PDA

View Full Version : q's on Canadian PR ( greencard) while my I-140 is approved

namjoshi
08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
hello fellow friends

My PD is Dec 2008 under Eb2 with I-140 approved & I was thinking of applying for Canadian PR (green card)

My q's
1) Can I apply for Canadian PR while my US GC procedure is in progress with I-140 approved ?
Are there any catches we all should know about ?

2) Did anyone use a lawyer to file for Canadian PR and would like to recommend on a good 1 ?

3) If my Canadian PR gets approved, how do I accept it and still maintain US GC procedure in progress ? Is it viable ?

last
4) Any other questions or point of views I am missing (any suggestions that I should be aware of)

Thanks a bunch.

atlgc
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
see my answers below

hello fellow friends

My PD is Dec 2008 under Eb2 with I-140 approved & I was thinking of applying for Canadian PR (green card)

My q's
1) Can I apply for Canadian PR while my US GC procedure is in progress with I-140 approved ?

** yes you can,they are two different countires and different immigration rules **
Are there any catches we all should know about ?
** none **
2) Did anyone use a lawyer to file for Canadian PR and would like to recommend on a good 1 ?
** i filed my self back in 2004 , one cannot advise what you have to do

3) If my Canadian PR gets approved, how do I accept it and still maintain US GC procedure in progress ? Is it viable ?

** No **
** like US GC ,if you don't stay in that country , you loose it ***last
4) Any other questions or point of views I am missing (any suggestions that I should be aware of)

Thanks a bunch.

namjoshi
08-23-2011, 02:17 PM
If my Canadian PR gets approved and if I accept it and will I still be able to maintain my US GC procedure that is in progress ? ?

thomachan72
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Canadian GC application, approval and acceptance has nothing to do with your US GC application process. Usually for cases which easily meet the immig requirements you dont need to use an attorney. Once you accept the canadian GC you have to live continuously for a period of 2 years within 5 years of reciept of the GC to maintain the GC. In other words you could potentially live outside for little less than 3 years continuously and then start living continously in canada for the next 2 years. Those with canadian GC could provide more information. I am not sure whether you would be required to file the tax returns in canada also?

nj_03_2004
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
If my Canadian PR gets approved and if I accept it and will I still be able to maintain my US GC procedure that is in progress ? ?

In my opinion, Canadian PR should not affect your GC process but you cannot have both at same time. US immigration may ask you to cancel your Canadian PR.

jsd123
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Your US GC "Process" has nothing to do with the Canadian PR. Remember that US Green Card Process is for future employment. Once (if) you get Canadian PR you are obligated to satisfy Canadian PR residency requirements. As long as your current sponsor does revoke I-140 you can live anywhere in the world including Canada and come back to work in US once your date is current. Hope that answers your question.