PDA

View Full Version : Write to your Senator and Obama

mmj
04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I will be sending the following note to my senator and have already posted it to WhiteHouse.gov. I urge all those screwed by the ongoing retrogression to do the same.

"I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are unfair and totally illogical. When I immigrated to the US, I believed that this country was a meritocracy where you were judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas reward people depending on where they or their ancestors were born. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in half that time.

Since these EB category based green cards are awarded for professional skills, imposing a country based quota just does not make any sense. I urge you to work with Congress and change this discriminatory policy and reinforce that America is truly a society that celebrates meritocracy."

suriajay12
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I will be sending the following note to my senator and have already posted it to WhiteHouse.gov. I urge all those screwed by the ongoing retrogression to do the same.

"I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are unfair and totally illogical. When I immigrated to the US, I believed that this country was a meritocracy where you were judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas reward people depending on where they or their ancestors were born. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in half that time.

Since these EB category based green cards are awarded for professional skills, imposing a country based quota just does not make any sense. I urge you to work with Congress and change this discriminatory policy and reinforce that America is truly a society that celebrates meritocracy."

You said "This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in half that time."

Please change the last part "in half that time" to "as short as 1 year".

mmj
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Please feel free to edit whatever you like :)
But do post it to WhiteHouse.gov and send a letter to your Senator

ganguteli
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM

You joined today just to post this?
Dude you need to first fill your profile details and earn some credibility before you ask people to do something.

ilikekilo
04-19-2009, 04:44 PM

welcome to IV and thanks for your post. Please join our collective efforts starting with sending your lawyer an email to contact IV if they are interested for their banner display. Additionally you could consider contributing to IV, thus becoming a donor and get more updates as well and participate in our attempt to address burning issues we have that affect almost all immigrants like you and me.

any questions just ask someone might try answer...

also please take a moment to update your profile as well as that data will help us all

mmj
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
You joined today just to post this?
Dude you need to first fill your profile details and earn some credibility before you ask people to do something.

Hey Bozo - I've been following IV for about 2 years now using my spouse's ID - I just created one for myself today - My wife and I have contributed to IV also. Know the facts before shooting your mouth off - NUT JOB!!!

Nil
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Good job mmj.
Pls provide your details and participate actively.
Request you to donate as well if you have not already.

mmj
04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Good job mmj.
Pls provide your details and participate actively.
Request you to donate as well if you have not already.

We've already donated to IV in the past.

Nil
04-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Gentlemen,

Pls let us get over this and get back to real work.
Writing to the whitehouse is a good idea.
So is filling up one's details and donating for the cause.

kevin08
04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey Bozo - I've been following IV for about 2 years now using my spouse's ID - I just created one for myself today - My wife and I have contributed to IV also. Know the facts before shooting your mouth off - NUT JOB!!!

Why not to use that very same ID you have been using for 2 years to post this one also? That way others will know you have been a member and also contributed in the past. No confusion and peace.

mmj
04-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Why not to use that very same ID you have been using for 2 years to post this one also? That way others will know you have been a member and also contributed in the past. No confusion and peace.

Man - U guys love to quibble about stupid things rather than focus on the big picture. All my thread says is - I'm doing X .... Please consider doing it as well if you think it is worth your while ... Thats it - Nothing more - nothing less. And here we're having a discussion about how long I've been a member of IV and yada yada yada ...

snathan
04-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Man - U guys love to quibble about stupid things rather than focus on the big picture. All my thread says is - I'm doing X .... Please consider doing it as well if you think it is worth your while ... Thats it - Nothing more - nothing less. And here we're having a discussion about how long I've been a member of IV and yada yada yada ...

Thanks for doing this. I would suggest you to collect more data with real life stories and create a template, post it here. Then everyone can send the same to senator and white house. Anyway thanks for your work

mmj
04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for doing this. I would suggest you to collect more data with real life stories and create a template, post it here. Then everyone can send the same to senator and white house. Anyway thanks for your work

I'm done. I posted whatever I had on WhiteHouse.gov and wrote to my Senator. I think the strength is in numbers - so the effectiveness of this depends on the number of people that write in - Even if people dont include their personal stories, just the fact that you will include your address when you write to your senator makes it personal. Just my 2 cents!!!

mirage
04-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Good Job, I have already written this to my senators earlier, but wrote to WhiteHouse.gov today.....

hiralal
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
good effort and a superb reply

glus
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
I just wrote to the White House. I asked to Fix the LEGAL immigration system and I wrote why. It is so easy, just go here http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/ and write to the U.S. president. If they receive 5000 of letters of same content, I am sure they will pass it on to the President.

Best Regards,

kevin08
04-19-2009, 11:09 PM

good effort and a superb reply

looivy
04-20-2009, 03:13 AM
I also sent my letter to WH today.
Good job MMJ.

neelu
04-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Me too.

I added some facts about how much I paid in SSN, Medicare, Fed and State taxes (in the last 10 years that I have been here) as well as some detail about what I'm contributing (patent pending) to this country. Another thing I mentioned was about my volunteering during the 2008 campaign (implying that I would be voting for the president's party if I ever become a US citizen in 2050 :~).

Thank you, MMJ, for taking the initiative.

I also sent my letter to WH today.
Good job MMJ.

glus
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Guys, let's send more letters to the White House. Good, free initiative.

mmj
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks Neelu! Now if only we can get another 50,000 people to do the same :)

Me too.

I added some facts about how much I paid in SSN, Medicare, Fed and State taxes (in the last 10 years that I have been here) as well as some detail about what I'm contributing (patent pending) to this country. Another thing I mentioned was about my volunteering during the 2008 campaign (implying that I would be voting for the president's party if I ever become a US citizen in 2050 :~).

Thank you, MMJ, for taking the initiative.

GCKaMaara
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Very good initiative.

sundarpn
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Hello Neelu,

Can you share the draft of your modified letter?

thx.

jsb
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM

It is very good, brief and to the point. Just a little comment. Expand EB to Employment Based, and "half that time" to "fraction of that time". Also, add a sentence making reference to lost visas due to USCIS inefficiency (which has a greater chance of getting through) to be captured and used.

Must be posted in a very large number to get attention.

IfYouSeekAmy
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Good luck with this effort since you are already fighting among yourselves! :D

neelu
04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Here's what I sent...

I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?p=335690#) Based green cards are unfair and totally illogical. When I immigrated to the US, I believed that this country was a meritocracy where you were judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas reward people depending on where they or their ancestors were born. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in a very short time (about an year).

Since these EB category based green cards are awarded for professional skills, imposing a country based quota just does not make any sense. I urge you to work with Congress and change this unfair policy and reinforce that America is truly a society that celebrates meritocracy.

About me:
I have been in the US for over 10 years. I work for company ABC, for which I am happy to say, I recently wrote an algorithm (patent pending) which brought in about 10 million dollars worth of contracts to my company.

I have paid $xyzn federal taxes, $xyz in state taxes, $xyz in medicare taxes & $xyz in SSN taxes over the last 10 years. There are my monetary contributions to this country.

I was privileged to have volunteered in your 2008 presidential campaign. I was and am inspired by the new politics and policies that you talked about. A legal immigration fix is something that is low cost high benefit for the country - so I implore you to make this a high priority.

Thank you.

Hello Neelu,

Can you share the draft of your modified letter?

thx.

jsb
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Good luck with this effort since you are already fighting among yourselves! :D
Sorry, who is fighting with who? Members are only telling what they wrote and/or what they believe might help.

abqguy
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I like this. Simple and straight to the point. Will use this as a template and make changes. Thank you.

GCOP
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Friends,
The previous post has a very good draft, but in addition, we should add recapture of unused visas. Let's hope for the best. Thanks

sundarpn
04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
The person looking at this letter might spend like 10 to 15 seconds glancing at it.

So we need to include like a subject line that in one sentence or two captures the essence of our issue(s). Something like:

Subject: LEGAL Skilled Immigrants - Issues faced with Employment Based (EB) Green Card process.

jthomas
04-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The person looking at this letter might spend like 10 to 15 seconds glancing at it.

So we need to include like a subject line that in one sentence or two captures the essence of our issue(s). Something like:

Subject: LEGAL Skilled Immigrants - Issues faced with Employment Based (EB) Green Card process.

I liked the above 2 letters. If some one can frame a good letter, we can all send the letter to the senators as well as white house. Also we can get our state chapters involved and post all the letters within 2 weeks.

Thanks for the initiative. mmj

abqguy
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Just wrote to whitehouse and to my senator.

mmj
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks! Now we need 49,995 more :)

Just wrote to whitehouse and to my senator.

mmj
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Come on people - This is so easy to do - Simply cut and paste the letter below to http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/Contact at the very least.

"I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are unfair and totally illogical. When I immigrated to the US, I believed that this country was a meritocracy where you were judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas reward people depending on where they or their ancestors were born. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in less than half that time.

Pagal
04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Posted the letter to whitehouse address with the following contents:

"I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are unfair and illogical. I came to the US with the belief that this country is a meritocracy where you are judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas judge people based on their place of birth. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in a fraction of that time. Lack of permanent residency has made me hesitant to buy a house or to do any long term investments in US and I want to get out of this limbo at the earliest.

My requests to you are:
1. Eliminate country level quota on Green Cards (to reduce the backlog of permanent resident applicants)
2. Recapture unused permanent visa numbers from the past (to allow USCIS to issue permanent visas to eligible applicants whose applications have been processed and pre-adjudicated)
3. Issue 5-year EAD cards (to reduce workload on USCIS of administrative renewals)
4. Issue 5-year Advanced Parole document (to allow people like me stuck in the backlog to travel back and forth from USA without having to renew AP every year)

I believe in President's slogan "Yes, we can!"."

globaldesi
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I want to bring out the plight of legal immigrant community that has been silently suffering the consequences of a broken immigration system. It really baffles me that all the focus in immigration debate is on ILLEGALS when highly educated LEGAL immigrants who play by the rules, pay taxes and follow the law are left in the lurch. Attending to legal immigrants plight will also send a positive signal to the ILLEGAL community to see the perks of being LEGAL. Right now, it seems more rewarding to be ILLEGAL than pursue the LEGAL route towards immigration. What an irony!
The country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are not only unfair but self defeating because the benchmark is country of origin and not qualification! Since these EB category based green cards are awarded for professional skills, imposing a country based quota just does not make any sense. I urge you to work with Congress and change this discriminatory policy and reinforce that America is truly a society that celebrates meritocracy.
The immigrant community is really looking at President Obama to deliver on his promise of CHANGE - Change that we can believe in.

hunv
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I wanted to send message also.Do you recommend giving original deatils on the form when sending message to white house and senators.

Thanks

globaldesi
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I wanted to send message also.Do you recommend giving original deatils on the form when sending message to white house and senators.

Thanks
I just provided a legit email address and name....you don't have to provide address and phone number.

Pagal
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Thanks

I provided all details including my address, email, phone etc....

goel_ar
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Instead of sending emails, wouldn't it be better to send USPS mail or faxes?

I have sent electronic forms to state senators & whitehouse.gov.

hiralal
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I want to bring out the plight of legal immigrant community that has been silently suffering the consequences of a broken immigration system. It really baffles me that all the focus in immigration debate is on ILLEGALS when highly educated LEGAL immigrants who play by the rules, pay taxes and follow the law are left in the lurch. Attending to legal immigrants plight will also send a positive signal to the ILLEGAL community to see the perks of being LEGAL. Right now, it seems more rewarding to be ILLEGAL than pursue the LEGAL route towards immigration. What an irony!
The country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are not only unfair but self defeating because the benchmark is country of origin and not qualification! Since these EB category based green cards are awarded for professional skills, imposing a country based quota just does not make any sense. I urge you to work with Congress and change this discriminatory policy and reinforce that America is truly a society that celebrates meritocracy.
The immigrant community is really looking at President Obama to deliver on his promise of CHANGE - Change that we can believe in.
good initiative ..I have sent the email and I will be asking my wife to call all her friends and spread the word. guys do the same.
I also mentioned that I wanted to buy a house since a long long time but I cannot buy because of gc delays

mmj
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Any means of sending this would be helpful. Lets make it as easy as possible for people. For now - lets see if we can get over a 1000 people to do this.

Ideally in addition to posting your letter on www.WhiteHouse.gov/Contact, it would help if you send a letter to your Senators office as well.

Instead of sending emails, wouldn't it be better to send USPS mail or faxes?

I have sent electronic forms to state senators & whitehouse.gov.

bsbawa10
04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Did some customization and sent my version.

hiralal
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
friends please mention that GC delay is preventing you from buying a house and other related investments ..who knows this may catch their attention

hiralal
04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
bump up the thread ...or if you are a homeowner ..say that visa delays may cause your house to be foreclosed ..and this will add one more house in the huge inventory. either way faster legal immigration helps US in many ways

vivid_bharti
04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Only 10-15 people responded to this thread, you start something useless, people will pound on it, there are more people to criticize & preach here than to do real work...

mmj
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks hiralal for keeping this thread going - Whats up people - This is the simplest thing that you can do for yourself.

bump up the thread ...or if you are a homeowner ..say that visa delays may cause your house to be foreclosed ..and this will add one more house in the huge inventory. either way faster legal immigration helps US in many ways

lc1978
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Just wrote to white house and to my senator.
Thanks n appreciate for initiating.

bbct
04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I copied your content to post on the whitehouse.gov website. Thank you.

Emailed the same also to my local Congresswomen.

Posted the letter to whitehouse address with the following contents:

"I am writing to inform you of how the country based quotas imposed on Employment Based green cards are unfair and illogical. I came to the US with the belief that this country is a meritocracy where you are judged based on your abilities and qualities. These country based quotas judge people based on their place of birth. This causes people from India and China to wait over a decade to get a green card whereas someone from another country with similar or lesser abilities can obtain permanent residence in a fraction of that time. Lack of permanent residency has made me hesitant to buy a house or to do any long term investments in US and I want to get out of this limbo at the earliest.

My requests to you are:
1. Eliminate country level quota on Green Cards (to reduce the backlog of permanent resident applicants)
2. Recapture unused permanent visa numbers from the past (to allow USCIS to issue permanent visas to eligible applicants whose applications have been processed and pre-adjudicated)
3. Issue 5-year EAD cards (to reduce workload on USCIS of administrative renewals)
4. Issue 5-year Advanced Parole document (to allow people like me stuck in the backlog to travel back and forth from USA without having to renew AP every year)

I believe in President's slogan "Yes, we can!"."

gauravster
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I wrote on the Whitehouse link. Also added a personal story. I will also mail this to all the congressman and senators of NJ/NY.

GCOP
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I just wrote to the President on the link
http://www.whitehouse.gov/Contact/

I will also write to the Member of Congress and Senators of my State.

hiralal
04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure anything happens with these letters etc. We need something more concrete, something that grabs attention. Last time we did the flower campain, this time we need to do something different again. My idea was the two cents campaign (link in sig). But I'm sure you all have your ideas too and if we can come up with something unique that would be great. We need something more than just letters to the whitehouse. Maybe we can pick just one senator each week or each month or congressman who does not support legal immigration bills and send letters to him/her in co-ordination. If one person gets 1000 letters on the same day about a topic it might make the news?
definitely ..and I am sure lot of people agree ..flowers, marching etc is much better ..but till we get to that point ..let us send emails / letters atleast ...something better than nothing !!

mmj
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Amen!!!

definitely ..and i am sure lot of people agree ..flowers, marching etc is much better ..but till we get to that point ..let us send emails / letters atleast ...something better than nothing !!

hiralal
04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
friends ..are we giving up before even trying ??? this is the least that we can do ..just write that you are a skilled legal immigrant with american kids. you have followed all the rules for 6-8 years ..waiting for a GC so that you can buy a house (or if you have a house then there is a danger that it will go in foreclosure because of GC delays) ..few minutes is all that is needed

sri1309
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Wrote to them once again.. Keep writing..

indiangcseeker
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Wrote to White House and to local Senators.

scorpion00
04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Done. just sent to white house and local senator.

mmj
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
If this the kind of response we get for something as simple to do as this - either people have stopped visiting these forums or just plain not interested in doing anything about the situation they are in.

vivid_bharti
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
People are thinking they give $100-$200 or $1000 to IV and their duty is done, they have no clue what we are up against...

mmj
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I think 90% of the people are doing nothing :(

People are thinking they give $100-$200 or $1000 to IV and their duty is done, they have no clue what we are up against...

mmj
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I guess since no one wants to do anything about their situation - we can all sit back and wait for another 4-5 years and hope that we get a green card at that time since that is the amount of time it is going to take most of us if nothing was to change in the current process. Good luck to ALL and Happy Waiting :)

Nil
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Guys,

Pls do not lose heart.
speaking for myself, i have tried to remain active, but suddenly got swamped with a huge work-load.
in this economy, performance is a matter of survival. Not to say that we should accept immigration to be a luxury.

It is a pity i had to miss the donor's telecon last week, simply as i was still working.

So bottom line: there are still people who are willing to participate and active, but it is a matter of immediate priorities.

Let us keep up the spirit and keep working....

mmj
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
We need the numbers to make anything happen - if something as simple as cutting and pasting a letter cannot generate more than 20 participants when priority dates have become Unavailable again atleast for EB3I - I dont expect anything anymore to happen in the future. JUST BEING REALISTIC!!!

Guys,

Pls do not lose heart.
speaking for myself, i have tried to remain active, but suddenly got swamped with a huge work-load.
in this economy, performance is a matter of survival. Not to say that we should accept immigration to be a luxury.

It is a pity i had to miss the donor's telecon last week, simply as i was still working.

So bottom line: there are still people who are willing to participate and active, but it is a matter of immediate priorities.

Let us keep up the spirit and keep working....

Nil
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
do we have a real poll number: how many have actually send it?
i did.
probably many others did as well. need to know....

mmj
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Look at the number of people who posted messages to this thread .... even if you say 4 times that number of people posted messages to WhiteHouse.gov it is no where close to the numbers we need .... Lets not kid ourselves - Unless there is a miracle - most of us are looking at aleast another 3-4 year wait :(

do we have a real poll number: how many have actually send it?
i did.
probably many others did as well. need to know....

vivid_bharti
04-28-2009, 08:48 AM
not "most"!! only few have a wait of 3-4 years, most have a wait of over a decade....the numbers of applications pending at AOS stage at USCIS is scaryLook at the number of people who posted messages to this thread .... even if you say 4 times that number of people posted messages to WhiteHouse.gov it is no where close to the numbers we need .... Lets not kid ourselves - Unless there is a miracle - most of us are looking at aleast another 3-4 year wait :(

mmj
04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah - I should have clarified that when I said most - I was refering to people whose PD is before 2006.

not "most"!! only few have a wait of 3-4 years, most have a wait of over a decade....the numbers of applications pending at AOS stage at USCIS is scary