.

- Do you know when the PACE act will be up for discussion in the senate?
- Does the current language suggest that doctoral students who qualify will be able to directly file I-485 without even the need for filing I-140?

phantomzoner
02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I would suggest guys to not only try to contact pHDs you know but to post this message in other forums that might be frequented by international pHDs.

vet282000
04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey folks,
The proposed bill to give green card to PhDS does not include all the PhDs. PhDs listed as STEM(Science engineering technology majors) are only eligible through this bill in current form. Graduates from pharmacy, medicine, veterinary medicine, animal science are not listed as STEM. I am sure there are many more majors not listed as STEM. I think we should write a letter to congressmen about this anomaly. And I encourage non STEM PhDs to represent their concern so that we can unite and represent our concerns to the congress men. immigrtion service department has listed the subject codes fall under STEM.
You have to browse through the following link to see code for your major. http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/cip2000/ciplist.asp.
once you know the code for your major you can go to http://www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm to check weather your program is listed there as STEM.
good luck

gcnotfiledyet
04-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Hey folks,
The proposed bill to give green card to PhDS does not include all the PhDs. PhDs listed as STEM(Science engineering technology majors) are only eligible through this bill in current form. Graduates from pharmacy, medicine, veterinary medicine, animal science are not listed as STEM. I am sure there are many more majors not listed as STEM. I think we should write a letter to congressmen about this anomaly. And I encourage non STEM PhDs to represent their concern so that we can unite and represent our concerns to the congress men. immigrtion service department has listed the subject codes fall under STEM.
You have to browse through the following link to see code for your major. http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/cip2000/ciplist.asp.
once you know the code for your major you can go to http://www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm to check weather your program is listed there as STEM.
good luck

It is very comprehensive list. It covers every field. Graduates of pharmacy, medicine, vet medicine etc are not PhDs. They have to go through special programs to get that degree.

jchan
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
3/ How likely is it that PACE will become law?

Extremely likely. It is a bill with bipartisan support (almost equal number of Republican and Democrat co-sponsors). Plus, there is tremendous political will in Washington DC right now, cutting across party lines, to enact a legislation that will maintain America’s competitiveness in science and technology.

How come I didn't see this tremendous political will in DC??

rockstart
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I would support this bill since it makes a lot of sense. I am not going to benefit from this since I have masters and not PhD but people who have sacrificed the lure of big money to live on campus with 2-3 roomies for almost 5 years in which time their friends who graduated are driving lexus and staying in 5 Br homes need some consolation prize. This is a great move for these students as well as the country.

vet282000
04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Dear gcnotfiledyet,
Thanks for your comment.I am afraid you mis understood what I said medicine and pharnact vet med etc. There are practitioners in these fields called MD, DVM, PHARM D etc. However there are many more PhD students who do research in these fields. And they are not listed as STEM graduates. I guess whoever did this listing of the STEM majors don't really have much knowledge about various fields of research and also they ignored the highly multidisciplanary nature of the current day research. I hope more people will start taking this issue seriously.

hsingh82
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I would support this bill since it makes a lot of sense. I am not going to benefit from this since I have masters and not PhD but people who have sacrificed the lure of big money to live on campus with 2-3 roomies for almost 5 years in which time their friends who graduated are driving lexus and staying in 5 Br homes need some consolation prize. This is a great move for these students as well as the country.

While I definitely support this bill, I fail to understand your logic here. They definitely are bright candidates but they did everything by choice for the personal and professional gain. They should be given GC because they are asset to this country not because they don't own lexus or 5 Br house which by the way tells a lot about other hardworking people who own them.

vet282000
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
It is very comprehensive list. It covers every field. Graduates of pharmacy, medicine, vet medicine etc are not PhDs. They have to go through special programs to get that degree.
thanx for your reply. However I am afraid you misunderstood pharmacy, medicine, vet med PhDS with practice professionals PharmD, MD,DVM.The people who made the list of STEM have ignored the fact that Research is highly interdisciplinary. This is unfair for many researchers in biology who should be in the STEM majors but they are not in just because of technical/clerical reasons. I request you all to take a look at this anomaly.
Thanks

narendra_modi
04-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I am saying why not GC for MDs & Dentist along with PhDs...They are not less qualified than PhDs. please lets discuss and help those doctors suffering many years due to all this J1/H1 b**l s**t ...

This will be a common thread for all doctoral candidates interested in amending the current language in the PACE bill to 1/ include current PhD graduates; and 2/ life science graduates. Please post your suggestions and opinions here.

You can check out this thread for more details of PACE and the amendments we are suggesting:

Pls use the material from the letter attached there in your letters to senators and congressmen.

Please take part actively in this and help make sure these amendments are incorporated into the final version of PACE.

PALLO
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
is this a new bill or old one . original post dates back to 06.

waitnwatch
04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Do you realize that this thread is from 2006.

Hey folks,
good luck

h1techSlave
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Are PhDs in Medicine excluded in this list?

Dear gcnotfiledyet,
Thanks for your comment.I am afraid you mis understood what I said medicine and pharnact vet med etc. There are practitioners in these fields called MD, DVM, PHARM D etc. However there are many more PhD students who do research in these fields. And they are not listed as STEM graduates. I guess whoever did this listing of the STEM majors don't really have much knowledge about various fields of research and also they ignored the highly multidisciplanary nature of the current day research. I hope more people will start taking this issue seriously.

h1vegas
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
H.R. 1791:
111th Congress
2009-2010
STAPLE Act
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to authorize certain aliens who have earned a Ph.D. degree from a United States institution of higher education in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics to be admitted for permanent residence and to be exempted from the numerical limitations on H-1B nonimmigrants.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1791

vet282000
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
PhDs in few fields of medicine are included, but the list is not a comprehensive list, many areas are ignored