PDA

View Full Version : Change we can see? - Just wanted to share...

Pagal
02-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Hello,

In all the stories of INS, USCIS, DHS that I've read here, the lack of visibility, customer service and accountability seem to be the common theme.

However, I was pleasantly surprized by a call from IO a few weeks back in local office asking me for extra documents (Current employment letter as the original one was from 2007, 2007 tax returns and 2007/08 W-2).

He told me that though he had sent a letter, the letter would take a few days to reach and hence he wanted to call me up. He also told me that as my original fingerprints are expiring on 26th Feb, I should send the response as soon as possible to enable him to process the application.

Though I still don't have any extra hope that the application will be processed soon, it was nice to see a change in USCIS approach.

Hope this was not an exception to rule and we see more such behavior from USCIS that helps in clearing us from this awkward limbo situation.

ssingh92
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Hello,

In all the stories of INS, USCIS, DHS that I've read here, the lack of visibility, customer service and accountability seem to be the common theme.

However, I was pleasantly surprized by a call from IO a few weeks back in local office asking me for extra documents (Current employment letter as the original one was from 2007, 2007 tax returns and 2007/08 W-2).

He told me that though he had sent a letter, the letter would take a few days to reach and hence he wanted to call me up. He also told me that as my original fingerprints are expiring on 26th Feb, I should send the response as soon as possible to enable him to process the application.

Though I still don't have any extra hope that the application will be processed soon, it was nice to see a change in USCIS approach.

Hope this was not an exception to rule and we see more such behavior from USCIS that helps in clearing us from this awkward limbo situation.

They might thinking to deport you asap!!!!!!!! Just kidding!!! I dont have much hope from these guys. My finger print medical expired last year and I didn't get any letter or call.

Anyway having + Attitude and is good thing.

seeking_GC
02-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Can you share which application this was for?

Pagal
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
They might thinking to deport you asap!!!!!!!! Just kidding!!! I dont have much hope from these guys. My finger print medical expired last year and I didn't get any letter or call.

:)) Good one! I know...won't be surprized to see that happen either! :))

Pagal
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Can you share which application this was for?

It is Adjustment of Status (AOS) application for the I-485 that my company/lawyers filed in 2007 August.

Pagal
03-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello,

So yesterday (Saturday) was another surprize, a pleasant one again! I got a call from the same IO who told me that he got all the documents that I had sent and has cleared my case for approval, but now my fingerprints have expired.

He asked if I could come right away to his office and he could give me an instant fingerprinting appointment in the nearby INS office. When I told him that I'm currently out of country on business trip and won't be back in US till April, he said he will send me an appointment near April 15th.

I thanked him for his follow-up and he said he was just doing his job. I know this might be an exception than a rule, but just wanted to acknowledge this particular IO and hope there are more like him.

ca_immigrant
03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Hello,

So yesterday (Saturday) was another surprize, a pleasant one again! I got a call from the same IO who told me that he got all the documents that I had sent and has cleared my case for approval, but now my fingerprints have expired.

He asked if I could come right away to his office and he could give me an instant fingerprinting appointment in the nearby INS office. When I told him that I'm currently out of country on business trip and won't be back in US till April, he said he will send me an appointment near April 15th.

I thanked him for his follow-up and he said he was just doing his job. I know this might be an exception than a rule, but just wanted to acknowledge this particular IO and hope there are more like him.

when u say "cleared for approval" does that mean u are all set to GO GREEN ?
in that case.....congRATS !!

sanjay
03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
when u say "cleared for approval" does that mean u are all set to GO GREEN ?
in that case.....congRATS !!

But doesn't Pagal PD is Feb '05. Then how could he go for " GREEN " ? EB2 right now is current for Feb 15, 2004.

boreal
03-22-2009, 01:21 PM
But doesn't Pagal PD is Feb '05. Then how could he go for " GREEN " ? EB2 right now is current for Feb 15, 2004.

just a guess, they must be pre-adjudicating - pending a visa number. So, looks like (again a guess), if they pre-adjudicate before the FP expiry date, then you are good, otherwise, they will ask you to go to FP again...

cdeneo
03-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Is your application pending at NSC or TSC?

Also, can you share with us your city/state - just curious which USCIS location has become so efficient :)

Thanks for sharing this info with us!

Hello,

sdrblr
03-22-2009, 02:08 PM
It means "GO Green" pending Visa #. It is as good as telling "Pre Adjudicated"

Pagal
03-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello,

Yes, as my PD is Feb 2005, this implies that the case has been pre-adjudicated as of now pending new finger prints.

My case was originally at NSC, was then send to MSC (National Benefits Center) and then was sent to local USCIS office in San Francisco where I went for an interview and then had this request for documents. The processing dates for San Francisco field office as of now for I-485 are Aug 1, 2008. So, I'm assuming that they have cleared all the cases that reached them by 31 July 2008 and that NSC sent my case file to them by 31st July 2008.

The IO who interviewed me was different than the one who has worked on my case since.

Yes, thanks for the wishes...but in this process, nothing is certain till the physical receipt of the cards, right? :)

PS: As far as I know, fingerprints and medical records are the two documents that may expire...apart from the applicant! ;)

kiran_k02
03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Hello,

Yes, as my PD is Feb 2005, this implies that the case has been pre-adjudicated as of now pending new finger prints.

My case was originally at NSC, was then send to MSC (National Benefits Center) and then was sent to local USCIS office in San Francisco where I went for an interview and then had this request for documents. The processing dates for San Francisco field office as of now for I-485 are Aug 1, 2008. So, I'm assuming that they have cleared all the cases that reached them by 31 July 2008 and that NSC sent my case file to them by 31st July 2008.

The IO who interviewed me was different than the one who has worked on my case since.

Yes, thanks for the wishes...but in this process, nothing is certain till the physical receipt of the cards, right? :)

PS: As far as I know, fingerprints and medical records are the two documents that may expire...apart from the applicant! ;)

Good reminder to all of us, which we keep forgetting (about our own expiry) :).

Anyway, I would suggest to cut short your trip if possible and finish this pending work ASAP.
In any case, my wishes are with you, even though you are cutting the line :).

Pagal
03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Hello Kiran,

:) Thank you! Yes, I personally have always been a supporter of FIFO for permanent residency and I empathize with all who are waiting much much longer than me. That's why I said that I wish there are more IOs like the one who is working on my case.

Good luck to all of us and let's keep IV strong!

zen
03-23-2009, 08:27 AM

just wondering, how do you know when your medical and FP expires ?
I hope they will ask us to go through that pain only when they are about to approve a case (just imagine the mess ..if GC takes 10 years and they ask to go medical every 2 years)

bsbawa10
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
just wondering, how do you know when your medical and FP expires ?
I hope they will ask us to go through that pain only when they are about to approve a case (just imagine the mess ..if GC takes 10 years and they ask to go medical every 2 years)

Why do they get the FP and Medical if they are going to expire. Why not when they are ready to give the GC. That way they can save time and money for millions of applicants. I guess that is what they do not want to do.

Pagal
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Hello Zen,

Good question...I don't know, but it seems like the FP are valid for about 1.5 years....no idea about medical records validity.

Hello bsbawa10,

I think the process is designed for 'non-backlogged' processing which normally does not extend beyond a few months...you are right, maybe, we should have a different validity in the current situation with long backlogs.

jsb
03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Why do they get the FP and Medical if they are going to expire. Why not when they are ready to give the GC. That way they can save time and money for millions of applicants. I guess that is what they do not want to do.

Technically speaking, you send your I-485 when they are "ready", which means, your dates are Current, you are eligible for a visa. Beyond that point it is supposed to be a short administrative delay, which unfortunately is extending to years...

crazydesi
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Hello,

Did the IO made a international call (as you said you are out of country) to speak with you? If so how did he get your internation number.

new2gc
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello,

Just checking....If you are out of country, How could the IO know you number if you are on business trip? :confused:

chanduv23
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Just checking....If you are out of country, How could the IO know you number if you are on business trip? :confused:

Well, if you carry international roaming - your number will roam with you. Isn't it that simple? Also, you can have vonage or skype and have like 10 numbers from different countries in skype.

Pagal
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Hello Sleuths,

:) I appreciate your logical thinking and attention to detail! Yes, I've a worldwide roaming cell phone whose number is listed in Bay area, but I can receive calls wherever cellphone signal reaches.

I had included my cell phone number in my letters to IO earlier and he first called my office number and then tried my cell.

boreal
03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
In any case, my wishes are with you, even though you are cutting the line :).

Most probably your case must have been pre-adjudicated long time back as well :)

jsb
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello Sleuths,

:) I appreciate your logical thinking and attention to detail! Yes, I've a worldwide roaming cell phone whose number is listed in Bay area, but I can receive calls wherever cellphone signal reaches.

I had included my cell phone number in my letters to IO earlier and he first called my office number and then tried my cell.

Hope the IO was not just checking if you still work for the employer you listed in your application. Not finding you in your office, and your telling him that you are out of country for an extended period may raise some flags.

Pagal
03-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello jsb,

Yes, I guess I went through that scrutiny when I submitted the employment letter and payslips and W-2 last month...the IO had told me that he had employment letter from 2007 so he would like a current one and he wanted my tax details compared to W-2 to see if there was any other income apart from my job income.

Time will tell... :)

chi_shark
03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
did the io specifically say that? why do they care about other income? i would really like to know... if they are now saying that you cannot have any other income then all those who are trying to do a business on the side while on EAD could be in trouble! right?

Hello jsb,

Yes, I guess I went through that scrutiny when I submitted the employment letter and payslips and W-2 last month...the IO had told me that he had employment letter from 2007 so he would like a current one and he wanted my tax details compared to W-2 to see if there was any other income apart from my job income.

Time will tell... :)

Pagal
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello Chi,

I don't think there is any restriction on other income till it is not from a breach of your visa status. You can earn income from a business as a passive partner, but not as an active owner while on H-1B or H-4.

crazydesi
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Pagal,

My attorney too got a call onbehalf of my application yesterday ... the reason is

On the I-485, the question regarding any memberships or affiliations I had was left blank.

My PD is oct 18,2001 which will be current from April 1.

Im expecting that they are working on my case now :)

Hello Sleuths,

Pagal
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Hello CrazyDesi,

Congratulations! :) I really hope that USCIS starts this proactive approach towards adjudicating applications, that way if and when our PD becomes current, the card production would be the only remaining step in this journey.

All the best and wish that you get your permanent residency in April itself! :)