PDA

View Full Version : Starting a company

ras
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I am on H1 B and hold a 2 year EAD ( which am not using right now) and 485 is pending more than 1 year. And am single tooo..

I have a cousin of mine (a citizen) interested in starting the business with me. Obviously I would want to control the business direction and everything in it as am the business product owner. However, am concerned as to signing as a partner because of future issues that may pop during green card adjudication.

I want to know the risks and benefits of being a partner in starting a company both on current H1 and my pending 485.

Appreciate any suggestions about what I need to think before jumping on to this bandwagon.

Please let me know if any legal things or partnership issues I need to take care of before getting into the business.

ras
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Folks need some suggestion on starting a business and becoming a partner in the situation above.

newbie2020
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
You can Start a business as a partnership which should be fine. if you are working with your cousin who is USC then i dont think it should be an issue.

chi_shark
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
in your case you can do any type of employment as long as you have an offer of continued employment in the same or similar job when your green card is being adjudicated. in my opinion, it is best to be actually working in a same or similar occupation with a reputable large company when your gc is up for adjudication. on the side, you can do ANYTHING...

oh, make sure you are making your living on the same or similar job. i.e. dont start a business that makes more than 5 to 10% of your income. thats just my opinion based on a discussion with my lawyer. this is because you dont want the USCIS to say that your primary job is not the same or similar job but is actually your business job and hence you fail the test for ac21..

I am on H1 B and hold a 2 year EAD ( which am not using right now) and 485 is pending more than 1 year. And am single tooo..

I have a cousin of mine (a citizen) interested in starting the business with me. Obviously I would want to control the business direction and everything in it as am the business product owner. However, am concerned as to signing as a partner because of future issues that may pop during green card adjudication.

I want to know the risks and benefits of being a partner in starting a company both on current H1 and my pending 485.

Appreciate any suggestions about what I need to think before jumping on to this bandwagon.

Please let me know if any legal things or partnership issues I need to take care of before getting into the business.