PDA

View Full Version : is canada a better option?

billu
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I m a new applicant for EB 3 gc born in india.....just starting my process......with my PD being sometime in later half of 2009,do u think canada is a better option?......EB 3 india right now looks like a good 10-12 years wait time!!.......pls advice about canada immigration and is it a viable option?

adhantari
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
expertise are..... mind you there are not that many jobs available. Now people will argue this isn't the case..... but I have seen many many people just hanging around doing Gas station, security, truck driver jobs to get to citizenship and then come back to US.... Beware....

Canada Immigration Discussion Forum (http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/)

smisachu
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I m a new applicant for EB 3 gc born in india.....just starting my process......with my PD being sometime in later half of 2009,do u think canada is a better option?......EB 3 india right now looks like a good 10-12 years wait time!!.......pls advice about canada immigration and is it a viable option?

No, Canada is not a better option. INDIA!! is a better option. You got to get it out of your mind that you need to go somewhere. It is different in the US because you have some industries and jobs here that you cannot get anywhere else. Also a certian lifestyle. But common Canada, eastern Europe, Africa... you guys are nuts.

India is a MUCH better option than anywhere else except maybe if you get a real good job in China. As far as I am concerned if nothing happens here I am headed back to my hometown-Bangalore, India.

I have much better lifestyle and opportunities than Canada or even western europe! Period.

Rb_newsletter
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
If you are employed in IT field, as far as I know federal skilled workers and AINP H1b stream are almost blocked except for managers. Canada immigration program has a list of occupation category; if you work in one of the listed classification then you can apply for PR. About an year back federal skilled worker deleted all computer related classification but managers. In May 2009, AINP did the same and now only IT managers are eligible.

If you are employed in non-IT category, you may still be eligible.

But AINP looks "little" better when compared to other immigration programs.

sanju_dba
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
prospects in India/USA/Canada for experienced vs freshers.

- I am interested to see your thoughts based on above factors.

kris04
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
No, Canada is not a better option. INDIA!! is a better option. You got to get it out of your mind that you need to go somewhere. It is different in the US because you have some industries and jobs here that you cannot get anywhere else. Also a certian lifestyle. But common Canada, eastern Europe, Africa... you guys are nuts.

India is a MUCH better option than anywhere else except maybe if you get a real good job in China. As far as I am concerned if nothing happens here I am headed back to my hometown-Bangalore, India.

I have much better lifestyle and opportunities than Canada or even western europe! Period.

Going back to India is not a bad option at all, but it is really subjective to each individuals about what gain we are going to get out of gaining GC or citizenship from US or Canada like settling down in these countries for good or moving back to country of origin later. In my opinion gaining citizenship from US or Canada before going back to India will be always advantageous, one future perspective these countries have bilateral agreements with other developed nations where you can travel without visa for business trip or for even jobs where you're treated differently as against India citizens(Asian origins doctors who work in UK know this difference). Its a known fact that the pay structure in Gulf countries are different based on the citizenship.

My 2 cents

kris

Country of origin: India
GC Status : Approved in 2008

Rb_newsletter
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Its a known fact that the pay structure in Gulf countries are different based on the citizenship.

I don't know about the gulf. But Singapore and other Asian countries, pay structure is different for different race and skin color. This happens even if you have GC or citizenship from US.

dummgelauft
08-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Not Canada - Home (http://notcanada.net/)

Please, people visit hits website before you make any decisions.
I have suffered, and I would like to help others avoid this suffering, if possible.

kris04
08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't know about the gulf. But Singapore and other Asian countries, pay structure is different for different race and skin color. This happens even if you have GC or citizenship from US.

when I mentioned about the pay structure based on Citizenship, I did'nt mean about race or skin color. there is a legal bilateral agreement between US, Canada and certain western nations, that if their citizen are hired in Gulf countries then the starting salary range is different. As far as discrimination in Singapore or other Asian nation you're right, especially Singapore, Malaysia etc..

regards

kris

sonia_sd
08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Going back to India is not a bad option at all, but it is really subjective to each individuals about what gain we are going to get out of gaining GC or citizenship from US or Canada like settling down in these countries for good or moving back to country of origin later. In my opinion gaining citizenship from US or Canada before going back to India will be always advantageous, one future perspective these countries have bilateral agreements with other developed nations where you can travel without visa for business trip or for even jobs where you're treated differently as against India citizens(Asian origins doctors who work in UK know this difference). Its a known fact that the pay structure in Gulf countries are different based on the citizenship.

My 2 cents

kris

Country of origin: India
GC Status : Approved in 2008

Kris04,

Appreciate your realastic advise, I believe its worth one dies in canada for citizenship. I would say CANADA is a great nation and citizenship is widely respected, on top of everything you are widely allowed to any country.

Soni

bigboy007
08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
True if one want to die for Citizenship , But job market is not as great as here. One needs to be really lucky to be there and I also agree that its lot easier in life once you have a stable job. I have some friends who are well settled and enjoying a cool life. WHere as some are still looking for one and many moved back to US or Gulf once they got citizenship so it all depends... But Certain Citizenship of Canada is easiest compared to that of US and well respected too compared to US.

Kris04,

Appreciate your realastic advise, I believe its worth one dies in canada for citizenship. I would say CANADA is a great nation and citizenship is widely respected, on top of everything you are widely allowed to any country.

Soni

Rb_newsletter
08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I have suffered, and I would like to help others avoid this suffering, if possible.

Sorry to hear that you had some bad experience. May I know what kind of bad experience you faced.

IfYouSeekAmy
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Canada and Australia are good backup options. You want to apply for one of these countries as a backup while waiting for your GC.

billu
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Canada and Australia are good backup options. You want to apply for one of these countries as a backup while waiting for your GC.

going by the current EB 3 india scenario,I think canada and australia seem to be good 1st and 2nd options respectively and I will keep US GC as the last option as it looks more far fetched than the other two.

fide_champ
08-06-2009, 11:32 AM

You stand a better chance of getting it through your kids if they are citizens than getting it through EB3. There are a few options to get green card faster. Canada is not one of them.
1. Get a Ph.D, get a job in a univ and apply in EB-1.
2. Get a MBA and get a management job and apply in EB-1.
3. Become a religious worker in some temple and apply in the religious worker category.

jsb
08-06-2009, 12:50 PM
You stand a better chance of getting it through your kids if they are citizens than getting it through EB3. There are a few options to get green card faster. Canada is not one of them.
3. Become a religious worker in some temple and apply in the religious worker category.

Fun apart, if you feel comfortable that you can find a job of your liking, and you believe your background will qualify you for a PR, consider Canada. It is a good place to live. You never miss home there. I am a Cdn citizen and have lived there for many years. Most likley I'll return back to Canada when I decide to retire. I know at least one person, who after living in the US for 11 yrs and unsuccessful in getting a GC, chose to make Canada his home, hoping to be there just for 3 yrs (needed to be a citizen), and then return to the US on TN permit. He has been in Canada for 8 yrs, and does not want to consider to move to the US any more.

Canada has a bit slower life, but is better socially and people are friendlier. It has less professional opportunities, lower pay and more tax. Yet, overall I think Canada is a better place to live. Why am I in the US? Purely for professional reasons. I visit Canada quite frequently, which I consider as my home.

onemorecame
08-06-2009, 01:07 PM

2) Get a MBA and get a management job and apply in EB-1.
Please describe which kind/feild of management job we need? is any management job in any IT company is fine orwe need within a some specific feild to qualify for EB1?

bobzibub
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
The Best Countries For Business, 2009 - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/18/best-countries-for-business-bizcountries09-business-washington-best-countries.html)

Denmark is #1, USA #2, Canada #3.

onemorecame
08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
If you are employed in IT field, as far as I know federal skilled workers and AINP H1b stream are almost blocked except for managers. Canada immigration program has a list of occupation category; if you work in one of the listed classification then you can apply for PR. About an year back federal skilled worker deleted all computer related classification but managers. In May 2009, AINP did the same and now only IT managers are eligible.

If you are employed in non-IT category, you may still be eligible.

But AINP looks "little" better when compared to other immigration programs.

is it mean Canadian door's are closed for people who employed in IT field and do non-managerial job?
Is there any other alternative option to apply Canadian PR after exclusion of occupation category from federal and province Skilled worker category?

billu
08-06-2009, 03:04 PM

i think by the time i finish my Ph. D. or part time MBA,i would have got my canadian PR....so i'll just apply for canada and wait instead of slogging it out with phd or mba

billu
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=jsb;617617]Fun apart, if you feel comfortable that you can find a job of your liking, and you believe your background will qualify you for a PR, consider Canada. It is a good place to live. You never miss home there. I am a Cdn citizen and have lived there for many years. Most likley I'll return back to Canada when I decide to retire. I know at least one person, who after living in the US for 11 yrs and unsuccessful in getting a GC, chose to make Canada his home, hoping to be there just for 3 yrs (needed to be a citizen), and then return to the US on TN permit. He has been in Canada for 8 yrs, and does not want to consider to move to the US any more.

Canada has a bit slower life, but is better socially and people are friendlier. It has less professional opportunities, lower pay and more tax. Yet, overall I think Canada is a better place to live. Why am I in the US? Purely for professional reasons. I visit Canada quite frequently, which I consider as my home.[/QUOTE

ya i think its a good option.....i dont mind the lower pay and more tax.......it will b much better than india........atleast i'll have peace of mind with PR as compared to uncertain wait in US

jsb
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
is it mean Canadian door's are closed for people who employed in IT field and do non-managerial job?
Is there any other alternative option to apply Canadian PR after exclusion of occupation category from federal and province Skilled worker category?

Canada has a point system. You earn points for (i) qualification in area of demand - this changes constantly, (ii) family in Canada, if any, including cousins etc (iii) age, (iv) knowledge of English/French, (v) a job offer in area of demand, (vi) money for initial support during job search, (vii) knowledge of culture, (viii) interview, etc etc. If you get passing marks (60%?) you are in.

Others categories are marriage, investor (with a guarantee of employing certain minimum number of Canadians other than your own family), refugee etc.

There is no country based quota. Once you become citizen (after 3 yrs), your Nationality is considered Canadian. Country of birth is never mentioned or asked for any document other than passport (even there it is optional). Govt benefit plans do not distinguish between a PR and a citizen.

Rb_newsletter
08-06-2009, 03:50 PM

I don't want to conclude that doors are closed. Always one can find a way. Third eye always works better so I am pasting the links that I browsed through.

Federal skilled worker - Who can apply:
Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list)

AINP - Who can apply:
Alberta, Canada - Immigration : Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) (http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/ainp.html)
Alberta, Canada - Immigration : US visa holder category (http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/srsvisaholder.html)
http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/media/h1b_AINP_Occupations_Under_Pressure_List.pdf

In federal skilled worker link they state
"In order for your application to be eligible for processing, you must either:

- have an offer of arranged employment, OR
- be a foreign national living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
- be a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the following occupations:"

As per their above statement if you have a job offer you can still apply for PR.

Hope this gives you some idea.

go_guy123
08-06-2009, 04:38 PM

PhD is no trivial thing. One does a phd only if one is truly motivated.
Plus PhD doesn't guarantee EB1 either.

Since 2001 downturn PhD graduates are having a hard time getting faculty positions
as education budgets haven't increased much and therefore faculty positions are very hard to get unless you are from a top school like UIUC, Stanford etc.

You will have to do 1-2 years of post doc at 30K per annum salary to land a
faculty position.

So you are looking at 6 (phd) years + 2 (post doc)years to land a job as faculty
and after that it might take1 years to get GC.

Living on 6 years of 18K per annum salary(Phd) + 2 years of 30K per annum salary (post doc) is no easy.

You are better off working on H1B . At least you will earn more and have a better life.

gauravsh
08-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Does any one knows how is database administrator job market at canada?

jsb
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Does any one knows how is database administrator job market at canada?

There are many not so preferred areas in Canada, where there is always a demand. Most people prefer large cities such as Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc. These are mostly saturated, but with persistence you should find something even there. If you don't care where you live, you should definitely find a lot of openings in the area you mentioned.

gauravsh
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
There are many not so preferred areas in Canada, where there is always a demand. Most people prefer large cities such as Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc. These are mostly saturated, but with persistence you should find something even there. If you don't care where you live, you should definitely find a lot of openings in the area you mentioned.

Thank you, really appreciate your responce.

simple1
08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree, India is a far better option.

Assuming this discussion is about immigration/permanent-settlement and not about short term visits, work and study.

On the side note, The only problem faced in india is over population which triggers almost all other issues. If india implements onechildpolicy most of the problems faced today will disappear in few decades. Your child (note: singular) need not leave india to enjoy international level lifestyle & benefits.

As a backup plan to greencard advocacy we need to lobby the indian government to implement onechildpoilcy immediately.

PAL
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I had been there in US for 7 yrs (3 yrs in L2->1yr out of US->4 Yrs in H1B). Saw the myths and tragedy of US GC process very closely. Didn't want to spoil peace of life and my hard earned money with USCIS and lawyers:mad:. Didn’t look at the US GC application and applied for Canadian PR. Came to Canada with PR last year from US. Peacefully settled in Toronto with nice job and benefits, bought my brand new car 4 months back. Nice and friendly people and government. Happy to be in Canada. No more stamping issues, tons of junk paper works, consulate visit PA and wired look from immigration officers at POE…. enough…. I am not going back to US even for a visit in next 5 yrs..…

But I can go out of Canada and enter any time and as many time as I want. Can you do that too???? :D

To those who are portraying wrong picture of Canada, all I can say, if you have skills, personality and capability, you’ll succeed anywhere in this world, be it in US, Canada or Australia. Don’t blame it on a country, but look at yourself.
Just my 2 cents.

kumar1
08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Option 4- Stay in H1-B status for 9+ years and you will become a religious person automatically.. after 9 years you will reach a level where no country, no citizenship, no relationship would matter....only MURTHY JI would matter.

It is my own experience.

jsb
08-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I had been there in US for 7 yrs (3 yrs in L2->1yr out of US->4 Yrs in H1B). Saw the myths and tragedy of US GC process very closely. Didn't want to spoil peace of life and my hard earned money with USCIS and lawyers:mad:. Didn’t look at the US GC application and applied for Canadian PR. Came to Canada with PR last year from US. Peacefully settled in Toronto with nice job and benefits, bought my brand new car 4 months back. Nice and friendly people and government. Happy to be in Canada. No more stamping issues, tons of junk paper works, consulate visit PA and wired look from immigration officers at POE…. enough…. I am not going back to US even for a visit in next 5 yrs..…

But I can go out of Canada and enter any time and as many time as I want. Can you do that too???? :D

To those who are portraying wrong picture of Canada, all I can say, if you have skills, personality and capability, you’ll succeed anywhere in this world, be it in US, Canada or Australia. Don’t blame it on a country, but look at yourself.
Just my 2 cents.

Great. I agree one hundred percent. Once you have lived in Canada for a year, you will never want to look elsewhere. People and govt are no comparison. Both are very very helpful. You really feel at home in Canada.

simple1
08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
While I am happy for you about your canadian experience.

I am unable to understand the need to contradict yourself ?
"Saw the myths and tragedy of US GC process very closely. Didn't want to spoil peace of life and my hard earned money with USCIS and lawyers........But I can go out of Canada and enter any time and as many time as I want. Can you do that too????
......you’ll succeed anywhere in this world, be it in US, Canada or Australia. Don’t blame it on a country, but look at yourself."

Just my 2 cents.

sonia_sd
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Hello PAL, You are 100% right - here is my full support to your argument !!

PAL
08-07-2009, 06:24 PM
To Simple1

What I meant to say, you’ll succeed if you have the capability (with your professional knowledge, experience and skills) in your professional filed but definitely not with USCIS.

I can say, USCIS is a great leveler in this aspect. Everybody from PhD to Programmer is same in front of USCIS. All have to wait 10+ yrs with mental tension and anxiety, no matter what your caliber is and how successful you are in your profession.
Don’t get me wrong here. I also had to suffer for visa stamping, renewals, I-94 issues, PA etc in US Visa processing (nothing sever though). At the 5th yr of H1-B, I just decided.. to hell with that.....
I don't know about you guys, but, I would be heart patient with that kind of anxiety in another 5 yrs of GC process …. Really need a lion's heart to pursue US GC now days

deepak
08-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Assuming this discussion is about immigration/permanent-settlement and not about short term visits, work and study.

On the side note, The only problem faced in india is over population which triggers almost all other issues. If india implements onechildpolicy most of the problems faced today will disappear in few decades. Your child (note: singular) need not leave india to enjoy international level lifestyle & benefits.

As a backup plan to greencard advocacy we need to lobby the indian government to implement onechildpoilcy immediately.

You do realise that one of the biggest reasons for India's rapid growth is it's population right? It is both a boon and a curse. And if you "enforce" a one child policy, there will be a rapid decline in population. There will be major social problems, what happens to a couple if their only child dies in teenage?. Apart from obvious social issues (kids will have fewer cousins and fewer relatives), the biggest problems will arise in 30 years when the severely depleted young populace will have to support the huge number of retired old workers either directly through parental support or indirectly through taxes.
Think of your old age too, these solutions look interesting, but it will kill the very reasons that make India attractive today.
A gradual stabilization of population by encouraging families to have just two children through social programs is the way to go and I think India has done a good job of it in the last 2-3 decades. These things take time.

And before you quote China's "significant progress", 25 years later, they are going through a lot of issues. For example, take a look at this http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/world/asia/25shanghai.html

simple1
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
To Simple1
…. Really need a lion's heart to pursue US GC now days

I fully agree.

I am no lion, if nothing moves in next 6m, Will be calling quits and head back.

Rb_newsletter
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Do you wanna know Canada a better option? Have you ever thought of missed the opportunity to apply for AINP?

Seriously I wonder how people work like this. Easy way to manage the schedule slippage is come back on scheduled deadline and just add 4 months to it. All problems solved. :mad:

Alberta, Canada - Immigration : Processing times (http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/processingtimes.html)

Strategic Recruitment Stream processing times for U.S. Visa Holders

U.S. Visa Holder Category Processing time
Notification (pre-assessment) At least four months
Candidate assessment At least eight months
Total AINP processing time At least twelve months* :eek:

* If you have a full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in a field related to your current occupation in the U.S. you will receive priority processing.

AINP has experienced a higher than expected volume of applications in the U.S. Visa Holder Category. Because of this, priority will be given to applicants who have a valid job offer from an Alberta employer. All eligible applications will be processed, although processing times will vary significantly depending on the volume of applications received. In some cases, it may be at least 12 months before processing commences on an application without a job offer.

billu
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
To Simple1

What I meant to say, you’ll succeed if you have the capability (with your professional knowledge, experience and skills) in your professional filed but definitely not with USCIS.

I can say, USCIS is a great leveler in this aspect. Everybody from PhD to Programmer is same in front of USCIS. All have to wait 10+ yrs with mental tension and anxiety, no matter what your caliber is and how successful you are in your profession.
Don’t get me wrong here. I also had to suffer for visa stamping, renewals, I-94 issues, PA etc in US Visa processing (nothing sever though). At the 5th yr of H1-B, I just decided.. to hell with that.....
I don't know about you guys, but, I would be heart patient with that kind of anxiety in another 5 yrs of GC process …. Really need a lion's heart to pursue US GC now days
i completely agree with u.......waiting 10-12 years for a plastic card keeping everything on hold and renewing EAD,AP every other year.......h1b stamping........all that paperowork.......working ur a** out for the same employer for xx years........keeping track of excruciatingly slow movement of PDs in monthly bulletin.........feel like i am already in ICU man.........is this a life?????

billu
08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE Really need a lion's heart to pursue US GC now days[/QUOTE]

USCIS should keep a condition -a stress test-before starting GC application to make sure one has a strong heart....and a warning: people with weak hearts wont b able to make it.......

billu
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
To Simple1

ya sure n make lalu yadav the minister and ambassador for the same....

go_guy123
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Hello PAL

I also came to Toronto in 2007. I was a F1->H1B tired of the H1B dance through stamping,
body shopper etc. I came in 2007, did MBA at U of T....doing well now. Yes Canada is tough job market but eventually it is working out....but hey US under H1B is tougher and worse. I never regret the decision. If I have to take the decision again, I will take the same decision.

One thing for sure...I am definitely better than US H1B mess, changing place to place like nomads for projects and yes better than the 1.5 typical travel to work on jammed roads in India or hour long travel in Mumbai locals.

I think of working in US in future but never under the mess of H1B body shopper. I will try TN1 visa (now 3 years). I am not against working on H1B but not under the desperate terms that one has to typically do if one has Indian passport. The way i see is that skilled immigration to US is over under Eb2-I/Eb3-I. A lot of people have yet to accept the reality.

uma001
08-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Hello PAL

I also came to Toronto in 2007. I was a F1->H1B tired of the H1B dance through stamping,
body shopper etc. I came in 2007, did MBA at U of T....doing well now. Yes Canada is tough job market but eventually it is working out....but hey US under H1B is tougher and worse. I never regret the decision. If I have to take the decision again, I will take the same decision.

One thing for sure...I am definitely better than US H1B mess, changing place to place like nomads for projects and yes better than the 1.5 typical travel to work on jammed roads in India or hour long travel in Mumbai locals.

I think of working in US in future but never under the mess of H1B body shopper. I will try TN1 visa (now 3 years). I am not against working on H1B but not under the desperate terms that one has to typically do if one has Indian passport. The way i see is that skilled immigration to US is over under Eb2-I/Eb3-I. A lot of people have yet to accept the reality.
Go_guy when did you come to US, When did you go to Canada (Toronto).Which job are you doing now in Toronto?

uma001
08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
If you dont have an offer from candian employer or you are not an international studen , then you should

•be a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the following occupations:
0111: Financial Managers
0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers
0311: Managers in Health Care
0631: Restaurant and Food Service Managers
0632: Accommodation Service Managers
0711: Construction Managers
1111: Financial Auditors and Accountants
2113: Geologists, Geochemists and Geophysicists
2143: Mining Engineers
2144: Geological Engineers
2145: Petroleum Engineers
3111: Specialist Physicians
3112: General Practitioners and Family Physicians
3141: Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists
3143: Occupational Therapists
3142: Physiotherapists
3151: Head Nurses and Supervisors
3152: Registered Nurses
3215: Medical Radiation Technologists
3233: Licensed Practical Nurses
4121: University Professors
4131: College and Other Vocational Instructors
6241: Chefs
6242: Cooks
7213: Contractors and Supervisors, Pipefitting Trades
7215: Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
7217: Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews
7241: Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)
7242: Industrial Electricians
7251: Plumbers
7252: Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers
7265: Welders and Related Machine Operators
7312: Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
7371: Crane Operators
7372: Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction
8221: Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying
8222: Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
9212: Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities

Where is the computer Engineer or IT analyst, Software Engineer in the list.
So OP (not sure he is in IT) cannot apply for Candada PR.

uma001
08-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Only option left for us is making 750k and invest in business in US, You get green card . Otherwise go bakc to india.

go_guy123
08-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Go_guy when did you come to US, When did you go to Canada (Toronto).Which job are you doing now in Toronto?

I first came in 1999 Fall as MS student. Then in between, I went back to India during the 2002 downturn and then came back in 2005. I did my MBA finance at U of T and now
working as Analyst since my second year ( due to F1 visa restrictions I couldn't have
done that in US). After graduation I am working there but looking for better options as well.

I came as PR in Canada. But i look at the international students from India in U of T. They are far better of than the international students in US. Here they get 3 years work permit
after graduation and can also work part time while studying. With new rules u get PR quickly after 1st year. Also during the 3 year post degree now they are eligible for the government health care like PR/Citizens. Canadian immigration is now highly tailored toward people
studying/working in Canada.

Compared to that, US treats its international students like dogs. If I get the opportunity to relive, one thing that I would not have taken was doing my previous MS in US. Moving to Canada was the smartest decision taken...no regrets.

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 12:02 AM
If you dont have an offer from candian employer or you are not an international studen , then you should

•be a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the following occupations:
0111: Financial Managers
0311: Managers in Health Care
0631: Restaurant and Food Service Managers
0632: Accommodation Service Managers
0711: Construction Managers
1111: Financial Auditors and Accountants
2113: Geologists, Geochemists and Geophysicists
2143: Mining Engineers
2144: Geological Engineers
2145: Petroleum Engineers
3111: Specialist Physicians
3112: General Practitioners and Family Physicians
3141: Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists
3143: Occupational Therapists
3142: Physiotherapists
3151: Head Nurses and Supervisors
3152: Registered Nurses
3215: Medical Radiation Technologists
3233: Licensed Practical Nurses
4121: University Professors
4131: College and Other Vocational Instructors
6241: Chefs
6242: Cooks
7213: Contractors and Supervisors, Pipefitting Trades
7215: Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
7217: Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews
7241: Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)
7242: Industrial Electricians
7251: Plumbers
7252: Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers
7265: Welders and Related Machine Operators
7312: Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
7371: Crane Operators
7372: Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction
8221: Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying
8222: Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
9212: Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities

Where is the computer Engineer or IT analyst, Software Engineer in the list.
So OP (not sure he is in IT) cannot apply for Candada PR.

Yes this rule was added in Feb 2008. Now Canada skilled immigration is mainly open to
people studying/working in Canada.

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Only option left for us is making 750k and invest in business in US, You get green card . Otherwise go bakc to india.

Yes if you are born in India, then US skilled immigration is closed for EB2/3...its over..finished. I realized this in 2005 itself and started preparing, applied for Canada
PR in 2006. Took GMAT and applied for MBA. I only applied for Canadian schools...not 1 US school...I learnt my lesson...fool me twice shame on me. In 2007, I got my Canada PR
and well my MBA admission. I paid resident tuition fees, got loans from Banks as I was a PR. The plan worked picture perfect.

Interestingly when I was applying for my MBA in Canada, one friend of mine was preaching to me to do in US and not Canada....well guess what ...he got his a** handed over to him and lost his job and is back in India. He applied to US top schools and thankfully he didnt get admission. Overwise I dont know what would have happened.

I am in touch with Indian student in US B-schools like Harvard as well. Their life is living hell now with 20+ lakh loans in India with parent's home as collateral. Employers run away like seeing ghosts moment you mention H1B.

billu
08-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes if you are born in India, then US skilled immigration is closed for EB2/3...its over..finished. I realized this in 2005 itself and started preparing, applied for Canada
PR in 2006. Took GMAT and applied for MBA. I only applied for Canadian schools...not 1 US school...I learnt my lesson...fool me twice shame on me. In 2007, I got my Canada PR
and well my MBA admission. I paid resident tuition fees, got loans from Banks as I was a PR. The plan worked picture perfect.

Interestingly when I was applying for my MBA in Canada, one friend of mine was preaching to me to do in US and not Canada....well guess what ...he got his a** handed over to him and lost his job and is back in India. He applied to US top schools and thankfully he didnt get admission. Overwise I dont know what would have happened.

I am in touch with Indian student in US B-schools like Harvard as well. Their life is living hell now with 20+ lakh loans in India with parent's home as collateral. Employers run away like seeing ghosts moment you mention H1B.

why didnt ur friend apply for MBA in canada?....i think a lot of people have misconceptions and pre-conceived notions about canada.......they think of US as the best and canada does not even figure in their list of options......i have got fooled once into h1b to US unaware of the broken immigration system.......wont happen again......i believe the ones in US on h1b visa from india should spread the word about the pathetic EB 2/EB3 india scenario so that no one else gets lured into US by h1b candy

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 12:53 AM
why didnt ur friend apply for MBA in canada?....i think a lot of people have misconceptions and pre-conceived notions about canada.......they think of US as the best and canada does not even figure in their list of options......i have got fooled once into h1b to US unaware of the broken immigration system.......wont happen again......i believe the ones in US on h1b visa from india should spread the word about the pathetic EB 2/EB3 india scenario so that no one else gets lured into US by h1b candy

Yes it was his first lesson. Yes US is good but not for EB2-I/EB3-I. I was also fooled when I came for my MS before. Not anymore.

uma001
08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
GO_GUY,

How much finance is required to do MBA in canada say in top 50 universities. Can we get financial aid for international students?

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
GO_GUY,

How much finance is required to do MBA in canada say in top 50 universities. Can we get financial aid for international students?

There is no aid for international students. U of T is very expensive for international students, 86K CAD for MBA. Try others like U of Calgary, Alberta etc. very reasonable.
check out their website.

bharat2008
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi all,
This discussion is very valuble for people like me deciding between living in Canada as PR vs H1B USA .We all know that salaries in USA are slightly better than Canada .But now the exchange rate is almost equal.

Salary:
Can a person with family(2 kids) survive in Canada with CAD 50,000 / year salary in a place like Toronto.? I heard in Canada you pay 13 % tax on anything you buy .Does 50 % of your income goes in taxes ?

HealthCare:
Also is the government sponsored health care good compared to USA .I mean do you have any wait to see specialists.Is healthcare comparable to USA .

Immigration:
In USA anyone can get a Greencard regardless of their qualifications and it depends how early you enter the GC queue.But looks like in Canada they value your educations and other qualifications.Can IT professionals (non-managers) apply for Canada PR without a job or canadian education?

Canadian Citizenship:
Many people want to get Canadian citizenship and return to USA with TN Visa .In future ,could USA put restrictions on this .?

Please share your thoughts .

Thankyou

billu
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi all,
This discussion is very valuble for people like me deciding between living in Canada as PR vs H1B USA .We all know that salaries in USA are slightly better than Canada .But now the exchange rate is almost equal.

Salary:
Can a person with family(2 kids) survive in Canada with CAD 50,000 / year salary in a place like Toronto.? I heard in Canada you pay 13 % tax on anything you buy .Does 50 % of your income goes in taxes ?

HealthCare:
Also is the government sponsored health care good compared to USA .I mean do you have any wait to see specialists.Is healthcare comparable to USA .

Immigration:
In USA anyone can get a Greencard regardless of their qualifications and it depends how early you enter the GC queue.But looks like in Canada they value your educations and other qualifications.Can IT professionals (non-managers) apply for Canada PR without a job or canadian education?

Canadian Citizenship:
Many people want to get Canadian citizenship and return to USA with TN Visa .In future ,could USA put restrictions on this .?

Thankyou

yes these are very relevant qs.....will someone from canada pls advice abt these especially the cost of living, property and savings....

uma001
08-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

Salary:

HealthCare:

Immigration:

Canadian Citizenship:

Thankyou

Bharat,

Did you read post#43 ont his thread. Doors are closed for canadian PR for those are in NON Managerial IT positions. Try Australian PR. here is the helpful link
MODL - Migration occupations in Demand for Australia (MODL) (http://www.australia-migration.com/page/MODL/58)

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Bharat,

Did you read post#43 ont his thread. Doors are closed for canadian PR for those are in NON Managerial IT positions. Try Australian PR. here is the helpful link
MODL - Migration occupations in Demand for Australia (MODL) (http://www.australia-migration.com/page/MODL/58)

Yes you are correct. But if you have MBA in mind in future then you can have a look at Canada. A lot of people on H1B have applied for MBA in Canada and they contact me for
views/advice.

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

Salary:

HealthCare:
Also is the government sponsored health care good compared to USA .I mean do you have any wait to see specialists.Is healthcare comparable to USA.

Immigration:
In USA anyone can get a Greencard regardless of their qualifications and it depends how early you enter the GC queue.But looks like in Canada they value your educations and other qualifications.Can IT professionals (non-managers) apply for Canada PR without a job or Canadian education?

Canadian Citizenship:

Thankyou

Yes salaries and opportunities are greater in US. I am not denying that. Actually
an Indian family friend of mine here in U of T, his wife happens to be born outside
India. I always advice them to keep an eye on opportunities in US, GC is worth the hassle for him.

With 2 kids you get tax benefits from Govt. Yes its hard. But its even harder and risky with
H1B in US. Taxes are high and so I am now planning to work as sole proprietorship
, something that I am not allowed to do in US.

Socialist Health care can never be equal to privatized health care in US.
In Canada you pay in terms of wait times (but not as bad as the private insurance lobby is portraying in US nowadays)
But if it is non emergency and needs long waiting I can get that done in India as well.

Skilled immigration is closed for non IT managers now.

Actually US has lately liberalized the TN1 visa for Canadians. It used to be 1 year but lately increased to 3 years. As H1Bs are squeezed out of US, the demand for non H1B needing people will increase and that can benefit TN1 visa holders.

hsingh82
08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
yes these are very relevant qs.....will someone from canada pls advice abt these especially the cost of living, property and savings....

I have never lived in Canda but married to a Candian citizen so I am writing this with her help and with my limited knowledge. I don't think 50K per year is enough, you may survive but living standard won't be as good, say, compared to Texas (if you are in CA then its different comparison). You pay more taxes, high insurance premiums, clothes are expensive etc. everything is higher. As per my bro-in-law, the sale price of houses in Houston is less that the cost of building house in Toronto (he is a financial consultant in Toronto). I heard socially Canada is better than US and have nicer people.

Heathcare is free (not dental, vision etc.) but you eventually pay more taxes for that so if you are planning to bring your parents this could be good but for healthy young family basically you pay more taxes for health of others. Healthcare can be compared to US but not as good because there is cap on doctor's income (300K??) and many good doctors move to US.

TN is defnitely good and hopefully it will remain for canadian citizens and can be renewed with no cap for maximum years but but your dependents can not work with your TN visa.

I, myself, have applied for Canadian PR and should get it soon but that's just as stand by and won't move there unless I have to.

saileshdude
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Bharat,

There is a lot more Racism in Australia than Canada nowadays as you must have read in the news. Also anyone moving from US to Canada it will be easier to move, as the culture is pretty much the same. Road rules are the pretty similar. But getting a job would be tough compared to australia.

But I would still say Canada is still a better option than Australia (lot of natural resources)

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I have never lived in Canada but married to a Canadian citizen so I am writing this with her help and with my limited knowledge. I don't think 50K per year is enough, you may survive but living standard won't be as good, say, compared to Texas (if you are in CA then its different comparison). You pay more taxes, high insurance premiums, clothes are expensive etc. everything is higher. As per my bro-in-law, the sale price of houses in Houston is less that the cost of building house in Toronto (he is a financial consultant in Toronto). I heard socially Canada is better than US and have nicer people.

Heath care is free (not dental, vision etc.) but you eventually pay more taxes for that so if you are planning to bring your parents this could be good but for healthy young family basically you pay more taxes for health of others. Health care can be compared to US but not as good because there is cap on doctor's income (300K??) and many good doctors move to US.

TN is definitely good and hopefully it will remain for Canadian citizens and can be renewed with no cap for maximum years but but your dependents can not work with your TN visa.

I, myself, have applied for Canadian PR and should get it soon but that's just as stand by and won't move there unless I have to.

Yes what you are saying is true. I am not denying that but how long can you stay on
H1B is the question. But yes I also started with 50k but I am moving up. IT salaries are higher. I know banks paying 70K and going even more above 80K. You can also work as independent contractor type unlike H1B. No middle men inbetween and all expenses before tax.
Yes ofcourse US is a far bigger economy. But I was born in India, what can I do. Within my contraints I am looking for best possibility.
When I feel down/upset I look at this video and I feel far better and motivated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPmY4nIjVE&feature=channel_page

Since your wife is Canadian citizen, basically your downside risk in US is hedged. If things don't work out you can quickly move to Canada. But for others with Indian passport
it is not so. Like I said before I am not against working in US under TN1 or H1B. Just that
I am willing to work under desperate body shopper slave like conditions. If I get position under direct client in H1B its fine with me. In fact when your company knows that you are not that desperate they also treat you differently. Is your wife also born in Canada, if so then it is even beter, you are out of the EB-I trap. You should definiately look for US options.

Long back when we were working under H1B/OPT for a company in US, there was the annual bonus/promotion announcement. And I saw that none (except 1) of the H1Bs got a promotion. Just one H1B got promotion and that person had recent married a US citizen. Basically the company knew that its leverage over him is gone and in order to retain him they need to promote him. It is all a zero sum game my friend.

hsingh82
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes what you are saying is true. I am not denying that but how long can you stay on
H1B is the question. But yes I also started with 50k but I am moving up. IT salaries are higher. I know banks paying 70K and going even more above 80K. You can also work as independent contractor type unlike H1B. No middle men inbetween and all expenses before tax.
Yes ofcourse US is a far bigger economy. But I was born in India, what can I do. Within my contraints I am looking for best possibility.
When I feel down/upset I look at this video and I feel far better and motivated: YouTube - Man with no legs and arms - Inspiring story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPmY4nIjVE&feature=channel_page)

Since your wife is Canadian citizen, basically your downside risk in US is hedged. If things don't work out you can quickly move to Canada. But for others with Indian passport
it is not so. Like I said before I am not against working in US under TN1 or H1B. Just that
I am willing to work under desperate body shopper slave like conditions. If I get position under direct client in H1B its fine with me. In fact when your company knows that you are not that desperate they also treat you differently. Is your wife also born in Canada, if so then it is even beter, you are out of the EB-I trap. You should definiately look for US options.

Long back when we were working under H1B/OPT for a company in India, there was the annual bonus/promotion announcement. And I saw that none (except 1) of the H1Bs got a promotion. Just one H1B got promotion and that person had recent married a US citizen. Basically the company knew that its leverage over him is gone and in order to retain him they need to promote him. It is all a zero sum game my friend.

These were answers to someone who asked questions and not a reply to your post.

americandesi
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
go_guy123, since you have MS+MBA, you should seriously consider applying for US GC in EB1 category. I know a friend who had similar qualifications and he got this EB1 GC approved within a year. You need not be in US to apply in EB1 and you can do all the paperwork in Canada via consular processing. My .02 cents.

dummgelauft
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
GO_GUY,

Canada does not have 50 universities, in TOTAL. So your choice is limited to
(1) Queens University in Kingston, Ont.
(2) University of Toronto
(3) UBC

go_guy123
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
go_guy123, since you have MS+MBA, you should seriously consider applying for US GC in EB1 category. I know a friend who had similar qualifications and he got this EB1 GC approved within a year. You need not be in US to apply in EB1 and you can do all the paperwork in Canada via consular processing. My .02 cents.

I dont think MS+MBA makes a case for EB1. Anyway I can look into it. Pease PM me some details/contact of your friend if you can give.

I know long long back in early 90s they were liberal about EB1, not any more.

bharat2008
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for providing your great inputs.I will work on applying to Australian immigration before they change the rules .

IfYouSeekAmy
08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
India would be a good option for an Indian. For others I still think Canada and Australia are are the best options after US, in terms of standard of living, quality of life etc. It will take India decades more to achieve the same standards.

jsb
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Canada does not have 50 universities, in TOTAL. So your choice is limited to
(1) Queens University in Kingston, Ont.
(2) University of Toronto
(3) UBC

Well, that is not true. Canada does have 50 universities. Kingston, Toronto and Vancouver are not the only places in Canada. Besides many universities in Toronto area (McMaster, Toronto, Waterloo, York, Ryerson) other Provinces such as Alberta, Saskatchwan, Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick, New Foundland, etc. all have good universities. If you are a PR, tuition is very low compared to the US. If you are outstanding in your field, you can hope for a grant too.

H1bslave
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
First thanks to those who put there first hand experience in this thread, it made me think again. And now I am deciding to cross the border and go north, after 9+ years in US on H1b.

Could someone please refer a Do-it-yourself kit that they have used and/or immigration consultant?
I contacted one consultant, they email almost every week and when I called/emailed them saying I am ready to pursue there has been no response from other side yet.

It will be great help for me if you could refer a kit or a consultant.

Looking forward to join H1->Canada community :D

Thanks
H1bslave

uma001
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
First thanks to those who put there first hand experience in this thread, it made me think again. And now I am deciding to cross the border and go north, after 9+ years in US on H1b.

Could someone please refer a Do-it-yourself kit that they have used and/or immigration consultant?
I contacted one consultant, they email almost every week and when I called/emailed them saying I am ready to pursue there has been no response from other side yet.

Thanks
H1bslave

H1bslave,

Are uou IT manager or working in non IT field. If you are in IT and non manager then doors are closed for you to go to canada.

go_guy123
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
H1bslave,

Are uou IT manager or working in non IT field. If you are in IT and non manager then doors are closed for you to go to Canada.

If you have plans of doing an MBA in future, then Canada would be a better option than US. Otherwise as uma001 points out, doors are closed for most professions except 38 occupations.

H1bslave, in your case your PD is Sep 5 EB2. I see something in the distant horizon. PD of 2007 and beyond or EB3-India I see no hope.
Atleast you can survive on a lifeboat called EAD and AC21.

H1bslave
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
H1bslave,

Are uou IT manager or working in non IT field. If you are in IT and non manager then doors are closed for you to go to canada.

Thanks for looking into my post.
I have MS + MBA and also have PM experience.

Any suggestion for my original request?

thanks in advance.

Thanks
H1bslave

jsb
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
If you have plans of doing an MBA in future, then Canada would be a better option than US. Otherwise as uma001 points out, doors are closed for most professions except 38 occupations.

H1bslave, in your case your PD is Sep 5 EB2. I see something in the distant horizon. PD of 2007 and beyond or EB3-India I see no hope.
Atleast you can survive on a lifeboat called EAD and AC21.

Note that list of occupations changes constantly. I lived in Canada for 20 years after coming as PR on point system. It works well there, if you think money is not everything. Education is equally good. People, of course are far nicer and friendlier. Even border immigration and custom staff show a friendly face and attitude..

go_guy123
08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for looking into my post.
I have MS + MBA and also have PM experience.

Any suggestion for my original request?

thanks in advance.

if you can get letter from employers/H1B application that you worked as PM then you can apply. Also I think the work has to be within certain years

IfYouSeekAmy
08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I used David Cohen at Canada Immigration - Information on Immigration to Canada (http://www.canadavisa.com/)

They did a good job. My only complaint with they kept changing the paralegal that was handling my case like 3 times during the whole process. Otherwise no problmems.

Thanks
H1bslave

go_guy123
08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Note that list of occupations changes constantly. I lived in Canada for 20 years after coming as PR on point system. It works well there, if you think money is not everything. Education is equally good. People, of course are far nicer and friendlier. Even border immigration and custom staff show a friendly face and attitude..

Actually the list of occupations was added from Feb 2008. Prior to that any skilled occupation based on NOC code was eligible.

The main immigration bill was in 2002 called IRPA. What it did was give the rule making authority to the executive branch from the legislative branch. So unlike US, after 2002 IRPA rule in Canada, if there is need to change the rule (eg add occupation list) it does not need the legislature to pass the rule change.

On the whole rules have been tightened. The main problem was that more people were eligible and applied than the annual quota. Now they have pretty much restricted to people who have studied or worked in Canad or belonging to skilled trade occupations.

go_guy123
08-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I used David Cohen at Canada Immigration - Information on Immigration to Canada (http://www.canadavisa.com/)

They did a good job. My only complaint with they kept changing the paralegal that was handling my case like 3 times during the whole process. Otherwise no problems.

Canada rules are not complicated at all. You don't need any agent for doing paperwork.
Either you are eligible or not.

hsingh82
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Canada rules are not complicated at all. You don't need any agent for doing paperwork.

I agree.

IfYouSeekAmy
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree but I was only repklying to his request.

sk.aggarwal
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I recently applied under 0213. I agree process is not as complicated as it sounds also I am not sure what value add a lawyer will do apart from keying information from you in the forms. My suggestion - do it on your own. Use this forum Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/skilled-worker-professional-immigration-b4.0/)

and this step by step guide
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

go_guy123
08-21-2009, 03:50 PM
India would be a good option for an Indian. For others I still think Canada and Australia are are the best options after US, in terms of standard of living, quality of life etc. It will take India decades more to achieve the same standards.

Actually its the quality of life why people are here on H1B.
Barring that I dont see other reason.

permfiling
08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I am not negating anyone's personal decision here but after leaving for 10 yrs in US and still not having a GC makes me wonder why I should go to canada rather I would go to india and live there where we spent our 25 yrs or so and be part of the community etc.

Well every country has its own issues though.

sk.aggarwal
08-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I guess it depends... I would prefer to slog with weather in Canada for 3 years and get citizenship instead of stuggling for 4-5 years with desi consultanting company to get GC. My sixth year is about to start in december 2009 and employer has told that they will not sponsor GC. I am planning to take citizen ship from Canada and then move back to India. That way, anytime I want to come back to US/Canada doors will be open. I guess, there is no right or wrong answer, its a matter of choice.

go_guy123
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess it depends... I would prefer to slog with weather in Canada for 3 years and get citizenship instead of stuggling for 4-5 years with desi consultanting company to get GC. My sixth year is about to start in december 2009 and employer has told that they will not sponsor GC. I am planning to take citizen ship from Canada and then move back to India. That way, anytime I want to come back to US/Canada doors will be open. I guess, there is no right or wrong answer, its a matter of choice.

Plus you children will also have option of deriving Candian citizenship from you but but...
they will also be in EB2/3-India. Just a thought

go_guy123
08-21-2009, 06:26 PM

In fact, I also thought like you. I decided to do an MBA , so out of that 3 years 1.5 years were used up by my MBA.

moonrah
08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I recently applied under 0213. I agree process is not as complicated as it sounds also I am not sure what value add a lawyer will do apart from keying information from you in the forms. My suggestion - do it on your own. Use this forum Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/skilled-worker-professional-immigration-b4.0/)

and this step by step guide
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

Can you please provide the reference through whom you applied? I thought 0213 category is not eligible anymore.

sk.aggarwal
08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Can you please provide the reference through whom you applied? I thought 0213 category is not eligible anymore.

Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list)

krishmunn
08-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I am seriously considering this option. I have over 6 years experience as Manager in two large Indian IT companies (part of which is in L1A visa). However, I have detailed experience letter for about 2.5 years. The other company (through which I came on L1A earlier) does not give detailed experience letter per their policy. They gave a summary letter with start date-end date, designation and basic salary. I can get maximum point with 4 years experience.

Does anyone know if Canadian Immigration accept secondary evidence like coworkers letter and/or my job description as mentioned in the L1 petition by that company.

Also, does anyone know how much prep is required for IELTS ?

GCScrewed
08-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Certainly Canada is much much better option. Wish people had talked about it 10 years ago. So for those who just came to America or those who are deciding where to go to work or to school, Canada should be the first choice. You will actually have more flexibility being a Canadian than American.

go_guy123
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I am seriously considering this option. I have over 6 years experience as Manager in two large Indian IT companies (part of which is in L1A visa). However, I have detailed experience letter for about 2.5 years. The other company (through which I came on L1A earlier) does not give detailed experience letter per their policy. They gave a summary letter with start date-end date, designation and basic salary. I can get maximum point with 4 years experience.

Does anyone know if Canadian Immigration accept secondary evidence like coworkers letter and/or my job description as mentioned in the L1 petition by that company.

Also, does anyone know how much prep is required for IELTS ?

Your L1 petition and letter from coworkers in letterhead is good enough. Write a cover letter describing your job and give photocopies of the evidence. I used my H1B petition
to provide my job description.

americandesi
08-22-2009, 02:37 PM
In fact, I also thought like you. I decided to do an MBA , so out of that 3 years 1.5 years were used up by my MBA.

The placement statistics from the Rotman school of Management website is quite impressive.

I've a few questions for you. How bright are the job prospects after doing an MBA from U of T in the current recession wolrd? Are part-time MBA students given equal opportunity in job placements? What's the % of placement among Canadian vs US employers?. Howmuch salary can a person with Engineering degree + US experience + Canadian MBA expect to get?

go_guy123
08-23-2009, 02:07 AM
The placement statistics from the Rotman school of Management website is quite impressive.

I've a few questions for you. How bright are the job prospects after doing an MBA from U of T in the current recession wolrd? Are part-time MBA students given equal opportunity in job placements? What's the % of placement among Canadian vs US employers?. Howmuch salary can a person with Engineering degree + US experience + Canadian MBA expect to get?

Placement statistics there are hyped up. Not that great. However the US ones are also hyped. So lets be fair here. US school dont tell
foreign students that without GC employers dont even want to look at you. Even Harvard foreign students are having a very bad time.

Plus here they allow spouse to work. If the marriage is more than 3 years , then that
spousal work permit leads to resident tuition as well. In US F4 cant work. Even you cant work off campus. Without working you have to support 2 persons (for married people)
Compared to Canada, US literally treats foreign students like dogs....I dont understand why people from India still come to do MS in US. Yes I know I have done MS in US and MBA in Canada....so I can compare first hand.

Let me be honest. Opportunities in Canada is no way compared to US for a US Citizen/GC.
However if you are not a US Citizen/GC then you are far better off in Canada.

Lately Rotman is a bit too expensive for non-resident tuition. So I wont recommend that to international students. However you can choose U of Calgary etc. I was a PR before I joined Rotman so I got loans, worked part more than 20 hrs week (often more than 30 hrs). Leaving H1B job in US for a MBA in Canada was one of the best decisions I have taken. In fact I was so convinced that I should not do MBA in US that I didnt even apply in
US schools.

Answering your specific questions

International students in Canada are doing better than international students in US who need an H1B. In Canada after 1st they all applied for
PR and are close to getting PR Plus they get 3 year unrestricted work permit. It has been bad. But now I see eventually all are getting full time employment.

Part time students cant apply through the full time career center. But they can talk and annend info session. Most people including fulltime
MBA get jobs outside career center.

US experience isnt give a premium. Canadian experience is always prefered. 60K to 70K is the typical salaries that foreign students are getting. Well I never said that Canadian oppotunities are great but what i can say is that Canada is a better option if you are not a
GC/USC.

It is hard to compare Canada vs India. India as other problems. If you want finance sector jobs then it is Bombay. It involves long travel
of 2 hours in locals each way. 4 hours travel...there is no personal time left after work. I personally cant take it...it might be different
for others. Power problems, traffic jam etc is there. It about what you consider quality of life, and that is different from person to person.

billu
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
It is hard to compare Canada vs India. India as other problems. If you want finance sector jobs then it is Bombay. It involves long travel
of 2 hours in locals each way. 4 hours travel...there is no personal time left after work. I personally cant take it...it might be different
for others. Power problems, traffic jam etc is there. It about what you consider quality of life, and that is different from person to person.

coming to US/Canada vs india, my friend who went back to india after 6 yrs here on h1b last april, says that he has adjusted back to his life there.......he has power cuts,limited water supply,traffic jams,long commute,sarkari issues like bills etc (hes in delhi)but he has accepted that as a part of life just like the first 25 yrs of his life when he was in india......so its very subjective and a matter of personal choice.......if u are ready to adapt,then u will be fine but if u always keep comparing ur lifestyle here v/s in india in terms of "quality of life" then u'll not b satisfied