PDA

View Full Version : What stage are reference letters required?

want_a_gc
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
I am just beginning. Right now my application is being prepared and attorneys have gotten JD and have sent it to the DOL for PWD. When the PWD comes back, when do they need the reference letters? BTW how long is the PWD taking right now?

Thx.

hsd31
08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Reference letters are needed in the I-140 stage. Right now all PWD are on hold except H2B PWD. See this: MurthyDotCom : DOL Not Issuing Prevailing Wages: PERM Delays (http://www.murthy.com/news/n_dolpwd.html)

sac-r-ten
08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
@want_a_gc, if you are not nearing the end of 5th yr on H1b then the PWD is not a worry for you. No harm in preparing for reference letters, experience letters from former employer.

Be sure you have the skills mentioned on the labor reflect on the experience letters from your former employers. that is very important for approval of 140. USCIS had rejected my Eb2 on that basis and i had to start my eb3 in the last few months of my 6th year term. lucky to have labor, 140 approval and h1b extension just about 1 month before my end of H1b. otherwise i wouldn't have been writing this response :)

good luck buddy.

pd052011
08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
My company didn't even begin the PERM process without all the reference letters in my file. Some firms are really meticulous and for good reason.

ivchicago
08-23-2011, 10:56 AM
My company didn't even begin the PERM process without all the reference letters in my file. Some firms are really meticulous and for good reason.

Same here. Get ALL of the REQUIRED letters first. Having gone through some shady/inexperienced lawyers in the past, my current law firm [on my company's payroll] have been superb so far. All evidence including that required for a possible audit was gathered first and then EB2 was applied for. There was no issue with any step.

want_a_gc
08-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you all. I am attempting to get reference letters from my previous employers / professors. I am not sure if the lawyers working on my case will file the PERM without the reference letters in hand. It's a painful process especially when people just dont respond to your requests!

AndherNagri
08-23-2011, 06:12 PM
If you are planning EB2, try to get "progressive experience" language in experience letters.
They want to make sure that it is 5 years experience, not 1 year experience five times.

Examples

You were handling programs with technology A when started, but were doing programs with technology A AND B.

Similar language can be for no of users, complexity, scalability, program/module/project etc.

want_a_gc
08-24-2011, 02:18 AM
AndherNagri, I am actually filing on the basis of my Masters. Although I have 1.5 yrs worth of experience it's of no use. Despite that I am getting a 'progressive experience' letter because I need it to prove the skills listed on the JD.