PDA

View Full Version : Name interchanged in Indian passport

jayeshksm
02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Greetings

My passport has my given and surnames interchanged and hence, it needs to be changed. The Surname in my current passport is printed incorrectly as Givenname and my Givenname is printed incorrectly as Surname. There is no change to name as such since it is only interchanged. All my other documents like SSN, W2 and Visa have the correct names in them and hence, this is causing issues in name verification. Please advise since this is NOT a NAME CHANGE, but a CORRECTION by interchanging Surname and Given Name whether it can be done under the Miscellaneous passport services so that it can be endorsed as an "Observation" on Page 3.

Rgds,
JK

WetHead
02-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Let me tell you my experience with this ( exactly the same scenario you described )
- went to NYC consulate. They advised that it was a name change and that I had to post ad in newspaper in India and here and apply
- went to dc consulate,same story
- printed ad in paper in India after making an affidavit
- local is paper refused to print ad without a court order
- filed motion in local court to have my name changed. It took 30 days and I did it without a lawyer
- Printed ad in local paper
- went back to dc consulate and applied for new passport

Took two years ( because i was in no hurry ) and about $300 in total and a great deal of my time amount
All because someone in the passport office in Bangalore didn't pay attention in class

jayeshksm
02-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I saw some other posts wherein they have got it done without any affidavit and new paper ad. Hence, I am confused as to what is the correct procedure.

jayeshksm
02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi...has anyone applied for such changes in the consulate at Houston as my state falls under it's jurisdiction?
Please let me know.

schumy_micheal
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Exactly the same procedure as WetHead explained above. I did it in Chicago consulate. Took me around 4months to complete the advertisements in India, US then decree from local court. Again I was not in a hurry and did it before my first H1 extension and attached the court decree with my extension application. My new I-94 and visa after stamping came out with the name change.

Again its coming from horse mouth,not from any forums or friends who did it..:).. It costs me around $400 and I timed it 1 year before my passport expiry as a passport renewal.

Thanks,
Schumy

Recurring Donor since June 2011

LONGGCQUE
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I have exact same issue with my passport as OP and others on the thread has gone thru. Can someone provide me following details.

- Paper AD description that we need to give in India and in US.
- What needs to be done before giving AD, any affidavit or court order etc.
- How much time we need to wait after giving AD in paper, before we submit details to US embassy SFO.

Thanks for your time friends.

schumy_micheal
03-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Please refer to the below link for details
Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America - Change of Name (Maiden to Married or Otherwise) (http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=173)

- Contact a news agent for the local news paper in your home town. He can guide you how to publish the name change advt. Again there is a standard template for these kind of advertisements. Make sure you give advt in English.

- Visit the local news paper office in your area. I went to a regional news paper office in my area. Tell them that you need to give a name change advt. the rate is normally on number of words. I think it took around $118 for the advt. I remember the advt should be repeating at least 3 times and you will receive a "certificate of publication". Take that to the Local court(In my case circuit court of the judicial district) and the Circuit clerk's office gave me a hearing date 6 weeks after the last advt date.(The court charges were $223) This was my first tryst with the US courts and you don't believe, its straight forward, no attorney needed, very helpful office staff who guide me through the process. On the hearing day it took couple of minutes for my case as Judge asked me "you are just interchanging your name? and I nodded "Yes Sir"..That's it, I got the decree for the name change.

I took that decree, cuttings from Indian and US news papers and applied for my passport renewal and my nw passport is issued with the changed name. I used my court decree and passport in my next H1 renewal and got the new I-797 with the correct name. The whose exercise started in March 2007 and I got my court decree on May 30th, 2007 and new passport in July 2007. Total of 5 months. Hope this helps and PM me in case you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
Schumy

Note: Please make sure you talk to SFO consulate and get all the information needed. I am talking of my experience almost 5 years back. Things can change in the meantime.

I have exact same issue with my passport as OP and others on the thread has gone thru. Can someone provide me following details.

- Paper AD description that we need to give in India and in US.
- What needs to be done before giving AD, any affidavit or court order etc.
- How much time we need to wait after giving AD in paper, before we submit details to US embassy SFO.

Thanks for your time friends.

LONGGCQUE
03-02-2012, 07:19 AM
That was helpful info to get started. I will surely touch base with you as and when I have questions along the way. Thanks Buddy

Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America - Change of Name (Maiden to Married or Otherwise) (http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=173)

- Contact a news agent for the local news paper in your home town. He can guide you how to publish the name change advt. Again there is a standard template for these kind of advertisements. Make sure you give advt in English.

- Visit the local news paper office in your area. I went to a regional news paper office in my area. Tell them that you need to give a name change advt. the rate is normally on number of words. I think it took around $118 for the advt. I remember the advt should be repeating at least 3 times and you will receive a "certificate of publication". Take that to the Local court(In my case circuit court of the judicial district) and the Circuit clerk's office gave me a hearing date 6 weeks after the last advt date.(The court charges were $223) This was my first tryst with the US courts and you don't believe, its straight forward, no attorney needed, very helpful office staff who guide me through the process. On the hearing day it took couple of minutes for my case as Judge asked me "you are just interchanging your name? and I nodded "Yes Sir"..That's it, I got the decree for the name change.

I took that decree, cuttings from Indian and US news papers and applied for my passport renewal and my nw passport is issued with the changed name. I used my court decree and passport in my next H1 renewal and got the new I-797 with the correct name. The whose exercise started in March 2007 and I got my court decree on May 30th, 2007 and new passport in July 2007. Total of 5 months. Hope this helps and PM me in case you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
Schumy

Note: Please make sure you talk to SFO consulate and get all the information needed. I am talking of my experience almost 5 years back. Things can change in the meantime.

satyasrd
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi

My name is as follows in passport
Last Name : LN MN1
First Name : MN2 FN

My visa matches above. MN1 and MN2 are my middle names that were probably listed that way because of space issues.

But BC says LN MN1 MN2 FN (with the first 3 letters as initials following south indian traditions) !!

My SSN, driver's license etc. show it correctly - FN MN1 MN2 LN.

What do I do to fix this mess before I file for GC? Can i just get an affidavit for now to say that all these names are for me?

Thanks for any advise!

shouldIwait
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Let me tell you my experience with this ( exactly the same scenario you described )
- went to NYC consulate. They advised that it was a name change and that I had to post ad in newspaper in India and here and apply
- filed motion in local court to have my name changed. It took 30 days and I did it without a lawyer

Took two years ( because i was in no hurry ) and about $300 in total and a great deal of my time amount
All because someone in the passport office in Bangalore didn't pay attention in class

....And you didn't pay attention when you first received the passport from passport-office.

LONGGCQUE
03-03-2012, 08:39 PM
please reply to PM. Thanks

Thanks,
Schumy

LONGGCQUE
03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
please reply to PM. Thanks

sundarpn
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Greetings

My passport has my given and surnames interchanged and hence, it needs to be changed. The Surname in my current passport is printed incorrectly as Givenname and my Givenname is printed incorrectly as Surname. There is no change to name as such since it is only interchanged. All my other documents like SSN, W2 and Visa have the correct names in them and hence, this is causing issues in name verification. Please advise since this is NOT a NAME CHANGE, but a CORRECTION by interchanging Surname and Given Name whether it can be done under the Miscellaneous passport services so that it can be endorsed as an "Observation" on Page 3.

Rgds,
JK

I had the same issue back in 2007. They split my name wrong. All I did was go to DC consulate in person, told them the problem and they corrected it then & there with an observation on another page in the passport. They then put a sticker on the main page saying refer page X. [I did request them that I have driven from out of state and taken a day off for this.] Hth.