PDA

View Full Version : How to approach I-485 Situation

12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

MY pD is current, lawyers are filing it and looks like it will be filed in next couple of days. My mother is ill, hopefully not in a dire condition, but I would like to go and see her.

I spoke to my lawyers and they said the AP can't be expedited so I am thinking of going to the senator's office to see what they can do. But I don't think I can go without the receipt number, with the holidays coming do you think I will get the receipt number from USCIS before the end of the month. If so then I can go to the senator's office in Jan first week and hopefully get the AP faster. I am in H4 now and have not left the country so no stamping on the passport.

Do you think I will need to take a doctors certificate to the senator's office,will they be able to help, can I go without the receipt number after submission of the application?
The other option is infopass, but I am not sure if they will issue AP.

belmontboy
12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

MY pD is current, lawyers are filing it and looks like it will be filed in next couple of days. My mother is ill, hopefully not in a dire condition, but I would like to go and see her.

I spoke to my lawyers and they said the AP can't be expedited so I am thinking of going to the senator's office to see what they can do. But I don't think I can go without the receipt number, with the holidays coming do you think I will get the receipt number from USCIS before the end of the month. If so then I can go to the senator's office in Jan first week and hopefully get the AP faster. I am in H4 now and have not left the country so no stamping on the passport.

Do you think I will need to take a doctors certificate to the senator's office,will they be able to help, can I go without the receipt number after submission of the application?

You don't need AP to exit the country. You need AP to re-enter the country.
If you can file, your spouse can fedex you AP.
Be aware that you must be present for Biometrics, which usually happens before AP is approved.

krishmunn
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
You don't need AP to exit the country. You need AP to re-enter the country.
If you can file, your spouse can fedex you AP.
Be aware that you must be present for Biometrics, which usually happens before AP is approved.

This is not right. OP must posses AP while leaving the country. It cannot be mailed.

What can be done is , take an Infopass and meet a CIS official with letter from hospital / attending doctor. The alternative is to get your H4 stamped while travelling

12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Biometrics before AP? How long will that take. I though that after submitting application it takes around 3 months to get AP in hand, does the biometric is included in this time frame.

I don't want to take a chance with h4 stamping hence the wait for AP.
I know info pass is a hit or a miss that's why the senator route I was thinking. Is this something that the senator can or cannot do?

Can someone provide the steps after submission of I-485.... like

I-485 submitted then how long before you get receipt or case number so you can check status online.... then what happens next etc with approx timeline.

jackrock79
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Biometrics before AP? How long will that take. I though that after submitting application it takes around 3 months to get AP in hand, does the biometric is included in this time frame.

I don't want to take a chance with h4 stamping hence the wait for AP.
I know info pass is a hit or a miss that's why the senator route I was thinking. Is this something that the senator can or cannot do?

Can someone provide the steps after submission of I-485.... like

I-485 submitted then how long before you get receipt or case number so you can check status online.... then what happens next etc with approx timeline.

A week for receipt notice
Biometrics is scheduled by the USCIS usually 3 weeks ahead.
Currently its taking 3 months for the approval.

jackrock79
12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
check this thread
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum70-self-filing-documents-forms-directions-mailing/2553693-emergency-advance-parole-father-is-ill.html

Arctic57
12-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Pretty nice thread. Thanks for sharing!

hiralal
12-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

instead of going through all this ...why not go and enter the country using what ever you have (H1 - I guess). you can tell the lawyer to postpone filing (assuming that your dates will not retrogress - which can always happen) ...there is a risk there but you need to get your priorities in order