PDA

View Full Version : People with PERM delays

thomachan72
04-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Hallo Everybody,
I wanted to start a new thread for people with dalays in PERM processing since previous threads are >year old and not frequently visited now. If still there are sufficient number of people here, we could together plan something. Please post here with the approx month of application and any other details possible.

longwait4gc
04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Does any one know why is the perm processing taking longer now?
Is it because of administrative issues or economy?

seebi
04-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Does any one know why is the perm processing taking longer now?
Is it because of administrative issues or economy?
I do personally know a person who has been waiting for a response on her PERM application that was submitted in Oct 2007. I don't know if there are anymore people like this, but is there anything that one can do to get a response on their PERM applications especially when it has been more than 18 months since it was applied?

seebi
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
^^^^

GCAmigo
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I do personally know a person who has been waiting for a response on her PERM application that was submitted in Oct 2007. I don't know if there are anymore people like this, but is there anything that one can do to get a response on their PERM applications especially when it has been more than 18 months since it was applied ?

Mine is rotting in Atlanta since Nov'07!

~GCA

seebi
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Ushakiran, I do not agree with you that faster PERM processing caused this backlog for Indians and Chinese professionals. Agreed that we cannot do much in terms of applying for AOS if the PERM is approved today, but that does not mean that one cannot worry about the PERM application which is pending for over 18 months. There needs to be some resolution to your application. I see that you are waiting for only 6 months now and lets see if you will have the same outlook if you have to wait for 2 more years just for PERM resolution.
Anyway, Biggest reason for the current backlog is not due to faster PERM processing but due to many steps that USCIS has done in the last few years which include visa wastage, not processing application in the order they were recieved etc. So lets contribute to IV efforts and try to push for visa recapture and other efforts to help all of out.

jemmus
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
DOL's PERM processing times announced on 3/20/09:
No Audit: July 2008
Audit: September 2007
Appeal: June 2007

Reasons for the delays, according to DOL in February 2009:
-Chicago processing center closed in June 2007. Tens of thousands of open cases transferred to the one remaining center in Atlanta.
-No Audit PERMs are processed by contractors. In August 2008 the contractor agency lost its contract; PERM review staff contractors departed. DOL began training contractors from a new agency. First agency sued, got its contract reinstated. Trainee contractors departed, first agency provided new contractors. Training started again. It wasn't until Jan. 2009 that DOL said it was on track again.
-DOL's current focus is on implementing the new iCert online filing system for LCAs and PERMs. In recent months they're not saying a word about the PERM delays; all their announcements are about iCert.
-Audit PERMs must be reviewed by tenured DOL officers, not contractors. They only have a few of them. Meanwhile DOL is issuing more audits than before. Thus there seems to be an ever-growing backlog of audit cases.
-In response to complaints on slow PERM processing times, the Director of DOL ETA (the PERM unit) says: Our job is to ensure that U.S. workers were given a chance to fill the position described in the PERM. However long it takes to do that is how long we're going to take to process a PERM. He's also said that the agency thinks it odd that employers keep filing PERMs, even given the current high unemployment rates and worker availability in the U.S. He's also said employers should expect more cases going into supervised recruitment.

In short, it looks like two things are causing delays with PERM processing:
a) Administrative complications and a new admin project within DOL ETA;
b) The U.S. job market downturn, and DOL ETA's resulting dim view of PERMs.
Regarding b), it was like this after the big tech market bust around 2001. DOL was suspicious of all the PERMs and reviewing them with a microscope. The best we could hope for was that the application wouldn't go into supervised recruitment and that the economic and employment rates would pick up. It looks like the same thing now-- the best thing is probably just to be patient, hold tight, and be thankful that you can work on H-1B indefinitely while the PERM is pending.