PDA

View Full Version : Please help me and other aged out students

i_aged_out
03-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here :) I'm happy to see such a big immigration community here.

Little about me....I came to this country as a 13yr old kid on H4 visa. My parents had filed for employment based GC. Unfortunately, due to our application being sent to some backlog center and other visa delays, I turned 21 and just aged out in a matter of days. I do not qualify under CSPA even after age-freeze calculations. Ever since that, my life has become rough :( I had to save myself by switching to F1 visa and pay huge international fees to continue my Bachelors degree....next, who will hire a bachelors degree student with no experience + h1b sponsorship etc. What if I was say....a non-engineering student (like Social Science/Biology etc majors) where H1B jobs are very limited to none. Many aged-out kids can't even go back to their country as many of us have our family here and no one there. We have been raised here and have our life + friends are here. Many of us will be forced to apply for graduate programs and pay more international fees.

Anyways, I posted this thread to ask you guys to help me and other aged out kids.

For a couple years now, I have closely been following a bill called "Dream Act" which helps undocumented aliens who were brought here before the age of 16, to get permanent residency because they came here without their consent and are now leading a horrible life. The full text of this can be found here - http://immigration-law.com/Temporary%20II.html

The problem is that this bill is most likely meant for illegal immigrant children only but I don't know for sure because the bill does not state it directly. Couple of them on a different forum have told me that, us aged-out kids will qualify while couple other pointed out the phrase "inadmissible or deportable" in the text of the bill.

This bill finally got re-introduced this week and will soon get voted upon. I have been calling/emailing/faxing senators to help cover the legal students as well in this bill. I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle because there are only a few of us who are in this situation and we can't make a big noise like how other illegal immigrants do...I am sure there are a few other here who are in this situation or have kids who are about to age out or have already aged out. Others who are not in this situation probably understand our pain....so please help me in contacting our senators....It's a common and simple systematic process that a lot of people do when a bill is about to get voted on. Here is the list of senators and their contact addresses. http://dreamact.info/senators

Calling is the most effective method. But many of you will be hesitant to talk on the phone. Many of you wont have the time. In that case, please contact them through letters, email, or fax.

Send FAX online: http://americasvoiceonline.org/page/speakout/DaretoDream

Send Letter online: http://www.change.org/ideas/932/view_action/ask_your_congressperson_to_support_the_dream_act

Thanks for reading this long post :)

indianabacklog
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I am sorry to hear you aged out. I understand more than you think though as I am the parent of a child just like you. We have no idea what road he will be able to take and in which country.

The DREAM act will not cover you. I have checked and double checked the wording on the different versions. You and your family have done things legally and will get nothing from this legislation.

I also wish this forum would take note of this problem but do not hold your breath, I always get accused of hijacking things whenever aging out gets mentioned. Sadly I think there are just not enough families suffering for anyone to actually care, except those it affects.

My local senator is one of the co sponsors and I am attempting to get him to take my plight on board and realize that rewarding those who came here illegally and ignoring those who have followed the rules is simply morally wrong on so many levels.

Try contacting your local senators too and feel free to send me a private message via IV and maybe at least two families can be in touch and see what can be started.

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Please dont loose hope. I know it is a very painful and troubling situation. Concenterate on your studies. I know other parents with kids having or about to face similar problem and I have tried to post about this issue few times in the last couple of days. Unfortunately the thread always drowns down amidst all the rest. I asume most of the visitors on this site are Indians and generally unless the issue directly pertains to me, I tend not to act/respond. Many, I am sure feel sad when they read your post but since it directly doesn't affect them, why would they take the trouble? I read a post about a guy with 3 kids who got his 485 denied after 9 years!! If that doesn't trouble you, then nothing else will. One response when I posted about this issue was "the situation of the ilegal kids is worse and needs to be addressed with more priority". When you see that kind of responses, all you can think is "may everybody be affected by the crisis whether it be aged out/back log/rejections/increased scrutiny/recession/depression or whatever, so that we all realize that only when we try to help others are we really helping ourselves". I have penned a few words by visiting the websites of various senators but let us hope others do to. Dream act if it is passed should also include the issue of legal kids who face aged out crisis!!!!

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I just wanted to promise you that I will respond as you requested by sending fax/phoning later today. I will do it immediately after work time. Please continue putting out your position so that others respond too. Every body has a good heart and I am sure will realize your position and speak out for you. We all have the blood of the great Mahatma running in us. Dont worry IV will wake up for you.

indianabacklog
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
thomachan

I sincerely hope that this problem does eventually get noticed. I have no problem with the dream act but if you are going to give an almost free pass to the children of parents who came here illegally it seem seem plain fair to give the same opportunity to those who have followed the rules and stil got screwed.

The reaction you got on this forum is business as usual. As you rightly say if it does not benefit individuals they do not care. However, if the plight of the aged out kids could gain some momentum it would in turn highlight how long people have to wait and maybe the retrogression and backlogs could get some air time too.

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments to senators etc. If enough people would do so I have to believe it could make a difference.

hsingh82
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Sent a fax, this is what I wrote:

Hello,

While I definitely support the DREAM ACT but I think it is not comprehensive enough to cover the plight of all children who are suffering because of their status in this country. I request you to please include children of legal immigrants in this bill. While their parents have done everything legally and are waiting for PR (which you may know is taking close to 10 years for some countries) for the family these poor children get aged out and have to get some status on their own to be legal in US or leave the country. I hope you would agree with me and include some provision in your bill to include these kids for their and USA's better future.

rego
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
This is a genuine cause.

It must be an easy/possible task for IV to take up this issue and add Legal Kids to the Act.

I do know some kids who are about to age out and this could be a great relief for them.

IV Core - Your opinions?

chanduv23
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
This is a genuine cause.

It must be an easy/possible task for IV to take up this issue and add Legal Kids to the Act.

I do know some kids who are about to age out and this could be a great relief for them.

IV Core - Your opinions?

IV core will definitely help if someone volunteers to steer head the effort.

rego
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
I can offer to spend my time in helping anyone who can spearhead the effort. I can prepare letters, do research, etc..

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
The fax and letter links you included are all supporting the ilegal kids dream act. If we just fax and send letters through these websites, we will just be counted among the many who just support the dream bill. However, what we need is for people to phone the senators who authored the dream bill and also other senators who might likely get this bill passed. we have to highlight the issue faced by young high school/college graduates like I_aged_out.
This issue has to be raised seperately and clearly from the dream act. What I mean is; just by supporting dream act will not help. They will not realize that we are talking about kids affected by the BACKLOG AND RESULTANT AGEDOUT SCENARIO.
Now how to do that? Personally I have no clue. Hopefully some clever IV member could take a lead and tell us how to attack this issue.
Let me be clear:
we are achieving not only a benefit for the affected kids but also highlighting the problems faced by the EB community due to visa number wastage and the backlogg. This is indeed a rare opportunity for EB community to put out its issues before the law makers.

fromnaija
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
As a parent of a kid who nearly aged out but got saved by the July 2007 fiasco, I really understand the pains of legal immigrant parents whose children face this issue. Even now, I don't know what my sons would do if my I-485 is denied as two of them are now over 21!
I would support this issue and send faxes and call my Senators and Representatives.
Congress should not be rewarding children of illegal immigrants while neglecting to act on same issues that children of legal immigrants face.

nk2006
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
This issue has to be raised seperately and clearly from the dream act. What I mean is; just by supporting dream act will not help. They will not realize that we are talking about kids affected by the BACKLOG AND RESULTANT AGEDOUT SCENARIO.
Now how to do that? Personally I have no clue. Hopefully some clever IV member could take a lead and tell us how to attack this issue.
Let me be clear:
we are achieving not only a benefit for the affected kids but also highlighting the problems faced by the EB community due to visa number wastage and the backlogg. This is indeed a rare opportunity for EB community to put out its issues before the law makers.

+1
The aged out issue in itself is worthy of pursuing but it also highlights the severity of backlog issue in EB community. Now that DreamAct is getting some press coverage - it is a good time to first highlight the issue of kids of legal immigrants and how/why they should be given an opportunity as part of this bill; and its also may be a good time to highlight the root cause of this issue - an unbelievably long journey of a legal immigrant to get to the permanent resident status.

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
As a parent of a kid who nearly aged out but got saved by the July 2007 fiasco, I really understand the pains of legal immigrant parents whose children face this issue. Even now, I don't know what my sons would do if my I-485 is denied as two of them are now over 21!
I would support this issue and send faxes and call my Senators and Representatives.
Congress should not be rewarding children of illegal immigrants while neglecting to act on same issues that children of legal immigrants face.

fromnaija, great that you joined and support this idea based on personal experience. I am personally not facing this issue, but am really surprised why EB community has not risen to the occasion and championed for the kids. Particularly when there is a bill in the houses considering a pathway for ilegal kids. They argue that "ilegal kids have nowhere to go" and we definitely will not argue against it. what we say is "legal kids too have nowhere to go" they have lived here more than 5 years, consider this their home, have cleared the morality test and often being the best in the classes will be great future citizens. We should definitely include the clause for legal kids into the Dream act. The issue faced by a IV member (south Korean) whose 485 got denied after 9 years and his kids are in high school/college is pathetic and shocking. We cannot let this opportunity pass. At this point of time, I dont think our lobbying for reducing backlogg, taking off country limits etc is going to work, however, that argument could be strengthened if we get the "KIDS ISSUE" into the limelight. If people have genuine stories about agedout / verge of being agedout to tell, I woud recomend compiling these and sending as emails / hard copies to senators. Even if your kid is not close to being agedout ever, we still gain by highlighting this issue. Even a video campaign authored by kids who are getting close to the agedout and kids who are really young and might face this issue in future due to visa backloggs might help.

rego
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Can IV come up with a volunteer from the core who knows how to go about this? I am sure this will gain momentum and bring in a lot more volunteers. I will be one of the volunteers.

Can we make this an Action Item in IV?

yvjoshi100
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I am also a parent of a child who aged out just by 12 days. My case was also backlogged for Labor clearance for 4 years and then unfortunately my I140 got cleared in just 29 days without premium processing (it could have bee a boon for any one else, but not for me as I could not take benefit of CSPA provisions) .For last 4 years I have been living with this pain of possibility of me and my wife being separated from my son. We also followed all rules and despite that we are in this plight.
I am very much prepared to work with any one to bring our plight to the notice of all who matters to get law amended to give benefits of time taken for labor clearance for computing age of children under CSPA .I request all and more importantly to IV team to let me know how can I help our cause

rego
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
If this drive will need funds, I am willing to start by donating specifically for this cause.

This is definitely a way of highlighting the long wait times for the Legal Immigrants, and this seems to be the only Immigration related bill getting promoted at this time.

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I am also a parent of a child who aged out just by 12 days. My case was also backlogged for Labor clearance for 4 years and then unfortunately my I140 got cleared in just 29 days without premium processing (it could have bee a boon for any one else, but not for me as I could not take benefit of CSPA provisions) .For last 4 years I have been living with this pain of possibility of me and my wife being separated from my son. We also followed all rules and despite that we are in this plight.
I am very much prepared to work with any one to bring our plight to the notice of all who matters to get law amended to give benefits of time taken for labor clearance for computing age of children under CSPA .I request all and more importantly to IV team to let me know how can I help our cause

Really sorry about your situation. Hope your son manages out a different route for the time being.
a bit of reality check:
1) The counter claim would be ilegal kids are here due to a criminal act of a parent and have no connection with any other country, have no label/destination etc
answer:- we certainly agree with that and empathise with those kids. They need to be taken care off for sure.
2) Evicting a minor ilegally present in a country will evoke tremendous sympathy and critical view of the immigration policy by the world as a whole.
answer:- again we certainly agree and wish that does not happen
Our request:-
A legal kid enters this country on the request of this country (asuming USA which is a christain country belives in a solid family which stays together). He accompanies his/her parents involuntarily. He/she starts recognizing this country as own at a very early age and stays here for long not even knowing what is happening to what they consider their homes. This country employes millions of skilled workers and many of them are here for many years along with their children. Even if the primary applicant is not accepted/denied/approved after >5-9 years, it is the responsibility on HUMANITARIAN basis to show justice to the new generation.
If somebody proposes a funding drive with clear goals, please go ahead and we will all contribute. if there is another plan pls come up with it here and we will all support.

Please keep this going.

legal_alien_007
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry to hear your situation. If there is a concerted effort from someone in the IV community, i am more than willing to be a part of it.

For now, i will try calling my local senators and explain/highlight this problem.

PS: I think this is a much better use of our time than trying to guess the next bulletin dates.

thomachan72
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I noticed one thing. People in groups like IV have a thousand different types of problem and they scan the messages and skim past without even respondin if it does not directly pertain to them. I am surprised by the type of unity and support the ilegals have gained and I have no hesitation to say that they are infact the better people. Even their website is amazing. The unity is unimaginable and they all stand for each other. This is reality which we have to face. We all seem to be alone until some common issue arises. Unfortunately this does not seem to be it. Look at all the posts that are running into multiple pages!! and for this important issue that an agedout kid raised we have a few posters. Even the one on future Indian PM has demanded tremendous response. I am sure of one thing; unless a commonality arises for all these issues there will never be a true success for any of the EB demands. The reality seems harsh but unfortunately we have to somehow accept it.

i_aged_out
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you all for your support ! Finally a place where someone actually understand what I am talking about :) Appreciate all your support.

If we and our parents have followed the law, then we should also be allowed to benefit from this act. What makes us different from illegal kids ? Sure, the illegal kids probably face a tougher climb but we also have to go through hardships. It is easy to say that the legal kids can simply get H1B etc but these people don't understand the pain of this GC process....Forget GC, who will give BS students with barely any experience H1B sponsorship ? And who will pay those hefty student loans ? Fresh graduates with barely any experience are not highly skilled professionals with tons of experience like most H1Bs coming from India are. My 21st birthday sucked !

The main problem is that we are not making a loud noise like how other illegal immigrants do. They have several publications/Lobyists/media/latino communities that fight for this cause. Thus, you see these bills getting introduced even in this economy. The bill will most likely pass this year with so much support from the congress members.

I know we don't have those big support groups but we can only try our best and hope to make it eaier for our future generation applicants at least.

I agree with thomaschan72 in the previous post. Check out http://dreamact.info/forum these member have really took a lot of effort in repeatedly contacting these senators and have directly met with their representives ! Hopefully we can do the same and get them to at least notice this issue !!Please keep calling/emailing/faxing these senators.

In any case, the main sponsor of this bill is Sen. Richard Durbin and his contact number is 202-224-2152 Please tell him/his representive of this issue and don't get intimidated etc. Also call you local state senators from the link I posted in my first post.

Please let me know how else I can help out.

i_aged_out
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I found a list of senator contact phone numbers on this forum in a different thread...here it is http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4853

nousername
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
To begin with.. I feel bad for your family. I truly hope that things work out well for you guys at the end.

Now about the plan-of-action.. I might be totally wrong but I seriously doubt that these politicians will give an ear to our problems. Writing to them might not help. I would suggest approaching media guys (Anderson Cooper, Larry King, Glenn Beck, etc.). I am sure these media guys / gals have kids and might relate to the pain. Even if couple of these media guys start talking about this issue it will kick in a chain reaction. American families who might unwelcome immigrants are still humans with families and if they start talking about this issue (after media addresses it) then politicians will follow soon.

If regular American is not talking about a problem then we have a slim change.

Also, I am not a big fan of illegal’s getting preference but their voice is heard simply because they are in a bigger number.. couple of million legal v/s 12 – 14 million illegal.

Just my 2cent.

Legal
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear.

The lobby behind DREAM act is very powerful. Power derived from money and political clout based on vote bank politics.

They should include provisions to cover the children of people who abided the laws. If they don't, not a bad idea to try to seek media exposure.

nousername
03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Also, if we decide to do something like this (contact media people) then it has to be done in an old fashion way i.e. US Mail.

Here is a draft I just came up with.. Please feel free to alter it or make it better. (keep it short and simple).

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Dear ..........,

I understand that economy is everyone's top priority and so is mine. At the same time both of us know that sooner or later economy has to come back up but by then my son / daughter / nephew / etc.. will be out of his/her legal status simply because we played by rules.

........... (Recipient Name), I am an "LEGAL IMMIGRANT" who patiently has been waiting for my PR since ABC Years. Now after ABC years my child who is turning 21 will be thrown out of the US as the Dream Act does not cover children of legal immigrant families.

In short my family will be divided if Dream Act does not include legal immigrant families .

My family would truly appreciate if you can please help us by addressing in your next show.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Plus real life situations will help.. Unfortunately, I can not offer any real life examples as I don't have kids yet. What I can do though is to send letter as a legal immigrant as I am part of this community.

rego
03-30-2009, 11:31 PM
I just added an iReport in CNN. I hope this will be a beginning to create awareness and promote action for this cause.

iReport is at

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-237786

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5glEpWIET4

We have posted this on youtube. Please have everyone you know look at it. Most people have no idea about the immigration backlogs and anomalies.

We are working on getting one of our local TV stations run a story on this too! Will keep you posted.

Come on IV if we can get this story out it will be clear to everyone how long we have to wait for our cases to get adjudicated legally. This story could lead to finally sharing our plight with the general public.

Just because it does not affect you directly now it really could help you in the future.

Just take a moment or two to help your fellow legal immigrants.

thomachan72
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
congradulations indianabacklog and rego. rego I posted a comment supporting your posting. It might take some time to appear though. Anybody who is working to highlight this issue and win support, PLEASE POST the help that others can do for you. Let us know if there is any specific person (radio/tv/politician etc) that we can call to boost your efforts or let us know if contributing some money might help. IV has many very powerful members and I hope atleast some will take up this cause which might help all of us. I would suggest all IV members including those without kids / kids who are very young (like mine) / kids who were born US citizens, to take up this issue. This might not directly pertain to you or me but when we fight for those who were affected or might be affected in this year or in the next 4-5 years, we are indirectly showing solidarity with the whole EB issue. We are essentially fighting the injustice of the excessive and purposeful delays in the system.
Currently the media/politicians are not even aware of this issue faced by legal kids. If we are foolish not to raise this issue then I dont see any point in the efforts of IV.
THE APPROACH OF TRYING TO STRENGTHEN A DAM BY SEALING OFF 2 OUT OF 5 LEAKING AREAS WILL NOT WORK. WE HAVE TO TRY TO STOP ALL THE LEAKS AND THE DAM WILL STAY STRONG.
now most of the IV members are probably thinking that we have taken efforts to reduce the backlogg / repapture lost vias / increase efficiency etc, but they are forgetting that in the current economic scenario the DREAM act is possibly the only one that can be helpful to highlight the issues faced by the backlog. The others will not work now particularly when you have senators calling for reducing H1b numbers etc.

deepikak
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I would suggest posting our legal immigration issues on face book, myspace on a large scale would bring popular media attention to our issues. I watch CNN every day and always see that they pick popular stuff from face book, myspace . these are just my thoughts.

legal_alien_007
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
^^^^^

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
How many people have viewed this and simply ignore the plight of these children who are left out in the cold?

Anyone viewing this thread please take a couple of minutes of your time to call your senator and ask that the least we can ask is that they get included in the DREAM act. It is not a lot to ask of you all and certainly not a lot to ask that those who followed the rules get the same chance as those who did not.

If enough people call then maybe somebody will hear us.

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 07:21 PM
As usual this topic is just not of interest to the people on this forum since it does not effect you directly.

Just remember those of you with teenage children who have not yet applied for adjustment of status, if nothing changes in the employment based system you too could have an aged out child on your hands in the future.

It is a miserable situation to find yourself in and the few of us who appear to exist are just asking that you make your voices heard on our behalf.

sri1309
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
As usual this topic is just not of interest to the people on this forum since it does not effect you directly.

Just remember those of you with teenage children who have not yet applied for adjustment of status, if nothing changes in the employment based system you too could have an aged out child on your hands in the future.

It is a miserable situation to find yourself in and the few of us who appear to exist are just asking that you make your voices heard on our behalf.

It doesnt affect me, but I'm willing to support any effort in this and I'm sure this is a very very genuine case and will get approval from any law maker who is supporting DREAM,

IV Core, we need your help in this. Can you please come up with an action plan. We are willing to fund the cause if you come up with how we go about this. We know its not just money thats needed but a campaign type effort and I'm sure all the parents and their kids will come out in support. Too bad that these kids have to now suffer..

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
It doesnt affect me, but I'm willing to support any effort in this and I'm sure this is a very very genuine case and will get approval from any law maker who is supporting DREAM,

IV Core, we need your help in this. Can you please come up with an action plan. We are willing to fund the cause if you come up with how we go about this. We know its not just money thats needed but a campaign type effort and I'm sure all the parents and their kids will come out in support. Too bad that these kids have to now suffer..

Thank you very much for coming forward, there are thousands of young adults who would benefit from a concerted effort if this bill were to include them and get passed.

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM

This is a youtube posting we prepared the message can be utilized for sending to anyone who you feel might be able to help.

indianabacklog
03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Please help the plight of young adults admitted to the United States LEGALLY.

Senators Durbin and Lugar are co sponsors of the recently re-introduced DREAM act to the senate. This bill was devised to by Senator Durbin to provide a path to permanent residence (Green Card) to the children of parents who entered the United States ILLegally.

This bill overlooks the plight of thousands of young adults who also entered the United States with their parents when they were minors who have AGED OUT. The legal immigration system is a slow process and if a child turns 21 before they can apply for a green card as part of their family unit they disappear into an immigration ‘black hole’.

The DREAM act effectively provides the children of those who broke (ignored) immigration laws with a path to citizenship while excluding those who respected the immigration laws.

I am asking that LEGALLY admitted young adults are included in the DREAM act.

Thank you

pappu
04-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Some questions to the people suffering due to aging out children problem.

- How many people are there affected by this problem?
- Is it possible to collect them in one place on IV and then run a campaign.
- Are you all willing to talk to the media about this.

I think the first step is to collect real people affected by this problem (not supporters) so that real stories can be presented by such people. 4-5 members talking about this problem will not make any impact in an advocacy effort especially if you say thousands of people are affected. Once you get several people on a thread affected by this (you can inform about it on IV, other forums, blogs etc to collect everyone) this group can take a lead.

You will need to send your stories and op-eds to media so that people come to know about this issue. And then use those articles to promote the cause. IV can also guide you with lawmaker meetings so that the group can go and meet lawmakers. Before contacting any lawmaker, this group will need to prepare a presentation and handouts on this issue to give to offices. Preparing such documents will require some research work by the group.

Sending emails and phone calls by masses will not work well. As far as getting all members involved in it, it is possible at a later stage when it can become a large scale campaign.

Lastly, do not start any campaign to contact Sen. Durbin. Talk to us and we will guide you whom to contact and when. Until then you need to form a group of people in this situation. Unless it is seen as a widespread problem, advocacy effort will be difficult. If you really want to contact someone, Then seek an appointment with your local congressman and Senator's office. If there is some prepared material by the group, it will be very helpful in such meetings. You can leave behind some printouts too. I would not recommend sending emails that nobody might read and may get deleted or annoy if coming in bulk. Likewise I would not recommend calling. In a phone call you can only communicate so much and the person speaking on the other line is also not in a higher position of responsibility in the lawmaker office. You really need to go and meet in person. Also go through http://immigrationvoice.org/media/HowTo_Guide_MeetLawmakers.doc to know more about lawmaker meetings.

Sorry to be straightforward, even if it sounded blunt. IV wants to let you all know that we fully sympathize with the sufferings of this minority in our membership and want to help. But everyone suffering due to this issue needs to take a few steps to organize themselves before any campaign can be planned.

i_aged_out
04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Pappu, you are right about the points you made in your post. Unfortunately though, there are probably not too many of us. Moreover, most of us aged out students probably are not too experienced with these issues and most of us are probably busy finishing our college or attending grad school. But if there are any other aged out kids or parents of aged out kids in here that want to join in and support this, we all can form a sizable group to fight this by generating media storm ?!? But this is an important long term goal...

For now, there is a bill already introduced in congress. It will soon be debated and voted upon. Given the short amount of time we have, our best bet is to try to at least have some of the senators to notice this issue. I like the idea of meeting up with Senators. I'm going to try to meet up with my California senators/representatives. But for those who can't do this, we have to make sure we call/fax/email. Please don't give up hope. Dream act community has been vigorously calling in. So are the NumberUSA, ALIPAC and other anti-immigration groups.

indianabacklog, thomachan72, rego, and others, I repeatedly read through the newly uploaded text of the bill on government site http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.729:
and I might have some good news for you guys....read on.

Firstly, throughout the whole text there is actually no mention of 'illegal' or 'undocumented' aliens. Perhaps, this is because, there are several kids who were brought here on visitor or any other temporary visa and they never leave. In fact, there are several Mexican families that have done this using the Mexican Non-Immigrant "Laser Visas."

Anyways, Section 4.(a).(1) is probably the most worrisome portion of this text because of the two words - 'Deportable' and 'Inadmissible' - that are used to describe the type of aliens that this act applies to. Here is the snippet...

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--

The words "inadmissible" and "deportable" does not only apply to undocumented students but others as well. So, if you are 'inadmissible' OR 'Deportable' and if you fall under the other guidelines, you will be eligible for this law. Now the main question is what does the keyword 'Inadmissible' mean ? Title 8 Chapter 12 Subchapter II, Section 1182 of the U.S. Code describes what 'Inadmissible Alien' means. Here is the link to this section :

http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title8/8usc1182.html

Here is an extraction concerning student visa..Section (a).(6).(G).
(G) Student visa abusers

An alien who obtains the status of a non-immigrant under section 1101(a)(15)(F)(i) of this title and who violates a term or condition of such status under section 1184(l) \2\ of this title is inadmissible until the alien has been outside the United States for a continuous period of 5 years after the date of the violation.

.According to this section, you violate the sections above and become inadmissible if you break one of the rules like taking less than 12 college units or if you don't apply for OPT and stay here after graduation etc. It is funny that we might have to become inadmissible in order to claim the benefits...but what can I say !

Perhaps, the main problem is that most of the senators think that students in this situation are all illegals. They are not aware of scenarios where legal children of H1B employees who are brought here as minors, are sometimes forced to become foreigners. Who ever came up with the AGE-OUT rule really is dumb...sorry to say this but I could not find any good reason behind this.

Anyways, I am not a lawyer of any sort. This is just my interpretation of the bill. I will need to contact a lawyer regarding this. This is most likely a side-effect of the bill or simply a loop-hole that is hard to refute...What do you guys think ? Please let me know if I am missing something here...

pappu
04-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Pappu, you are right about the points you made in your post. Unfortunately though, there are probably not too many of us. Moreover, most of us aged out students probably are not too experienced with these issues and most of us are probably busy finishing our college or attending grad school. But if there are any other aged out kids or parents of aged out kids in here that want to join in and support this, we all can form a sizable group to fight this by generating media storm ?!? But this is an important long term goal...

For now, there is a bill already introduced in congress. It will soon be debated and voted upon. Given the short amount of time we have, our best bet is to try to at least have some of the senators to notice this issue. I like the idea of meeting up with Senators. I'm going to try to meet up with my California senators/representatives. But for those who can't do this, we have to make sure we call/fax/email. Please don't give up hope. Dream act community has been vigorously calling in. So are the NumberUSA, ALIPAC and other anti-immigration groups.
Not able to find time should not be a reason for not being active on this issue. If the issue is important to you, then you can easily find time. Posting threads and asking others to help cannot solve an issue. Members including core have full time jobs and families that keeps us very busy. But we still take out time for IV and its action items. A couple of core members are not only doing full time jobs, but are attending grad school part time to do MBA. So if you have a will, there will be a way.

I feel forming a group is the first thing you got to do. It does not need to be a separate yahoo group. But just a thread where everyone affected can join in. Then you can set up a conf. call and know each other. Form teams of people to do various tasks. Going to meet lawmakers without preparation will not help. Thus do not rush into meeting lawmakers. This bill will not pass overnight or within the next week or two. There will be several stages in the bill approval process. You have enough time to bring people together. Prepare talking points about your issue and presentation/leave behind materials. In the group you will also know where each person belongs to. Prepare an excel sheet for all appointments taken, meeting attended and feedback received. Send that info to IV so that we can use that information for advocacy in DC.
Do not send Fax/email etc. While it sounds easy and is the first reaction, it will not help your cause even 1%. Your issue is new. You first need to raise awareness and educate others. Media is a good vehicle and the group must use it. IV will help you get published.

But first get everyone together and follow a plan. Every big movement starts with one person and then everyone joins you. So some of you on this thread must take leadership. IV will help you.

thomachan72
04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
sorry I was away for some time and couldn't keep up. I feel extremely happy to come back and find a very stimulating and guiding post by pappu. As indianabacklog suggested, unless more people with kids (whatever the age goup) respond, we will just be a few raising our voices in the wilderness. Dont loose your optimism yet, things can happen in ways that we cant imagine.
For this to become a successful campaign 2 things need to happen without much delay:
1) A really strong organizer (whom others respect) has to step in (we have seen a glimmer of hope with pappu's comments)
2) someway the general EB applicants should feel that there is a potential benefit for them too hidden in this agenda.

My thoughts about how everybody could benefit:-
1) whether it be a few who are directly affected now, there is always the possibility that more could be affected in future due to this aged out clause!!
2) Senators will realize that this delays and irregularity in processing PR application is really true and future generation (children) are affected by it.
3) if they say that Dream act is only for ilegals, atleast they will say;"Ok we will see to it that the delays are reduced and visa numbers are not wasted so that kids dont suffer".
4) most likely they will (if Dream act is passed) say that "pending streamlining of the EB application and adjudication process and reducing the delays in processing, the beneficiaries (children) will not age out and can be considered under this act to obtain a GC separate from the primary application".
5) if any of these happen, these kids will be taken off the visa numbers and we might obtain more visa numbers for the rest of us??

Anyway lets keep the ball moving and hope things brighten up. Lets wait for the big light!!

indianabacklog
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Having been trying to keep this thread on the front page for two days now and we still have very few people posting. It is more than evident to me that the community as a whole do not care about anything that does not help them.

I am more than happy to work on my own in the hope that somebody in the right place sees it which I will never give up on since this is for my son and would lay down my life for him.

The concept of getting a large group together is obviously completely beyond the realms of IV. However, there appear to be at least three people who are really in this situation who could work as a unit.

i aged out and yvjoshi are the other two besides me.

Let us talk at least.

Munna Bhai
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Having been trying to keep this thread on the front page for two days now and we still have very few people posting. It is more than evident to me that the community as a whole do not care about anything that does not help them.

I am more than happy to work on my own in the hope that somebody in the right place sees it which I will never give up on since this is for my son and would lay down my life for him.

The concept of getting a large group together is obviously completely beyond the realms of IV. However, there appear to be at least three people who are really in this situation who could work as a unit.

Let us talk at least.

Nope, it's not just 3 people. I am sure everyone is reading this post. But my guess is that everyone is looking for a action plan. You did the right thing by keeping this thread on the top but if you can come up with agenda list then I am sure people will come forward to join.

-M

pappu
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Let us talk at least.

Pls start with 3 and try to get more. Post on other websites and bring others who are in similar situation on this thread. I'm sure there will be many more and they are either scattered or not aware.

rego
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

validIV
04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
First of all, I am an aged out child. My parents started their GC application in 1996. They got their GC in 2001 August. I was 23.

I heard about the DREAM act in 2002, when we filed my I-130. That was 7 years ago, now its 2009. This act only covers illegal children, so in order for some of the people here who have aged out like me to be covered it needs to be seriously ammended or a new bill needs to be presented.

Since 2002 I watched as this act has been reintroduced year after year after year. I think I gave up on it in 2005. My advice to everyone here is to not get their hopes up. This act has gone nowhere in 7 years.

nihar
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I feel the same and i also have to maintain a legal status here as my family is already here and they are either GC and citizen my status is as below :

This is with regard to GC and h1
I have applied for family based GC above 21 yrs old on December 2006 and also currently holding h1 valid from October 2008. I also have my opt till May. Now since my employer was not able to find me a project he wants me to chg my status. I do not know what to do and how to chg my visa as, if I go on student visa I need to show financial documents and since I have not made any money how is it possible . If you can also suggest some schools who will not charge much or some courses which are not very expensive and time consuming and also where I can get work authorization as I will find jobs which are not technical and in line with my educational and work qualification . I have a deadline this evening as my employer just called me and told me this

Appreciate your efforts...

i_aged_out
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Everyone at IV who is interested in this, please post here and lets make a group that will fight for this cause.

First of all, I am an aged out child. My parents started their GC application in 1996. They got their GC in 2001 August. I was 23.

I heard about the DREAM act in 2002, when we filed my I-130. That was 7 years ago, now its 2009. This act only covers illegal children, so in order for some of the people here who have aged out like me to be covered it needs to be seriously ammended or a new bill needs to be presented.

Since 2002 I watched as this act has been reintroduced year after year after year. I think I gave up on it in 2005. My advice to everyone here is to not get their hopes up. This act has gone nowhere in 7 years.

I understand your frustration. I have been following it since 2006 I think. I believe it will pass this year because it has not gained a lot of support. But this is only true if it is made a stand-alone bill or if it is attached to the Defense/Education bill. There are talks that this bill might get attached to the CIR, which would simply poison it ! Hope that doesn't happen.

Take a look at my post above. I believe we can get around this issue of eligibility. Let me know what you think...

This is with regard to GC and h1
I have applied for family based GC above 21 yrs old on December 2006 and also currently holding h1 valid from October 2008. I also have my opt till May. Now since my employer was not able to find me a project he wants me to chg my status. I do not know what to do and how to chg my visa as, if I go on student visa I need to show financial documents and since I have not made any money how is it possible . If you can also suggest some schools who will not charge much or some courses which are not very expensive and time consuming and also where I can get work authorization as I will find jobs which are not technical and in line with my educational and work qualification . I have a deadline this evening as my employer just called me and told me this

nihar, sorry to hear about your situation. The day your H1B got valid (Oct 2008), is the day your OPT becomes invalid unfortunately. So now you are on H1B and that's it. Is your current employer paying you ? You need to be getting payed at all times on H1B. So you can file a complain and make your employer pay you for all the months salary. You can then take these paystubs and transfer your H1B over to a different company. This might be your best option even though it is tough for us Bachelors students to get sponsorship ! You can also convert your H1B to F1, but there is one thing you need to watch out for. Since you have applied for Family Based GC, your I-130 will most likely cause your F1 to get rejected because you will show intent to stay here. I am not any lawyer...this is just from my knowledge base. You must immideately get in touch with an immigration lawyer !

I hope these lawmakers understand what we aged out kids have to go through.

thomachan72
04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Halooooo, we are waiting for more people to join a worthy cause. Remember this is one with a glimer of hope because lot of people are saying the Dream act might pass through.
any immigration related bill favoring solely the legal class meets with oposition primarily from the proponents of CIR (ilegal immigrants) and also from the anti-immigration lobby.
For Dreac act atleast the lobby of the ileal immigrants will support it. If we try to somehow push the clause of legal agedout kids into this bill, I dont think it will be opposed by many specifically.

It will also pull out the children of legal group into a separate group (after 5 years of waiting) and therefore more visa numbers will become available for the adults.
Please keep this thread on top so that it wins support of other IV members too. Hope many join the cause soon and we are able to communicate it to the core for guidance and help.

ganguteli
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Did you post on the other websites asking people to join you on IV to fight this injustice? You can also post on other language sites where immigrants go.

thomachan72
04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Did you post on the other websites asking people to join you on IV to fight this injustice? You can also post on other language sites where immigrants go.

That is a great idea!! People who are aware of different websites frequented by the EB immigrant community, please post it here so that we can post this issue there.

Pandi
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

Please count me in. I am ready to participate in this effort.

Thanks

Pandi

Openarms
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM

If children are in "Status of Adjustment(I-485)" there are not effected by this aged out issue. What do they need when they go to college?? appreciate some pointers??

Well I do support for this cause.

indianabacklog
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
If children are in "Status of Adjustment(I-485)" there are not effected by this aged out issue. What do they need when they go to college?? appreciate some pointers??

Not sure what you mean. But here are some comments that I think are on the right track. They of course have to apply in the same way anyone would and have to find a way to pay the tuition fees and board if applicable. It might be more difficult in some locations than others to get in state fees without a green card but you have to work on that matter with the institution in question. One more thing without green card in hand you are not entitled to any federal assistance, student loans etc. Majority of scholarships require green card too.

domainguru
04-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Count me in. I am an aged out student as well.

Openarms
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
They of course have to apply in the same way anyone would and have to find a way to pay the tuition fees and board if applicable. It might be more difficult in some locations than others to get in state fees without a green card but you have to work on that matter with the institution in question. One more thing without green card in hand you are not entitled to any federal assistance, student loans etc. Majority of scholarships require green card too.

So what you are saying is that kids (<21 or >21 years) who are in I-485 status can go to college with the same status....work with institutions if they have any issues .. financial sorta.. but should not be having any legal status issues. understand.

But what is this aged out issue we are talking about here??? I do not understand...any pointers... I am sorry...I do not know full details for this criteria.

indianabacklog
04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
So what you are saying is that kids (<21 or >21 years) who are in I-485 status can go to college with the same status....work with institutions if they have any issues .. financial sorta.. but should not be having any legal status issues. understand.

But what is this aged out issue we are talking about here??? I do not understand...any pointers... I am sorry...I do not know full details for this criteria.

As long as you have legal status then you can go to college whether it be H, L or F visa. This aged out issue as you call it applies to children who have turned 21 before their adjustment of status has been applied for. i.e. if the process from labor cert, through I140 and onto I 1485 applications takes a long enough time they age out of being a dependent for the purposes of immigration. Therefore a child who is came here on H4 for example would have to apply for a student visa and attend full time college so they can stay with their family. If they do not they would have to return to their country of origin.

thomachan72
04-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Hallo Openarms,
I dont know whether this would be of any better information that you already know but here is my little explanation.
Let us say a kid becomes a beneficiary of a EB green card application at age 14, with a priority date of 2002. The issue arises when the processing takes a long time and during that period the kid exceeds the 21 year age limit (becomes aged out) and therefore can no longer be considered under the same application, even if it is approved. So at 21 years the kid is already going to college in the US and suddenly finds himself/herself out of status. He/she has to convert to an F1/H1b visa to stay in the country and start the green card process all over again by themselves. Because they no longer fall under their parents application.
Now if you look at the priority date of EB3 India it is 2001 and so many of the kids are highly likely to experience this problem, particularly due to increased RFEs or what not delays. For people with EB3 application and PD of 2002/2003, who knows when their chance will come and unfortunately many have kids who are in the narrow age limit.

What we need is either:-
1) Take off completely the clause of "aged out" it is stupid and ridiculous and completely irrational.
2) or Include legal kids who have spent a minimum of 5 years in the US with all the bla bla bla criteria setforth for the ilegal kids, into the Dream Act.
otherwise these kids are really screwed and they need our help.

rego
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM

One thing that most people here do not understand is that Universities have only two different categories for both admissions and Financial Aid: GC or Citizens get normal treatment. Everyone else, whether they are on AOS or H4 or any other status are considered International Students both in selection process and for Financial Aid. It is very simple - International Students are Not Eligible for Any Financial Aid. They will have to pay Full Fee, which is about 50k/yr in good Universities.

If DREAM Act covers Legal Kids, it will cover those in AOS too, which will enable them to get GC before their parents do and be eligible for selection as a local and for the Financial Aid that locals (GC and Citizens) are eligible.

Getting admission in good Universities is extremely difficult as an International Student as they tend to have a separate quota for international students, even though they refuse to admit publicly that they have such quotas.

I know these because my son went through all this last year.

rameshvaid
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=indianabacklog;330731]I am sorry to hear you aged out. I understand more than you think though as I am the parent of a child just like you. We have no idea what road he will be able to take and in which country.

The DREAM act will not cover you. I have checked and double checked the wording on the different versions. You and your family have done things legally and will get nothing from this legislation.
QUOTE]

I had to move my son to Canada, fortunately, We had a PR Card and I could foresee this problem coming. He had lost 2 years of college education and fees because in Canada, they did not give him all the credits he earned here in US. My 2nd son is also getting there and he will be 21 in June 10. I am sure he should be fine as we have filed his I 485. I feel bad about all the kids going through this situation and will send the faxes as suggested today and hope for a positive outcome of this bill..

RV

i_aged_out
04-03-2009, 04:53 AM
One thing that most people here do not understand is that Universities have only two different categories for both admissions and Financial Aid: GC or Citizens get normal treatment. Everyone else, whether they are on AOS or H4 or any other status are considered International Students both in selection process and for Financial Aid. It is very simple - International Students are Not Eligible for Any Financial Aid. They will have to pay Full Fee, which is about 50k/yr in good Universities.

If DREAM Act covers Legal Kids, it will cover those in AOS too, which will enable them to get GC before their parents do and be eligible for selection as a local and for the Financial Aid that locals (GC and Citizens) are eligible.

Getting admission in good Universities is extremely difficult as an International Student as they tend to have a separate quota for international students, even though they refuse to admit publicly that they have such quotas.

I know these because my son went through all this last year.

Very well explained ! Couldn't have said it any better !

thomachan72
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=indianabacklog;330731]I am sorry to hear you aged out. I understand more than you think though as I am the parent of a child just like you. We have no idea what road he will be able to take and in which country.

QUOTE]

I had to move my son to Canada, fortunately, We had a PR Card and I could foresee this problem coming. He had lost 2 years of college education and fees because in Canada, they did not give him all the credits he earned here in US. My 2nd son is also getting there and he will be 21 in June 10. I am sure he should be fine as we have filed his I 485. I feel bad about all the kids going through this situation and will send the faxes as suggested today and hope for a positive outcome of this bill..

RV
Rameshvaid, you are right the Dream act (as it is now) will not cover the legal kids. However, what we are trying to do is raise awareness and get people to gather together in support for including a provision for the legal kids into the bill as an amendment. It could be anything like "also to include children who are beneficiaries of an EB based GC application and have been waiting for more than 5 years and have fullfilled all requirements that are stated for the illegally present kids to be considered for a GC".
But for that to happen, we need to get enough number of people here (particularly people like you who have experienced/ experiencing this problem) and then as a BIG GROUP take action.

Individually calling/faxing might/might not make any effect as Pappu mentioned.

Please let us first gather more people.

to all who post/visit this thread try to also make small comments (without disturbing the discussion) in other threads too about this issue. Not in genuinely serious issues but threads like "who will be the Next Indian PM, what will be CIR be like, What is May bulletin going to look like" etc. These are threads intended to release pent up frustation and primarily for chatting with other people. We could insert comments about this issue in those very politely (Never be rude!! please).

teachamerica07
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Count me in .

What should I do ?

rameshvaid
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=rameshvaid;331864]
Rameshvaid, you are right the Dream act (as it is now) will not cover the legal kids. However, what we are trying to do is raise awareness and get people to gather together in support for including a provision for the legal kids into the bill as an amendment. It could be anything like "also to include children who are beneficiaries of an EB based GC application and have been waiting for more than 5 years and have fullfilled all requirements that are stated for the illegally present kids to be considered for a GC".
But for that to happen, we need to get enough number of people here (particularly people like you who have experienced/ experiencing this problem) and then as a BIG GROUP take action.

Individually calling/faxing might/might not make any effect as Pappu mentioned.

Please let us first gather more people.

to all who post/visit this thread try to also make small comments (without disturbing the discussion) in other threads too about this issue. Not in genuinely serious issues but threads like "who will be the Next Indian PM, what will be CIR be like, What is May bulletin going to look like" etc. These are threads intended to release pent up frustation and primarily for chatting with other people. We could insert comments about this issue in those very politely (Never be rude!! please).

Count me in and let me know if I could be of any help any hsape and form..

RV

thomachan72
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=thomachan72;331965]

Count me in and let me know if I could be of any help any hsape and form..

RV

Thanks for the support. Slowly but surely the number is growing. Before we proceed we need clarification from seniors/core/experts who have dealt directly with EB issues, that our effort will not and is not in anyway contradicting / harming the general IV agenda. We are pretty sure that is not the case, particularly since we had some administrative level encouraging comments for this movement. Once we have this thread really energized and moving we can with mutual discussion and consultation with core decide upon the effective course to take. That might involve calling a particular senator or group of senators along with contacting media. This might involve donations (particularly to get core support to the max) from those of us who have not contributed much so far. Whatever the option, the initial goal is to get more of us into this thread and action NOW!!
LET THE EB KIDS CONCENTERATE ON STUDIES/SCHOOLING, WE THEIR BROTHERS/SISTERS/PARENTS WILL FIGHT FOR THEM.

rego
04-03-2009, 01:44 PM

As I mentioned above, this action will benefit several thousand AOS students also for their University Admissions and for getting Financial Aid.

So, Members in AOS - Please join this effort. This concerns your kids too!

i_aged_out
04-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Good to see us gaining some slow but steady momentum...So far we have these users that have agreed to help us in this effort.

myself, indianabacklog, thomachan72, rego, yvjoshi100, legal_alien_007, sri1309, Pandi, Openarms, domainguru, rameshvaid, teachamerica07.

The other users have given positive feedback but have not directly mentioned that they will participate yet.

thomachan72
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
It looks that the list is small and many (atleast some) of them dont have personal stories to tell regarding this particular issue. What we have to do is impress upon our friends that even though only a few may be affected and out of them may be only a couple show up here, we still might be doing a great benefit for the affected kids as well as ourselves by joining together for this cause. Hope we soon have a great support among IV members. Try to keep this thread on top / post messages in

thomachan72
04-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Hallooo everybody.. given up already???
I had a minor setback so am preoccupied with that a bit.. my LC has selected for the random audit.
Anyway please try to keep this goiing.

domainguru
04-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't think anybody has given up, I am guessing its the weekend effect.

ashwinkumara
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Good to see us gaining some slow but steady momentum...So far we have these users that have agreed to help us in this effort.

myself, indianabacklog, thomachan72, rego, yvjoshi100, legal_alien_007, sri1309, Pandi, Openarms, domainguru, rameshvaid, teachamerica07.

The other users have given positive feedback but have not directly mentioned that they will participate yet.

As someone pointed out earlier, most people here on IV may not know about 'aging out' and the plight of families and children stuck in this situation. And if they do, they do not have direction to help you. It is plain ignorance and not unwillingness to help.

I would follow recommendations by pappu to make concrete efforts, in addition I suggest -

1) Call your cause 'WHAT ABOUT US, DREAM Act?' Type a brief background of what aged out means and how if affects LEGAL families. Brief written and YouTube stories of all aged out children and the hardships they are facing.
2) Request IV to make this a sticky so that it is on the front page of the forums and does not get pushed down.
3) List your plans and how IV members can help reach your goal.

Only a multi-pronged strategy with a single focus can achieve this result. Do not be disheartened that there only a minorty of people in your situation. I am sure once people understand the extreme hardships like 'rameshvaid' sending kids over to Canada, losing 2 years of education and discrimination by the proposed DREAM act, this issue will gain momentum.

This is not the time to be anonymous sufferers, this may be your one shot to get the language in the Dream act. Open a blog on IV, sell T-shirts or whatever it takes to get more publicity. This is America - you get noticed if you stand out and catch media attention to jolt people into action. Try to get your story to some reporters and tie it to the DREAM act.

I will help in any way I can.

thomachan72
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
As someone pointed out earlier, most people here on IV may not know about 'aging out' and the plight of families and children stuck in this situation. And if they do, they do not have direction to help you. It is plain ignorance and not unwillingness to help.

I would follow recommendations by pappu to make concrete efforts, in addition I suggest -

1) Call your cause 'WHAT ABOUT US, DREAM Act?' Type a brief background of what aged out means and how if affects LEGAL families. Brief written and YouTube stories of all aged out children and the hardships they are facing.
2) Request IV to make this a sticky so that it is on the front page of the forums and does not get pushed down.
3) List your plans and how IV members can help reach your goal.

Only a multi-pronged strategy with a single focus can achieve this result. Do not be disheartened that there only a minorty of people in your situation. I am sure once people understand the extreme hardships like 'rameshvaid' sending kids over to Canada, losing 2 years of education and discrimination by the proposed DREAM act, this issue will gain momentum.

This is not the time to be anonymous sufferers, this may be your one shot to get the language in the Dream act. Open a blog on IV, sell T-shirts or whatever it takes to get more publicity. This is America - you get noticed if you stand out and catch media attention to jolt people into action. Try to get your story to some reporters and tie it to the DREAM act.

I will help in any way I can.

Hi, just your words enough were a great help. I am sure, aged-out will take your advice and do something.
aged_out, please try to take into consideration whatever was said in this and other important posts and let us come up with a plan of action. I am sure you will succeed so just keep going.

indianabacklog
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I am still around just busy at work end of the week and then with second job on the weekend to keep up with tuition costs. The trouble with having an F1 student in the house who cannot work.

I have already put up a post on youtube. if you type in 'the plight of young adults' it is first on the list.

We should direct as many people as possible to it and have then post comments.

i_aged_out
04-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi, just your words enough were a

great help. I am sure, aged-out will take your advice and do

something.
aged_out, please try to take into consideration whatever was

said in this and other important posts and let us come up

with a plan of action. I am sure you will succeed so just

keep going.

I was thinking about this today and I came up with two plan

of action that we can get started with. Please suggest any

changes.

Plan 1

We obviously need media attention as we all

discussed earlier. I have never done anything like this

before, hopefully an experienced member can pitch in and help us out here. Anyways, we all need to come up with an article. Any of us who is excellent at writing can head this. The article should probably highlight two main elements...

(a) it should target the emotions of the audience. It should point out the pain that aged out students and their parents have to face. It should point out the family seperation that can occur. It should point out how this is not the kids' fault. It should point out the problems with the slow immigration system. Thus, on humanitarian grounds, it should request the audience to support this cause.

(b) the second element should point out the benefits of supporting such cause. It should point out that giving an opportunity to these students will help the country in a long run. It is a wise investment in which we don't want students who have grown up and studied here to leave with all the talent they have attained from this system. In other words, American tax-paper money was used to educate these students at free public-schools and subzidized public universities (on H4). This education earned can instead be used to power the American economy. We often complain about shortage of skilled workers. Giving these students an opportunity is an easy way to help fill the shortage for doctors, pharmacists, engineers etc. Not only will these students pay back the favor to the American tax-payers but they will probably pay that amount over and over again for years.

Plan 2

The plan above might gain the attention of a few but this plan will directly confront the Senators = lawmakers ! We really need to bring this to the attention of the senators. Belive it or not, these senators have probably not thought about the aged out kids when they considered this bill. We got to bring this to their attention ! So this is very important ! Here is what we will do....We will pick about 5-10 senators per week. We will call these senators, send letters, emails, and faxes. The undocumented student community have been doing this and so are the anti-immigrant groups such as numberusa and alipac. we got to join in and voice our support. For this plan 2 to work, we will need the help of few more members and we all need to do our tasks. Hopefully more members will voice their support for this cause !

I also like the youtube video that indianabacklog made. I will make one also this week as soon as I get some free time from studying/exams.

Everyone please check out indianabacklog's video and please comment. Thanks

thomachan72
04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the 2 action plan that you suggested are pretty good.
For the first:
1) we need somebody to draft a preliminary article (not too long and not too short either) and then post it here for others to comment.
2) we need members to list details of TV/other media that have used or corresponded with previously to highlight EB immigration issues. exact contact details will be greatly helpful.
3) Once the draft is finalized and ready with real names (examples) of affected individuals, we can communicate this to the media with lot of us calling simultaneously to press upon them the importance of the issue.

For the seccond
1) once the article is out in the media/youtube/other sources, we can chose the senators and then communicate with them by calling + emailing / faxing
2) people who are near by some of the major senators can meet them personally to bring this to their attention.

Let the action begin.........

indianabacklog
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
We are in touch with a local TV station in Indiana via a client of my husband's. We are hoping to have then run a short story in the very near future.

We are also personal friends with a state senator who we are hoping will point us in the right direction to get this message out.

On both fronts I will update as soon as I have any news.

domainguru
04-06-2009, 04:06 AM
We are in touch with a local TV station in Indiana via a client of my husband's. We are hoping to have then run a short story in the very near future.

We are also personal friends with a state senator who we are hoping will point us in the right direction to get this message out.

That is very good to hear!

thomachan72
04-06-2009, 10:59 AM

It is wonderful to hear about your initiatives. Please also involve as many others who are experiencing the same / similar situation (for eg:- I_aged_out, Rego and others), while putting the story on the news and also while contacting the senator.
Or I would suggest I_aged_out, Rego and others contact their respective senators (only if you / IV suggests that they would be friendly and receptive to this argument). If not I would suggest contact nearby senators who would be helpful.
But when Indianabacklog contacts media/senator, if few others were also involved atleast on paper (Personal experiences with signatures) that might be helpful too. (just a suggestion).

pappu
04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I think putting you tube videos with your personal stories is a good idea. If each of you can do that, this collection of you tube videos can be sent to TV networks and newspapers. Make sure that youtube videos are your personal stories in your own words rather than PowerPoint slides.

Secondly start talking to each other and create some presentation and leave behind printouts for lawmaker offices. Then start meeting them.

You need to also post on other websites outside of IV to get people suffering on IV platform.

Contact big law firms too and request them if they know of cases and those people can be told about this thread. Contact lawyers who have popular websites and blogs to post about this thread.

You need to think of all ideas possible to get more people like you involved in this effort.

vine93
04-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Colorado State Govt. considering this bill and have mejority in state republican and democrats to pass the law that will allow illigal immigrants to be eligible for in-state tuition.

http://www.today.colostate.edu/story.aspx?id=781

vine93
04-06-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2009A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/CA6F4162C4FA404687257547007B350F?Open&file=170_01.pdf

rego
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Contact big law firms too and request them if they know of cases and those people can be told about this thread. Contact lawyers who have popular websites and blogs to post about this thread.

You need to think of all ideas possible to get more people like you involved in this effort.

I informed immigration-law.com of this issue and thread, and received a response.

How can we create awareness at AILA? Any ideas?

thomachan72
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I informed immigration-law.com of this issue and thread, and received a response.

How can we create awareness at AILA? Any ideas?

what kind of response did you recieve? Positive?
The only benefit I see with these attorney / their associations is to get them to inform their clients who might be facing similar situation about this movement. However, unless monitary benefit is involved these guys rarely act. But it is worth trying.

i_aged_out
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Great initiative indianabacklog !

Anybody here from California ? We all can try to set up a meeting with our state Senators ? I know it will be tough to meet up with Feinstein but that would be awesome !

i_aged_out
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
what kind of response did you recieve? Positive?
The only benefit I see with these attorney / their associations is to get them to inform their clients who might be facing similar situation about this movement. However, unless monitary benefit is involved these guys rarely act. But it is worth trying.

I think contacting attorneys is actually a very good idea. Lets come up with a list of attorneys who we all can send emails to address this issue.

One good news for you guys ! I, myself, and couple other people in different forums have contacted our lawyers regarding this Dream Act. They have expressed that this bill's interpretation is left to USCIC but they hinted that they will most likely accept a legal aged out's application as well. If they don't then the methods I posted few days ago, can most likely be used to take advantage of the law. We will know when the bill is passed and when USCIC clarifies it for us. Till then, the best thing we can do is - assume the worst and fight for it !

pappu
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Anybody here from California ? We all can try to set up a meeting with our state Senators ? I know it will be tough to meet up with Feinstein but that would be awesome !

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/HowTo_Guide_MeetLawmakers.doc
Please review this guide.

i_aged_out
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/HowTo_Guide_MeetLawmakers.doc
Please review this guide.

Thanks a lot Pappu !

GCKaMaara
04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I think putting you tube videos with your personal stories is a good idea. If each of you can do that, this collection of you tube videos can be sent to TV networks and newspapers. Make sure that youtube videos are your personal stories in your own words rather than PowerPoint slides.

Secondly start talking to each other and create some presentation and leave behind printouts for lawmaker offices. Then start meeting them.

You need to also post on other websites outside of IV to get people suffering on IV platform.

This is a very nice idea. I will do this weekend and post it here.

thomachan72
04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Great going!! appreciate your motivation and hope people in california join you. One thing is for sure:-
People who have been affected in past, are being affected right now and who have the chance of being affected in the future SHOULD SHOULD AND SHOULD make an effort to meet/communicate with the senators (according to the IV guidelines--link posted by pappu).
Keep up the optimism and the success will follow.

rego
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I think we must compile something and get in touch with Kal Penn. His focus is liasing with Asian communities as per the news item.

Related thread is here:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24891&referrerid=28665

thomachan72
04-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I think we must compile something and get in touch with Kal Penn. His focus is liasing with Asian communities as per the news item.

Related thread is here:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24891&referrerid=28665

Wonderful idea!!

Who could be better in doing that than some of our kids themselves who are affected and / or will be affected in the near future with this issue. If there are such people in or around New Jersey, or if somebody is willing to travel / phone, please get together and try to meet him. Through him, eventually we might be able to reach a bigger audience for the kids affected.

pappu
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
There is a media opportunity so that this issue can get some attention. It can be a start towards getting media attention. Please write to info at immigrationvoice.org if you are interested in the media opportunity.
in your email write-
- Your name, Phone number
- Description/your story
- What do you think is the issue and you want to say in the media about it.

This is important because we want a clear and consistent message going out in the media. I suggest you guys start doing conference calls and make some summary documents so that your messaging is right. Make sure that it goes out as IV so that IV can put its weight on the issue. If you go out as individuals with stories, it will not make any impact on the bill. It is not about stories that much, it is about the issue and how you present it.

thomachan72
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
There is a media opportunity so that this issue can get some attention. It can be a start towards getting media attention. Please write to info at immigrationvoice.org if you are interested in the media opportunity.
in your email write-
- Your name, Phone number
- Description/your story
- What do you think is the issue and you want to say in the media about it.

This is important because we want a clear and consistent message going out in the media. I suggest you guys start doing conference calls and make some summary documents so that your messaging is right. Make sure that it goes out as IV so that IV can put its weight on the issue. If you go out as individuals with stories, it will not make any impact on the bill. It is not about stories that much, it is about the issue and how you present it.
Hallo guys, so far I guess we hardly have seen around 4-5 genuinely affected members here. please respond to pappu's request with details. Pls do post here if you need any help.

i_aged_out
04-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry for missing the action this week. I have been busy with exams and classes. I will be free finally at the end of this month. Whenever I get time, I will be making a presentation compiling facts/data and other stories regarding this issue. I will also include my story in to this presentation. I will need you guys to review it and add new info/stories. We can present this to media/senators/general public/youtube/twitter/facebook. Even though we are small in number we can make a voice. Expect this compilation to be done at the end of this month. Meanwhile, as a reminder, please continue to take the effort in voicing your opinions to the senators as well as the media.

thomachan72
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Sorry for missing the action this week. I have been busy with exams and classes. I will be free finally at the end of this month. Whenever I get time, I will be making a presentation compiling facts/data and other stories regarding this issue. I will also include my story in to this presentation. I will need you guys to review it and add new info/stories. We can present this to media/senators/general public/youtube/twitter/facebook. Even though we are small in number we can make a voice. Expect this compilation to be done at the end of this month. Meanwhile, as a reminder, please continue to take the effort in voicing your opinions to the senators as well as the media.

Pappu had requested that affected people contact info at immigrationvoice dot org for a media opportunity I am curious whether anybody contacted him or not? There were atleast 4 people here who had genuine stories, I hope you all contacted him with details? how did it go? is there any progress?

pappu
04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Pappu had requested that affected people contact info at immigrationvoice dot org for a media opportunity I am curious whether anybody contacted him or not? There were atleast 4 people here who had genuine stories, I hope you all contacted him with details? how did it go? is there any progress?

No one yet has come forward with their story, contact details and final guidance for the interview
There was one PM from one member about the interview but after that I do not know if further action was taken.

Folks, you are more closer to the issue than anyone. You need to take the lead.

rego
04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I think we are slowly gaining some exposure.

Attorney Mathew (immigration-law.com) has written a full article highlighting this issue.

Thanks to Attorney Mathew for bringing this up.

http://immigration-law.com

From immigration-law.com:

04/19/2009: Victims of Broken Immigration System - Legal or Illegal Children Accompanied Illegal or Legal Immigrant Parents

* There are a large number of youngster immigrants in this country who have been brought into this country by parents either legally or illegally. They were brought into the country when they were children mostly involuntarily by their parents. As time passes, these youngster assmililate into "Americans" and turn into "American kids" in terms of their behaviors, mentality, culture, and value orientation. These youngsters face one common hardship to return to their mother countries. Culturally, socially, politically, and economically they have turned practically "foreigners" in their mother lands and cannot successfully build a life and survive economically and socially in their countries because they are considered strangers to fit into the stereo-type cultures in these countries.
* In order to give a relief to these youngsters, the Congress passed the Child Status Protect ion Act (CSPA) for the "legal" accompanying children of legal immigrants and the Congress is about to debate and consider the so-called "DREAM Act" bill to relieve such innocent victim "illegal" youngsters from the hardships. As noted earlier, both of them share one common feature: They came to this country not at their choice but parents' choice. As the new Administration and the new Congress are about to initiate the Comprehensive Immigration Reform debate, one of these two groups starts receiving increased attention for their legislative relief, "illegal" youngsters, in the form of a piecemeal DREAM Act legislation or in the form of Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act legislation. These youngsters deserve such legislative relief and we fully support the DREAM Act initiatives.
* However, we want to call the political leaders attention to the predicament of other youngster victims from the nation's broken immigration system - legal youngsters who arrived at this great nation not on their own volition but the decision of the immigrant parents. As time passes, some of these legal youngsters who are practically "American kids" face the difficult destiny of a potential forced departure from the country to their mother land because of the flaws in the current CSPA. The problem starts to surface as they approach the age of 21 because of the increased visa number retrogression and the increasing backlog in processing of the green card applications. The CSPA gives relief to certain youngsters even after they reach 21 years of age, but there are some group of these youngsters who are not eligible for such relief beyond certain limited period of time when their opponuties for green card applications will have to be terminated because of the flaws in the currest CSPA. These practical "American kid" legal youngsters will soon have to be separated from the parents, siblings, close relatives, and friends, completely uprooting their lieves in this country because of the potential forced departure from the U.S. The hardship does not end here for these kids. The real hardship will start from the time these kids are forced to depart from the country and after their arrival at their mother lands. Since culturally, socially, politically, and economically they are strangers with not roots whatsoever in these countries, not to mention the language barriers for some of them, they will have to face a difficult issue of survivality in their "practical foreign" mother lands. At the personal and individual level, this can be a real challenge and threat and almost insurmountable hardship which is caused by none other than their parents and the legal system in this country.
* As the country is about to debate the fate of the innocent youngster victims in the immigration process in the form of DREAM Act and the CIR, the political leaders and legislators should not neglect the other grouip of these "voiceless" innocent victim legal youngsters from the perspectives of correct public policy and humanitarian considerations to give an equal shake in the comprehensive immigration reform.

pappu
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I think we are slowly gaining some exposure.

Attorney Mathew (immigration-law.com) has written a full article highlighting this issue.

Thanks to Attorney Mathew for bringing this up.

I did not see Immigrationvoice.org name. It would have helped if he had posted a link to the thread so that people would have known how to go about making the voices heard. Without any advocacy effort, that post will not have any significance to fix this problem.

i_aged_out
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I am the one who requested Attorney Matthew to write about this issue. I am very thankful of him to bring this issue to light as he is a very busy attorney and he still made some time. I guess I should have sent him this forum link but I'm sure he is too busy to read through these. My next step is....I want to meet Feinstein and ask her for all our support...is this possible ?

Brightsider
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Colorado State Govt. considering this bill and have mejority in state republican and democrats to pass the law that will allow illigal immigrants to be eligible for in-state tuition.

http://www.today.colostate.edu/story.aspx?id=781

Have been reading this thread with anguish. This is an important issue and needs to be taken up. Need to mention two points.

First, I have written to our Senator, more than a week ago. I know, I should have posted on this forum earlier...my bad!

Second, by way of information, let me also add that here in Georgia, children of legal immigrants get in-state tuition if a 485 has been filed for them. Both my children are paying in-state tuition only. However, this is available in state colleges only, it is evident. I had to submit pay stubs and a letter from employer in lieu of employment verification.

Hope it helps.

ganguteli
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I am the one who requested Attorney Matthew to write about this issue. I am very thankful of him to bring this issue to light as he is a very busy attorney and he still made some time. I guess I should have sent him this forum link but I'm sure he is too busy to read through these. My next step is....I want to meet Feinstein and ask her for all our support...is this possible ?

I am busy too. But I still found time to read your thread. I cannot but laugh at your ignorance. Do you really think someone posting on his website will help solve your problem without doing lobbying. You guys could not even get more than 5 people like you and could not even have the courage to have all 5 of you appear for the interview.

I highly doubt you are really facing any problem or are serious about it.

thomachan72
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I am busy too. But I still found time to read your thread. I cannot but laugh at your ignorance. Do you really think someone posting on his website will help solve your problem without doing lobbying. You guys could not even get more than 5 people like you and could not even have the courage to have all 5 of you appear for the interview.

Your post in itself has its answer. "you guys could not even get more than 5 people like you". Yes and that exactly is the problem. This is a very small movment composed of around 5 people. now YOU have to answer the question, Why not more than 5 people support this movment? Is it because a lot of us consider this "not my problem?" Why should I even support this?
let us imagine that a lot of our members had responded with encouragment and support the motivation would have been greater. You cant expect 4-5 people to make a big movment. Except for Pappu very few senior members supported this very significant idea. We are fighting for children.
Watch the ilegals and see how united they are. If our members cannot support this issue do you think simple lobbying will be effective when the CIR eventually roles in? Do you have any hope that there will be any benefits for EB immigrants in the CIR? Wait and see what happens.

indianabacklog
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Appear for interview, what interview? If there was a possibility of highlighting this issue you can be assured all FIVE of us would be there.

Those of us affected try hard to raise the issue on a forum of thousands of employment based immigration applicants and the response is non existent, over and over again.

Have you ever heard the saying 'If you cannot say something positive then say nothing at all'?

Brightsider
04-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Time out, my friend! You have a valid point, and I am not being condescending. However, the issue at hand is serious and needs all the support it can muster. Join in, if you are in agreement, and lend a hand. At the very least, there will be more voices in the chorus.
On the other hand, it could change a lot.

indianabacklog
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM

I do not believe posting the link to IV would have had any more benefit to us than the posting on Matthew Oh's website. I am also thankful to have seen this matter taken up by him in any form whatsoever. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with Richard Lugar face to face but finding it very hard to achieve, every call to his office is stonewalled. It saddens me when the people's representatives never meet those people.

ganguteli
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I do not believe posting the link to IV would have had any more benefit to us than the posting on Matthew Oh's website. I am also thankful to have seen this matter taken up by him in any form whatsoever. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with Richard Lugar face to face but finding it very hard to achieve, every call to his office is stonewalled. It saddens me when the people's representatives never meet those people.

If the link was posted you would have been getting more people to join you on IV. And when more people join you, it means you will succeed. I pity your ignorance and the belief that a post on a lawyer blog is a big achievement.

indianabacklog
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
If the link was posted you would have been getting more people to join you on IV. And when more people join you, it means you will succeed. I pity your ignorance and the belief that a post on a lawyer blog is a big achievement.

At least your rude posts are putting this thread on the front page.

Keep it up, maybe some other people from IV will begin to read it.

Since you consider yourself to be the all knowing on such matters maybe you have some insightful suggestions how just a few sufferers can make as much impact as 12 million illegal immigrants?

Your constructive input would be most welcome.

rego
04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Have been reading this thread with anguish. This is an important issue and needs to be taken up. Need to mention two points.

First, I have written to our Senator, more than a week ago. I know, I should have posted on this forum earlier...my bad!

Second, by way of information, let me also add that here in Georgia, children of legal immigrants get in-state tuition if a 485 has been filed for them. Both my children are paying in-state tuition only. However, this is available in state colleges only, it is evident. I had to submit pay stubs and a letter from employer in lieu of employment verification.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your support.

Yes, it is possible to get in-state tuition even for H4 students in many states. But, they are not eligible for any Financial Assistance in State or Private Universities.

rego
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Appear for interview, what interview? If there was a possibility of highlighting this issue you can be assured all FIVE of us would be there.

Those of us affected try hard to raise the issue on a forum of thousands of employment based immigration applicants and the response is non existent, over and over again.

Have you ever heard the saying 'If you cannot say something positive then say nothing at all'?

Yes, it is disheartening to see the poor response by the thousands of IV members to this critical issue. If everyone wants to participate in only the issues that affect them directly today and do not want to even bother about closely related issues, I foresee no solution to any of our issues in the near future...

thomachan72
04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, it is disheartening to see the poor response by the thousands of IV members to this critical issue. If everyone wants to participate in only the issues that affect them directly today and do not want to even bother about closely related issues, I foresee no solution to any of our issues in the near future...

EXACTLY!! thats exactly what I am thinking. Everybody has their own set of problems and somehow think that only that matters. While the ilegal group has identified all the problems and are tackling every bit of it massively. Ofcourse we are very few but more than that, the support and comradery is very minimal within EB group.

Rego you mentioned your kids were sent to canada for education? do they have canadian PR? citizenship? just curious. My kid is 9 years from the deadline but still these days news about GC have been really frustating. I am thinking other options too. Pls let me know (you could PM me also if you consider that better).

thomachan72
04-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Hallo, is anybody who is either aged out or has kids that will age out soon/near future, willing to talk to a journalist?? The issue will be reported to a wide audience including law makers. Please come forward and let me know. If this particular journalist has already contacted you then I would highly encourage you to provide the necessary information.

rego
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Hallo, is anybody who is either aged out or has kids that will age out soon/near future, willing to talk to a journalist?? The issue will be reported to a wide audience including law makers. Please come forward and let me know. If this particular journalist has already contacted you then I would highly encourage you to provide the necessary information.

I am in the process of talking to this journalist

indianabacklog
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM

I have already spoken with the journalist who send me a private message and am expecting her to speak with my son also in the next couple of days.

thomachan72
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
wonderful. Hope I_aged_out also is able to communicate.

rego
04-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I plan to register a domain name "dreamactforlegalkids.org" to take this forward, anyone interested in running it? I can take care of registering the domain and hosting it in a web server with CPanel

thomachan72
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I plan to register a domain name "dreamactforlegalkids.org" to take this forward, anyone interested in running it? I can take care of registering the domain and hosting it in a web server with CPanel
I am a total zero with computers....but can certainly join you as you get this going. Meanwhile some software experts need to jump in to help rego....software gurus please wake up....

rego
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I will take care of the software side. I will need help in writing in detail and to actively do whatever is needed to bring more people in...

rego
04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
The Web Site is up and running, as promised (dreamactforlegalkids.org).

Now I need contributors for writing stuff that can convey our thoughts effectively.

Please PM me if you can do some writing.

rego
04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I need someone to come up with a nice Mission Statement to appear at the top of the front page of the web site. Please PM me.

thomachan72
04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I need someone to come up with a nice Mission Statement to appear at the top of the front page of the web site. Please PM me.

I will work on it during the weekend. However, others please do their part and we could edit and arrive at the final version.

Brightsider
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
We should be submitting our comments to the DREAM Act articles. College Board had a big release today. There are a few comments on extending it to legal children. We need to express support by submitting comments and writing responses.

The link is
http://blog.globalvisas.com/college-board-supports-dream-act-for-us-immigration-reform.html#comment-3143.

It may be a good idea to spread the word around as much as possible, without worrying about those who do not support

indianabacklog
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I have just posted on the college board site as well.

Brightsider
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Great!
Fortunately, there are quite a few such responses. It may be a good idea to replicate the responses, wherever DREAM Act is discussed

thomachan72
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
this is from his website: Note that there is no mention of "ilegal" here.

DREAM Act

The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, is a narrowly-tailored, bipartisan bill that would provide immigration relief to a select group of students who grew up in the United States, who have good moral character, and who are pursuing a college education or have enlisted in the military. In other words: if you came to the United States before the age of 16, if you have lived in this country for at least five years, if you graduate from high school, and then if you will complete either two years of college or two years of service in the military, we will give you an opportunity for legal status in America. The DREAM Act would also return to states the authority to determine whether to grant in-state tuition to state residents regardless of immigration status.

indianabacklog
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
this is from his website: Note that there is no mention of "ilegal" here.

DREAM Act

The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, is a narrowly-tailored, bipartisan bill that would provide immigration relief to a select group of students who grew up in the United States, who have good moral character, and who are pursuing a college education or have enlisted in the military. In other words: if you came to the United States before the age of 16, if you have lived in this country for at least five years, if you graduate from high school, and then if you will complete either two years of college or two years of service in the military, we will give you an opportunity for legal status in America. The DREAM Act would also return to states the authority to determine whether to grant in-state tuition to state residents regardless of immigration status.

Yes, cleverly written isn't it? Whoever prepared this intro the act thought carefully about every word so as not to be inflammatory, hoping people would not realize who the 'select group of students' actually are.

i-serf
04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been actively participating in online activities including sending mails to Representatives, ACLU activities etc, and I would love to help with content and writing.

Brightsider
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I have been actively participating in online activities including sending mails to Representatives, ACLU activities etc, and I would love to help with content and writing.

Superb!
Silly of me to say that, since you have been longer on immigration voice than the recent me.
However, we need to keep appraising everybody about the need to include legal children in the legislation, whenever and wherever we find articles on the DREAM Act and reader responses.

rego
04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, cleverly written isn't it? Whoever prepared this intro the act thought carefully about every word so as not to be inflammatory, hoping people would not realize who the 'select group of students' actually are.

Look at the actual text of the act to see who the select group of students are:

"SEC. 4. CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL AND ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF CERTAIN LONG-TERM RESIDENTS WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES AS CHILDREN.

(a) Special Rule for Certain Long-Term Residents Who Entered the United States as Children-

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--"

rego
04-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Great! Please PM me with whatever you can come up with.

thomachan72
04-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Look at the actual text of the act to see who the select group of students are:

"SEC. 4. CANCELLATION OF REMOVAL AND ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS OF CERTAIN LONG-TERM RESIDENTS WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES AS CHILDREN.

(a) Special Rule for Certain Long-Term Residents Who Entered the United States as Children-

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--"
Now what does that mean?? They would become what legal kids are now? the only difference being; legal kids age out and ilegal kids never age out.
The problem we face is: This new adjustment of status applications will be considered independent, unlike those of our kids who are linked to the parents application.

to be completely safe an entirely new section has to be added:
the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; an alien who lawfully entered the US prior to attaining 16 years of age on a dependent visa subject to the conditional basis described in section 5 if the alien demonstrates that bla bla bla......

indianabacklog
04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Now what does that mean?? They would become what legal kids are now? the only difference being; legal kids age out and ilegal kids never age out.
The problem we face is: This new adjustment of status applications will be considered independent, unlike those of our kids who are linked to the parents application.

to be completely safe an entirely new section has to be added:
the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; an alien who lawfully entered the US prior to attaining 16 years of age on a dependent visa subject to the conditional basis described in section 5 if the alien demonstrates that bla bla bla......

It sounds so simple when you put it like that. You are correct of course since if the act is not clarified it is left open to interpretation and we know how that has helped the current immigration system?

With regard to writing for the new website I honestly would have little time to write from scratch (have two jobs to keep up with tuition costs for my aged out son) but would be happy to edit anything submitted. I assist with scientific writing in my real job so do loads of editing and proof reading. If that would help count me in.

rego
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

legal_dream
07-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I recently found this forum and was unaware that Dream Act is only limited to illegal immigrants. I aged out in 2007 and had to finish bachelor's in EE while paying international fees and after graduation i have had to endure this troubling economy. I recently applied to masters so that i can keep my status active and was pinning my hopes on this bill. So can anyone please let me know for certain if i am covered under this dream act.

Thanks and please let me know if you guys will need any help.

Also i heard that dream act/cir were going to become major issues come September.

indianabacklog
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Of course it would be more helpful it this thread were continually active but the aging out issue is not high on too many agendas.

I can certainly tell you that the DREAM act deliberatly excludes young people such as yourself and my own son. A number of us continually write to people that can change things asking for some relief for those who aged out. Maybe one of them will listen one day.

In the mean time do not hold your breath for the Labor Day immigration bill that Charles Schumer is working on. So far there is little indication it will have any effect on legal immigration at all.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/politics/what-about-us-dream-act-1234?article_page=2

You might be interested in this article which appeared recently in an online publication. You will probably be shocked to see the hatred that exists for young people like you who those who broke the law since they think you have it all easy.

rego
09-17-2010, 08:38 PM
This article contains interviews from some of the members active in this thread.

It looks like there is a chance that the DREAM act may be brought in Senate next week without amendments. If it passes, it is left to the USCIS to interpret and allow legal kids also to be eligible. There is some info here: Dreamactforlegalkids.org