PDA

View Full Version : Kid with US Passport and PIO travelling to India

gcseeker2002
10-01-2011, 10:37 PM
My son's US passport expires in December and he has a PIO valid for few more years. we have a trip planned to India in 2 weeks and suddenly started thinking if my son's US passport needs to be renewed before going to India. We are returning well before the passport expires, so just wanted to ask if anybody else have travelled to India with US passports that were expiring soon and if they had any issues at boarding or immigration in India. TIA .

mmillo
10-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't have a answer for your question.

My wife and daughter visited India few months back . My daughter's new passport never had a new Indian visa stamping. She has PIO card. In Trivandrum she had a tough time.
After 2 hrs in line they allowed her to go . After so many pleasing etc.

My tip to you is to investigate about this also. If you need stamping in the new passport or not?

sneni
10-02-2011, 06:30 AM
My son's US passport expires in December and he has a PIO valid for few more years. we have a trip planned to India in 2 weeks and suddenly started thinking if my son's US passport needs to be renewed before going to India. We are returning well before the passport expires, so just wanted to ask if anybody else have travelled to India with US passports that were expiring soon and if they had any issues at boarding or immigration in India. TIA .

No Problem and no one has right to ask as long as you are not requesting any VISA. Yes I traveled with 40 days passport validity with PIO.

sneni
10-02-2011, 06:34 AM

My wife and daughter visited India few months back . My daughter's new passport never had a new Indian visa stamping. She has PIO card. In Trivandrum she had a tough time.

My tip to you is to investigate about this also. If you need stamping in the new passport or not?

Why pleasingÖ? As long as you have valid PIO card, you good travel back and forth.
I never had this problem. I traveled 4 times so far. Yes US 5 Year Passport without Indian VISA. Valid PIO

gcseeker2002
10-02-2011, 08:29 AM
No Problem and no one has right to ask as long as you are not requesting any VISA. Yes I traveled with 40 days passport validity with PIO.
I hope you meant your US passport had 40 days remaining, right ?
I read somewhere on the internet that Inda requires passport validity of 6 months minimum , and some airlines deny boarding for this reason, but never found any real experiences, so this is good to know. Technically if the passport and PIO are valid for the period of the stay and they are returning before the passport expires, why do they care as long as the PIO/visa is valid ?

mmillo
10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
That is the Difference between India and US.
Freedom doesnít come easy.

insbaby
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Your issue is not Visa. But the number of days left in US passport. Most countries have certain limitations on the number of days passport should be valid, before entering if you are a foreigner. When coming back to US no problems. Even 1 day left in your passport, you are good.

But entering India, you check with your ticket agent. In these days, your passports and visas are checked at least in a baisc level before airlines issue tickets.

ImmInd
10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
I planned my trip in June and found that ' Foreigners must have atleast 6 mos Passport validity when visiting india '. I had to renew my son (US Citizen) passport.

I applied with expedite and got it in less than a week. You can get the passport on same day if you visit one of the national/regional passport agency with an appointment. You can find more online...

cpreddy69
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
We appilied for US passport (expedited service), for My Son and got with in 3 days. So, please go for this service if you want to have peace of mind while you travel !!

gcseeker2002
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
The main problem for me is that for issuing new child passport, they are asking us to submit current passport which is valid for duration of travel.

can you pls give the info which passport expedite agency you used, and how much they charge. I have no time to go to regional passport agency.

Project_A
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I believe India allows 6 months extended validity (beyond the expiration date ) per agreement with courtiers like USA, please check into that by contacting the nearest Indian consulate. Since this arrangement is reciprocal, USA also allows 6 months extended validity for Indian citizens. Google for 9 FAM 41.104 EXHIBIT I.

-Project_A

Edison99
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
If you have valid PIO then Indian VISA not necessary...

gcseeker2002
10-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I believe India allows 6 months extended validity (beyond the expiration date ) per agreement with courtiers like USA, please check into that by contacting the nearest Indian consulate. Since this arrangement is reciprocal, USA also allows 6 months extended validity for Indian citizens. Google for 9 FAM 41.104 EXHIBIT I.

-Project_A

This is very good to know. I also called the airline and checked , and they said that for India they only need valid visa and passport for the duration of the trip, so keep the itenerary handy if somebody mentions the passport nearing expiry

insbaby
10-03-2011, 01:36 PM
This is very good to know. I also called the airline and checked , and they said that for India they only need valid visa and passport for the duration of the trip, so keep the itenerary handy if somebody mentions the passport nearing expiry

Only National Passport Agencies (about 7 or 8 locations in US) issue passports within few hours, but you have to go there in person.

OR you can apply in any passport locations locally (USPS has agents) and tell them you are expediting, they charge extra (something around $80, check online) on the same counter and send to the right agency.

gcseeker2002
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
After seeing Project_A's post and talking to the airlines , I have decided to renew the passport after my trip is completed and not take the hassle of renewing the passport when it is valid for the duration of the trip.

pkak
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM

-Project_A

Yes, if this is true, that is the best option for you. Bear in mind that even if you get the new US passport, you may have to get the PIO card endorsed with the new US passport number, and that looks like one heck of a procedure too....

https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/pio/display-requirements

mmillo
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
That is what I was thinking when I bought the flight ticket.
ďAs long as PIO card is there, Indian Visa is not necessaryĒ
I didnít visit India. Only my daughter and wife. The one which I wrote was practical experience by my family.
I also donít want to discourage gcseeker2002

gcseeker2002
10-04-2011, 01:51 PM
That is what I was thinking when I bought the flight ticket.
ďAs long as PIO card is there, Indian Visa is not necessaryĒ
I didnít visit India. Only my daughter and wife. The one which I wrote was practical experience by my family.
I also donít want to discourage gcseeker2002
mmillo, your case seems to be different than mine, you had a valid passport and PIO but no visa stamping right ? your problem was probably ignorance on part of indian immigration . my kid has used PIO 3 times so far with no issues anytime. i guess it differ for every person who works in indian immigration

pkak
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi gcseeker2002,

Please share the experience of your India visit. Did you face any issues because of your son's passport having validity less than 6 months?

gcseeker2002
12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi gcseeker2002,

Please share the experience of your India visit. Did you face any issues because of your son's passport having validity less than 6 months?

We had absolutely no problems, we even stopped over in France for a day. We just renewed the passport by regular process, and got it renewed in 2 weeks.

pkak
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks gcseeker2002.

We just renewed the passport by regular process, and got it renewed in 2 weeks.

This was after you returned from India trip. Right?

gcseeker2002
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks gcseeker2002.

This was after you returned from India trip. Right?

yes

addsf345
02-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello,

I have an urgent question. This is about my daughter who has a PIO card and US passport.

My daughter's US passport was expiring and we have renewed it. So now we do have her new (renewed) US passport.

Question: We are going to India next month, do I need to endorse her new passport from Indian consulate?

I am getting mixed feedback from different persons. Some say i can carry all 3 (old passport, new passport and her PIO card) and there should be no issues. However some say that it could be a problem if I don't get her new passport and PIO card endorsed with updated information.

If at all endorsement is needed, how do I do this? I am in CA and looking at CGISF website but could not find any direct link for information.:confused:

appreciate in advance. Thank you

bpratap
02-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Hello,

I have an urgent question. This is about my daughter who has a PIO card and US passport.

My daughter's US passport was expiring and we have renewed it. So now we do have her new (renewed) US passport.

Question: We are going to India next month, do I need to endorse her new passport from Indian consulate?

I am getting mixed feedback from different persons. Some say i can carry all 3 (old passport, new passport and her PIO card) and there should be no issues. However some say that it could be a problem if I don't get her new passport and PIO card endorsed with updated information.

If at all endorsement is needed, how do I do this? I am in CA and looking at CGISF website but could not find any direct link for information.:confused:

What is the need for endorsing a US Passport @ Indian Consulate ?

For entry to India, you are using her PIO card. juz carry the OLD passports, you should be good.

zapper
02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
I think you need to get a new PIO card as US Passport has changed. When i applied for my daughter they said its good till the current US passport expires. Just check with Indian Consulate. If you need to get a new one it take 1 week else you can use the old one

veereddy
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Hello,

Just carry old US passport along with new you should be good. Couple of weeks ago my daughter travelled with the same no issues.

nrmarrivada9
02-29-2012, 11:23 AM
He shouldn't have any problem as long as he has valid PIO card. My shuttled between Hyderabad and New York for about 7 times just with the PIO card.

chiranth
10-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Glad you could travel peacefully. These journeys can be difficult. A word of caution for your future travels - carry your child's old passport (the one that has the PIO/OCI stamp) in addition to the current one and the PIO/OCI card when you travel.