PDA

View Full Version : Send Email to CBS 60 minutes

shukla77
11-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Please send emails to CBS 60 Minutes and other media sources. Send them personalized emails explaining backlog issues and efforts from IV. Considering passage of SKIL Bill in lame duck session a remote possibility, this would be a step in right direction. Also it would bring IV in media focus.

****So far ~10 people have sent emails to CBS..*****
****5990 to go..*****

Good Luck

Shukla77:)

qplearn
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
The email id for 60 minutes is:

60m@cbsnews.com

After sending email, put a post here so we know how many emails have gone.

lavanyamohan
11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
message sent to CBS60 minutes...

genius
11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Should we mail paulmcd@cmp.com (Paul McDougall )of information Week.

See: http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194700008&subSection=All+Stories

CADude
11-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I sent too..

message sent to CBS60 minutes...

pappu
11-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Should we mail paulmcd@cmp.com (Paul McDougall )of information Week.

See: http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194700008&subSection=All+Stories
sure. send it.
The article says---
"A lobby group backed by IBM, Microsoft, Intel, and other tech industry giants is urging Congress to pass a new research and development tax credit and increase the supply of H1-B immigrant visas before the current session adjourns."

H1B visa is not an immigrant visa. It is a non immigrant visa. Everybody confuses H1B visa as the immigrant high skilled visas (Gcs). Moreover this article has no mention of greencards.

Gcs are not part of their agenda as per their website-- http://www.itaa.org/policy/immigration/

We will be neglected and our voice will not be heard if we dont do anything. IV core is working hard but they cannot do it alone without the help from each and every member. Each IV member is important to our success. We cannot afford to leave it to others to do it for us. The collective muscle of our efforts will create miracles for us. I see from a total of 450+ members that logged in yesterday only 12 people sent emails to 60 min. This kind of response to calls for action will not help our cause. Same goes for the state chapters. How many of us have actually gone to the state chapter thread and signed up? Pls. ask this yourself before posting new messages on the forum.

cagedcactus
11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes pappu, you are right.
I just sent the email explaining the proper differences between H-1B and Immigration catagories.

nat23
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Email sent.....

sr123
11-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Semt email.

cgs
11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
just sent a mail to cbs.

arunkotte
11-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Done!! Sent an email to 60m.

panday
11-21-2006, 10:44 AM
HI everybody,
I hope we get some response form this. One can only hope. Ihave done my part and lets hope others follow on our example.

Vysh
11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Sent an email

jonty_11
11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Sent email to 60m

jonty_11
11-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I am a bit concerned that the debate has now been confined to H1B increase. I am not against that. but our cause seems to be slowly getting gropped from the tech lobby;s jargon. We may end up only seeing H1B relief in the Lame Duck session

arunmohan
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Sent.

justAnotherFile
11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
See body of email below....

Hi,

I would like your highly successful program to do a show on the "Plight of Legal High-Skilled Immigrants". The plight of legal immigants has been lost in all the noise and focus on illegal immigration. There are about 500K legal high-skilled immigrants from around the world who are presently working in the US legally on a temporary work visa issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and in the queue for a permanent resident card also known as Green Card (GC).

There are only 140K GCs given per year for all employment based categories and the employer who sponsors the immigrant has to prove that the job cannot be filled by an American Citizen through a lbour market test. The 140K number is also used to count the spouse and children of the high skilled immigrant. So in essence there are only about 60K high skilled immigrants given a GC each year. Also there is a per country limit of 7%, so only about 5000 GCs are given to high-skilled geal immigrants from each country. This has lead to a huge backlog in GCs especially from countries which send may high-skilled immigrants like China and India. To make matters worse the Congress authorized about 250K illegal aliens a one time waiver to adjust status in the year 2000 and those numbers come out of the regular 140K per year granted to legal high-skilled immigrants.

All this has resulted in a expected wait of "8-12 years" for getting a GC for a "Play-By The Rules" legal high-skilled immigrant. Add another % years after that to get US Citizenship. Seeing these kind of numbers many talented young engineers , scientists and doctors are moving to other countries in droves. No one would like a wait for 15 years to become a naturalized citizen. America is losing a lot due to this Retrogression (Backlog) in GCs, especially when there is a global competition for Talent. The only ones who have patience to stick on is those who have already been in the waiting game for
years and have a lot at stake to leave it at this stage. And for those that chose to wait in this manner life is hell. For 7-10 years they cannot change jobs, cannot get promoted or even change job roles within the same company, cannot get transferred to a different location in same company. Any of these events will mean starting in line all over again. Also their spouses cannot work and they cannot buy homes or make other investment decisions due to the uncertainity, many who have kids in college have to pay higher tution.

I am one of these stuck in this GC hell for the last 9 years, I came to the United States as a student in 1995 to pursue graduate studies in Engineering in a top-ranked university. I have been employed legally in the US since I graduated in 1997 and been pursuing the GC dream for the last 9 years. The end is not in sight and if Congress does not pass any relief I expect the wait to last at least another 5 years.

What does it take for congress to pass some relief? Just some simple relief measures
1. Increase the numbers of GCs to 250K per year temporarily for 2-3 years to alleviate the current problem.
2. Allow to recover unused GC numbers from previous 5 years to be used to alleviate the current retrogression.
3. Do not count spouse and dependents towards the annual number
4. Do not count against the annual cap count certain high-skilled immigrants who have a advanced degree from the US and have worked in a high-skilled job legally in the United states for 3 years .

60 minutes is a highly regarded program that brings to focus issues that impact adversely law-abiding people and issues that impact America as a nation. I would request you to air a program on the plight of legal high-skilled immigrants to bring this highly important issue to national focus.

regds,
xxxxxx

the_jaguar
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
A suggestion to folks sending emails:

Please keep the first email precise and compact (typically one paragraph). If it is longer, most people will not take the time to read through it, and some of the important/hard hitting points might never be read.

While immigration is a very close and dear issue for us folks, we should not expect the rest of the country including the media to feel the same way. Hence, small & precise emails have the most impact..

If they respond to our email, then it makes sense to send them a detailed response detailing the issues legal, high skilled immigrants currently face..

Just my $0.02..

meg_z
11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
A friendly reminder: please do grammer and spelling checks before sending. Thanks.

ArunAntonio
11-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I have just emailed CBS and highlighted the plight of the likes of us. I also made it a point to differnetiate the H1b issue and our issue.

On another note I wanted to mention that .. We have to take active part in this struggle .. it is out struggle and we need to be at the fore front.... all we are asking for is ..........*FREEDOM*