PDA

View Full Version : Employer wants to cancel my wife's H1-B

rxsimha
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

My wife came to the US by H4 (Since I am on H1-B) 3 years ago.
She got her H1-B aproved in 2007, but was unable to work for a year since she got pregnant and had to take care of the kid.
She got her EAD along with me during November 2007.
She started working in August 2008(Using her H1-B). She finished one project which lasted for 4 months. She is looking for a new job now from 1 month and has no luck yet
She has been out of project for a little over a month now.
Now her employer wants to cancel her H1-B, as it is afraid that there can be an audit and it might be a risk for them as well as her, as she is without a job now.
They tell her to start using her EAD.
I am confused....
Can you please guide me what path I should take.

Appreciate your valuble inputs.

Thanks
rxsimha

snathan
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi all,

She got her H1-B aproved in 2007, but was unable to work for a year since she got pregnant and had to take care of the kid.
She started working in August 2008(Using her H1-B). She finished one project which lasted for 4 months. She is looking for a new job now from 1 month and has no luck yet
Now her employer wants to cancel her H1-B, as it is afraid that there can be an audit and it might be a risk for them as well as her, as she is without a job now.
I am confused....

Thanks
rxsimha

If you are in a stable job and got EAD...whats the problem using the EAD. Her employer might be right. If your wife is not getting paid in H1B, theemployer would get into trouble if there is any audit.

rxsimha
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
If you are in a stable job and got EAD...whats the problem using the EAD. Her employer might be right. If your wife is not getting paid in H1B, theemployer would get into trouble if there is any audit.

Thanks for the reply.
But I am currently using H1-B. That is, I have not started using my EAD yet.
Should is be a problem?
And in this economy I don't feel my job is very stable.

scorpion
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Two options
(1) Change your wife's status to H4
(2) Let her use EAD

I don't think you can stop Employer.

rxsimha
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Two options
(2) Let her use EAD

Is changing the status to H4 mandatory?
Can she not just start using EAD?

Can she not remain without job and still maintain H1-B Status?
As per below link
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a62bec897643f010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCR D&vgnextchannel=1847c9ee2f82b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

Thanks for your reply.

nousername
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't see a problem with it.. In fact that is a better way to do it i.e. move to EAD.

Currently your wife is on H1B and the day she starts working on EAD her status will automatically change to AOC.. This won't affect your H1B in anyway. In fact my wife did the other way around i.e. stated with EAD and then the company applied for her H1B..

I hope this helps.

Hi all,

I am confused....

Thanks
rxsimha

scorpion
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

As per below link
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a62bec897643f010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCR D&vgnextchannel=1847c9ee2f82b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think she can do that legally. I think being on H1b status without work is more of an issue for an Employer.....Employer is bound to pay minimum prevailing wage to H1b worker according to her H1b petition, that may be the reason why they want to cancel her H1. If they do that than she has to transfer to some other status(H4 or EAD).......One more thing, Use of EAD invalidate H status.

jsb
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think she can do that legally. I think being on H1b status without work is more of an issue for an Employer.....Employer is bound to pay minimum prevailing wage to H1b worker according to her H1b petition, that may be the reason why they want to cancel her H1. If they do that than she has to transfer to some other status(H4 or EAD).......One more thing, Use of EAD invalidate H status.

What is the issue here with using EAD? An EAD tells that your AOS is in processing, and in the meantime you get privileges of a a GC holder, which means you work (or don't work) with any employer using EAD.

desi3933
02-13-2009, 12:08 PM

As per below link

Thanks for your reply.

What is your explanation for this "unpaid leave" (aka bench)?

Please note that an employer is in violation of the LCA requirement at Sec. 1182(n)(1)(A) for placing an H-1B nonimmigrant in unpaid nonproductive status due to a decision by the employer based upon factors such as lack of work. The prohibition against unpaid nonproductive status does not apply to nonproductive time due to non-work related to factors such as a voluntary request by the nonimmigrant for an absence (e.g., unpaid home leave on holiday), or circumstances rendering the nonimmigrant unable to work (Example - Medical incapacity, caring for sick relative, vacations).

pbojja
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM

As per below link

Thanks for your reply.

Check this link and do not apply H1Bs just so you think they can find a job ..its not legal to stay on H1B and not getting paid

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/11arrestedmultivisafraud02feb09.pdf

rxsimha
02-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks everybody for all the information.
Can you please clarify these doubt for me -

1. If my wife begins to work with her EAD, does she have to change her H1 to H4 ?
2. If she finds a contract job, what are her options to work - W2/1099 ?
3. Can we open a company on her name and can she work through?

reddog
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks everybody for all the information.
Can you please clarify these doubt for me -

1. If my wife begins to work with her EAD, does she have to change her H1 to H4 ?

Why am I suddenly finding lots and lots of junior members asking extremely naive questions and asking for help or solutions or suggestions to bring them out of their illegal troubles?
rx, you are here in the US for atleast 3 years, and you are telling us, you dont know a single friend who is able to tell you that staying on bench is illegal?
that you had to ask this question on IV, dont you have a lawyer you can call?
did you call your employer, what did he say?

A: If she finds work, how can she change her status to H4, and why? H4 is a dependent visa.
A: 1099 can jeopardize her AOS status, google it, please.
A: Open a company and hire every illegal mexican, they too need a legal status to stay in the country. Or are you suggesting that you open a company and hire her and let her cook food for you and tend your children on an H1b filed thru her husband, Yes, you are absolutely doing the right thing. Go ahead, do it, and by the way, you wil have to spend atleast 10 years in a maximum security prison for that.

immigc06
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
If the H1 is cancelled she has to move to either H4(cant work) or EAD(AOS). Since she has EAD its better to use it while the status is pending as AOS. I dont see any issues except that H1B wont be valid anymore which is OK as she has EAD. I know atleast two of my friends wife's who started using EAD due to contract issues or clients not accepting middle layers etc. although they had H1B.

ashkam
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Short answer : The moment her employer cancels her H1B, she will automatically transition into AOS status. By the way, there is no such thing as "being on EAD status", as opposed to H4 status. EAD only allows a person in AOS status to work. You don't actually need an EAD to be in status.

reddymjm
02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Two options
(2) Let her use EAD

Option 1 is dumb. Just use EAD.

pbojja
02-13-2009, 03:22 PM

How is she going to use EAD with out a job ?

pbojja
02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Why am I suddenly finding lots and lots of junior members asking extremely naive questions and asking for help or solutions or suggestions to bring them out of their illegal troubles?
rx, you are here in the US for atleast 3 years, and you are telling us, you dont know a single friend who is able to tell you that staying on bench is illegal?
that you had to ask this question on IV, dont you have a lawyer you can call?
did you call your employer, what did he say?
Did you coming here with your questions, expect us to ask you to go to canada and enter illegally, so that no one knows you are here.

nyways, enuf of my rants, :

A: If she finds work, how can she change her status to H4, and why? H4 is a dependent visa. Please tell me you dont know that, i want to hear it.
A: 1099 can jeopardize her AOS status, google it, please.
A: Open a company and hire every illegal mexican, they too need a legal status to stay in the country. Or are you suggesting that you open a company and hire her and let her cook food for you and tend your children on an H1b filed thru her husband, Yes, you are absolutely doing the right thing. Go ahead, do it, and by the way, you wil have to spend atleast 10 years in a maximum security prison for that.

I second that ..every one applied H1 for theirs wifes thinking she kind find a job eventually and not understanding the implications of H1 laws ...

pariraj
02-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Could you please elaborate why option 1 is dumb? What if the husband's AOS is reject for some reason. Won't the wife be left without any status? Whereas if she already has H4 then she won't be out of status just like the husband as he has H1-B. Correct me if I am wrong.

rxsimha
02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Apologize if my questions sounded naive/dumb.
From what I gather
1. Start using EAD (pariraj has a good question though)
2. W2 is the only option for my wife, if she starts working using EAD.

sathweb
02-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Could you please elaborate why option 1 is dumb? What if the husband's AOS is reject for some reason. Won't the wife be left without any status? Whereas if she already has H4 then she won't be out of status just like the husband as he has H1-B. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes it is risky to use EAD, but it is the best available solution.

If AOS gets rejected, wife loses EAD. She must find some other legal status; in this case it is H4. As husband is on H1B, she can apply for H4 without problem. Instead of applying for H4 now, just use EAD and hope for the best.

The downfall to using EAD now is that, if AOS is rejected, wife must go to home country and reenter on H4.
Look at the bright side, EAD don't have any restrictions on what job she can do.

reddog
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
replies in blue.

Apologize if my questions sounded naive/dumb.
From what I gather
1. Start using EAD (pariraj has a good question though)
A: Until she finds a job, she is on AOS, once she finds a job, she is working on an EAD.
2. W2 is the only option for my wife, if she starts working using EAD.
A: She can work on 1099, but a green card is always filed for a future permanent employment. However, in this case, its a derivative applicant that we are talking about, so she should be OK working as an independent contractor and paid as one.

rxsimha
02-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all your valuable answers.
I will not do the H1 to H4 as you all suggested.

P.S. Clarification just in case I transfer her visa from H1 to H4, It will not invalidate her EAD right?

sathweb
02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your valuable answers.
I will not do the H1 to H4 as you all suggested.

P.S. Clarification just in case I transfer her visa from H1 to H4, It will not invalidate her EAD right?

As i know, EAD is invalid after expiration date on the card or when your AOS is denied. So, you are good to go.