PDA

View Full Version : If EB Reform happens it will happen in 2007

nozerd
11-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Do you agree with this statement

If Employment Based Immigration Reform happens, it will happen in Calander year 2007. This reform could be in any form CIR or SKIL. If there is no reform by January 2008 its not gonna happen.

Thanks

Tito_ortiz
11-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Hmmm...

In my view I would say that it has more chances to go through between Jan 2007 and August 2007. After that, it is poticial campaign all over again.

That is just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Tito

If Employment Based Immigration Reform happens, it will happen in Calander year 2007. This reform could be in any form CIR or SKIL. IUf there is no reform by January 2008 its not gonna happen.

Thanks

fromnaija
11-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Hmmm...

In my view I would say that it has more chances to go through between Jan 2007 and August 2007. After that, it is poticial campaign all over again.

That is just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Tito

You are right! I also do not think anything will get passed until 2007. SKILL or CIR will only get passed in the January to August 2007 timeframe. By 2008, focus will be on the Presidential election.

WillIBLucky
11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes, 2007 will be the best chance we would have. After that its all political stunt as we saw this year before elections.

I sincerely hope I am wrong in this assumption.

mrajatish
11-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I think this is absolutely true - infact, I have given myself till 2007 end for that specific reason. If nothing changes by 2007 June/July, I will start looking at Australia, Canada, UK and India (most likely I will go back to India).

I might come back when this country changes, and believe me, it will change, esp. when people from baby-boomer generation retires.

485Mbe4001
11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
if EB reform is discussed as a part of CIR in 2007, i am sure it will be 2008 by the time they start implementing it and 2009 by the time you will see any tangible benefits from it. CIR is not something that will be discussed and approved in a month. After CIR is approved (thats big if) it will take a few months for CIS to come up with the guidelines and prepare itself to handle the increased work load. Look for substantial delays.
IMO, Our best hope is if EB relief is picked up earlier and approved on its own before they talk about CIR.

If Employment Based Immigration Reform happens, it will happen in Calander year 2007. This reform could be in any form CIR or SKIL. If there is no reform by January 2008 its not gonna happen.

Thanks

WillIBLucky
11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
if EB reform is discussed as a part of CIR in 2007, i am sure it will be 2008 by the time they start implementing it and 2009 by the time you will see any tangible benefits from it. CIR is not something that will be discussed and approved in a month. After CIR is approved (thats big if) it will take a few months for CIS to come up with the guidelines and prepare itself to handle the increased work load. Look for substantial delays.
IMO, Our best hope is if EB relief is picked up earlier and approved on its own before they talk about CIR.
SKIL is the best bet for us. Hopefully we will see it being discussed soon in Senate.

Canadian_Dream
11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Thread: If EB Reform happens it will happen in 2007
We should instead call it "When will EB Reform Happen"

1. The best time was 2006. This was becasue of economy with full swing ahead needed more H1B visas and companies are trying hard to resolve the black-out of H1B and we had a chance to piggyback on it. This didn't happen unfortulately because our fate was tied to CIR. There has been constant effort since Aug/Sep 2005 to increase H1B/EB (S.1932/CIR), but it has been strongest in last few months.

2. If you have noticed the press release of TechNet summit it was clearly requesting 109th congress to enact SKIL as opposed to 110 congress. This is becasue first few months will go by just to take care of other priorities. There could be other legilative hurdles with CIR even with Democratic majority.

3. As pointed by others even if CIR is passed with our provisions it will be another 5-6 months before actual implementation will happen. That puts eveything in 2008 time frame.

The biggest toll order in this whole mess is EB2 India. While most of the world including China is moving along quite well. India EB2 is all but stuck affecting the careers of so many who would be stuck for another 1-2 years with the same jobs. The sad part is this is the best case scenario !!!!

willgetgc2005
11-17-2006, 02:23 PM
And you are betting that EB will be in CIR. May or maynot be the case.
CIR may just have H1 B .

Seems bleak.SKILL is the best bet. Politically, they will want CIR to linger on so they can bicker......

fullerene
11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
H1 application for 2008 starts from April 1, 2007. I believe-before that date, HR of big companies should have recruiting policy for the year already. So it might be diffult for them to adjust if the bill is passed after April 1.
I think when the time closes to April 1, the petition for changing the current H1 blackout will be pressurized. From the industry point of view, the bill for H1 will be settled luckily in Jan or Feb.

gc2005
11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
SKIL is the best bet for us. Hopefully we will see it being discussed soon in Senate.
I agree, SKIL is the best bet for us. There are chances of something happenning before Oct 2007 because of no H1B visa numbers being available unitl then. I don't think it has been that bad situation with H1B until now.

nat23
11-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm aware of the fact the SKIL Bill has been introduced both in the House and the Senate but it has been coupled with the CIR in the Senate.

If the CIR dies or is pushed out till 2009, what are the chances of SKIL bill being taken up for discussion?

If you look at the priority dates , they are moving along quite smoothly for rest of the world except India.

This scenario concerns me.

When people say the immigration system is broken they mean illegal immigrants. Only a few who understand and know the immigration system closely know that its broken with respect to legal immigrants also.

gc2005
11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
That brings up a good point, why do you think all the PDs are moving except India?
Is there really that many applicants from India than China

WillIBLucky
11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
That brings up a good point, why do you think all the PDs are moving except India?
Is there really that many applicants from India than China
The problem is even CIS layed off many people since 2004 and now are left with few people to work on. The left out people are not "like Indians in USA" kind of people.

And further more they cannot offshore processing to India as well. So what do they do......hmm lets retrogress Indians. Its working for them.