PDA

View Full Version : Is being born in China and India a sin.

vincepr
02-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Is being born in China and India a sin. This discrimination on the basis of country of origin is similar to racial discrimination and very not in line with american principles.

Because of immigration backlog many of our Chinese and Indian friends have rely to on H1-B extension after 6 years. There is no H1 portability during this time. Isn't this modern day bonded labour again something not expected from america.

Its time to fight for the end of this discrimination so that hard working people of India and China are treated fairly in the immigration process. Lets make lawmakers and US citizens aware of the current discriminatory laws and the hardship caused by them.

sidbee
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Is being born in China and India a sin. This discrimination on the basis of country of origin is similar to racial discrimination and very not in line with american principles.

Because of immigration backlog many of our Chinese and Indian friends have rely to on H1-B extension after 6 years. There is no H1 portability during this time. Isn't this modern day bonded labour again something not expected from america.

Its time to fight for the end of this discrimination so that hard working people of India and China are treated fairly in the immigration process. Lets make lawmakers and US citizens aware of the current discriminatory laws and the hardship caused by them.

Whats is this??? I am still wondering..

This is not discrimination ,its a simple quota..

If you are from India, Did you ever said that it was a sin to be born in the general category, because there are reservations for SC/ST...nooo

So why this..

polapragada
02-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I can wait as long as it requires .. or Quit GC

But I love the place I born and proud of it....

sledge_hammer
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
A lousy subject line!

I have already spent 2 minutes typing this and I do not want to waste any more time trying to make you understand why your post is absurd and makes no sense.

Maybe someone else here will be able to elaborate.

cheers!

niklshah
02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

so whats the plan bro?????

RDB
02-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Dude, how is it bonded labor?????? Nobody has forced you to stay in this country - you are free to take a flight back to your home country today :)

You are in this wait for your own cause, so don't try to shift the blame to the system!

addsf345
02-21-2009, 02:09 PM

most ppl will try to insult you and try to shut you off coz even though they are suffering from this unfair country quota in skilled immigration category, they still want to live in state of denial. (If they are not suffering, most will not be here reading this post) They don't believe in themselves and in their community. The H1B community has no back bone, can't stand straight, is very scared and is not united.

When a community is ready to accept exploitation, justifies the injustice themselves and don't have any self-respect or confidence, what can you expect from such a community? (I am sure that law is not intended to do anyone any sort of injustice, I believe in american values, democracy and civil liberty. What frustrates me is that our own community does not want to discuss anything that we may think is not fair or have turned out to be something different than it may be originally thought of. why can't we atleast request to change quota propotionate to population of certain country instead of one size fits all approach? it is upto policy makers if they like what we request, but not making such request is not their fault. They have their own problems to resolve, and may not be even aware that what is going on with us.)

There are some smart among us, but they want to concentrate on how to get a stable job and get gc as much fast as they can, while cutting others from the line if possible. (nothing worng personally, I guess) I haven't seen anything other than IV who stood for us in last so many years. We are cowards and cowards can't achieve anything. Yes, I do think that being born in certain country can not be justified for years of misery and injustice, but hey that is just me, who cares! The world is not perfect. Life is not fair. One more reminder.

hmm.. found a nostalgic thread with similar discussion: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21297

ganguteli
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM

You created a new profile just to post this?
Are you so ashamed to express your views?

If you think being born in your motherland is a sin just because it happens to be India and China, why dont you blame your parents. Maybe being born out of your parents is also sin because they are Indians/Chinese. Maybe you should have been born out of some US citizen?
You need to purify yourself now. Go and drink lot of water from Ganges so that in your next birth you are born in USA and get your US citizenship
What a stupid thread.

eb3_nepa
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Let us put it this way. Being born in India and/or China is no sin whatsoever. However being born in India/China and applying for a Green Card in the US, can be called a "sin" of sorts.

Brother, this is a LONNNGGGGG standing debate/argument/grievance from people from India/China and I am one of them.

sledge_hammer
02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Couldn't have said it better! Loved it!!!!!

And then there is 'kumar1' who wants to be the champion/supporter of all nonsense threads and issues on this forum.

You created a new profile just to post this?
Are you so ashamed to express your views?

If you think being born in your motherland is a sin just because it happens to be India and China, why dont you blame your parents. Maybe being born out of your parents is also sin because they are Indians/Chinese. Maybe you should have been born out of some US citizen?
You need to purify yourself now. Go and drink lot of water from Ganges so that in your next birth you are born in USA and get your US citizenship
What a stupid thread.

ganguteli
02-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Couldn't have said it better! Loved it!!!!!

And then there is 'kumar1' who wants to be the champion/supporter of all nonsense threads and issues on this forum.

Thanks Buddy.
An update in the dates of your profile will be appreciated

angelfire76
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM
We can't choose the country we are born in, just like we can't choose our parents.
We can't choose as to why there's lot more demand than supply for these 2 countries and why CIS or the US govt. is applying FB quota rules to EB.

What we can do however is

1. Protest in a non-violent way and hope to get our voices heard
2. Protest in a violent way and be debarred from ever getting a green card. Hey you still made your point right. Any volunteers?
3. Tough it out. Swallow your pride and wait for that elusive card ( in addition to the several pieces of plastic you already have in your wallet called credit/debit cards, DLs etc.)
4. Give the country and it's lawmakers the bird and move to another one which is more welcoming. Now nobody wants to do that, lest your spot is taken by another and he/she "will enjoy"

The visa portability is wrong. You can still transfer your visa to another employer once you are in your visa extension.

stuckinmuck
02-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Friends, I have been extremely uncomfortable with this forum in general. The tone of most of our members is extremely arrogant and unfriendly. Even if someone posts such threads, why can't we empathize with them and keep a civil tone? Does it take too much effort to do that? We are not helping India and its image by such a tone. It's extremely sad to see the replies to this post. We have been living in America so long but haven't learned anything from their amicable and friendly demeanor. Please take this feedback in the right spirit. "Slumdog Millionaire" has done quite a bit for our image already, don't you think (Note: sarcasm alert).

To the OP, what I have learned from the GC experience so far is that we need to try our best to be eligible for the EB1 category. After all, it is the first preference for America because that's the real cream of the world that they want. And I believe it cannot be misused by 'desi' bodyshoppers since you need to show 'real' credentials. So try for that and I think you'll get your GC soon enough. I have contributed to this website but am also looking at all possible options to use my potential to get out of the EB3 category. Hope this helps.

I also believe the 'sin' is that our population increase has been out of control and that creates a huge logjam wherever we go.

anvarsha
02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Dude. you are giving too much value for the green card or citizenship or being in US. It is true that I am in US too. would feel bad if i need to leave only because of the financial loss of dropping all meterials i posess here and restarting life again.

But other than that, it is no big deal! Dude. there is life beyond getting / not getting a green card.

21stIcon
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
If you born in poor/developing countries it's not your mistake, But if you die without doing anything for your motherland then you are sinister.

Ask yourself what you did for your country not what country did for me. if you have not thought about those lines you are illiterate and belong to illegal category,Please consider some other sites for your inability.

If you are really highly skilled individual you should overcome any problem/issue, I do not think US would waste GC for such a pessimist guy.

oliTwist
02-22-2009, 11:58 PM
There is no need to cast all kinds of aspirations on the poor guy who is just venting his frustration. Different ppl have different circumstances and just being negitive with the arrogant self righteousness is a little too much, particularly when a lot of ppl are frustrated standing this never ending GC journey.

return_to_india
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
US might be moving to depression. By that time India,China might be still having some growth left. want to join the 40 M without health insurance etc, stay on here.

bfadlia
02-23-2009, 12:22 AM

The guy is obviously talking from the gc stand point only, so there was no need for the harsh patriotic replies that followed..
From a gc stand point only too, I feel it's a mixed blessing. Forgive a generalization here, not all Indians and Chinese here r in IT or started the gc through H or L visas, but fact is, a good portion of them are. There is a blessing if you are Indian in IT looking for H or L chance to come here, these chances in other chargeability countries are very scarce and harder to come by.. then the advantages are reversed after the people arrive here.
It will be better for everyone's peace of mind if people don't dwell on shortcomings without remembering their advantages too.
cheers..

AK_GC
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM

I do have some empathy for you. Filing for a GC thro' Indian or Chinese nationailty is a long and a rough road and is very frustrating. It does seem like slave labor. May be you can vent your steam by actively participating here http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23587

misanthrope
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Wtf?!?!

addsf345
05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
As Chandu says, every commnity should stand united against injustice.

dummgelauft
05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Whats is this??? I am still wondering..

This is not discrimination ,its a simple quota..

If you are from India, Did you ever said that it was a sin to be born in the general category, because there are reservations for SC/ST...nooo

So why this..

YES, Being born in Inida is indeed a punishment of sins of the past life. It is the armpit of the world and will continue to be so.
And YES, i felt being born into "General Category" is a sin too becasue not only YOU were denied a place in a Institution of your choice, for which you had the caliber, but also you will be treated by a doctor from "reserved category", who had barely passing score on his 12th and PMET exam. You are screwed both ways. Don't tell me that a guy who works his butt of and makes it to medical school and another who gets in due to the caste he was born into, will make physicans or engineers of the same caliber and knowledge.

edaltsis
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Is Green Card the only thing in your life? Why do you think its a sin if you dont get a Green Card...Your thinking should change.

old_hat
05-09-2009, 03:12 AM

Had I not been born in India I perhaps would not be here in the first place. Most of us are here because of the education system in India (however rotten!). I am not sure I would be here if I was born in Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iraq or Sri Lanka. A disproportionately large receipeint of H1B visas were Indians and some of the credit goes to Indian education system or Indian middle class mentality and system where parents push their kids to perform to their potential.

morchu
05-09-2009, 04:24 AM
I agree that Indian education system is top-notch. But please do not make any comments specifically mentioning other countries. You may not know, there might be good schools too. Also we do not want to divide ourselves.

digmetalq
05-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Dude, how is it bonded labor?????? Nobody has forced you to stay in this country - you are free to take a flight back to your home country today :)

You are in this wait for your own cause, so don't try to shift the blame to the system!

It is easy to say to go back to your own country. Tell your teenage kids who have had education in this great country and try to explain the pains of you going through the bulletins every month waiting patiently, that when will your turn come. Yes this country is free, and only illegals can survive here,because I don't have the guts to see ICE coming to my house in the middle of the morning, I was never raised by my parents like that, we obey the law, you may laugh at me but I shiver even at a small traffic stop because I fear for my families well being, this is the free country we are talking about.

2008FebEb2
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
If you are born in India, then getting GC will be extremely tough.

To me, its not GC. Its about the freedom to work for any employer without going through the hassles of H1B.

We all know how difficult it is to get a job on H1B.

Also, my wife cannot work without EAD or GC. Have to listen to their frustration everyday. Being born in India and living in US is a very tough road.

We can blame ourselves. Our more than 1 billion population(and growing), too many engineering colleges producing lakhs of students every year, rampant poverty, horrendous infrastructure all make everything unattractive for many of us.

GCDo
05-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Friends, I have been extremely uncomfortable with this forum in general. The tone of most of our members is extremely arrogant and unfriendly. Even if someone posts such threads, why can't we empathize with them and keep a civil tone? Does it take too much effort to do that? We are not helping India and its image by such a tone. It's extremely sad to see the replies to this post. We have been living in America so long but haven't learned anything from their amicable and friendly demeanor. Please take this feedback in the right spirit. "Slumdog Millionaire" has done quite a bit for our image already, don't you think (Note: sarcasm alert).

To the OP, what I have learned from the GC experience so far is that we need to try our best to be eligible for the EB1 category. After all, it is the first preference for America because that's the real cream of the world that they want. And I believe it cannot be misused by 'desi' bodyshoppers since you need to show 'real' credentials. So try for that and I think you'll get your GC soon enough. I have contributed to this website but am also looking at all possible options to use my potential to get out of the EB3 category. Hope this helps.

I also believe the 'sin' is that our population increase has been out of control and that creates a huge logjam wherever we go.

Please do not call EB1 guys real cream. I have met lot of guys who got GC through EB1.
They have same or or worse skills than EB3.

And i am not talking about noble laureates, academy award winners or outstanding researchers. These are our very own Glorified Body shoppers " multinational executives/managers".
To apply for EB1 you only need 3-4 years of experience outside US in a "managerial capacity" and 1 year in US

sanjay
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Is being born in China and India a sin.

No. Not even in my dreams. Always proud to be an INDIAN.

Just b'cause getting GC is getting late in USA doesn't demean me being an Indian.

old_hat
05-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I agree that Indian education system is top-notch. But please do not make any comments specifically mentioning other countries. You may not know, there might be good schools too. Also we do not want to divide ourselves.

I think I did not make myself clear there. Firstly there are good schools in each country and I personally work with people from Pak, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc etc on my current job. And all of them are fine engineers. My point was the scale of our system that allowed guys with whatever background to pursue and make a career. Secondly there are other issues. People from Pakistan have visa problems. People from Bangladesh/nepal have problems with their passports. My Sri Lankan colleague is a Tamil whose family was based in the war zone. I do not think I would have done well in that situation. Again it is just another point of view and not necessarily to be agreed upon by anyone else. My motive was not to demean any country, but I agree it was not entirely clear from my earlier posting.

here_in_US
05-10-2009, 01:09 AM
interesting post and interesting views!!

As usual, our most of desi bros are good in leg pooling.

I would say - stop running for rat race or at least don't let it kill you. Ultimately u need GC to live happily and if process is killing you- what's the point then? One of my friend is also going through same frustration who works in a TARP funded bank. His company has not filed for GC since they are firing employees from last 2 yrs and now his H1 is about to expire. Because of the faults of Joe the public and greedy traders (exclusive citizen clubs), he, an Indian citizen, is suffering. The good thing is that employer is willing to take care and move to some other country (Most of MNCs are doing this. They do not want to loose talent )

If American politicians won't get it, probably companies will move their head quarters also. And only reduction in easy money (taxes on global earnings) can straighten the brains of Grassley and Obama company.

sk2006
05-10-2009, 03:32 AM
As usual, our most of desi bros are good in leg pooling.

What is leg pooling..? I have heard of car pooling only.

kshitijnt
05-10-2009, 03:43 AM
What is leg pooling..? I have heard of car pooling only.

Good joke.

raydon
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM

No, it is NOT. Your place/time of birth is not in your control, but what you make of yourself with your skills and talents is up to you. Why should having a long wait in the green card queue make it sinful to be born in India ? If the people who fought for India's freedom from the British had the same mindset as yours, then we would never have attained freedom. I totally disagree with that view.

go_guy123
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
If you are born in India, then getting GC will be extremely tough.

To me, its not GC. Its about the freedom to work for any employer without going through the hassles of H1B.

We all know how difficult it is to get a job on H1B.

Also, my wife cannot work without EAD or GC. Have to listen to their frustration everyday. Being born in India and living in US is a very tough road.

We can blame ourselves. Our more than 1 billion population(and growing), too many engineering colleges producing lakhs of students every year, rampant poverty, horrendous infrastructure all make everything unattractive for many of us.

Actually China has greater population than India and in fact lot more people come to US from China/Mexico. However due to social/cultural issues most Indians marry from India and apply for GC through the Eb route. Whereas from China lot marry a USC or apply through asylum etc. So EB route is jammed completely for India.

You can check it for yourself at http://www.migrationinformation.org/DataHub/countrydata/data.cfm

Mexico, China, Philippines sent far more people to US than India