PDA

View Full Version : how can I help HR in understanding PERM process

jkamel5
04-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi,
My company is willing to sponsor me for GC and pay half lawyer fees. They thought that I am filing for EB1-OR. However my lawyer advised me to go with EB2+PERM. The problem is that out HR has no idea about this process and about the advertise .. etc. I also do not have enough knowledge. Any advise about how can I summarize simply what they need to do? I wish lawyer do everything and the company only pay.

Is the lawyer usually responsible for the job posting and job description.. etc?
How much effort and work our HR has to make?

Thanks

GCNirvana007
04-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi,
My company is willing to sponsor me for GC and pay half lawyer fees. They thought that I am filing for EB1-OR. However my lawyer advised me to go with EB2+PERM. The problem is that out HR has no idea about this process and about the advertise .. etc. I also do not have enough knowledge. Any advise about how can I summarize simply what they need to do? I wish lawyer do everything and the company only pay.

Is the lawyer usually responsible for the job posting and job description.. etc?
How much effort and work our HR has to make?

Thanks

If they already hold your H1B, why advertise?. I am confused.

qasleuth
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM

Looks like our memories are fading waiting to get a GC without reaching our 90s :). To get through the first stage of GC process (PERM or previously RIR), the sponsor has to make a good faith effort to find a local citizen or PR by posting the job out in the open.

jkamel5, if you hired an immigration attorney, the person should know the process. If he/she does not then I suggest you get a new one who knows immigration laws. There are laws on what the sponsor or the employee can pay towards processing a GC. Your role, your attorneys and employer's roles in the process are also defined by law. Do not inadvertently break any laws. If you are not aware of them then the first step is to hire an immigration attorney (and also do research online for your own benefit). Once you are familiar with the process then dealing with HR becomes a breeze. Google for "green card process" and you will find tons of resources (I'd guess this is the first step before hiring an attorney).

GCNirvana007
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Looks like our memories are fading waiting to get a GC without reaching our 90s :). To get through the first stage of GC process (PERM or previously RIR), the sponsor has to make a good faith effort to find a local citizen or PR by posting the job out in the open.

jkamel5, if you hired an immigration attorney, the person should know the process. If he/she does not then I suggest you get a new one who knows immigration laws. There are laws on what the sponsor or the employee can pay towards processing a GC. Your role, your attorneys and employer's roles in the process are also defined by law. Do not inadvertently break any laws. If you are not aware of them then the first step is to hire an immigration attorney (and also do research online for your own benefit). Once you are familiar with the process then dealing with HR becomes a breeze. Google for "green card process" and you will find tons of resources (I'd guess this is the first step before hiring an attorney).

Tell me about it :p

jkamel5
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM

GCNirvana007
Could you please clarify what do you mean by "if they hold me for H1B why advertise?"

Yes the company sponsor me for H1B however I believe that to apply for GC through PERM, the company has to advertise? am I right?
Thanks,
John