PDA

View Full Version : W2 less than prevailing wage

bipin
03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I was working with a company until November 2007. I went to India in Dec and came back in Feb and was out of project until April 2008. During this time my relation with my employer gone bad and he threatened to cancel my H1 & I140 application. I transferred my H1 to the new company and is on project and is working with them from May 2008 till now. For the 8 months I worked in 2008 I got a total salary of 50,000 based on annual salary of $75K. This is less than the prevailing wages. Since my W2 is only $50,000 I'm worried about my immigration prospects. I’m in my 6th year and just started my Labor process with the new company.

My current company is ready to help me, but they cannot run any payroll for last year, but can provide bonus for last year to make the total of last year up to $60k. They are a small co. and have never done this before.

How can we include this bonus in my W2 (I haven't filed my taxes so far, the company also hasn't filed their 2008 taxes)

sundevil
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
This employer already hurt you by revoking your 140 and seems like you are not a big fan of his. Why don't you file a WH4 form with DOL for Feb'08 to Apr'08 salary. That way it becomes your ex-employer problem and you can explain your status all the way from Jan'08 to Apr'08.

I was working with a company until November 2007. I went to India in Dec and came back in Feb and was out of project until April 2008. During this time my relation with my employer gone bad and he threatened to cancel my H1. I transferred my H1 to the new company and is on project and is working with them from May 2008 till now. For the 8 months I worked in 2008 I got a total salary of 50,000 based on annual salary of $75K. This is less than the prevailing wages. Since my W2 is only $50,000 I'm worried about my immigration prospects. My previous employer withdrew my I140 application. Iím in my 6th year and just started my Labor process with the new company.

My current company is ready to help me, but they cannot run any payroll for last year, but can provide bonus for last year to make the total of last year up to $60k. They are a small co. and have never done this before.

How can we include this bonus in my W2 (I haven't filed my taxes so far, the company also hasn't filed their 2008 taxes)

bipin
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Complaining to DOL is an option, but that's a long process. I'm trying to avoid red flag gets raised and making my attorney richer by RFE, MTR etc.

Since my current company is ready to help, I'm looking for ways to get the $10K (from my this year's salary) included in the current W2 before I file my taxes.

Later I can take on my ex-employer and it can take it's own time.

This employer already hurt you by revoking your 140 and seems like you are not a big fan of his. Why don't you file a WH4 form with DOL for Feb'08 to Apr'08 salary. That way it becomes your ex-employer problem and you can explain your status all the way from Jan'08 to Apr'08.

rajutata
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Prevailing wage is for your future job after you get your green card. Bonus is paid this year although it was for your last year work and can not be included in your last year W2 and is not necessary also. Sometimes we get paid December months salary in January of the following year and will not show up in previous year's W2.

It is not a requirement at all.

number30
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I was working with a company until November 2007. I went to India in Dec and came back in Feb and was out of project until April 2008. During this time my relation with my employer gone bad and he threatened to cancel my H1. I transferred my H1 to the new company and is on project and is working with them from May 2008 till now. For the 8 months I worked in 2008 I got a total salary of 50,000 based on annual salary of $75K. This is less than the prevailing wages. Since my W2 is only $50,000 I'm worried about my immigration prospects. My previous employer withdrew my I140 application. I’m in my 6th year and just started my Labor process with the new company.

What is the wage mentioned on LCA for the H1 ? Is it more then 50K?

bipin
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
LCA wage is $60K. For the current company it is Ok since I worked only for 8 months. But my concern is W2 with $50K in CA bay area will definitely raise a red flag when it comes to any further encounter with USICS (H1 extn/Labor/I-140/AOS/Consulate stamping). I will need to do a lot of explanation. Iím trying to avoid all that with a $60K W2.

What is the wage mentioned on LCA for the H1 ? Is it more then 50K?

number30
03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
LCA wage is $60K. For the current company it is Ok since I worked only for 8 months. But my concern is W2 with $50K in CA bay area will definitely raise a red flag when it comes to any further encounter with USICS (H1 extn/Labor/I-140/AOS/Consulate stamping). I will need to do a lot of explanation. Iím trying to avoid all that with a $60K W2.
You are thinking too much. Whether you are in Bay area or in NYC , it does not matter. All they care is whether you are getting a salary mentioned on the LCA or not.

I

nousername
03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
What happens if your W2 is higher then the prevailing wage? Like $22K higher?

You are thinking too much. Whether you are in Bay area or in NYC , it does not matter. All they care is whether you are getting a salary mentioned on the LCA or not.

I

aachoo
03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
What happens if your W2 is higher then the prevailing wage? Like $22K higher?

Look at my past posts. I asked this question some time back and people said it should be OK. I got an RFE and the lawyer did not seem to care that my current salary is much higher than the LC.

-a