PDA

View Full Version : Send Fax to Congress BY AILA

Openarms
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I got this email from AILA, I think we can make this a success.... are they trying to do CIR again?? letter is below
===============

We have some big news.

This week, hundreds of allied organizations launched the campaign to Reform Immigration FOR America in cities all across the country -- from Los Angeles to Maine, Miami to Seattle. Today, a broad coalition of allies from labor, business, and community groups officially kicked off the national campaign in Washington, DC. The American Immigration Lawyers Association is a part of this exciting grassroots movement to reform immigration, and we invite you to join us.

On June 4th, over 700 advocates are descending on Capitol Hill to tell Congress:

"We cannot wait any longer. America needs to reform immigration now."
We can't afford to fly you out to DC to join them in person, but we can give you a 1-click way to make sure we have impact. Please take 30 seconds to send a (free) fax to your Senators, Representative, and Congressional leadership right now

http://www.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/?p=AILA

Then please forward this to friends and family. Our goal is to back up those 700 advocates on the Hill with 2,500 phone calls and 20,000 faxes.

Here's our thinking: President Obama has said reforming the immigration system is a priority for him. But it's going to take more than just having the President on our side to win. We need 279 votes to pass comprehensive immigration reform: 218 US Representatives + 60 Senators + the President's signature. So over the coming months, we're going to be asking you to help us flood Congress and the White House with faxes, calls, emails, and visits to say (each in our own way):

Our economy and thousands of families are suffering under the burden of a broken system. The time has come for just and humane immigration reform. We cannot wait any longer.

Together, we can make this happen.

Marshall Fitz
Director of Advocacy
American Immigration Lawyers Association
==========

glus
06-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I got the same letter too and was about to post it here. I think we need to push and fax. I have faxed my senators already.

glus
06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
GUYS,
PLEASE VISIT THIS LINK, TYPE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND ADDRESS AND IT WILL SEND A FAX TO CONGRESS ON YOUR BEHALF TO SUPPORT IMMIGRATION REFORM.

I JUST DID IT AND IT TOOK ME ONLY 1 MINUTE TO DO SO. THEY SAY THEY NEED 20,000 FAXES TO BE SENT BEFORE JUN 8 TO HAVE A SUCCESS.

BEST REGARDS,

glus
06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
great! thanx. , lets keep this thread up and running ;-)

akhilmahajan
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I had already faxed and left a message to my senators office. Hoping to hear soon from them.

Leo07
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Hope this turns out well...

glus
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
GUYS,
PLEASE VISIT THIS LINK, TYPE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND ADDRESS AND IT WILL SEND A FAX TO CONGRESS ON YOUR BEHALF TO SUPPORT IMMIGRATION REFORM.

I JUST DID IT AND IT TOOK ME ONLY 1 MINUTE TO DO SO. THEY SAY THEY NEED 20,000 FAXES TO BE SENT BEFORE JUN 8 TO HAVE A SUCCESS.

BEST REGARDS,

akscjun
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
done. also added the link on my twitter page http://twitter.com/akscjun

Openarms
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
yes we need to support this cause but do we know exactly what they are pushing for??? need to explore details though..

sanatshah
06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
done

globaldesi
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I have done that for me and my wife too!

bbct
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Faxed

pmat
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I skimmed through their website. More than 90% of it is regarding giving a path to illegal/undocumented workers for establishing permanent residence. There is one point that seems to be somewhat helpful to legal immigrants like us:

"Allocate sufficient visas to close unlawful migration channels. One of the great failures of our current system is that the level of legal immigration is set arbitrarily by Congress—as a product of political compromise. The allocation of employment visas to workers should be depoliticized and placed in the hands of an independent commission that can assess labor shortages and determine the number and characteristics of foreign workers to be admitted, with Congress's approval."

But it seems to be far-fetched and I am not very clear whether it will help us. So, I haven't sent a FAX - Please let me know if you think otherwise... To me, it seems like a path to an excellent business opportunity for AILA lawyers :)

pmat
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Instead of supporting this campaign, we should be mailing to AILA (or whoever is running this campaign) to include our goals such as visa recapture and removing country quota. Then we will support this campaign and send the fax as requested.

bigboy007
06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
It doesnt hurt to ask just sent an email.. hope I will get a response

Instead of supporting this campaign, we should be mailing to AILA (or whoever is running this campaign) to include our goals such as visa recapture and removing country quota. Then we will support this campaign and send the fax as requested.

glus
06-03-2009, 11:10 AM

AILA wants to show how many people supported CIR and that's why it will count. If they show 20,000 or more within a few days, that will make an impression. Their primary goal is to show to the U.S. congress how many people had faxed and contacted the Congress regarding this. This is why they want people to send faxes before Jun 8. On Jun 8 there is a meeting in DC regarding CIR. Please fax if you can. Thank you.

glus
06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Guys, please e-fax congress via AILA here: It takes a minute to do so.

Openarms
06-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Look at the below excerpt from their website, it looks
"
One of the challenges American businesses face today is the aging American workforce, the rapid retirement of the large Baby Boomer generation. To maintain a balanced and a stable workforce, American businesses must find younger workers, especially in manual labor jobs. With more and more US citizen youth earning high school and college degrees, the trend is making the prospects of adequately filling jobs in certain sectors extremely difficult, even in this tough economy.
"

It is our imagination that how can we also benefit from this???

bigboy007
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
We dont need to support for their cause unless AILA supports us.

Look at the below excerpt from their website, it looks
"
One of the challenges American businesses face today is the aging American workforce, the rapid retirement of the large Baby Boomer generation. To maintain a balanced and a stable workforce, American businesses must find younger workers, especially in manual labor jobs. With more and more US citizen youth earning high school and college degrees, the trend is making the prospects of adequately filling jobs in certain sectors extremely difficult, even in this tough economy.
"

It is our imagination that how can we also benefit from this???

johnnybhai
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
For me to support a campaign, I need to know what's in it for me to support it? I have to believe it to support it. If AILA includes EB visa reform in its agenda, then I am all for it. To convert illegal immigrants to Permanent Citizens for a $500 fine - I dont think am up for it !!!

hydboy77
06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
What exactly is being proposed for us (Employment based immigrants), is visa number recpture included, is masters and Phd in Stem from US universities excluded from quota, is country quota removal for EB included, are family members removed from taking visa numbers like h1b when they get a green card. I might sound cynical but without any idea what so ever about whether we EB are in scope or not lets not just go over and sign petitions left right and center. I will give you an example, there is a thread in IV to vote for the "http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h5882/show" on the open congress website. Before the IV thread the number of votes was about 10 and and after IV it is 1638. Even I voted for it and urged others to vote for it. Not sure what happened but the summary of the bill has changed completely, the bill has no mention about Employment based immigrants, it says visa recapture for family based immigrants, so did they wash off the employment based immigrants from the benefits of the bill, if so why are we supporting this bill.

The employment based community has been used and abused by everyone. Lets not go around supporting anything without first knowing what are we going to get out of it. CIR without benefits for EB community is worse than a toilet paper for us, it can hurt us rather than being beneficial. Under OBAMA cir is a code name for illegals amnesty that is known to everyone, whats matters for EB immigrants is will he help us or allow durbin, grassley etc to screw the eb community. All I am saying is lets find out whats in it for us before blindly supporting it, if not people will take us for granted and will use us and not give anything in return.

Humhongekamyab
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree with hydboy77. BEFORE we send the fax/ email we have to find out what is there for us. I think this CIR will turn out to be a path to legalization for undocumented at the cost of people like us who have always played by the book. Let's wait for IV Core or Pappu to analyze this whole thing before we start sending faxes.

gc_on_demand
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with hydboy77. BEFORE we send the fax/ email we have to find out what is there for us. I think this CIR will turn out to be a path to legalization for undocumented at the cost of people like us who have always played by the book. Let's wait for IV Core or Pappu to analyze this whole thing before we start sending faxes.

If nothing for us then we will leave job and become illegal from that day .. ofcource we also came 10 - 15 years ago and we have tax statements and so on to prove that..

Humhongekamyab
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Guys, let's hear from IV core first. Let's not give into somebody else's agenda w/o first finding out what is there for EB professionals. AILA is supporting it because AILA attorney's have all sorts of clients but we will have to find out if anything substantial is proposed for EB community. So let's wait for instructions from IV Core.

hpandey
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM

All this ho ha by AILA is for the illegal people . The only thing that would happen because of this is that all the illegals would be given GC's and path to citizenship and when the USCIS is busy processing their 10 million applications the LEGAL EB GC's will be put in cold storage for two more decades.

Don't be fooled by this . CIR is always about Illegal immigration under the guise of Family Based GC's. There is nothing in it for us .

new_horizon
06-03-2009, 11:37 AM
What's in it for us (EB category)? I think it only concerns the immigration reform for illegals? Does it benefit us in any way?

GUYS,

BEST REGARDS,

Openarms
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
What is the status quo from IV Core with this??? can somebody from core shed some light on this

ganguteli
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
voted on opencongress.org right..... I did too.... that's how they got my email......

That is why I told everyone who voted on opencongress were dumb.

Now it looks like that site collected your privacy information and is sharing with outside people. Such privacy information is valuable to people running such targeted campaigns.

Openarms
06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
In my opinion, AILA does not need our support for this cause....they got all the support from CIR interest groups... think about last time CIR bill... I think it has legal EB benefits also...

So what we need to decide is how we can help them in order to help us.

new2gc
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Guys, let's hear from IV core first. Let's not give into somebody else's agenda w/o first finding out what is there for EB professionals. AILA is supporting it because AILA attorney's have all sorts of clients but we will have to find out if anything substantial is proposed for EB community. So let's wait for instructions from IV Core.

We should not follow just anyone's direction here...we should participate IV endorsed campaings ONLY. Period. No reason why we should support CIR without any EB spice in it.

trueguy
06-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Sent the fax, it took less than a minute.

Instead of looking at bad side, why don't we look at good side of this Bill. It says it will recapture 225K lost visas and I think most of them will be applied to EB2 category first and then left over will come down to EB3.

pappu
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I looked at both opencongress vote and AILA fax.

I did not post anything then so that members do not feel discouraged. We have had people complaining that IV is quiet or discourages sending emails or online voting. In reality these fake emails and fake votes on a third party site will not help IV advocacy effort. This fax is promoted by an organization that has a specific agenda and interests. At this point of time, I do not see any value of faxes on CIR for us. This situation can change after next week and we can start our own IV faxes that focus on IV specific agenda that helps us. We are monitoring the politics of CIR closely. We will use our limited resources and members time and efforts diligently to get maximum impact from our campaigns.
You are free to make your decisions and send faxes, emails or vote on any site.

Leo07
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Guys,

Let's get past the suspicion--I looked at AILA and made my decision to send the fax.Since I felt, if there is anybody who understands the plight of EB immigrants, it got to be immigrant lawyers.

That said, use your own discretion to send fax, there are wiser guys in this forum:)

Best!

Instead of looking at bad side, why don't we look at good side of this Bill. It says it will recapture 225K lost visas and I think most of them will be applied to EB2 category first and then left over will come down to EB3.

Openarms
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
But big question is why would IV likes to go alone????? Why can not join the forcess??

Where is the IV position on S.1085: VISA recapture bill???.. which is introduced by respectable congress men

I did not post anything then so that members do not feel discouraged. We have had people complaining that IV is quiet or discourages sending emails or online voting. In reality these fake emails and fake votes on a third party site will not help IV advocacy effort. This fax is promoted by an organization that has a specific agenda and interests. At this point of time, I do not see any value of faxes on CIR for us. This situation can change after next week and we can start our own IV faxes that focus on IV specific agenda that helps us. We are monitoring the politics of CIR closely. We will use our limited resources and members time and efforts diligently to get maximum impact from our campaigns.

gc_on_demand
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM

I think next week Prez will just announce that he does see opportunity to pass CIR with in a year and he will ask congress to come up with CIR markup and bring to floor in Oct - nov sometime . Before that they have Health care which is pretty much new bill and will need more time for discussion on floor. with up going price of Crude they may feel pressure from US people to do somthing for energy. May be mark up will start in Aug or sep for bill to be on floor in Oct - Nov. So I think best time will be July - aug for us to do some active big campaign

ganguteli
06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Guys,

Since I felt, if there is anybody who understands the plight of EB immigrants, it got to be immigrant lawyers.

Best!

well said :)

jthomas
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Getting illegals to the path of citizenship would be a great achievement for AILA. So many of them would be struck in line for years and years because of 7% country quota and lawyers would be making good money every year renewing their EAD/AP/ and other immigration documents.
Does it help us anyway

J Thomas

I skimmed through their website. More than 90% of it is regarding giving a path to illegal/undocumented workers for establishing permanent residence. There is one point that seems to be somewhat helpful to legal immigrants like us:

"Allocate sufficient visas to close unlawful migration channels. One of the great failures of our current system is that the level of legal immigration is set arbitrarily by Congress—as a product of political compromise. The allocation of employment visas to workers should be depoliticized and placed in the hands of an independent commission that can assess labor shortages and determine the number and characteristics of foreign workers to be admitted, with Congress's approval."

But it seems to be far-fetched and I am not very clear whether it will help us. So, I haven't sent a FAX - Please let me know if you think otherwise... To me, it seems like a path to an excellent business opportunity for AILA lawyers :)

arukala
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I did FAX

add78
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
But big question is why would IV likes to go alone????? Why can not join the forcess??

Where is the IV position on S.1085: VISA recapture bill???.. which is introduced by respectable congress men

My friends,

realize a few things here

IV is not just IV core. It is all active members like you and me. Given that, it does not mean that people should just start a thread or create a new action item on their own. You cannot expect an all coordinated, all cylinders go action plans on every single bill that gets introduced or every single initiative that other parties (like AILA) launch the very next day. Please understand that we need to analyze these bills and initiatives, evaluate their merits, consult with our lobbyists and most importantly, step back and think through and look at the big picture and see how things fit with our goals for the entire community and relate with any other plans already in motion or being designed in the pipeline.

Therefore, please do not get discouraged if you do not immediately hear a "position" or "action item" from IV on every single new bill or initiative by other parties. Please understand that it is upto each and every one of us to help IV core by doing the following whenever you think a new bill or initiative is worth pursuing

1) Analyze the bill / initiative in detail. Merits / Demerits, How it impacts our Cause etc.
Then post your analysis. Use your judgment in posting to open forum vs donor only forum.

2) Join the state chapters. Most of the action items and updates on new initiatives flow through the state chapters to its members. That is the best avenue to share your ideas and constructive criticism.

3) Increase awareness among your friends about IV. Let them know what "you" are doing and how IV can help fight their own cause. Get them to join state chapters as well.

Hope This Helps

anyluck?
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys,

My friend foorward email to send Fax to congress.Please follow the link and send fax and fill the correct details so that they will send fax to your state congress candidate.

http://www.reformimmigrationforamerica.org/

Thanks

gapala
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Guys, This was posted a while ago when I got the email on this event... Did not catch traction on IV due to some reason.. Here's the link.. http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25678

Administrator2
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
IV is not recommending or requesting anyone to send faxes using any other website. We request ALL members to be cautious about sending out mis-directed or mis-informed communication to the congress, making sure that any communication going out must represent the interest of EB community.

We need to continue to organize our effort everyday and not send random communications.

Thanks,

anyluck?
06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry about this message.I do not know the rules.

Humhongekamyab
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I did FAX

It's an individual choice to fax or not in the absence of specific direction from the IV as long as the individual reviews all the material/ proposed law.

In the absence of any relief for the backlogged EB category I am NOT going to support any CIR.

The7zen
06-03-2009, 01:54 PM

TrueGuy....may your dreams come true.!!!!

I don't see anything positive for EB community in this bill. I AM NOT SENDING ANY FAX.

Humhongekamyab
06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
TrueGuy....may your dreams come true.!!!!

I don't see anything positive for EB community in this bill. I AM NOT SENDING ANY FAX.

I agree. This recapture is once again a piecemeal legislation. First of all it is just a proposal and we don't know whether it will make it to the final bill. Secondly, this one time recapture may help us but these numbers will be gone within a year and then what. Coming generations will face the same problem and they will have to go through the same thing and trust me it is be more difficult for them to come back to the congress after CIR. In the absence of specific provisions for EB, I AM NOT SENDING ANY FAX. One time recapture is not good enough for me.

Leo07
06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
On a lighter note....I liked this from:Humhongekamyab
"... One time recapture is not good enough for me. "

vrkgali
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Done and forwarding the email I got back to all my friends.

Humhongekamyab
06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
On a lighter note....I liked this from:Humhongekamyab
"... One time recapture is not good enough for me. "

Thanks!

ksrk
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Sent the fax - took 30sec.

quiquincho
06-03-2009, 03:32 PM

pmat, I agree with you. This 'comprehensive' immigration reform is mostly going to benefit illegal aliens and add more workload to USCIS - I do not see how this is going to benefit us.

JazzByTheBay
06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
>>Since I felt, if there is anybody who understands the plight of EB immigrants, it got to be immigrant lawyers.

Hmm... perhaps. However, immigration attorneys have a lot to gain from a deluge of undocumented immigrants applying for permanent residence, imho. :)

jazz

Guys,

Let's get past the suspicion--I looked at AILA and made my decision to send the fax.Since I felt, if there is anybody who understands the plight of EB immigrants, it got to be immigrant lawyers.

That said, use your own discretion to send fax, there are wiser guys in this forum:)

Best!