PDA

View Full Version : Recapturing unused visa numbers

zuhail
03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello,
I strongly suggest that we focus our time and efforts on a single and achievable target in this calendar year 2009.
Recapturing unused visa numbers from the last two decades would help us eliminate the retrogression issue. Other changes like Comprehensive Immigration Reform, Eliminating per country limits etc would require a leap of faith in the political process and it is unlikely to be achieved in this calendar year. The economy, unemployment rates, health care etc are bound to dominate the legislative agenda this year.

I suggest writing a petition or letter to the White House and the administrative offices strongly urging them to recapture the unused visa numbers.
I think we should follow the KISS ("Keep it Simple, Stupid") Principle to achieve this target.
If we add any other immigration provisions, it would increase the complexity of the legislation and it is bound to fail.
Could the administrators of this forum please consider my suggestion of focusing on recapturing the visa numbers and assign this task the highest priority.

By re-capturing the visa numbers, we are not asking for any change in the immigration laws. We are simply asking to use the visa numbers that had been lost due to inefficient processing by the USCIS.

Let us start preparing a petition and create a dedicated fund to achieve this goal of visa number recapturing.

Thank you.

snathan
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes...we need to get the unused visa numbers. But this is not the right time for that. Because of the economy there will be huge outcry and we should avoid the negative publicity.

In this situation if things are not going bad for us, we should be happy. At least for status quo rather than losing what we have.

zuhail
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I disagree that this is not the right time for visa recapturing. It will be never be the right time.
Do you think the efforts like sending 1000 pizzas etc would not draw negative publicity. Think again.
What we are asking is to recapture the unused visa numbers. In this climate of high unemployment rate, I do not think there is any other legislation that would draw less negative publicity.
It is to be strongly publicized and understood that these recapturing unused visa numbers are only going to help the non-immigrants who are already employed and who are on the path to seek permanent resident status. This is NOT creating new H1B visas NOR giving away the jobs to the non-immigrants.

vbkris77
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I challenge visitors in this forum to make atleast one fix, any small fix by sticking to the point and not beating around the bush and not getting into the shoes of others to paint the whole world problems in this.

Just stick to one point agenda and deliver it fully..

1. Recapture Immigrant Visas - to me too big to bite but it is the best
2. Admin fix to file I485 when date is not current - Helps lot of people who missed July 07 fiasco for various reasons..
3. Admin fix to revalidate H1B in USA - Stops all the BS about IO at POE killed someone etc..
4. Accountability of CIS - Make sure they process in FIFO by PD (Damn it, we need to define PD for them :-) )

Just stick with one damn topic and deliver it. This will help IV get the required attention.

Need an example, look at FOIA thread, In four days we had people pledging almost 8K.

gc28262
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Before taking up any agenda, check with IV core whether it is the right time.

If it was the right time, why wouldn't IV core initiate any action items when members are so willing to take up those ?

ItIsNotFunny
03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I challenge visitors in this forum to make atleast one fix, any small fix by sticking to the point and not beating around the bush and not getting into the shoes of others to paint the whole world problems in this.

2. Admin fix to file I485 when date is not current - Helps lot of people who missed July 07 fiasco for various reasons..
3. Admin fix to revalidate H1B in USA - Stops all the BS about IO at POE killed someone etc..
4. Accountability of CIS - Make sure they process in FIFO by PD (Damn it, we need to define PD for them :-) )

Just stick with one damn topic and deliver it. This will help IV get the required attention.

Need an example, look at FOIA thread, In four days we had people pledging almost 8K.

I second this.

snathan
03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I disagree that this is not the right time for visa recapturing. It will be never be the right time.
Do you think the efforts like sending 1000 pizzas etc would not draw negative publicity. Think again.
What we are asking is to recapture the unused visa numbers. In this climate of high unemployment rate, I do not think there is any other legislation that would draw less negative publicity.
It is to be strongly publicized and understood that these recapturing unused visa numbers are only going to help the non-immigrants who are already employed and who are on the path to seek permanent resident status. This is NOT creating new H1B visas NOR giving away the jobs to the non-immigrants.

I never supported the Idea of sending pizza, Burger or Briyani to anyone. If you are not aware, last year there was a bill introduced by congresswoman Loe. There was a huge outcry and number USA used that very effectively and that bill never took off.

This is the best option but this is not the right time when the un employment rate is 8.1 percent. Read the other thread about removing country cap issue. The core is not supporting that also because of the current market and economy situation.

zuhail
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Of all 4 the proposals made by vbkris77,
I would just stick with one and only one:
RE-CAPTURING VISA NUMBERS.

If we add any other item like re validating H1B inside US,accountability for USCIS etc, the message would bound to get lost. It will get bogged down by the details of implementing the other proposals. The devil is always in the details.

I think we need to stick to single target of visa re-capturing (with no mention of the word H1B in the legislation). There should be no crap about H1B workers stealing jobs nor granting pardon for illegals. Visa re-capture is for educated foreign-born professionals currently employed in US.

Many ask if this is the right time. When will be the right time?. Are we asking anything that has not been already granted by the law?. These past visa numbers have been already approved by the law but not used by the USCIS.

The time is RIGHT NOW.
It is interesting why IV team is not taking up this one item and start fund raising.
May be the team has some valid reasons for not doing so. I could only guess.
But waiting for the right time to take up this agenda of re-capturing visa numbers is not a valid reason. That is totally hopeless.

pappu
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

We keep doing feasibility discussions within the team and with our advisors before launching a campaign. We did work on some in your list above + more last year and got a couple of successes in return. Admin fix for 2 year EAD, visa recapture bill introduction are some.

I feel some admin fixes can be possible at this time and some advocacy effort with USCIS can help us get more efficient service. FOIA campaign is a step in that direction. Please support it to make it successful so that we have resources and participation to move forward.

zuhail
03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I never supported the Idea of sending pizza, Burger or Briyani to anyone. If you are not aware, last year there was a bill introduced by congresswoman Loe. There was a huge outcry and number USA used that very effectively and that bill never took off.

This is the best option but this is not the right time when the un employment rate is 8.1 percent. Read the other thread about removing country cap issue. The core is not supporting that also because of the current market and economy situation.

All our applications are based on our Employment-- We are already employed and filed our petitions for legal permanent residency. How on earth would that affect the un-employment rate? We would continue to work in jobs in US until our I-485 gets approved. Just because delaying our approvals does not increase/decrease the un-employment rate. I am fully aware of the legislations introduced by the Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren. There were too many legislative bills in her agenda.

We would succeed if we just focus a single item-- Visa Recapturing and NO other business.

By the way Mr.snathan, are you an administrative member of the IV team?.

ItIsNotFunny
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
We keep doing feasibility discussions within the team and with our advisors before launching a campaign. We did work on some in your list above + more last year and got a couple of successes in return. Admin fix for 2 year EAD, visa recapture bill introduction are some.

I feel some admin fixes can be possible at this time and some advocacy effort with USCIS can help us get more efficient service. FOIA campaign is a step in that direction. Please support it to make it successful so that we have resources and participation to move forward.

I think we should take visa re-capture as high priority once we clear FOIA issue. Whats your opinion?

pappu
03-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I think we should take visa re-capture as high priority once we clear FOIA issue. Whats your opinion?

We have already made it a priority. This funding drive is happening after many months. I do not recollect having an IV drive in a long time. Thanks for leading the thread and making members active.

zuhail
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
The Visa re-capture issue could be taken immediately after the FOIA issue.
But I guess it would be all up to the IV team to decide the agenda of this organization.

It would be nice to focus all our efforts and time on ONE issue only.
When we start adding other proposals (which only gives us only temporary relief), the main message gets lost invariably.

I think we could set-up a poll as below: (it would give us an idea about the support in this forums to achieve this target:)

Poll:
To ONLY Re-Capture Un-used visa numbers:
I truthfully would pledge:
i) $100 in 15 days
ii) $200 in 15 days
iii) $500 or more in 15 days.

Any one donation NOT to be less than $100 PLEASE.
I believe that the goal of Visa Re-capture is worth more than that even if you are making multiple donations.

BPforGC
03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Until Economy is back on track and unemployment rate is back to below 5%, do not attempt anything that pisses of American public. It is not the public perse, but those anti-immigration idiots will cry foul and make GC process even harder.

Right now, sit tight and wither the financial storm. The best action is to unlink I-485 adjudication to priority date. So, I-485 is approved and status changed to "Approved, awaiting VISA number".

They should create a list where approved I-485s with VISA number pending will be placed in a queue based on original PD. They should get automatic VISA number as soon as one is available in that order. Then the system automatically orders a GC. This should be automated so that another IO shouldn't mess with it.

They can also link this database with FBI or crime database so that if anyone is convicted, it will automatically generate a flag and USCIS can decide what to do with that approved 485. So, this will keep bad guys out if they commit any crimes while 485 is awaiting VISA number.

IV core, think about this.

vbkris77
03-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I already contributed fo FOIA campaign.

ItIsNotFunny
03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Until Economy is back on track and unemployment rate is back to below 5%, do not attempt anything that pisses of American public. It is not the public perse, but those anti-immigration idiots will cry foul and make GC process even harder.

Right now, sit tight and wither the financial storm. The best action is to unlink I-485 adjudication to priority date. So, I-485 is approved and status changed to "Approved, awaiting VISA number".

They should create a list where approved I-485s with VISA number pending will be placed in a queue based on original PD. They should get automatic VISA number as soon as one is available in that order. Then the system automatically orders a GC. This should be automated so that another IO shouldn't mess with it.

They can also link this database with FBI or crime database so that if anyone is convicted, it will automatically generate a flag and USCIS can decide what to do with that approved 485. So, this will keep bad guys out if they commit any crimes while 485 is awaiting VISA number.

IV core, think about this.

All of above suggestions needs a strong case building. Getting real information about queue is key factor in case. This is why we have FOIA action item running on full force. Would you like to contribute? http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?p=325183#post325183

Mr. Brown
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello,
I strongly suggest that we focus our time and efforts on a single and achievable target in this calendar year 2009.
Recapturing unused visa numbers from the last two decades would help us eliminate the retrogression issue. Other changes like Comprehensive Immigration Reform, Eliminating per country limits etc would require a leap of faith in the political process and it is unlikely to be achieved in this calendar year. The economy, unemployment rates, health care etc are bound to dominate the legislative agenda this year.

I suggest writing a petition or letter to the White House and the administrative offices strongly urging them to recapture the unused visa numbers.
I think we should follow the KISS ("Keep it Simple, Stupid") Principle to achieve this target.
If we add any other immigration provisions, it would increase the complexity of the legislation and it is bound to fail.
Could the administrators of this forum please consider my suggestion of focusing on recapturing the visa numbers and assign this task the highest priority.

By re-capturing the visa numbers, we are not asking for any change in the immigration laws. We are simply asking to use the visa numbers that had been lost due to inefficient processing by the USCIS.

Let us start preparing a petition and create a dedicated fund to achieve this goal of visa number recapturing.

Thank you.
Great thought about being focussed on one topic that doesn't even need a "reform"!Simplest solution to the retrogression problem I have heard so far.

H1Girl
03-10-2009, 05:52 PM

Any one donation NOT to be less than $100 PLEASE.
I believe that the goal of Visa Re-capture is worth more than that even if you are making multiple donations.

Please pardon me for my ignorance but why is that every admin fix will work with money in this country?

Does this mean we have to pay money to fix something in the system that will be useful to this country (eg: Senetors take the money and introduce the bills. Do you guys think it is equvalent to Bribe in other countries?)

I could recall that July '07 fiasco has been fixed without we donate anything.

Yes, I know that nothing is free in this country however I am not sure why should we pay bribe (or whatever you call) to fix something in the system?

These senetrors should have minimum knowledge that if they give GCs to us then we will flourish the economy in return. That is my point...

Mr. Brown
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Please pardon me for my ignorance but why is that every admin fix will work with money in this country?

Does this mean we have to pay money to fix something in the system that will be useful to this country (eg: Senetors take the money and introduce the bills. Do you guys think it is equvalent to Bribe in other countries?)

Yes, I know that nothing is free in this country however I am not sure why should we pay bribe (or whatever you call) to fix something in the system?

These senetrors should have minimum knowledge that if they give GCs to us then we will flourish the economy in return. That is my point...
Welcome to Capitalism!

...and yes it is the equivalent of bribes taken by our political people in India. As with most things Americans do it diplomatically by calling it "party funds" :-)

snathan
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
All our applications are based on our Employment-- We are already employed and filed our petitions for legal permanent residency. How on earth would that affect the un-employment rate? We would continue to work in jobs in US until our I-485 gets approved. Just because delaying our approvals does not increase/decrease the un-employment rate. I am fully aware of the legislations introduced by the Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren. There were too many legislative bills in her agenda.

We would succeed if we just focus a single item-- Visa Recapturing and NO other business.

By the way Mr.snathan, are you an administrative member of the IV team?.

You and I understand that we are already employed. Please check the Number USA site and tell me what common american people thinks about this.

rajuram
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree, when will the right time to recapture visa numbers???
We did not do it in the last government,
we did not do it when the economy was good,
did not do it when they were wanting ways for new people to buy houses,
did not do it in july 2007,

THERE WILL NEVER BE A RIGHT TIME, NEVER

Of all 4 the proposals made by vbkris77,
I would just stick with one and only one:
RE-CAPTURING VISA NUMBERS.

If we add any other item like re validating H1B inside US,accountability for USCIS etc, the message would bound to get lost. It will get bogged down by the details of implementing the other proposals. The devil is always in the details.

I think we need to stick to single target of visa re-capturing (with no mention of the word H1B in the legislation). There should be no crap about H1B workers stealing jobs nor granting pardon for illegals. Visa re-capture is for educated foreign-born professionals currently employed in US.

Many ask if this is the right time. When will be the right time?. Are we asking anything that has not been already granted by the law?. These past visa numbers have been already approved by the law but not used by the USCIS.

The time is RIGHT NOW.
It is interesting why IV team is not taking up this one item and start fund raising.
May be the team has some valid reasons for not doing so. I could only guess.
But waiting for the right time to take up this agenda of re-capturing visa numbers is not a valid reason. That is totally hopeless.

Nil
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
How abt showing the US govt - what is in it for them?
If they recapture x number of visas and y % buys a house soon after, it is a win-win situation. They provide solid ground under the feet of LEGALs and the benefactors build on top of that ground.
A key item will be to get a petition from a number of IVeans pledging to buy a house if they get a green card. If that number turns out high, this will be a good blil-board for our cause.

gc28262
03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome to Capitalism!

...and yes it is the equivalent of bribes taken by our political people in India. As with most things Americans do it diplomatically by calling it "party funds" :-)

Paying commission in India is considered corruption.
In US it is legal.

Reliance, Bajaj or other major companies influencing politicians in India is considered corruption.

In US it is called lobbying.

Yes. welcome to America !

zuhail
03-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Hello,
I really think that if we just pursue aggressively on one and only item: Recapturing visa numbers, we would succeed.
The moment you add anything to the bill that is to related to H1B revaildation inside US, eliminating per country quota limits or filing I485 when the dates are not current etc, the bill would be definitely doomed. Strictly no mention of anything else in the bill.

Also most importantly the visa recapture efforts have to be concentrated for the Employment Based Categories ONLY. If we include the Family Based Category, we would lose the debate due to current high unemployment rate.

I think that this is the only way to solve the retrogression issue -- to focus on only re-capturing visa numbers for use in Employment-Based Categories for educated foreign born professionals already employed in US.

I sincerely hope that IV administrative team considers this item seriously and assign the highest priority and start fund raising immediately.

By the way as for Mr.coopheal, I am not sure how updating my personal profile with all the filing dates accurately would matter at all for our discussion. Who gives a rat's ass about my filing dates anyway?.

new2gc
03-11-2009, 12:40 AM
You and I understand that we are already employed. Please check the Number USA site and tell me what common american people thinks about this.

yes, on CNN, Anericanworkforce.org are showing ad saying every year US govt is importing 1.5Million foreign workers.... I wonder where did they got that number.:confused:

zuhail
03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
If we put the word H1B in the Visa Re-capturing bill, the bill would be doomed. As few have rightly pointed out, it would be taken out of context probably advertised and interpreted as increasing H1B visas.

If we put the words, eliminating per country limits, it would doomed. The CNN headlines would scream "Indians and Chinese are coming".

If we put any changes to the current requirements of I-485 filing, it would be interpreted as diluting the existing laws to import more cheap foreign workers faster. The anti-immigration forces would be all over it like a monkey on a cupcake.

If we keep it simple : Re-capturing unused visa numbers for Employment Based Categories for Foreign Born Professionals already employed in the US legally and in the queue for Permanent Residency, we have a high chance of success.

IV team please start the fund raising for re-capturing visa numbers. Thanks.

gc28262
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
For me, I am like everyone else on the forum. I want my GC now :D
The point I am making is we are all enthusiastic members willing to do whatever is needed to achieve our goals. However if our actions cause more hardship for us, I am against it.

We need to pursue our interests at the right time. IV core has counsel to advise them regarding strategy and timing. We should make use of that resources for deciding the right timing.

I believe whoever opposes immigration in this country are racists. This country being made up of immigrants, nobody has the moral right to oppose immigration. unfortunately we have a populist, immature president in the office. Anti-immigrants are taking advantage of that. Mr Change is interested in millions of prospective votes from illegal immigrants only. Despite being Harvard educated, he doesn't have any sympathy for us.

bang
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I am in ......

gc_on_demand
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
If we put the word H1B in the Visa Re-capturing bill, the bill would be doomed. As few have rightly pointed out, it would be taken out of context probably advertised and interpreted as increasing H1B visas.

If we put the words, eliminating per country limits, it would doomed. The CNN headlines would scream "Indians and Chinese are coming".

If we put any changes to the current requirements of I-485 filing, it would be interpreted as diluting the existing laws to import more cheap foreign workers faster. The anti-immigration forces would be all over it like a monkey on a cupcake.

If we keep it simple : Re-capturing unused visa numbers for Employment Based Categories for Foreign Born Professionals already employed in the US legally and in the queue for Permanent Residency, we have a high chance of success.

Some anti immigrants are ready to kill our bill. If we introduce at time nothing is going to happen . Even it may kill CIR and that is what Anti wants.. This guy is encouraging people to push for recapture which will die soon. Why he didnot update profile. Even if he is good member he should pledge 25 $.

de2002
03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/opinion/03fri2.html?scp=1&sq=legal%20immigration&st=cse

zuhail
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
By the way there is a thread where it is mentioned that the spill over to EB2 and EB3 still works the same.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?p=325657

This would mean that there would be no significant movement in EB2 and EB3 India numbers.

Time is RIGHT NOW to introduce a bill for recapturing Visa Numbers.
Thanks de2002 for The NyTimes Editorial. ( I only wish this had also come from WSJ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/opinion/03fri2.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=legal%20immigration&st=cse

snathan
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Before starting new fund raising...do you consider to contribute for the current drive.

zuhail
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I have emailed the IV administrators seeking the opinion of the IV team and
about prioritizing the recapturing of visa numbers on the IV agenda.
May be I would be able to speak with one of the IV administrators about this issue soon.

zuhail
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Before starting new fund raising...do you consider to contribute for the current drive.

Yes, I contributed $200 to the current FOIA drive (Receipt Number: 0204-6911-0775-0614).
In future, please send queries of this type to my personal mail box,
so that the main message/discussion of this thread is still about re-capturing visa numbers.
Thanks.

unknown123
03-12-2009, 03:14 AM
I support.. I've contributed earlier and will contribute again.

I think we should first raise awareness on the problem like I-485 pending for more than 2 years for more than xxx applicants, who played by the rules, paid taxes, etc......

Visa re-capture is one (or may be the only one) solution of above problem.

Just my thought

zuhail
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi,
It appears that Visa Re-capturing for EB categories is not high in IV's agenda.
I wrote to the IV team about 3 weeks ago and no response so far.

So if you are interested to personally take part in this effort,
please write to me at fermion_boson@ymail.com and we can do something about it.
I guess everybody have to start somewhere.

Thanks.

zen
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM

very good point and I agree 100 percent ..sad part is that such a good post gets buried under 20 posts which ask for more donations.
as far as I know FOIA campaign was for 5000 dollars ..then it was increased to 10,000. will it increase again ?

suriajay12
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
very good point and I agree 100 percent ..sad part is that such a good post gets buried under 20 posts which ask for more donations.
as far as I know FOIA campaign was for 5000 dollars ..then it was increased to 10,000. will it increase again ?

Do we do any more than just agreeing with others or disagreeing.. Sorry.. but we must not let down our efforts. I wrote to Zoe Lofgren and change.gov this weekend. What did you do for your problems?

sri1309
03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Number USA is ready to kill our bill. If we introduce at time nothing is going to happen . Even it may kill CIR and that is what Anti wants.. This guy is encouraging people to push for recapture which will die soon. Why he didnot update profile. Even if he is good member he should pledge 25 $.

Did you read undocumented guys are trying to push their cause and by putting legals aside, which the goverment seems to be hearing. What makes you feel we must wait.. Just because you cannot contribute anything except for yourself. .People waiting for close to 10 years are usually in a position to create value and they are tied to this backlogs. We know EB2 is going at some pace.. How much time do you think is needed for EB2 to be in bin, into the same state as EB3 is in, right now.

gc_on_demand
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Did you read undocumented guys are trying to push their cause and by putting legals aside, which the goverment seems to be hearing. What makes you feel we must wait.. Just because you cannot contribute anything except for yourself. .People waiting for close to 10 years are usually in a position to create value and they are tied to this backlogs. We know EB2 is going at some pace.. How much time do you think is needed for EB2 to be in bin, into the same state as EB3 is in, right now.

Sri1309

illegals are pushing for what ? Didn't you read CIR will be later this year not in April or May ? Any piecemeal immi bill will not make through committe , as CHC wants CIR 2009. We can do add amendment for recapture in CIR 2009 or just 2-3 months before when actul movement for CIR starts. You can send faxes or letters to Lawmakers but no bill will be on table so they will just put ur faxes on side .. wouldn't it better to start aggressive campaign when something is cooking.

snathan
03-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Yes...Mr.Suriajay. No matter how many Ids you are coming with. I am not going to let you go until you post your forgotten $50 check. What happened to that check

zuhail
04-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Hello there,
Please contact me at fermion_boson@ymail.com if you are interested to take part in efforts to re-capture unused visa numbers for EB categories.
Let's do this NOW.
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield" --Lord Tennyson in "Ulysses"

ganguteli
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Hello there,
Please contact me at fermion_boson@ymail.com if you are interested to take part in efforts to re-capture unused visa numbers for EB categories.
Let's do this NOW.
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield" --Lord Tennyson in "Ulysses"

Dude complete your profile first if you want to be taken seriously.

I would be hesitant to write to some anonymous email id.

Saralayar
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Dude complete your profile first if you want to be taken seriously.

I would be hesitant to write to some anonymous email id.
For our accurate statistics, please fill all your details (Zuhail and others) with correct details (it won't affect you in anyways). For arriving at correct numbers for any Agendas, this is required. Then post your questions or start a thread in this forum.

minimalist
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
tying GC to housing initiative. You say there are things that can be done without money. Then, when I requested you to outline each step on how to approach, gather people and take it forward, you vanished and you sprout here again.

COntributing or not contributing money is your prerogative. If you don't see merit in something you do not have to contribute. But if you feel something can be done, just don't expect someone else to execute that idea. YOU have to take ownership.

There was a good explanation given on why it needs 10,000. EVeryone knows USCIS asked 5000. That would probably take 2 years time as there are 20,000 requests in queue before this one. Given that fact, they had some ideas to see if they can get a faster response time following a different path. They estimated it would cost about 5000 more.
People who trust them (in terms of their ability and honesty), contributed. If you do not trust them, that is fair enough. But they earned the trust of so many people who are willing to contribute. Believe me, none of the people who contributed have done so after careful deliberation.

Well, even for this initiative, you are welcome to outline steps and then am sure many of the IV members will join you.

zen
04-03-2009, 04:09 PM
o.k. ..I will first tell the issues which are preventing me from doing what you say.
whenever we/I come with ideas - some members come up with posts to attack and kill the idea. ( teli and sanju ..).

everything seems to be tied to donations ..but do people even think before parting with their money ?(it is their money and there is a saying for such attitude). some say donate for lobbying ... how much does that cost ? how much is needed ? no info is provided.
say we are raising 10K every month and say lobbying requires 500 K ...5 - 8 years will go just to reach that amount (by that time, some will say lobbying needs more money ) !!!

minimalist
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
tens of people who come out and attack them on why they need money all the time. But they still go ahead and do it. The reason being for every 10 who ridicule the idea, there are 20 who support it.
I really admire the perseverance the core shows in moving forward.

If everything seems to be tied to donations, this is because everything needs money. You know ,keeping up this website needs money. Lobbying needs a lot of money. The other day, some one pulled the info from a public website and said 500,000$ have been already spent on lobbying. I am sure more than 90% is probably contributed y less than 5% of the members. I am not one of those 5% even remotely.

Ignore teli and Sanju. You donot need their express approval to move forward. You know why they pick on you ? Because tyou just come and expect to be welcomed as heroes for any idea you have. You need to earn those stripes, then people will follow you.
Tak one Idea. Do something with it. YOu may not get a positive result in the end , but your effort will be appreciated and people will be more receptive to your next idea.

o.k. ..I will first tell the issues which are preventing me from doing what you say.
whenever we/I come with ideas - some members come up with posts to attack and kill the idea. ( teli and sanju ..).

everything seems to be tied to donations ..but do people even think before parting with their money ?(it is their money and there is a saying for such attitude). some say donate for lobbying ... how much does that cost ? how much is needed ? no info is provided.
say we are raising 10K every month and say lobbying requires 500 K ...5 - 8 years will go just to reach that amount (by that time, some will say lobbying needs more money ) !!!

snathan
04-04-2009, 12:57 AM
tens of people who come out and attack them on why they need money all the time. But they still go ahead and do it. The reason being for every 10 who ridicule the idea, there are 20 who support it.
I really admire the perseverance the core shows in moving forward.

If everything seems to be tied to donations, this is because everything needs money. You know ,keeping up this website needs money. Lobbying needs a lot of money. The other day, some one pulled the info from a public website and said 500,000$ have been already spent on lobbying. I am sure more than 90% is probably contributed y less than 5% of the members. I am not one of those 5% even remotely.

Ignore teli and Sanju. You donot need their express approval to move forward. You know why they pick on you ? Because tyou just come and expect to be welcomed as heroes for any idea you have. You need to earn those stripes, then people will follow you.
Tak one Idea. Do something with it. YOu may not get a positive result in the end , but your effort will be appreciated and people will be more receptive to your next idea.

Well said...every now and then some one will pop up with some questions and attack on IV and core... Typically it used to be like this

1. Coming up one proposal with no proper plan
2. Attack on core and asking what the core is doing all these days...?
3. What is preventing core from doing this and that...?

Dont you guys understand that core members also volunteer, they do have their full time job and family. If you believe in something you need to lead the effort. You can not expect others to work and execute your half baked ideas. Come up proper plan and convince others. Otherwise actively take part in IV issues, join state chapter. Contribute more time if you can not contribute money. Build your reputation and others will follow you.

See this Guy who op-ed this thread...once in a week/two he comes here for time pass. He is questioning everyone and advocating to contribute for the recapture though he is not even contributing a penny so far. Dont you think its funny.

suriajay12
04-04-2009, 09:59 AM
immigration-law.com says:.. Please read the second part which is more relavant to us.

04/04/2009: Congress Passed Concurrent Resolution, H. Con. Res. 93, to "Conditional" Recess Until April 20, 2009

* The 111th Congress has passed most of key and time-sensitive bills in the first three months. The last important bill which the Congress passed was the Obama Administration's FY 2010 budget proposal. Both the House and the Senate swiftly passed the budget in the last two days. It is historical in that the single most hot button legislative bill is a budget for the government and it tends to drag the legislative process for months. This week's Congressional action on the FY 2010 budget recorded a history.
* Having resolved most of hot botton legislations, yesterday the House and the Senate passed by unaimous consent a concurrent resolution to go into recess "conditionally" until April 20 for the Senate and April 21 for the House. "Conditionally" means when any hot issues develop, the leadership of the House and the Senate can always call back the Congress into the session during this period. Accordingly, unless such event develops, the Hill will remain quite for almost next three weeks in the legislative activities.
* The members of the House and the Senate are returning to their neighborhoods to recharge their energy in their political constituency. This presents a golden opportunity for the pro and con immigrant advocates to work with the legislators to support their immigration agenda when they return to the Hill after April 20th. These legislators never rest. Recess does not mean that they can take a time off to enjoy sleep for extended hours or enjoy a vacation. In fact, they tend to get busier in their community to harden and expand their political roots. It is time for the immigration advocators to roll up their sleeves to work with these legislators in their neighborhoods on person to person basis.

zuhail
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Hello,
I would like to clarify that this thread is not about discussing IV donations.
Initially I proposed a special fund raising for Recapturing Visa Numbers to pay for the lobbying efforts and all expenses that would incurred by the IV team.

For people who question why money is needed to do these activities, I recommend doing a google search to understand how bills get formulated and passed, on how lobbying works etc. Or they could open a special thread to discuss these things.

Can you imagine how this organization could be run, how the IV team could meet with the lawmakers and USCIS authorities etc. Everybody have their family and work commitments/schedules. Sacrificing your personal time to do something that would benefit an entire community is an exemplary and commendable deed. It is always easy to ask questions or type in few comments from the comfort of one's home. Pursuing a common goal and acting upon it with dedication and sincerity is something else.

Simply put, by making donations we are helping the IV team to achieve our goals in the arena of legal immigration reform. It may not be the most efficient organization in the world, but it has been effective and I have personally benefited by IV's effort since July 2007 and have made regular donations to the IV fund. Of course there would be people like Snathan who would want to kill ideas and proposals. These are to be simply ignored, as we already deal with lot of shit in our lives.

Saralayar, to help generate statistics I have updated my profile with the important dates now. I will update them with more info later on. Thanks.

This thread is to discuss efforts to achieve the goal of recapturing visa numbers for EB categories. Any new ideas, proposals, recommendations for the IV team are welcome. It also includes fund raising and ways to pay for this effort.
The least we could do is to make donations to help achieve the goal.
If you can contribute some ideas, some money etc, wonderful, great!. Otherwise please don't say anything negative that is of no use to anybody.

shiankuraaf
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Employment-based immigrants visa issued in last 10 Years from 1998 to 2007
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Year 1998----1999----2000-----2001------2002-----2003----2004-----2005-----2006-----2007
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quota 140,000-140,000-140,000--140,000--140,000--140,000-140,000--140,000--140,000--140,000
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issued 77,413--56,678--106,642--178,702--173,814--81,727--155,330--246,877--159,081--162,176
Unused 62,587--83,322---33,358----------------------58,273-------------------------------------------------- 237,540
Excess -------------------------------38,702---33,814------------15,330--106,877---19,,081--22,176 ----- 235,980
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
-------
The number of unused employment visa numbers from the previous fiscal year is computed by
determining the difference between 1) the worldwide level of employment-based visas established
for the previous fiscal year and 2) the number of employment-based visas actually issued during the
previous fiscal year.

Source for the statistics:

http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publicatio...

pappu
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Brain less Ganguteli,

Looks like you are a pest in this community. All the time I hear from you update your profile. What the heck are you goign to do with that other than just saying something. Chillout dude.

You are driving people away from this site. Sanju is another guy talks like a moron.

With your PD and category, how were you able to file your I485 in 2006?

I do agree that these guys get a bit irritating at times. I have warned Sanju once when he crossed the line.

But I do request everyone to fill in the correct profile data. This data is very useful to us. Pls check IV wiki for an explanation of this.

zuhail
04-11-2009, 02:23 AM
A very useful piece of information has been brought to our attention by shiankuraaf.
Thank you very much!

http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publications/LPR08.shtm

Table 6 Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status by Type and Major Class of Admission: Fiscal Years 1999 to 2008

http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publications/YrBk04Im.shtm
Table 4 Immigrants admitted by type and selected class of admission: fiscal years 1986-2004

Employment-based preferences (Total Number)

Year QUOTA ISSUED Unused/Excessively used
1986 140000 56617 83383
1987 140000 57519 82481
1988 140000 58727 81273
1989 140000 57741 82259
1990 140000 58192 81808
1991 140000 59525 80475
1992 140000 116198 23802
1993 140000 147012 -7012
1994 140000 123291 16709
1995 140000 85336 54664
1996 140000 117499 22501
1997 140000 90607 49393
1998 140000 77517 62483
1999 140000 56678 83322
2000 140000 106642 33358
2001 140000 178702 -38702
2002 140000 173814 -33814
2003 140000 81727 58273
2004 140000 155330 -15330
2005 140000 246877 -106877
2006 140000 159081 -19081
2007 140000 162176 -22176
2008 140000 166511 -26511

Sum total of the differences from 1986 to 2008: 626,681. Vow!!!

So when looked between the period of 1986 and 2008,
there were a total of 626,681 un-used visa numbers that can be re-captured.

This is based on the BIG assumption that the yearly quota for EB categories is 140,000 from 1986 to 2008.
Does anybody know how to verify this important assumption online --a link to a gov website perhaps?

It would be good to verify when the law specifying 140,000 visa numbers per year was passed and
what were the criteria for visa number usage prior to the existence of the law.

thomachan72
04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Before taking up any agenda, check with IV core whether it is the right time.

If it was the right time, why wouldn't IV core initiate any action items when members are so willing to take up those ?

I think Suhail raised a verry valid point. However, to recapture unused visa numbers might not just be an administrative fix. it would require a law being passed just for that and that then becomes a whole different issue.
We know visa numbers have been wasted but can we persuade and get a majority vote on a legislation that would recapture unused visa numbers?? That to me is a mighty big task in itself.... just like raising the country limits.
I am certainly not discouraing anybody....
On the other hand, is there any legal issue involved that could be fought in a court of law?? Since there were more applications pending than the allowed anual limit why were not sufficient numbers of visas issued? was it because there was a per country limit?? If that is true they can simply say unless the per country limit is removed they cannot issue more numbers to India/china.
Personally, I therefore feel more inclined to fight for these:-
1) Taking of the per country limits (toughest one)
2) Allowing change of status application irrespective of availability of visa numbers
3) Allowing for H1b stamping from within the US
4) premium processing of I-140

thomachan72
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
technical issue....dont know why but cant go to page 5.. this post is just to take me to the 5th page....pls ignore

ajay
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
A very useful piece of information has been brought to our attention by shiankuraaf.
Thank you very much!

http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publications/LPR08.shtm

Table 6 Persons Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident Status by Type and Major Class of Admission: Fiscal Years 1999 to 2008

http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/statistics/publications/YrBk04Im.shtm
Table 4 Immigrants admitted by type and selected class of admission: fiscal years 1986-2004

Employment-based preferences (Total Number)

Year QUOTA ISSUED Unused/Excessively used
1986 140000 56617 83383
1987 140000 57519 82481
1988 140000 58727 81273
1989 140000 57741 82259
1990 140000 58192 81808
1991 140000 59525 80475
1992 140000 116198 23802
1993 140000 147012 -7012
1994 140000 123291 16709
1995 140000 85336 54664
1996 140000 117499 22501
1997 140000 90607 49393
1998 140000 77517 62483
1999 140000 56678 83322
2000 140000 106642 33358
2001 140000 178702 -38702
2002 140000 173814 -33814
2003 140000 81727 58273

Sum total of the differences from 1986 to 2008: 626,681. Vow!!!

So when looked between the period of 1986 and 2008,
there were a total of 626,681 un-used visa numbers that can be re-captured.

This is based on the BIG assumption that the yearly quota for EB categories is 140,000 from 1986 to 2008.
Does anybody know how to verify this important assumption online --a link to a gov website perhaps?

It would be good to verify when the law specifying 140,000 visa numbers per year was passed and
what were the criteria for visa number usage prior to the existence of the law.
It is clearly a well prepared format and nobody has brought this kind of helpful information to our group. We would need people like you and I am sure I will also support this if we are aggressively pursuing it. But again as somebody here said in this discussion that we should be careful about the seriousness of the situation being counted by the lawmakers.
Kudos to you.

intezar2005
04-13-2009, 11:40 AM

from 2004 to 2008 visas issued are greater than quota 140000, are they recaputring old visas?

dontcareaboutGC
04-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Nope. This can be spillovers. Besides there was a recapture drive before which the Competetive Act of the 21st Century enacted by Congress. I wonder if those numbers are considered in the stats shown..

snathan
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I urge everyone to read the donor forum...we need more people to work on couple of issues and fixes. Please become a donor and take part in this...if you are serious to fix these issues.

zuhail
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Friends,
Time is right now to recapture the visa numbers.
"No army can stop an idea whose time has come." --Victor Hugo.

We need to raise funds for the sole purpose of passing the EB Visa Re-Capture Bill!

bigboy007
05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
I keep asking every person whom i already know and who ever i meet to join and support IV. i am hoping there will be atleast one who will increase the count and I keep propagating the issue of Recap.

Friends,

We need to raise funds for the sole purpose of passing the EB Visa Re-Capture Bill!

kshitijnt
05-11-2009, 12:27 AM
I urge everyone to read the donor forum...we need more people to work on couple of issues and fixes. Please become a donor and take part in this...if you are serious to fix these issues.

What is a donor. I previously donated $500 and I am not on that forum. Also asked IV through PM about it. Never got a response.

snathan
05-11-2009, 01:57 AM
What is a donor. I previously donated $500 and I am not on that forum. Also asked IV through PM about it. Never got a response.

They are considering Donor - only people who are contributing and not based on previous donation. As long as you are donating you will have the donor status.

arunmohan
05-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Friends,

I agree with you, this is a right time to go for visa recapture. We don't have to mention anywhere for H1B. This will be just for visa recapture.

suriajay12
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Keep writing letter, regular mail etc to president, Ms. Joe etc...

I can imagine whats in our EB2 (Feb 04-05) minds. "Lets wait and see what happens next month, or lets see Oct bulletin". I cant change your minds.

But EB2 guys from much later date:
If you looked at the pace it was moving in the last 6 months, you MAY get your GCs after 3-4 years.. which is unacceptable waiting too. So join hands with EB3 and lets move together. No point in waiting. DOnt you think all EB3s will convert into EB2 if there is no light at the end .. . So it will not serve anything if you keep quite...