PDA

View Full Version : People interested in Trading Stocks ETFs

chintu25
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Hello All,

I found a unique way to cope with the stress of our immigration nightmare.
I always feared that this long wait to get the status issue settled would kill the entrepreneurial spirit that I have. The burning desire to do my own thing.

I have been trading stocks for the past 4 years or so now but just recently got interested in PDT - Pattern Day Trading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_day_trader) (Clickable)

I have found it very interesting as well as rewarding in terms of fulfilling the urge to do something more than what I am doing right now.

It is not easy and it is not for the weak hearted but the rewards are wholesome and tremendous.

I would like people who are interested to "PM" me or post replies here so we can exchange ideas

IMP NOTE: Trading stocks is a type of investment so It is perfectly legal to do so. You do not even require an EAD to do so .

No doubt that if you do have EAD you can trade as business entity as well.

Last but not the least
Do not forget to to keep the momentum up at IV and do donate to IV as often as you can .

Now lets Play !!!!!:cool:

pappu
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Could you post useful information on this subject. We have similar threads on 401k and starting companies. If there is wealth of information on the thread, we will make it a sticky and IV spotlight topic so that it helps members interested to learn about stocks

nixstor
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
(1) I found a unique way to cope with the stress of our immigration nightmare.

through Day trading??

(2) It is not easy and it is not for the weak hearted but the rewards are wholesome and tremendous.

(3) Now lets Play !!!!!

Have you just tried to sell Day trading to IVians?? LMAO. I am sorry but I disagree that Day trading is an investment. Day trading is risky business and one needs plush amounts of cash as SIPC/SEC will not release the money on the same day. Don't even get me started on the margin accounts.

I agree with (2) and would also like to point out that the risks are also substantial. One can get addicted to day trading and I dont need to tell what addiction can do to any one. It needs time during work hours. ie 9 30 am and 4 30 pm. A lot of people did day trading during the dot com boom and recently with FRE & FNM. We know the results.

While you might have taken refuge in day trading for the stress immigration has caused, it can be a serious double whammy/nightmare if the calculations go wrong.

All said, if you feel that there is enough money to be made and normal Joe Bloggs can cope up with the pressure, please share your thoughts in detail.

gcdreamer05
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the post, i am interested too, i am not a pattern day trader but a normal trader as of now.

Could you please post how this has affected your tax return filings, do we need to do something extra while filing tax returns if one is a pattern day trader?

Also it suggest that there should be minimum equity balance of 25K, are they referring to the value of stocks...

Yes as you said i too was thinking about it, there is only so much one can earn because in my situation i cannot shift employer, nor does the current one pay me enough or is willing too, so we all must look at alternate sources of income (but take our own risk and decision)....

I started trading with sharebuilder recently.... and they did give me a 50$ coupon to start with...

As pappu said, yes we need to share such info with our fellow folks so that everyone gets benefitted and if we make money we can contribute atleast a small part of it to IV.... (win-win for all).

There is so much information to share....

Hello All,

I always feared that this long wait to get the status issue settled would kill the entrepreneurial spirit that I have. The burning desire to do my own thing.

I have been trading stocks for the past 4 years or so now but just recently got interested in PDT - Pattern Day Trading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_day_trader) (Clickable)

I have found it very interesting as well as rewarding in terms of fulfilling the urge to do something more than what I am doing right now.

It is not easy and it is not for the weak hearted but the rewards are wholesome and tremendous.

I would like people who are interested to "PM" me or post replies here so we can exchange ideas

IMP NOTE: Trading stocks is a type of investment so It is perfectly legal to do so. You do not even require an EAD to do so .

Last but not the least
Do not forget to to keep the momentum up at IV and do donate to IV as often as you can .

gc_on_demand
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello All,

Last but not the least

I was under impression that being on H1b u cannot do intra day trading.. you can do only routine trading ( dont know excat term ) in which u buy stock and keep it for some time and sell it .. generally 3-4 days..

gcgonewild
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Try tradeking

I know some brokerages go deep.. but tradeking works out cool no minimum.

Just a little hassle as it is not directly attached to your checking..

Have a margin account and options account, but stay away from using margin and options.

desi3933
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I was under impression that being on H1b u cannot do intra-day trading.. you can do only routine trading (don't know exact term) in which u buy stock and keep it for some time and sell it .. generally 3-4 days..

while on H1-B status, one can do intra day trading in stocks, options, and/or futures, he/she can NOT claim trader status on federal tax return. Person on EAD can claim trader status and claim some trading related expenses to save tax on it.

Disclaimer - This is not a legal advice and trading involves risks and is not for everyone. Please seek professional advice before investing your money for trading.

pointlesswait
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
zecco.com is a good discount trader..
after you have accumulated 2500.. u get 10 trades per month free...
more than enough...for a retail trader..

its good if ur investment is less than 25k..

Try tradeking

I know some brokerages go deep.. but tradeking works out cool no minimum.

Just a little hassle as it is not directly attached to your checking..

Have a margin account and options account, but stay away from using margin and options.

smisachu
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
You can day trade. I have been trading for a while in various different capacities. Just make sure you have a good tax guy, they usually charge more for day traders due to all the trade reconciliation needed while doing taxes. Since I got the EAD it has become much easier though. You open a regular trading account and trade. Here is the key to day trading- Risk management, Risk management & Risk management. I cannot emphasize this enough. Most people get in with out much knowledge and burn out fast because of bad risk management. Have an exit strategy before putting on the trade and exit AT that point. Don’t get emotional.
Key thing is; I quote "Plan your trade and trade your plan".

Retail brokerage accounts like Scottrade, Ameritrade are OK for regular trading but if you want to day trade they are not good enough. Day Trading is all about execution and you will need a faster broker than these guys.
Some good ones are Interactive brokers, Think or swim (I think TD Ameritrade bought them out) and e-signal with one of their partner brokers.
For the guys in and around NY/NJ there are a lot of day trading firms like Hold Bros (Jersey City), Lynx capital and Cymera capital in NYC which offer good execution and good commissions.
Commissions have to be factored in as you will be trading a lot and all those fees add up. Execution has to be very fast <2 secs or you will loose money in slippage. Another factor with faster execution is that you might be able to front run news which gives you an advantage.

But before you jump in with both feet, do a lot of research. Paper trade a lot and hone your skills. What you know in equities is just tip of the ice berg. There are tremendous amounts of infrastructure and brains dedicated to squeezing out "alpha" and to beat them is not easy. The real money is in trading options, but this is for the really sophisticated trader. In options you can loose your entire capital.
Any one starting out must read a lot. I would suggest:
1. Come into my Trading Room- By Elder
2. The Equity Trader Course- By Schwartz
3. Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practitioners- By Harris

For those of you a little sophisticated:
1. Volatility Trading- By Sinclair or By Johannes
2. The Options course- By Fontanills
3. Bible of Option trading- By Guy
4. Quantitative Trading- By Chan

If anyone is interested to go beyond this (one step away from insanity), let me know and I can suggest some more reading.
The key thing to realize is pattern trading is a self fulfilling prophecy. The more you trade the more you realize it.

I was under impression that being on H1b u cannot do intra day trading.. you can do only routine trading ( dont know excat term ) in which u buy stock and keep it for some time and sell it .. generally 3-4 days..

gchopes
01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
What is the advantage of claiming trader status on your tax return? I buy / sell shares on different days of the week (example: Buy on Monday, Sell on Friday). Does that make me a day trader?
I am doing this on H1B. I do have approved EAD.

while on H1-B status, one can do intra day trading in stocks, options, and/or futures, he/she can NOT claim trader status on federal tax return. Person on EAD can claim trader status and claim some trading related expenses to save tax on it.

Disclaimer - This is not a legal advice and trading involves risks and is not for everyone. Please seek professional advice before investing your money for trading.

desi3933
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
What is the advantage of claiming trader status on your tax return? I buy / sell shares on different days of the week (example: Buy on Monday, Sell on Friday). Does that make me a day trader?

Introduction to Trader Status (http://www.fairmark.com/traders/intro.htm)

bondgoli007
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
You can day trade. I have been trading for a while in various different capacities. Just make sure you have a good tax guy, they usually charge more for day traders due to all the trade reconciliation needed while doing taxes. Since I got the EAD it has become much easier though. You open a regular trading account and trade. Here is the key to day trading- Risk management, Risk management & Risk management. I cannot emphasize this enough. Most people get in with out much knowledge and burn out fast because of bad risk management. Have an exit strategy before putting on the trade and exit AT that point. Don’t get emotional.
Key thing is; I quote "Plan your trade and trade your plan".

Retail brokerage accounts like Scottrade, Ameritrade are OK for regular trading but if you want to day trade they are not good enough. Day Trading is all about execution and you will need a faster broker than these guys.
Some good ones are Interactive brokers, Think or swim (I think TD Ameritrade bought them out) and e-signal with one of their partner brokers.
For the guys in and around NY/NJ there are a lot of day trading firms like Hold Bros (Jersey City), Lynx capital and Cymera capital in NYC which offer good execution and good commissions.
Commissions have to be factored in as you will be trading a lot and all those fees add up. Execution has to be very fast <2 secs or you will loose money in slippage. Another factor with faster execution is that you might be able to front run news which gives you an advantage.

But before you jump in with both feet, do a lot of research. Paper trade a lot and hone your skills. What you know in equities is just tip of the ice berg. There are tremendous amounts of infrastructure and brains dedicated to squeezing out "alpha" and to beat them is not easy. The real money is in trading options, but this is for the really sophisticated trader. In options you can loose your entire capital.

If anyone is interested to go beyond this (one step away from insanity), let me know and I can suggest some more reading.
The key thing to realize is pattern trading is a self fulfilling prophecy. The more you trade the more you realize it.
I have "Come into my Trading Room- By Elder" as an ebook if anyone is interested.

smisachu
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I highly doubt any one with a full time job will trade enough volume for it to be cost effective to claim trader status when filing taxes. If you trade for a living,not work as a trader then it makes absolute sense to file as a trader.

snathan
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the post, i am interested too, i am not a pattern day trader but a normal trader as of now.

Could you please post how this has affected your tax return filings, do we need to do something extra while filing tax returns if one is a pattern day trader?

Also it suggest that there should be minimum equity balance of 25K, are they referring to the value of stocks...

Yes as you said i too was thinking about it, there is only so much one can earn because in my situation i cannot shift employer, nor does the current one pay me enough or is willing too, so we all must look at alternate sources of income (but take our own risk and decision)....

I started trading with sharebuilder recently.... and they did give me a 50$ coupon to start with...

As pappu said, yes we need to share such info with our fellow folks so that everyone gets benefitted and if we make money we can contribute atleast a small part of it to IV.... (win-win for all).

If you have account in BOA with 25K, you can do 30 trading per month for free. Also I have some good tips for long terms investors like people who are planning to settle here. The plan is to buy the stocks from companies directly and reinvest the dividend. When you are not paying the commission and investing the dividend, you can get very good return in the long run.

If any one interested please let me know...

chintu25
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Here are few clarification Nix. Not that I need to explain to you but for all peop here

Pappu Thanks for your support

I will post relevant ideas as we gather momentum

My answers to your post are color coded in GREEN

through Day trading??

Dude Day trading is stressfull if you dont know what you are doing ?

(2) It is not easy and it is not for the weak hearted but the rewards are wholesome and tremendous.

(3) Now lets Play !!!!!

Have you just tried to sell Day trading to IVians??

Relax Nix Probably this post aint for you . Why the hell do I need to sell anything to you. I am sharing what I feel is a great way to channalise negative energies towards something useful.

LMAO. I am sorry but I disagree that Day trading is an investment. Day trading is risky business and one needs plush amounts of cash as SIPC/SEC will not release the money on the same day. Don't even get me started on the margin accounts.

It is risky FOR SURE . It is a s risky as much as Crossing road is risky for the blind

People who can see can cross with ease provided they are not careless and have good judgement

I agree with (2) and would also like to point out that the risks are also substantial. One can get addicted to day trading and I dont need to tell what addiction can do to any one.

Nix people are addicted to VB too wht did they achieve.....Here atleast I am doing something progressive.

It needs time during work hours. ie 9 30 am and 4 30 pm. A lot of people did day trading during the dot com boom and recently with FRE & FNM. We know the results.

Well I am guessing your knowledge of day trading is limited to what Wikipedia has to offer. I work 9.00 5.00 Software engineer (no pun intented) And I make a decent 50-100 on the side .

While you might have taken refuge in day trading for the stress immigration has caused, it can be a serious double whammy/nightmare if the calculations go wrong.

Well Day traders that I have seen sucessful have NEVER EVER suggested to go all in. Play small play consistent

All said, if you feel that there is enough money to be made and normal Joe Bloggs can cope up with the pressure, please share your thoughts in detail.

I wanted to address this post first cause I want the notion that this is for my benefit to be outted. I have been here long and supported IV in all ways possible.

chintu25
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Answers in GREEN

Whatever you earn from Trading is taxable as your earned income. On the flip side if you ve made losses there is a provision for some tax deduction as well . Contact a good Tax consultant

I believe that I will pay tax only if I earn and I will definately earn more than I pay tax

Yes for day trading you need 25k but you dont need to have 25 k . For starters I trade something where I buy EOB today and sell off SOB(START) of business tommorow

I recommed reading day trading concept at wiki I will post some rules as well as ways to trade like PDT with a smaller account

Welcome aboard friend same situation here

Thats great ...I know a few trading sites offering very cheap trading fees

chintu25
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM

I do not know of any rule that separates Daytrading from any other trading style.

It is an investment .

Anyways I am no lawyer but I can ask my Tax agent to clarify if possible

chintu25
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Why do you want Trader status "H1B EAD is good enough ;)"

ImmiLosers
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Please also recommend stocks for tomorrow...
Thanks

chintu25
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks

Well I do not think it is appropriate to give advise and if it fails then there is bad blood . Let us work towards

Recognize patterns
watch business news and how it affects the stocks you like
make a portfolio of stocks you like to watch (can be easily done on gogle finance) I will help if needed.
Watch the volume of stocks being traded at certain times in the day and how that affected the stock price (Can be done after 5.00 Each night )

It is not hard work it is intelligent work , Maybe overwhelming at first but once it clicks it stays

You should always have a PLAN

I will post a few questions that each of us need to answer individually to develop a plan you want to use to achieve success .

Not all material I post will be mine , I will post lessons /Tips that are beneficial to this forum.

snathan
01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.directinvesting.com/drip_learning_center/what_are_drips.cfm

Dividend reinvestment plans (DRIPs), otherwise known as direct investment plans are offered by companies to allow individuals to buy stock without a broker. They were started to help company employees—and then expanded to help people who already owned some shares in the company.

Now it is possible for anyone who doesn't have a lot of disposable income to invest in stock. That’s because, once you are enrolled in direct investment plan, you can make small investments without going through a broker.

With the market in such turmoil, you might not want to invest a large sum of money at any one time. With DRIPs you can get started with a single share of stock and build your holdings over time without paying fees when you invest. That means that you can start investing with next–to-nothing—and build up positions in stocks slowly over the years. That’s because there are no fees or commission for purchases of stock through many DRIPs, so it becomes feasible to routinely make small cash investments. You can invest as little as $10 or $25 a month

Green_Always
01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
If you have account in BOA with 25K, you can do 30 trading per month for free. Also I have some good tips for long terms investors like people who are planning to settle here. The plan is to buy the stocks from companies directly and reinvest the dividend. When you are not paying the commission and investing the dividend, you can get very good return in the long run.

If any one interested please let me know...

Hi Snathan, will be able to give more details / explain more on -- The plan is to buy the stocks from companies directly and reinvest the dividend. When you are not paying the commission and investing the dividend, you can get very good return in the long run.

tks look to see your reply.

got it Thanks, info was in 2 nd page. :-)

redgreen
01-12-2009, 11:16 PM
all the studies by economists, investment experts, psychologists, etc for the last several decades clearly showed that for 99% of the people day trading makes them lose all their money. it is highly addictive and on an average everbody loses their savings. legally it is another style of trading and there are no consequences whether you are on J1, H1B, on EAD or a citizen! (ofcourse if somebody knows which stock is going to be up/down and exactly when, he can make a lot of money (better call him a prophet than a day trader/pattern trader).

GC_Applicant
01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I am sure a lot of skilled people like us, especially immigrants, have a strong desire to work hard, smart and make money. Thanks for taking the initiative.

1. Do you plan to buy stocks directly from the companies or use a broker like TdAmeritrade, Charles Swab etc.,
2. Is there going to be one trading style like you mentioned about Pattern Day Trading.
3. Is there a plan to conduct some series of tutorials or sort and practice at our own risk without supervision
4. Will there be any local, phone or online meet
5. Above all how is it going to BENEFIT IV.

You got me glued to this now.

smisachu
01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.moneyshow.com/NYOT/

Traders Expo in NYC

smisachu
01-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Can't pick stocks in this Volatile market, but one thing is certain the markets will be volaile for some time now. So I suggest be long Vega. Pick a stock where the implied vol is higher than historical vol (you will find plenty. Eg C) and put on an option straddle. Sure to make money.

This is not a day trading strategy but a derivatives trade.

Thanks

chintu25
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
GREEN

I am sure a lot of skilled people like us, especially immigrants, have a strong desire to work hard, smart and make money. Thanks for taking the initiative.

1. Do you plan to buy stocks directly from the companies or use a broker like TdAmeritrade, Charles Swab etc.,

I use a couple of brokers TDM, SOGOTRADE and Scottrade. All have their own benefits , But to buy and sell I use TDM/SOGO . Lot of good info/charts/filters etc on Scott and TDM

2. Is there going to be one trading style like you mentioned about Pattern Day Trading.

There are n number of trading styles , we can discuss afew and you can choose what suits you best

3. Is there a plan to conduct some series of tutorials or sort and practice at our own risk without supervision

I strongly recommend reading and rereading as much as you can about basic fundamentals of trading in general ........Ask tons of questions and evaluate answers.

GOOGLE GOD

DO NOT JUMP BLINDLY into any kind of trading

4. Will there be any local, phone or online meet

Well if there is enough Momentum we can have a tele con or video con where we can share desktop screens for learning

5. Above all how is it going to BENEFIT IV.

Lot of ways you can do it....One way is to Pledge a certain % of your trade earning etc
Its our IV its our calling

You got me glued to this now.

chintu25
01-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Can't pick stocks in this Volatile market, but one thing is certain the markets will be volaile for some time now. So I suggest be long Vega. Pick a stock where the implied vol is higher than historical vol (you will find plenty. Eg C) and put on an option straddle. Sure to make money.

This is not a day trading strategy but a derivatives trade.

I can post a few breakout runners in the AM but would like IV core's consent to do so. I can post runners in the chat so its faster and easier

Once I get a go ahead I will post some

I strongly suggest to WATCH WATCH WATCH the trades and not jump without knowledge of the trades.

Again make a portfolio on google /yahoo or any other portal and watch the plays . Keep an eye on the volume / News of the trades.

Just a side note :

SAY - Satyam went into the dumps from 12 to .01 IN 2 WEEKS . NYSE dint trade it for 3 days . Today it opened again at 1.10 ---hit bottom of 0.78 and high of 1.77 .

So a PDT watches for these breakout . If any one entered this stock at AROUND 1.00 earned anywhere from 50-75% on it.

Why did it rise ?? Market plays on humna sentiments ...early morning news broke out that there "MAYBE" a govt bailout. sending SAY skyrocketing.

Traditional investors may differ from my opinion....but then This is not for traditional investors sorry!!!!

If you ask me ....I suggest just use your disposable income ONLY STRICTLY to play to learn . Start with as low as maybe even 500 bucks .

Initially just play on the portfolio without money to see how you fare. As you learn you will be more confident

GC_Applicant
01-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I strongly recommend reading and rereading as much as you can about basic fundamentals of trading in general ........Ask tons of questions and evaluate answers.

When you said read and read trading fundamentals, did you mean these listed in a previous thread.

JazzByTheBay
01-13-2009, 03:44 AM
As forewarned by the original poster - it's not for the weak of heart.

Other disclaimers that should be added:
- Be prepared to lose a LARGE chunk of what you "invest"
- It's *really* not an investment in the typical sense of the term - generally equated with the buy-and-hold patterns.
- If indulging in it yourself, be prepared to be *very disciplined* and devote a good chunk of your time. This is *MORE* than a part-time job.
- I would seriously advise anyone considering this to use "play money" (paper trade, simulations, whatever... ) for a while before playing with real money.
- Most advertised "trading systems" that guarantee perfect market timing will inevitably result in you surrendering your hard-earned $$ to the street.
- If the only exposure you have to trading is through the media, or worse - through hollywood - reconsider.
- Once again: the risks are far greater than you can imagine, and may have an appetite for. Nevertheless, the odds are way better than gambling & lottery.

If you're still willing to give it a serious consideration - best of luck!

jazz

through Day trading??

(3) Now lets Play !!!!!

Have you just tried to sell Day trading to IVians?? LMAO. I am sorry but I disagree that Day trading is an investment. Day trading is risky business and one needs plush amounts of cash as SIPC/SEC will not release the money on the same day. Don't even get me started on the margin accounts.

I agree with (2) and would also like to point out that the risks are also substantial. One can get addicted to day trading and I dont need to tell what addiction can do to any one. It needs time during work hours. ie 9 30 am and 4 30 pm. A lot of people did day trading during the dot com boom and recently with FRE & FNM. We know the results.

breddy2000
01-13-2009, 04:37 AM
all the studies by economists, investment experts, psychologists, etc for the last several decades clearly showed that for 99% of the people day trading makes them lose all their money. it is highly addictive and on an average everbody loses their savings. legally it is another style of trading and there are no consequences whether you are on J1, H1B, on EAD or a citizen! (ofcourse if somebody knows which stock is going to be up/down and exactly when, he can make a lot of money (better call him a prophet than a day trader/pattern trader).

Guys, My personal opinion. Pls do not fall for these risky trading tactics. I'm in no way against trading, but cautioning you whole heartedly...and I have nothing against the original poster

In trading if you are able to beat the market with 10-20% consistency for 2-3years, the wall street banks will be at your door steps asking you to work for them with profit sharing and salary

Based on my experience of trading...

"Money is always an inch away from your finger tips, the more you run towards it , the further away it goes.... " and its a never ending story

The so called wall street is full of crooks/manipulators and what an ordinary investor thinks to be an excellent stock would be junk if the street does not favour it...How much ever you compare relative stocks with fundamentals, p/e, Financials statements, beta , volatility etc etc....

And the Buzz words for these kind of manipulations are " Shorting, Naked- Shorting, Rumor mongering, Insider Trading, Pre-after market trading"

I bet once you are in trading, you will have tremendous Mood Swings.

However if you want to understand what trading is all about , you can visit this trading education website . Its a nice set of videos about technicals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InformedTrades?ob=1

Also if you would like to see what kind of patterns you would like to trade, then you can visit www.finviz.com

This site contains all the buy/sell signals like Double/multiple bottom, head and shoulders, wedge down, wedge up , double top etc etc.....

"Don't trade with money you can't afford to lose"

All the very best.

chintu25
01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Guys, My personal opinion. Pls do not fall for these risky trading tactics. I'm in no way against trading, but cautioning you whole heartedly..............................

"..........................oney you can't afford to lose"

All the very best.

Thanks Breddy and Jazzbythebay for iterating and re-iterating the risk factor.
I have repeated that in almost all my posts earlier in this thread to not think of this as a "GET RICH QUICK"scheme ........

Anyways good job at scaring away people guys hehehe;) kidding

Let me go back to the start

I recommend this style of trading for entrepreneurial kinds only who have the fire and will to learn .

Its risky but it is fulfilling when done in the right way.

It is easy to loose your shirt if you are not disciplined and stick by the rules (More on how to build your rules later)

GREED is the one number one enemy of PDTs.

Overcome greed and you will love to trade....you will love to convert your loosing trades into winners.

I welcome comments from traditional traders as they serve as a filter as well.

To say the least ...my dad who has been an active investor for years is still against DT or short term trading since he is a traditional investor.

No doubt you will make money there too but its like planting a seed and watching it grow every minute .(In a good , long and boring way I think)

Thanks

chintu25
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Check out LIZ ,TARG ,TMS ....Running on Pre Markets

Added ...BLX

bitu72
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
some good blogs i have found usefull.

My suggestion is try to go for system trading development using index or stocks in sp500.

stockbee.blogspot.com
filteringwallstreet - this is discontinued but has good info -he has a simple plan of 4/8/21 ma crossover
ibankcoin.com -fly and woodshedder are good there

stocktwits - very good for day traders

elitetrader.com -forum for traders.

hopefulgc
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
- unless you have an account big enough to buy a mercedes SL500 , it is so not worth the time
- unless you can afford to lose $5k in a day, it not for you
- u can do ur taxes urself, no need for a tax consultant.. just use hrblock/ turbotax. make note of ur trades in a spreadsheet.
- day trading is fantastic.. ur immigration stress will take a backseat to the excitement (& shock!) you feel while doing it.
- now is not a good time to enter the market... will it go up? .. i don't know.. will it go down? .. i don't know. But the warning comes from volatility... it will shake you out.

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
TARG ZGEN FCEL IOC BLX ELN CTDC LIZ MNKD FSIN TMS BPHX ATML ALVR YRCW SNTS GSAT RAD AVII FORSY

Check them out ......Only for today trades. Nice long opportunities.

READ READ READ

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
- ........... ur immigration stress will take a backseat to the excitement (& shock!) you feel while doing it.

I say Stress BAHAR ...PAISA andar oops $ andar

not a good time to enter the market... will it go up? .. i don't know.. will it go down? .. i don't know. But the warning comes from volatility... it will shake you out.

Thanks HopefulGC

nixstor
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
chintu25,

I did not ask you to explain any thing to me. You needed to make a good argument on why this idea can channelize negative energy into positive and what are the risks involved. What can any one infer when you end your post with "Now lets play"? You might not have intended what it meant but it can mean different things to different people and I guess you would agree that there are people who think as I do about day trading. Please do not guess my knowledge of day trading and what it is limited to. Your initial post does not underscore the risks significantly. IMHO, Day trading fits a specific set of people who can not only handle the risk but also can handle the stress. Your feelings might be different. How ever, some one else pointed out the research done on day trading.

While I appreciate your noble intention to channelize the negative energy, the potential risk of getting a double whammy (immigration + stocks) needed to be underscored and I think did that. I will leave it there and do not want to take this discussion further on my opinions about day trading and it's nitty gritty.

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
chintu25,

I did not ask you to explain any thing to me. You needed to make a good argument ..............hink did that. I will leave it there and do not want to take this discussion further on my opinions about day trading and it's nitty gritty.

Ouch Nix..... Relax

One of the important principals of trading longterm / day or swing is "DO NOT OVER THINK " Trader will loose all the rationale when his/her money is on the line.

DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR TRADES Get your profits and move out or cut your losses and move on.

MAKE A PLAN ...STICK TO IT

I will try to answer any questions that anyone may have. I can also give an overview of my trading strategy on my blog posts.

Please do check the blogs and leave comments too.

Thanks to Pappu for letting me do the blogs

Last but not the least ......If you like what you read ...Consider donating atleast $ 10 to IV today ......

Thanks and Lets Play ;)

gchopes
01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
What form does your brokerage firm send you at the end of the year? Is it a 1099-INT form that records your profits for the year? What if it were a loss. Do you still get a 1099-INT.

An H1B working for a single employer will have only one W-2 but he / she may have different 1099-INTs from savings accounts / trading firms etc for filing taxes. This should be ok, correct?

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
What form does your brokerage firm send you at the end of the year? Is it a 1099-INT form that records your profits for the year? What if it were a loss. Do you still get a 1099-INT.

An H1B working for a single employer will have only one W-2 but he / she may have different 1099-INTs from savings accounts / trading firms etc for filing taxes. This should be ok, correct?

Investments are not reflected on W2. If you use a broker such as TDAmeritrade etc they will issue you a 1099

You will receive an IRS Consolidated Form 1099 - an all-inclusive document showing your reportable income and transactions for the entire tax year - if your brokerage account received at least $10 in either dividends, interest or original issue discount (OID) income, or had an equity sale, in the 2008 tax year.

- You will not receive a Consolidated Form 1099 for a retirement account, tax-exempt account, corporate account or foreign account.

- In addition, you may receive a corrected Consolidated Form 1099 if you held an investment trust that reclassified income after this form was sent to you.

There are 2 sets of rates.

1. Short Term Captial Gains
2. Long Term Capital Gains Taxes

Short term capital gains taxes are on stocks that have been held less than one year before selling.

Long time term capital gains taxes are on stocks that have been held more than one year before selling.

Long term capital gains taxes are less than short term capital gains taxes.

If you don't sell the stock, there is no tax on the capital gains.

The amount of tax depends your tax bracket.

The taxes on dividends are usually less than short term capital gains tax. So if you have a stock that is about to pay a dividend, get the dividend before selling, as that will reduce your capital gains.

Hope this helps

gchopes
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks. That does help a lot. Once we receive the consolidated 1099 we complete the Schedule D (and D1 if there are more transactions than what can fit on Schedule D) and report the capital gains on the 1040. Correct?

rick_rajvanshi
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
TARG ZGEN FCEL IOC BLX ELN CTDC LIZ MNKD FSIN TMS BPHX ATML ALVR YRCW SNTS GSAT RAD AVII FORSY

READ READ READ

Can you post your trading log from last few trading days for us to see ?

ImmiLosers
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM

READ READ READ

Chintuji,

How do you analyze it?

GC_Applicant
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
>>Please do check the blogs and leave comments too.

Can you let me know the URL for your blogs.

Thanks

chintu25
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
>>Please do check the blogs and leave comments too.

Can you let me know the URL for your blogs.

Thanks

I am blogging right here on IV blogs . Check IV blogs and you will see my posts there.

I will try and post watches here on the blogs too.

Here is the link

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/blog.php

chintu25
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Chintuji,

How do you analyze it?

I run a few filters (scans ) each night and also watch pre in the morning

chintu25
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I would like all members interested to come together at one place so we can start real discussions and trade talks .

Do let me know if you yall think its a good idea and I will get us a group id or something

redgreen
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I couldn't find any of your blogs in IV blogs!

Anyway as someone suggested can you post all of your transactions in the last one week, atleast. Did you gain or lose?
What is the percentage profit you made since you started day trading, last year, last three months, last month, last week, etc.

I am blogging right here on IV blogs . Check IV blogs and you will see my posts there.

I will try and post watches here on the blogs too.

Here is the link

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/blog.php

chintu25
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I couldn't find any of your blogs in IV blogs!

Anyway as someone suggested can you post all of your transactions in the last one week, atleast. Did you gain or lose?
What is the percentage profit you made since you started day trading, last year, last three months, last month, last week, etc.

Dude relax.......
Do you want me to read out my balance sheets to you ....why dont I also tell you about all prescription meds I take along with those of my neighbors.

Do you think this is some kind of chit fund Scam here. Youve gotta rise above that now.

No one is forcing anyone to read any blogs or posts.

READ my first post .......I do this cause I feel good about it ..you dont need to go all ballistic ......

Why are some of us so irritated and ready to blow....Channelize this energy into some thing good...Go build a tree house or something

I am not here to say use my method I am here to say "HEY check this out It works "

Well Now I traded last month with about 30% realized profit .... Realized means I took it out of the brokerage account so Now I have taxes on it

If you keep your earning in the brokerage for a year or more you get to pay less taxes .

No I will not make, bake and serve cake for you mr redgreen . YOU need to get your lazy ass up and make it. I will show you how it can be made .

U make u Eat

GC_Applicant
01-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a good ldea!!

Do let me know if you yall think its a good idea and I will get us a group id or something

smisachu
01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Let us start from the basics. I see there is much interest but there are different types of investors/interests here. I will knock off one at a time.
There are many types of traders, I will write about different trading strategies including factors and key concepts in a series of short posts. I donít want to post everything in one single post as it makes for a very lengthy read and I donít have time. You can ask me questions on each post and I can answer them.

Disclaimer- I am not recommending any strategy but only educating. Risk management is key to avoid burn out.

Day Traders- They trade intraday and capitalize very short term patterns in stock movement. They are not invertors but gamblers, but semi scientific gamblers (If you can call them that).
Technical analysis is the key to day trading. Technical analysis states that stocks follow patterns which could be identified and future movement could be predicted. This future movement is only valid for a short period of time. When a pattern forms and is identified, the future movement is called a break out. Some key technical analysis methods are supports, resistances, trading channels, triangles, pendants, diamonds, wedge, head and shoulders, island bottoms, etc etc.. There are also oscillators which are based on mathematical formulas that incorporate historical or recent prices of the stock like Bollinger bands, fast/slow stochastic, KST, Moving average convergence-divergence (MACD), momentum, Relative strength Index (RSI) and Williams %R etc, etc..
There techniques have been studied to death and have become self fulfilling prophecies. People see a trend and put on bets that the stock will behave in a particular manner and by the weight of these trades the stock does exactly as predicted. Usually day traders specialize in 1 or 2 stocks and no more than 4-5. They study and understand how the stock behaves and utilize these short term trends. You need to go long when you see a trend forming and go short when you see the trend maxing out to catch break outs in either direction. Since you are capitalizing on small price differentials you need to use leverage to make meaningful profits. This makes trading risky. You need to have entry and exit points and trade with discipline. Use algorithmic trading platforms to take out emotions from the trade. Always have a stop out.
Good reads- Come in to trading room, Equity trader course, Technical analysis of financial markets-by Murphy and many more.

gcgreen
01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Chintu: Explain Wash sale rules too... taxes are a pain with day trading.

Also, ppl on H1B have to be really careful about not getting classified as "active traders." That IMHO could jeopardize status. All who want to get into day trading, do your research. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Investments are not reflected on W2. If you use a broker such as TDAmeritrade etc they will issue you a 1099

You will receive an IRS Consolidated Form 1099 - an all-inclusive document showing your reportable income and transactions for the entire tax year - if your brokerage account received at least $10 in either dividends, interest or original issue discount (OID) income, or had an equity sale, in the 2008 tax year.

- You will not receive a Consolidated Form 1099 for a retirement account, tax-exempt account, corporate account or foreign account.

- In addition, you may receive a corrected Consolidated Form 1099 if you held an investment trust that reclassified income after this form was sent to you.

There are 2 sets of rates.

1. Short Term Captial Gains
2. Long Term Capital Gains Taxes

Short term capital gains taxes are on stocks that have been held less than one year before selling.

Long time term capital gains taxes are on stocks that have been held more than one year before selling.

Long term capital gains taxes are less than short term capital gains taxes.

If you don't sell the stock, there is no tax on the capital gains.

The amount of tax depends your tax bracket.

The taxes on dividends are usually less than short term capital gains tax. So if you have a stock that is about to pay a dividend, get the dividend before selling, as that will reduce your capital gains.

Hope this helps

redgreen
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Please use proper language 'money helper'
You think you can make people who are not even aware of 'day trading' the greatest financial experts, by your 'blogs' (where are they?)
I don't want your 'cake', for that matter anybody's. You eat well (and have stomach problems). Why bother to educate this nonsense here.
I asked because when you try people to this trap, you should have the basic decency to tell atleast how much you lost!
if people are interested in financial investments and if they have enough knowledge, surely they won't come here to read your crap. Anyway those who become educated reading things here are destined to lose.

Dude relax.......
Do you want me to read out my balance sheets to you ....why dont I also tell you about all prescription meds I take along with those of my neighbors.

Do you think this is some kind of chit fund Scam here. Youve gotta rise above that now.

No one is forcing anyone to read any blogs or posts.

READ my first post .......I do this cause I feel good about it ..you dont need to go all ballistic ......

Why are some of us so irritated and ready to blow....Channelize this energy into some thing good...Go build a tree house or something

I am not here to say use my method I am here to say "HEY check this out It works "

Well Now I traded last month with about 30% realized profit .... Realized means I took it out of the brokerage account so Now I have taxes on it

If you keep your earning in the brokerage for a year or more you get to pay less taxes .

No I will not make, bake and serve cake for you mr redgreen . YOU need to get your lazy ass up and make it. I will show you how it can be made .

U make u Eat

bitu72
01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
well red and green u dont have to be so harsh.. a desi is willing to tell and share his success lets listen.. i know its pretty difficult to outsmart the people who have invested thousand of hours .
last 4 yr of study tells me there is money to make , fastest way to make money..you have to make sure its safe..
so i will like the idea of a yahoo group... i have spend almost 4yr * 2 to 3 hrs daily.. didnt make much money at all... but i can honestly tell you there is lot of oppurtunity here.. as long as you can spend time and be patient.. read stockbee blog its a good start.

i like to hear trading strategy from anyone who is doing good..as long as they dont start selling snake oil..

pappu
01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
well red and green u dont have to be so harsh.. a desi is willing to tell and share his success lets listen.. i know its pretty difficult to outsmart the people who have invested thousand of hours .
last 4 yr of study tells me there is money to make , fastest way to make money..you have to make sure its safe..
so i will like the idea of a yahoo group... i have spend almost 4yr * 2 to 3 hrs daily.. didnt make much money at all... but i can honestly tell you there is lot of oppurtunity here.. as long as you can spend time and be patient.. read stockbee blog its a good start.

i like to hear trading strategy from anyone who is doing good..as long as they dont start selling snake oil..

We can create a small area within IV forums for people to share knowledge on various non immigration subjects. What do you think?

amsgc
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't think you need to worry about that anymore.

We can create a small area within IV forums for people to share knowledge on various non immigration subjects. What do you think?

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:15 PM
You think you can make people who are not even aware of 'day trading' the greatest financial experts, by your 'blogs'.....................nts and if they have enough knowledge, surely they won't come here to read your crap. Anyway those who become educated reading things here are destined to lose.

Arnt u a piece of work mr redgreen

Looks like u lost a shit load of mullah on phony stock pumping sites

Welcome to real world and real trades.

Relax and listen before forming an opinion.

No one will judge you here. We are all here to earn .

Crap u say hmm

Did any one invite you here

quote ..........if they have enough knowledge, surely they won't come here to read your crap..........

Yor are HERE reading it obviously hmm makes me wonder if you like crap

QUOTE .......Anyway those who become educated reading things here are destined to lose

Did lord Krishna or Prophet Mohammed made you see our destiny

Dude Ask them when the Priority dates will become current ;)

Ok now back to the basics

I have noticed that a lot of stocks that are worthless are pumped and picked by phony sites ....You might even be recieving spam emails asking you to watch certain trades.

Put them on a separate watch list since most of them usually spike for a bit and settle down ...What a DT does intelligently is to watch the spike and "Short" it when it starts sliding back again

This needs a lot of patience to learn and experience...so I suggest you not to trade in them for now and watch the plays.

Day Trading is like riding a bicycle , I believe , When you dont know how to ride it , even a straight road looks like a uphill task but as you learn and have more control over yourself....You start riding and with experience also know how to avoid the pot holes but most importantly how to get out and balance your self if you ever do land on it.

And then there are the ones who do Stunt tricks like Wheelies and back riding .......Thats what attracts novice to riding but you cant do that the first day Can You ???

chintu25
01-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Very Nice idea .. Thanks

cooldude0807
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Chintu25 was talking abt reading patterns on a trade which are also known as Technical Analysis. For those who don't like to read books (that includes me too!!)...here is a link to a series of youtube vidoes that explains different patterns which in turn help you predict a trend (uptrend or downtrend) on a stock that you like.
Hope this helps to those who are interested!!!
here is the link http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=33D0C18CDEBF64B7
Happy Trading!!

breddy2000
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Wall Street's Rigged Casino

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/barry/2009/0113.html

Last year was certainly a turbulent one for investors. Not only did good assets and companies sell off with bad, but the very integrity of the U.S. markets was brought into question. Financial firms spend millions of dollars convincing the average citizen that investing in stocks is necessary and prudent, yet the playing field is far from level. Fraud, naked shorting and other forms of manipulation are now endemic to the American markets. As Overstock's lawyer, John O'Quinn points out, “You have more chance to be treated fairly in a casino in Vegas.” How can you invest if you can't trust the system?
Jim Puplava, Mike Schneider and a few other journalists have exposed the prevalence of naked shorting on Wall Street. While selling short is a legitimate activity, naked shorting occurs when parties sell shares they don't own and don't intend to borrow, causing more shares to be traded than actually exist. Approximately 7.5% of the trades reported by the DTCC fail to deliver each day, and this agency is private and not at all transparent. Furthermore, 96% of all stock transactions are completed outside the official system and are totally unregulated.
Regulation SHO was enacted in 2005 by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to supposedly eliminate chronic settlement failures by forcing brokers to close out positions after thirteen consecutive trading days. However the regulation doesn't cover small and micro cap companies, or failures to deliver (FTDs) that are below a certain numerical threshold. Market makers were exempt from this regulation until last fall, and old FTDs were allowed to remain open. Some corporations remained on the threshold list for over a year consecutively with no relief from the SEC.

Chairman Cox admitted in July 2006 that there were many large loopholes in Regulation SHO which allowed predatory shorting to continue. Few firms were investigated, and even those brokers who were caught paid minimal fines. Almost nothing was done until naked shorting threatened “the stability of financial institutions,” according to Cox. In July 2008, the SEC banned naked shorting of 19 select financial firms. With this rule and the subsequent emergency order banning all short selling in 799 financial institutions, Cox admitted that naked shorting was a serious problem, but the SEC would only enforce the rules for certain institutions that deserved the effort.

The Commission has demonstrated where its real allegiance lies, and it’s not with the small investor. For years, hedge funds, brokerages, and investment banks soaked up fat profits by naked shorting promising companies to death. These shorts never have to be covered if the company is delisted and goes bankrupt, so it’s a very lucrative criminal practice. When some of these same corporations that preyed on small cap stocks suffered share price drops due to their hideous balance sheets, the SEC moved in to give them special protection.

Even with some of the loopholes closed, market manipulation still goes on. As Allan Young points out on his website, naked shorting is in effect another derivative like credit default swaps or mortgage backed securities. Predatory brokers can sell more shares than exist, as if they are buying a put (a bet that prices will go down). Sell enough shares and you can ensure your bet is correct. These brokers can later close out their naked shorts and avoid censure from the SEC.

Although the most egregious violations of the naked short rules have been eliminated, with corporations like Overstock now off the naked short list, much of the damage has already been done. Many solid businesses have been naked shorted out of existence, leading to unemployment and destruction of wealth for millions of taxpayers. U.S. citizens are angry and scared as they watch their stock portfolios shrink, and see their pensions in jeopardy.

This begs the question as to why the U.S. government would prop the markets up on one hand using the Plunge Protection Team, while allowing naked shorting on the other which pushes the share prices down. I can only conclude that the system is designed to redistribute wealth from small investors to elite bankers and hedge fund managers. Perhaps the stock markets were allowed to decline so the politically connected shorts could cover profitably. With the close relationship between Wall Street, regulators, Congress, and the Treasury Department full of former Goldman Sachs executives, it's clear that the average worker with retirement money invested in the market is at an extreme disadvantage.
The SEC suffered another embarassment with the revelation that Bernard Madoff ran a US$50 billion Ponzi scheme disguised as a hedge fund for several years. Only a tip from Madoff's sons to the FBI unraveled the scheme. In fact, the SEC investigated Madoff's company eight times over more than a decade and failed to find any fraud. A former SEC attorney is now married to Madoff's niece, raising doubts about his objectivity in examining Madoff's books. Even when Harry Markopoulos, a private whistleblower, produced evidence that Madoff's trading results could not be replicated, no one at the SEC took him seriously.

Congress has been quick to blame Commissioner Cox, a former colleague for the Madoff scandal. However, missteps and inadequate enforcement predate Cox, who has only run the SEC since August 2005.

Obama's pick to replace Cox, Mary Schapiro has many flaws of her own. She previously appointed one of Madoff's sons to a disciplinary board, making her judgement look very poor. Schapiro is currently chief of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, a self regulating body which has been even less willing than usual to crack down on Wall Street abuses during her tenure. She ran the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) under President Clinton, an agency that has been unable or unwilling to perceive the manipulation in the precious metals markets while pursuing collusion in other commodities. Schapiro stated she was inspired to pursue a regulatory career by watching the Hunt brothers' silver moves, so we know where her biases lie.

As an analyst, I spend hours each week poring over balance sheets, and reading financial statements of companies I may want to recommend to my subscribers. My task is made very difficult by the widespread financial fraud. While Madoff's results were too good to be true, other forms of deception are extremely hard to detect. Satyam is the latest scandal to hit Wall Street. Although the corporation is headquartered in India, Satyam has Fortune 500 clients in the U.S. and is listed on the NYSE. It has to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley regulations just like any American company, rules that are supposed to enforce honesty and transparency. Satyam – which is Sanskrit for truth - was awarded the Golden Peacock award for corporate governance just three months ago, in an amazing bit of irony.

With all these scandals, no wonder Merrill Lynch reports that rich customers are demanding gold coins and bars instead of shares in “paper gold” like ETFs. Credible stories indicate that the COMEX warehouses are experiencing record activity as receipt holders seek delivery of their gold. Brokers are apparently attempting to discourage this activity to squelch metal demand. When trust is eroded, people naturally seek safety in an asset without counterparty risk like gold.

If you are a stock investor despite all these perils, how to you separate the wheat from the chaff? First you have to find industries with impeccable fundamentals. While commodities suffered greatly in 2008, I believe they will see a strong rebound in 2009.

Second, check the track record of management and look for any hints of impropriety. Third, read the financial statements and look for unnecessarily complicated structures or conflicts of interest: these are red flags. Fourth, if results seem unbelievably excellent, they may be fictional. Fifth, while you can no longer take delivery of shares in the United States, you can contact the companies you invest in to determine if you are on the list of legitimate shareholders or a victim of naked shorting. Sixth, diversify into several different companies so if one is fraudulent you don't lose all your money. With the danger inherent in stocks, I recommend only investing capital you can afford to lose.

pointlesswait
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
chintu ..u must have made a ton load on money on TARG..

>what would be a minimum investment ..100$ or 10k..

READ READ READ

gcdreamer05
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Very Nice idea .. Thanks

Hi Chintu25,

You are doing something which is really helpful for the folks out here. Thank you for that.

Most people are not willing to share the knowledge they learnt.

So i would request you not to get carried away by few folks who are asking stupid questions like post your transactions or tell us how much u made etc...
What do they expect you to post your SSN and W2 or what :D

God !!! even if someone comes forward to help everyone eyes them with a suspicion......

Just keep up the good work you have been doing !!!

Thanks
Dreamer

niklshah
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
You think you can make people who are not even aware of 'day trading' the greatest financial experts, by your 'blogs' (where are they?)
I don't want your 'cake', for that matter anybody's. You eat well (and have stomach problems). Why bother to educate this nonsense here.
I asked because when you try people to this trap, you should have the basic decency to tell atleast how much you lost!
if people are interested in financial investments and if they have enough knowledge, surely they won't come here to read your crap. Anyway those who become educated reading things here are destined to lose.

i dont understand why people wants to contradict in every post, chintu is trying to share some knowledge if u dont want it thats fine u dont need to contradict it....even i dont do this stock stuff but that does not mean i should contradict it...

breddy2000
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
chintu ..u must have made a ton load on money on TARG..

>what would be a minimum investment ..100$ or 10k..

Its not true Chintu might have made tons of money on TARG.

This is called Gap up. Entry point for this day trade would have been at 2.4 and it went upto 2.5. Its a cent more from the entry point.

When market opens it shows 2.4 and you can buy at 2.4 and not at the previous closing price at 1.12.

Hope you got it...

Seeing all the stock quotes from what is being recommended.

ZGEN ---> Open 4.6 close 3.91 --> Loss
IOC ---> Open 19.5 close 20.5 ---> Profit
BLX ---> Open 10 close 10.6 ---> Profit
ELN ---> Open 8.5 close 7.8 ---> Loss
CTDC ---> Open 3.05 close 2.91 ---> Loss
LIZ ---> Open 3.25 close 2.75 ---> Loss
MNKD ---> Open 3.62 close 3.76 ---> Profit
FSIN ---> Open 5.5 close 5.04 ---> Loss
TMS ---> Open 1.93 close 1.86 ---> Loss
BPHX ---> Open 2.25 close 2.16 ---> Loss
ATML ---> Open 3.10 Close 3.20 ---> Profit
YRCW ---> Open 4.12 Close 4.08 ---> Loss
SNTS ---> Open 1.69 Close 1.67 ---> Loss
GSAT ---> Open 0.47 Close 0.4 ---> Loss
RAD ---> Open 0.35 Close 0.37 ---> Profit
AVII ---> Open 0.95 Close 0.97 ---> Profit
FORSY ---> Open 2.04 Close 1.80 ---> Loss

And if you considered putting your money on all these stocks and calculate the Profit / Loss percentage, it would be anybody's guess how much would have been lost in a single day assuming you have have put in equal amount of money in each of these stocks yesterday.

I'm not against trading , Just wanted to show my constructive criticism.

gckp
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi,
Could anybody suggest good Forex Broker..

cooldude0807
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Okay, now members of this forum are financial advisers as well. Does Day Trading help you get Green Card. If no, what is this baseless, senseless and unrelated post doing here ? Don't tell people what to do with their money, nobody cares what you think.

Dude, the thread says "People interested in Trading Stocks ETFs "..if u don't care then why even bother reading it..there are other threads that talk abt GC..look at those..

ItIsNotFunny
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM

I think this is a very good idea.

chintu25
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Its not true Chintu might have made tons ....................................stocks yesterday.

Hello,

Good point by BReddy,

The stocks I suggested are for Shorts as well as Longs. You have to watch your "CHARTS" .

I did make some mo on TARG These plays were only for that day I do not recommend playing them even one day after that

I run scans nightly as well as in the Pre Hours for day trading .

Answer to Pointlesswait ....Most of the brokerages would need atleast 500 to open an account....You can play as little as 100 but your profits will be eaten away by the trade fee.

BReddy....I remember when I just started doing this .......Even names like GAp etc were greek to me ...hence am trying to be as simple as I can with the basics before we get into finer details .

I would like to encourage yall to come forward and ask questions ...If I cannot answer them , I will find it out or some one else on the forum who has the knowledge may answer them too.

I will post tomm's plays if anyone is interested ...Lemme Know

Thanks

cooldude0807
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
What are your plays for tomorrow?

smisachu
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
You have to see what the indicators said. These were the stocks recommended but the charts will tell you whether to go long or go short.

I am not endorsing these recommendations, but letting everyone know that this is not stock picking for investing. You can only pick a stock with potential for a breakout, which could be in either direction. So you will have to use technical analysis to put a long or short bet.

The other thing you can do is trade options. Which is what I usually do. If implied volatility is higher than historical volatility, like it is now for almost anything. You put on an option straddle, which will profit regardless of the direction of move as long as the stock makes a 2 or more standard deviation move. This is called be long Vega. And being Delta neutral as the direction of movement does not matter.

The constraints, this is not for day trading. Option contarcts do not exist on all stocks and the strategy is more complicated and needs a good understanding of financial mathematics.

Its not true Chintu might have made tons of money on TARG.

Seeing all the stock quotes from what is being recommended.

ZGEN ---> Open 4.6 close 3.91 --> Loss
IOC ---> Open 19.5 close 20.5 ---> Profit
BLX ---> Open 10 close 10.6 ---> Profit
ELN ---> Open 8.5 close 7.8 ---> Loss
CTDC ---> Open 3.05 close 2.91 ---> Loss
LIZ ---> Open 3.25 close 2.75 ---> Loss
MNKD ---> Open 3.62 close 3.76 ---> Profit
FSIN ---> Open 5.5 close 5.04 ---> Loss
TMS ---> Open 1.93 close 1.86 ---> Loss
BPHX ---> Open 2.25 close 2.16 ---> Loss
ATML ---> Open 3.10 Close 3.20 ---> Profit
YRCW ---> Open 4.12 Close 4.08 ---> Loss
SNTS ---> Open 1.69 Close 1.67 ---> Loss
GSAT ---> Open 0.47 Close 0.4 ---> Loss
RAD ---> Open 0.35 Close 0.37 ---> Profit
AVII ---> Open 0.95 Close 0.97 ---> Profit
FORSY ---> Open 2.04 Close 1.80 ---> Loss

And if you considered putting your money on all these stocks and calculate the Profit / Loss percentage, it would be anybody's guess how much would have been lost in a single day assuming you have have put in equal amount of money in each of these stocks yesterday.

ImmiLosers
01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
What are your plays for tomorrow?

If I do not see nervousness in the markets then I think tomorrow I am going to buy Oracle, Wal-Mart, Devon and may be Cisco. Expected return by BOB's inauguration 10%.
For Novices - do not buy SMALL Cap and Do not buy stocks < $5 (as suggested by Chintu25)

smisachu
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Look out for AAPL. Stocks getting clobbred in the after hours as Jobs announced he is taking a medical leave. Also guys in forex watch EUR/GBP.

If I do not see nervousness in the markets then I think tomorrow I am going to buy Oracle, Wal-Mart, Devon and may be Cisco. Expected return by BOB's inauguration 10%.
For Novices - do not buy SMALL Cap and Do not buy stocks < $5 (as suggested by Chintu25)

Madhuri
01-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I will post tomm's plays if anyone is interested ...Lemme Know

Thanks

What are your plays tomorow?

I am thinking of buying BRCM,CSCO and UHG

chintu25
01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
What are your plays tomorow?

I am thinking of buying BRCM,CSCO and UHG

I will finalize the plays by today late night and tomm morning I will post em

CSCO and UHG look good for long term trades .Cant say much about thier prospects in DT...

Green_Always
01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Chintu,

Can you pls let me know more on -- I run scans nightly as well as in the Pre Hours for day trading .

like how to do this, any tools we need to do this,

I heard some friends saying using L2 charts, ( I am new to this and Plan to do trading from now as I think it is good to enter now or it is right time to get in .. )

Look forward to hear from you.

It would have been nice if some kind of chat can be done on this website.. :-)

Let me know if it is ok to you to communicate with me I can give my email ID.

thanks and regards, - ramki.

saketh555
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm gaining lot of knowledge by going through this thread. Thanks for the contributors.

a2006
01-15-2009, 01:25 AM
I will finalize the plays by today late night and tomm morning I will post em

CSCO and UHG look good for long term trades .Cant say much about thier prospects in DT...
Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. I am not into DT or anything but the read certainly helps in understanding how the financial markets work, beyond the simple buys and sells that people generally see.

breddy2000
01-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Based on my exprience I would like to share my knowledge on Investing and Trading on how the market works.May help you better understand the market dynamics

1.) 99% of stocks have wild swings up or down during the Pre market or After Market where most of the retail investors do not have the previledge of buying/selling. Usually the swings are very fast (in a matter or minutes or seconds). This is the place where most of the money is made or lost.This usually happens based on news like Earnings, sector updates or analyst upgrades/downgrades.

2.) Always stick with Market Leaders in a sector while putting your money in trading/investing. This is because the risk of loss is minimal.

3.) Never touch penny stocks or stocks with very low $ value. Reason being this is where most of the manipulations happen. Stocks going up or down wildly based on no news. This is called a pump and dump strategy used by the Hedge funds. They are meant to deceive the retail investors into buying or selling stocks or for cleaning up the placed stop loss points.
Since Hedge funds have huge money power, they can play with the stocks using multiple strategies that make them money.

Here is a scenario.... Lets say a particular Hedge Fund want to make the price of a stock to go up/down to make profit,They are usually combined with Options. Lets say I have a Million dollar and I want to make 20% on a particular trade assuming a stock with current value of $50(Remember more money means, more buying power and more volume which dictates price action). I would short a stock with 750 K dollars and buy lots of put options on that stock with remaning 250k. Shorting usually means trader making a bet that the stock price is not worth the current price and is expecting it to buy at a lower price(called short covering).

When a stock is shorted with huge money(mind you hedge funds have of tons of money and they have stock value controlling power).The price of the stock they expect it to go down to lets say $40(be it clean up of most of the stop losses people have placed,or creating a scenario of fear. People panic and sell it and there by still reducing the price to lets say $35.

So here Hedge fund manipulators have made whooping $15 per contract(1 contract is 100 shares) multiplied by the number of put options bought.(Options do not cost as much as a stock and they make more money than a stock on a % base ranging from 100% to 10,000% )

Once the share price goes to $35 they cover the short position and go long on the stock buying it at $35. Later once the stock price goes back to $50 they made profit both ways while making the stock price go down and back to its original value $50.
When they do this, these are usually associated with Analyst downgrades/upgrades. When the news hits, they execute the trade, there by making it look real.

Also most of the Analysts are Hedge Fund buddies and are paid for these kind of favours and of get caught , they are penalized with penalty. Its nothing compared to what they actually make.

3.) Never trust Analysts blindly. Example Goldman Sacs had predicted the Oil price to go to $200 when the price was at $147 peak in mid 2008. Today the price is at $38. Its very rare to find unbaised Analysts. Every one out there on Wall Street are meant to make money by hook or cook..Always do your own DD(due deligence) based on sector trend, financial statements, p/e etc.

Analysts are just MBA graduates(not that I have a low opinion about the profession), they usually lack the technical knowledge about the Industry they deal with. Its better to trust company's management as they are obligated to release news to public based on SEC rules and regulations and they are less likely to deceive (and pls dont shoot me down about Satyam's taking example of Satyam's management)

4.) Never fall prey to recommendation of any stocks by media. Example Motley fool , market street etc. They pump news so frequently which makes your head spin, cau se they never stick to their words. What they say today will be exactly opposite of what they might say tomorrow.Today's sell could be tomorrows buy.

5.) Always use caution when trading on the day prior to earnings. Have a close look at how other companies performed in the same sector.
If a company announces excellent results and the stock price shoots, then related companies will follow the suit. Example, lets say Walmart had very good earnings, then Kmart or JC penny might shoot up based on Walmart news. And since not all companies announce the results on the same day, its better to see the chart before making a bet on the stock price before earnings release.

I still have tons and tons of info ...These are just the tip of ice berg scenarios.

Will share more later.

If others can add to this list based on your experiences ,that would be great....

Money is there in the Market to be made which looks like its pretty easy from outside, but based on the above discussed constraints, do you really feel its easy ?????

There is no "silver bullet" strategy that can work always, be it technical or fundamental and you cannot make money on each and every trade. If it would have been the case, I would have simply built an automated system based on my strategy that will sound like a "Money Making machine"

Last but not the least, While Cintu25 is trying to make you money with his good intention, I'm trying to share my experience on how to better manage risks.....

chintu25
01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Watches for Today

ZGEN
BRKR
LJPC
LAB
USAT
EROC
RBCN
CAR
BBND
ANDS
INVC
ACOR
AMMD
ASYS

Do not ever Trade in Pre Market.High Volatility , super easy to loose your shirt

gcdreamer05
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Guys, books are the best way to learn something and here is a free link to one of the ebooks which teaches trading...
(a small help from my side)

The book name is "Come into my trading room - a complete guide to trading" written by elder alexander

http://www.4shared.com/file/26362749/cb2d9492/Elder_Alexander_-_Come_Into_My_Trading_Room_-_A_Complete_Guide_To_Trading.html?s=1

Green_Always
01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Based on my exprience I would like to share my knowledge on Investing and Trading on how the market works.May help you better understand the market dynamics

Thanks for Information.

sumanitha
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Watches for Today

ZGEN
BRKR
LJPC
LAB
USAT
EROC
RBCN
CAR
BBND
ANDS
INVC
ACOR
AMMD
ASYS

Do not ever Trade in Pre Market.High Volatility , super easy to loose your shirt

Do you think Investing in Bank of America now is a good idea? Today it is 7.54 per share..

breddy2000
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Assume MMs(Market Makers) know everyone of you, your positions and every of your trades, in real time.

It it their advantages to have this data. And it is so easy nowadays to have a simple program analyzing these data in real time to profile trades in terms of who they are (inst/retailer, between themselves or not), block size distribution, duration of trades (how long the buy/sell mode last), etc.

Most of daytraders do not have these information. That's why most of the daytraders lose money in trading

ImmiLosers
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Today is No BUY Day...

ImmiLosers
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Guys, books are the best way to learn something and here is a free link to one of the ebooks which teaches trading...
(a small help from my side)

The book name is "Come into my trading room - a complete guide to trading" written by elder alexander

http://www.4shared.com/file/26362749/cb2d9492/Elder_Alexander_-_Come_Into_My_Trading_Room_-_A_Complete_Guide_To_Trading.html?s=1

This book looks cool...

Thanks for sharing it.

ImmiLosers
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Based on my exprience I would like to share my knowledge on Investing and Trading on how the market works.May help you better understand the market dynamics...

Good comments...

chintu25
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Do you think Investing in Bank of America now is a good idea? Today it is 7.54 per share..

Sumanitha,

Kind of bad news here for BOA

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2009/db20090115_900929.htm

STOCK DROPPED 14 % APPROX ...Would ve been a great short.

Still good for Long term

chintu25
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Watch UYG guys It will cross 4.50 - 5.00

Green_Always
01-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Watch UYG guys It will cross 4.50 - 5.00

Chintu,

Can you pls let me know more on -- I run scans nightly as well as in the Pre Hours for day trading .

tks and rgds - ramki.

snathan
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM

If you are ready to wait for couple of years...this is the time to buy. once the economy bounce, you can get multi bagger from this BAC

bitu72
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
chintu,

do u work from home or monitor this from office , how do u manage with work.
give some more strategy insights.

chintu25
01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
chintu,

do u work from home or monitor this from office , how do u manage with work.
give some more strategy insights.

Hi Bitu,

I run my filters in the night and then in the morning for pre .

You can put in a conditional order and let it work...........but it is better if you moitor it .

HAIL BLACKBERRY.

Tip If your spouse/uncle/aunty/teen kid are at home they can put in the plays for you ..

TDM offer trade alerts that you can configure and it will send u a SMS

chintu25
01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Chintu,

tks and rgds - ramki.

Hi Ramki,

I think this question is better answered in a discussion environment ....

Let us all fix a time to meet on Immigration voice chat some time this week night or weekend to discuss ideas.

We can meet tomm at 9.30 EST for an hour or so ?

Please confirm availability those who can

sunofeast_gc
01-16-2009, 01:59 AM
If you want to invest in bank or financial sector then I think instead of buying BAC , you can buy financial ETF like XLF so your investment return won’t depends on the future of a single bank.

Green_Always
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Ramki,

Let us all fix a time to meet on Immigration voice chat some time this week night or weekend to discuss ideas.

Ok Chintu, it works for me as I am also in EST time zone, is it 9.30 AM / PM ? I will be online most of the time, you can ping me any time.. ( I will leave IV Browser open.. ) thanks and regards - Ramki.

GC_Applicant
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I'll join if its 9:30 PM EST.

Chintu, I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

chintu25
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll join if its 9:30 PM EST.

Chintu, I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

Yes ,
We will meet at 9.30 PM EST ..I hope all can join in

gcdreamer05
01-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Me too will join around 9:30 PM EST

pappu
01-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi Ramki,

Great Idea. Thanks

chintu25
01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
See you all at 9.30 PM EST tonight

Green_Always
01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
See you all at 9.30 PM EST tonight

Chintu, I sent you PM my contact number in case if required, I am not sure how voice chat / message chat will work on IV .

chintu25
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
There is no Voice chat we will have to type in

If there is interest then we can arrange telecons

pappu
01-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Starting next week we will make IV chat accessible to everyone so that it helps every genuine member. We had set up rules in the system to keep out anyone who does not take IV effort seriously and wants to create mischief.

The aim of the chat is to help build an IV community. If you have any ideas to improve the chat, please PM me directly. Do not post it as I may sometimes miss the posts. Thanks

mrane1
01-17-2009, 05:46 AM
I have been a trader for thr last 3 years. I am more of a swing trader than a day trader... But I do a lot of day trading too. I believe trading is the only way to make money in the stock market... Everything that the mainstream media tells about long term investing is baloney... Here is an excellent video about market manipulation by Jim Cramer (For the recrd, I hate the guy and he gives very bad advises... but then he just an entertainer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMShFx5rThI

Chintu has started an excellent topic here... It does require tremendous amount of discipline, patience and hard work and its definitely not for the faint hearted... Chintu is covering lots of things here, but the on;y thing I would like to add is learning about macro economics... that will help you spot major trends in the market... Also, apart from regular stocks there are double and triple long and inverse etfs... For eg FAS and FAZ... These are triple long and short etfs for the financial sector. These are leveraged three times, which means these are on full dose of steroids... If market goes up 10% these go up 30% and vice versa... so you can make or lose a lot of money in a very short time... Happy trading!

santa123
01-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Ramki,

Hi Chintu,
First of all, your willingness to share info that is beneficial to others is appreciated. When is the chat / telecon scheduled? I remember seeing something about yahoo chat, but not sure where it is gone (blame that friday night partying... :eek:)
Lemme know. Thanks!

GC_Applicant
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
It was an very informative chat on Friday. Looking forward for the next session.

Thanks to all the contributors and participants.

pappu
01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
There is a social group on IV for this. Pls join it too

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/group.php?groupid=2

If you want to start your own group on any topic you can do so too.

GC_Applicant
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Pappu,
Thanks for the info. I did join the group, IV Stockmarket Gurus, though I am not a guru yet :D.

Great job on the superb website. Its more functional and user friendly.

Green_Always
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I also joined that group,

Still I think we can use Messenger feature / utility available here for our next session,

Look forward for Chintu's comments for our next discussions, ( I missed last weeks )

Pappu, site looks great and also good to have new features / utility.

Thanks and Regards.

chintu25
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Hello Friends ,
I am back ....lets have another chat session .........please comment on "social area"

gcdreamer05
01-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I missed the last chat session, did it happen on IV chat or did they use yahoo or something else, because i could not see the chat text in the IV chat box...

Please do post the timings plz..

And a quick note - how does buying MSFT sound, it has dropped to 17.67 now....

chintu25
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I have created a chat room here on IV called tradersfortraders

Please PM me for the password for it .........We can meet tonight at 9.00 PM EST

chintu25
01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok guys I am on at the messenger from IV

Room name is

tradersfortraders

Passwrd is

traders

Green_Always
01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Chintu, can we have discussions on Friday Evening ?

I think I again missed on Thu Evening as per your previous post.

I have logged on to the chat right now..

Ok guys I am on at the messenger from IV

Room name is

tradersfortraders

Passwrd is

traders

chintu25
01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
A very informative article from Chicago mercantile exchange about Options trading ...

chintu25
01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Chintu, can we have discussions on Friday Evening ?

I think I again missed on Thu Evening as per your previous post.

I have logged on to the chat right now..

GA I have posted the transcripts on the blogs section .... We will try and do another chat session on some weekend again

Green_Always
01-23-2009, 10:57 PM
GA I have posted the transcripts on the blogs section .... We will try and do another chat session on some weekend again

If you dont mind can you pls give me the url for that.

Thank you, yes pls let me know in advance when is our next session like.

chintu25
01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
If you dont mind can you pls give me the url for that.

Thank you, yes pls let me know in advance when is our next session like.

U can click on the "Blog : 1" next to my name above this post in my name column

Green_Always
01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Chintu, Thank You !!!

U can click on the "Blog : 1" next to my name above this post in my name column

santa123
01-24-2009, 09:57 AM
good point ..I do invest in stocks / ETF's and funds ...but I would definitely say ..stay away from day trading !!! be diversified, invest in good companies (invest only pocket money/minor amount in very risky assets) and for the long term ..i.e. you should not need that money during emergencies ..STAY AWAY from all day trading softwares !!! and if you cannot take losses (or are happy with normal returns) ...stay away from stocks (except for a small portfolio/ 401 etc) completely

Hi Albertopinto,
Can you pls elaborate on why your are suggesting to stay away from day trading? wht kind of exp hv you had with day trading? I want to know the pros and cons and hear the experience from ppl with hands on / who hv tried day trading in the US and found it too risky. Thanks!

DallasBlue
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Albertopinto,
Can you pls elaborate on why your are suggesting to stay away from day trading? wht kind of exp hv you had with day trading? I want to know the pros and cons and hear the experience from ppl with hands on / who hv tried day trading in the US and found it too risky. Thanks!

As said earlier its addictive(substitue the word 'gambling'), heavy amount of risk involved , limits are high as well and one has to be careful while filing the taxes apart from all the risks associated with the regular stock trading. It aint bad if you can identify the trend and want to make some quick bucks.
Because of the volatility in the markets right now, day trading is thot to be beneficial at this time rather than holding.
But if you are new to trading and have some monies sitting in your checking a/c , I would advise you to put that in ETF's , as this timing is great for entry, as its the bottom of the barrell.
explore about the etf's @ http://finance.yahoo.com/etf , http://finance.yahoo.com/etf/education

good luck

chintu25
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Next Seminar 7.30 PM EST WEDNESDAY 28TH JANUARY 2009

It will be in IV CHAT ROOM ...No special room this time we will conduct in the main IV chat room . Any questions , please post here

MAJOR TOPICS

Compare brokerages to see which gives best value for the buck

Pattern Matching -- Trading without worrying about any complex charts or even filters or scans....

What are ETFs and how to squeeze them for Money in Volatile markets

REQUEST YOU TO BE ON TIME AND PLEASE RSVP at the SOCIAL NETWORKING PAGE "STOCK MARKET GURUS "

chintu25
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=albertpinto;312725]good point ..I do invest in stocks / ETF's and funds ...but I would definitely say ..stay away from day trading !!! be diversified, invest in good companies (invest only pocket money/minor amount in very risky assets) and for the long term ..i.e. you should not need that money during emergencies ..STAY AWAY from all day trading softwares !!! and if you cannot take losses (or are happy with normal returns) ...stay away from stocks (except for a small portfolio/ 401 etc) completely[/QUOTE

Thaks AP ...I thought all the Critics of Day trading here on IV were converted ...hehehehehe Not that You need to

Cool

Oh yeah it relives me of the stress for sure dude....

Gambling HUH ...

What are you/me doing with this GC quest ...You think this is not gambling ...This is worst dude ....you are here putting the PRIME years of your life at stake for an elusive GC DREAM.

Need a better life ...need a better standard of living... need Peace of Mind ... SO you are waiting for the GC like it is going to bring you a magic tonic.

Some one said.....If you keep waiting for all green lights you will be stuck at the same ol traffic stop .

I found trading as a way to try and achieve a better life...better standard of living and taking my mind of this biggest GAMBLE that we are in....

You me and everyone on this forum is here cause we are "HIGHLY SKILLED"

I WILL NOT WASTE my PRIME waiting for GC.

Do your best to support IV and its actions AND Do something to keep your self sharp too

I do stocks for that.... every one do something to not fall in the rut.....

I know people stuck as developers for 3-4-5-6 years cause their GC petition says Programmer .... Thats a rut . Get out and Get out of it NOW

Do something to keep ourselves SHARP.....

GC will not bring us a MONEY TREE , we will have to grow it ...

desi3933
01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
good point ..I do invest in stocks / ETF's and funds ...but I would definitely say ..stay away from day trading !!! be diversified, invest in good companies (invest only pocket money/minor amount in very risky assets) and for the long term ..i.e. you should not need that money during emergencies ..STAY AWAY from all day trading software !!! and if you cannot take losses (or are happy with normal returns) ...stay away from stocks (except for a small portfolio/ 401 etc) completely

>> ... I would definitely say ..stay away from day trading !!!
Depends on lot of factors. I have been trading for last 10 years. I don't trade stocks. I trade index futures sp500 and Nasdaq mini. It is short term - couple of hours to maximum couple of days. Day Trading requires good analytical skills for technical charts and lot of discipline to follow enter and exit rules.

Taxes are computed differently for futures trading. You will need this IRS form (6781 Gains and Losses From Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles) to file your taxes for trading futures.

>> ... STAY AWAY from all day trading software !!!
I agree. They are mostly snake oil. I suggest - do some reading and follow some indicators and come up with Trading Strategy. It is recommended to do paper trading before starting trading with real money.

>> ... if you cannot take losses (or are happy with normal returns) ...stay away from stocks (except for a small portfolio/ 401 etc) completely
Trading, of course, involves risks. I pick funds for my 401(k). So far it has been good. I was up last year 4.2%. Never had any losing year in 401(k).

There are many tools for technical charting. I use Ninja Trader since it allow to me define new indicators using c# (.net) language.

If anyone is interested, I put my daily charts here. Sorry, I can not disclose my indicators and I don't have anything to sell either.

I can share some trading books, if you are interested.

Disclaimer: Information use only and should not be constructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

indyanguy
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Can someone post the link to the chat room? I looked around but am unable to find it.

GC_Applicant
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Indian Guy, the link is
http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1#

But, I am not sure if Chintu is here to host it.,

indyanguy
01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Indian Guy, the link is
http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1#

But, I am not sure if Chintu is here to host it.,

It takes me to the homepage :(

GC_Applicant
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Click on the "Messenger" link on the left hand side in Immigrationvoice.org

chintu25
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Friends....I apologize for not being present yesterday but some pressing matters had to be taken care of .

We will schedule another Seminar on the weekend ..... Do post a convienent time / Day and we will finalize a common time

geesee
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I am not sure if someone ever mentioned triple leveraged ETFs like FAX, FAZ in finance, ERX, ERY in energy. They are good *if* you are sure hows the market will behave for the overall day. They are not for long term. But if traded correctly, can give 15-20% return. Very risky though! But still better than holding a single company stock. I would put a tight stop loss in place when trading these high risk ETFs.

chintu25
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Geese....Direxion does have a few good ones .....v volatile...Fun to watch.

abq_gc
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Need some advice regarding two stocks.

1) USO -- ETF for crude Oil. It is at about $29.00 but alst year in July it was about 120. IS it a good investment bet. I know I might have to hold it till summer of 2010.

2) HNSN -- Biomedical device maker. It is the next ISRG, as the reports indicate. They make the sensie robotic cartherer devices. No one else in the world does that. What do you guys think of this ? It is now at $4.50, at its peak it was about $37.00

Thanks for all the input.

abq_gc

GC_Applicant
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks for offering to help.

Can you explain how does Nasdaq mini or S&P futures differ from stock. My understanding is that technicals are same behind any asset class.

If you could share your charts and explain your strategy, it will be a great help to all of us.

Depends on lot of factors. I have been trading for last 10 years. I don't trade stocks. I trade index futures sp500 and Nasdaq mini. It is short term - couple of hours to maximum couple of days. Day Trading requires good analytical skills for technical charts and lot of discipline to follow enter and exit rules.

Taxes are computed differently for futures trading. You will need this IRS form (6781 Gains and Losses From Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles) to file your taxes for trading futures.

I agree. They are mostly snake oil. I suggest - do some reading and follow some indicators and come up with Trading Strategy. It is recommended to do paper trading before starting trading with real money.

>> ... if you cannot take losses (or are happy with normal returns) ...stay away from stocks (except for a small portfolio/ 401 etc) completely
Trading, of course, involves risks. I pick funds for my 401(k). So far it has been good. I was up last year 4.2%. Never had any losing year in 401(k).

There are many tools for technical charting. I use Ninja Trader since it allow to me define new indicators using c# (.net) language.

If anyone is interested, I put my daily charts here. Sorry, I can not disclose my indicators and I don't have anything to sell either.

Disclaimer: Information use only and should not be constructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

supernova
02-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Cam somebody please explain what ETF's are with a simple example; web definitions on it are too technical for me. Thanks

reedandbamboo
02-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Cam somebody please explain what ETF's are with a simple example; web definitions on it are too technical for me. Thanks

ETFs (simple definition) are a hybrid of mutual funds and stocks - they are similar to mutual funds in that they represent a basket of securities (for example stocks or bonds) but they trade like stocks (i.e. they can be bought and sold throughout the day and their quoted price changes as they are traded throughout the trading day .. mutual funds on the other hand are priced only once at the end of the trading day).

ETFs charge a management fee which tends to be lower than mutual fund fees.

For example, check out VWO (Vanguard Emerging Markets ETF)
Or FXI (China large-cap stocks ETF)

chintu25
02-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Supernova ,

Check out my blog entry for detail explanation for ETFs

chintu25
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Need some advice regarding two stocks.

1) USO -- ETF for crude Oil. It is at about $29.00 but alst year in July it was about 120. IS it a good investment bet. I know I might have to hold it till summer of 2010.

2) HNSN -- Biomedical device maker. It is the next ISRG, as the reports indicate. They make the sensie robotic cartherer devices. No one else in the world does that. What do you guys think of this ? It is now at $4.50, at its peak it was about $37.00

Thanks for all the input.

abq_gc

USO is a typical criude ETF like AIG Crude - SCO etc .....HSNS is another medical Miracle company ....can pull rabbits outta hats (But hey this is a day traders analysis ....Not an investors)

My investor side says there are other better(safer) longs for your money that this one.

abq_gc
02-08-2009, 01:20 AM
USO is a typical criude ETF like AIG Crude - SCO etc .....HSNS is another medical Miracle company ....can pull rabbits outta hats (But hey this is a day traders analysis ....Not an investors)

My investor side says there are other better(safer) longs for your money that this one.

hello Chintu,

If the Obama stimulus package passes, do you think the US steel sector will benefit from it ? If yes, then which companies do you think will gain the most. I think the " Buy American " clause will be there, so I guess it might just benefit the US companies. Which other sectors do you think might benefit from the Stimulus package ?

Thanks for all yur inputs.

abq_gc

snathan
02-08-2009, 01:56 AM

DO you mind to share what are all the funds or shares you are owning in your 401K

DO you mind to share what are all the funds or shares you are owning in your 401K

chintu25
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello Ivians,

Hope today wasnt too bad for yall in the market...Brace yourselves though since there is more to come......

Anyways Lets have another Chat session this week

Please suggest day / Time

21stIcon
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
>>

Disclaimer: Information use only and should [COLOR=Red]not be constructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

Desi,
How can you deposit 401Km money to Ninja Trader, Your employer might offer one of top asset management company not Ninja.

Could you let us know what was your trading capital on which you made 4.25% return last year...

sanju
02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I am surprised to find out that someone is still trading in the stock market. It seems CNN just reported that everyone who used to trade stocks have declared bankruptcy or were thrown in jail for running a ponzi scheme, so no one is left in the stock market. Great guys, you are still holding the fort and trading stocks to keep the hopes of humanity alive. 3 cheers for ya all!

desi3933
02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Desi,
How can you deposit 401Km money to Ninja Trader, Your employer might offer one of top asset management company not Ninja.

Could you let us know what was your trading capital on which you made 4.25% return last year...

You are mixing two things. Ninja is software for charting. It supports add-on indicators in c# language.

I use Ninja software for making trading decisions for my futures trading account. Also, it helps me making decision to enter and exit Index based funds for 401(k) and IRA accounts.

For futures trading, I use short term chart setups whereas I use long term setups for index direction.

Hope it helps.

desi3933
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Do you mind to share what are all the funds or shares you are owning in your 401K

Index based funds. Based on index direction, Enter/Exit rules are used.

desi3933
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for offering to help.

Can you explain how does Nasdaq mini or S&P futures differ from stock. My understanding is that technicals are same behind any asset class.

If you could share your charts and explain your strategy, it will be a great help to all of us.

E-mini S&P 500 Futures (http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/emini-sp500_FO.html)

Each points = $50. Example Sold short at 796 and bought at 788. 796-788 = 8 points and that means 8*50 = 400 dollars profit.

E-mini NASDAQ-100 Futures (http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/emini-nasdaq100.html)

Each point = $20.

>> If you could share your charts and explain your strategy
I can not share my strategy, however I can share my daily charts.

21stIcon
02-24-2009, 06:25 AM
desi3933 .
I sent P.M ,Please reply to that.

chi_shark
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM

etf is very much like a pool of money that is used to buy certain set of stocks and then that set of stocks itself is divided into many equally priced units and sold to you, me and who ever wants to buy. after the "units" are sold, there are no new contributions to the pool of money and the stock composition does not change (in most cases). the exception is that in some cases, when the etf's "set of stocks" is actually a representation of an index (e.g. the SPY etf tracks s&p500), if the index itself changes (so if s&p 500 gets a new stock in it and an old stock is removed) then the etf holdings may change. to do all this crap, the company that puts together the initial pool of money charges a management fee.

the closes relative of an etf is the closed ended mutual fund. the only difference is that there is active management of the fund throughout it's life to maximize returns (i.e. stocks are bought and sold). typically, to do this crap, companies (understandably) charge more management fee.

in investor's terms, if you want direct but diversified exposure to a specific sector or specific index or specific anything of the market, then ETFs are a great instrument!

desi3933
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Today's chart for SP&500 Mini (3 minute chart)

http://i39.tinypic.com/15gwhu9.jpg

Disclaimer: Information/Educational use only and should not be constructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

desi3933
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Updated chart for SP&500 Mini (3 minute chart)

http://i42.tinypic.com/11htlc1.jpg

Disclaimer: Information/Educational use only and should not be constructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

GC_Applicant
02-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks for sharing the charts.

Now I am really confused between going forward with stocks vs forex. I understand that forex is traded 24x7, wont they be helpfull if you can trade during the stock market hours. What is your thoughts??

E-mini S&P 500 Futures (http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/emini-sp500_FO.html)

Each points = $50. Example Sold short at 796 and bought at 788. 796-788 = 8 points and that means 8*50 = 400 dollars profit.

E-mini NASDAQ-100 Futures (http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/emini-nasdaq100.html)

Each point = $20.

solaris27
02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Can anyone tell us any good ETF's .

bitu72
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
those who use Ninja is it good for backtesting, how much does it cost.

i had stockfetcher , i want to discontinue it as not much time.

tradestation you need minimum transaction .

desi3933
02-25-2009, 12:38 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n1x1j4.jpg

Disclaimer: Information/Educational use only and should not be onstructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

GC_Applicant
02-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Is there a reason why you choose e-mini as opposed to etf's or stocks. BTW, I am not knowledgeable on e-mini. I couldn't even find the symbol in TdA. Looking at your chart, it seems you trade full time ??

Can you explain what are the three average that you have on the chart and theire durations

Disclaimer: Information/Educational use only and should not be onstructed as an offer to buy or sell any securities. Trading is very risky and is not for everyone.

mayhemt
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
i guess desi3933's chart has 7 Day EMA, 14 Day EMA, & 40 Day EMA (on closing prices) on indicators (based on annotations on top of charts).
You need not stick to desi3933 strategy, get well-educated first about markets (equities, options, futures, forex) & indicators (MACD, EMAs, Sto etc) and do some paper trading/virtual trading - like vse.marketwatch.com - and then you would need to come up with your own strategy based on your level of risk, time you can invest etc.
Again based on desi3933's risk level, he chose futures - based on your risk level you may stick to ETFs SPY (S&P), SDS (inverse S&P), SSO (Double S&P) or options on these ETFs.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Is there a reason why you choose e-mini as opposed to etf's or stocks. BTW, I am not knowledgeable on e-mini. I couldn't even find the symbol in TdA. Looking at your chart, it seems you trade full time ??

Can you explain what are the three average that you have on the chart and theire durations

pointlesswait
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
IFN and IIF... both india centric ETF's.. they are at their lowest
I dont think indian economic story is over..they will rise..

i have them and i am long.. they do pay dividends..

Can anyone tell us any good ETF's .

pointlesswait
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
without the story behind those charts..its is as good as a tissue paper.

typical baniya mentality..u want to hoard the wealth ..not share it..;-)

Each point = $20.

desi3933
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
i guess desi3933's chart has 7 Day EMA, 14 Day EMA, & 40 Day EMA (on closing prices) on indicators (based on annotations on top of charts).

The indicators are linked to MA, but they are not just moving averages.

Yellow dots are direction indicator and bars are painted red (down trend) or blue (up trend) using other indicator.

The green arrow indicates possible Up (Buy) scenario and red arrow indicates possible Down (Sell) scenario.

Eclipses indicate retracement levels that can possible resume long-term trend.

chintu25
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello All, Lets Meet tonight - Feb 26th 2009 at 9.00 PM EST on the IV Chat . We can have a general discussion about Trend following / ETFs and the market

Please confirm your attendance

chi_shark
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
without the story behind those charts..its is as good as a tissue paper.

i am not baniya... in fact i lament the fact that i am not a baniya... i am a pure bred brahmin with high education, my entire family is highly educated till my family tree can be traced... they are all people who did noble things for God, kings etc... but i am aspiring to be a big time baniya... this last century and present time is a capitalist period... baniyas rock! they rule! if i had wealth, i would never share it... i will simply find ways to make other people slightly happy so that they keep buying my products/services... hail baniyaism

GC_Applicant
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I will be there.,

Hello All, Lets Meet tonight - Feb 26th 2009 at 9.00 PM EST on the IV Chat . We can have a general discussion about Trend following / ETFs and the market

Please confirm your attendance

desi3933
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM
charts are useless without the story behind those charts..its is as good as a tissue paper.

I guess, then there is no need to put chart for today.

Also, would you mind sharing how I am "hoarding the wealth"?

Thank You.

vactorboy29
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
i am not baniya... in fact i lament the fact that i am not a baniya... i am a pure bred brahmin with high education, my entire family is highly educated till my family tree can be traced... they are all people who did noble things for God, kings etc... but i am aspiring to be a big time baniya... this last century and present time is a capitalist period... baniyas rock! they rule! if i had wealth, i would never share it... i will simply find ways to make other people slightly happy so that they keep buying my products/services... hail baniyaism

Baniya's are most generous people in India .Go look for any tample trust or other charitable organisation.Yes they are business minded people.
Disclaimer - I am "Baniya"

chi_shark
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Baniya's are most generous people in India .Go look for any tample trust or other charitable organisation.Yes they are business minded people.
Disclaimer - I am "Baniya"

but that does not incriminate nor absolve baniyas... anyhow, i think all i said was that i like baniyas...

mayhemt
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry I must be mistaken - I thought this was a ETF/stock discussing thread. But found that this thread changed into something for bunch for 5-year-old girls discussing merits, demerits of certain sectarian groups.

Anyway, If this really is stocks' discussing thread - I personally like dealing with regular, double triple ETFs. I played with options once, but they are risky for me. YMMV.

reedandbamboo
06-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Can Indian citizens in India access the US stock markets? What brokers offer this? Is there a limit to the amount one can have invested in US securities? Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!