PDA

View Full Version : Succesfully ported from EB3-I to EB2-I, waiting for 485 approval

soumeeram
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to share the story of my successful porting from EB3-India to EB2-India. I got my EB2 labor and I-140 approved, waiting for 485 to be approved.

1998 - 2001:
--------------
Completed my Masters in 1998 and worked in India/UK until 2001. Came to US first time in 2001 on a B1 visa for two weeks.

2002 - 2006 (Company A):
-----------------------------
Came to US in 2002 on H1 first time with one of the big IT companies. Oh.. What a golden days were those! I just gave my passport to our company HR. I did not even know that I need to go to US consulate to get it stamped. I knew nothing about US consulate, waiting in lines, April-October timeframes, Quota, Stamping etc., but I have my passport with H1 stamping and papers in hand within 2 months. I never really visited the US consulate in India until 2006.

Got H1 extended in 2004 for first time.

Resigned in May 2006 and joined another big Indian IT company by doing a H1-transfer, as it is not ready to process my GC.

2006 - 2011 (Company B):
Joined in May 2006.

Company B applied my GC during July 2007 fiasco. The pre-approved labor was valid then and my company has got a EB3-I Oct 2004 pre-approved labor. They asked my choice, whether to go with it or a fresh EB2 (2007). I did not know much about GC and thought EB3 2004 is better than EB2 2007, how stupid ? ! So in July 2007, my company applied I-140 and 485 together in EB3.

Got married in 2008. By 2010 I realized the blunder I made in selecting between EB3 vs. EB2. Started thinking to port. Finally in Nov 2011, I accepted an offer from an American small-mid size IT Company. They agreed to port my GC. Actually, they started the EB2 labor process in June 2011, and by the time I joined them in Nov 11, they already filed my EB2 labor.

2012 - Current (Company C):
---------------------------------
Joined in Nov 2011.

Got EB2 labor approved in Feb 2012. Applied I-140 in premium and got approval in March 2012 with older PD. Applied I485 for my wife, and my 485 is now linked to the fresh EB2 Labor/I-140. Waiting for the 485 approval.

Attorneys:
-----------
Company B's attorneys are The Chug firm and they did fine. They were professional and knew about all the immigration stuff.
Company C's attorneys are Lynn Susser/Greg Siskind firm; I say they are the best. Very professional, prompt and patient enough to reply all my emails/phone calls/questions. They knew what they are talking and would advise the best. I will recommend them to anyone.

Cost:
-----
Company B covered 95% of total expenses.
Company C covered 70% of total expenses. (Premium and dependent expenses are not covered)

All these years, I am on H1. Never applied for EAD/AP even though I am eligible. Because my wife will lose her H4 status. I am still on H1 and will let go off it only when I get my Green card :). I never had any issues while extending/stamping the H1 or at PoE. Travelled at least 8-10 times to India during this period.

Now waiting for our GCs to be approved in next 2-3 months.

Best Regards

skal
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Good luck!!! You will be greened soon.

homealone26
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
What Stage were you Label to retain your Old priority Date ?? PERM or I-140...

Did you send your previous I-140 with your new PERM application ??

Hi,

I just wanted to share the story of my successful porting from EB3-India to EB2-India. I got my EB2 labor and I-140 approved, waiting for 485 to be approved.

1998 - 2001:
--------------
Completed my Masters in 1998 and worked in India/UK until 2001. Came to US first time in 2001 on a B1 visa for two weeks.

2002 - 2006 (Company A):
Came to US in 2002 on H1 first time with one of the big IT companies. Oh.. What a golden days were those! I just gave my passport to our company HR. I did not even know that I need to go to US consulate to get it stamped. I knew nothing about US consulate, waiting in lines, April-October timeframes, Quota, Stamping etc., but I have my passport with H1 stamping and papers in hand within 2 months. I never really visited the US consulate in India until 2006.

Got H1 extended in 2004 for first time.

Resigned in May 2006 and joined another big Indian IT company by doing a H1-transfer, as it is not ready to process my GC.

2006 - 2011 (Company B):
Joined in May 2006.

Company B applied my GC during July 2007 fiasco. The pre-approved labor was valid then and my company has got a EB3-I Oct 2004 pre-approved labor. They asked my choice, whether to go with it or a fresh EB2 (2007). I did not know much about GC and thought EB3 2004 is better than EB2 2007, how stupid ? ! So in July 2007, my company applied I-140 and 485 together in EB3.

Got married in 2008. By 2010 I realized the blunder I made in selecting between EB3 vs. EB2. Started thinking to port. Finally in Nov 2011, I accepted an offer from an American small-mid size IT Company. They agreed to port my GC. Actually, they started the EB2 labor process in June 2011, and by the time I joined them in Nov 11, they already filed my EB2 labor.

2012 - Current (Company C):
---------------------------------
Joined in Nov 2011.

Got EB2 labor approved in Feb 2012. Applied I-140 in premium and got approval in March 2012 with older PD. Applied I485 for my wife, and my 485 is now linked to the fresh EB2 Labor/I-140. Waiting for the 485 approval.

Attorneys:
-----------
Company B's attorneys are The Chug firm and they did fine. They were professional and knew about all the immigration stuff.
Company C's attorneys are Lynn Susser/Greg Siskind firm; I say they are the best. Very professional, prompt and patient enough to reply all my emails/phone calls/questions. They knew what they are talking and would advise the best. I will recommend them to anyone.

Cost:
-----
Company B covered 95% of total expenses.
Company C covered 70% of total expenses. (Premium and dependent expenses are not covered)

All these years, I am on H1. Never applied for EAD/AP even though I am eligible. Because my wife will lose her H4 status. I am still on H1 and will let go off it only when I get my Green card :). I never had any issues while extending/stamping the H1 or at PoE. Travelled at least 8-10 times to India during this period.

Now waiting for our GCs to be approved in next 2-3 months.

Best Regards

homealone26
03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
What Stage were you able to retain your Old priority Date ?? PERM or I-140...

yt576c
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Congratulations on your successful porting. Wish you good luck for 485.

I wonder, what if your wife loses H4 status? Is there a benefit of staying on H4 ?

skal
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
His 485 was filed in 2007 and he got married in 2008 and to retain his wife on H4 in USA he maintained his H1b and later he included her when porting from EB3 to EB2.

skal
03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
What Stage were you able to retain your Old priority Date ?? PERM or I-140...

"Priority date porting is done at 140 stage."

soumeeram
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you skal for the correct answers.

Yes, During the new I-140, my older PD has been captured on to it. I sent the scanned copies of my previous I-140 approval, I-485 receipt notice to the lawyer. They prepared a letter while filing EB2 I-140 and sent those two copies. It is as simple as that.

Yes, I got married after applying my I-485 as single. So to maintain my wife's H4 status in US I need to maintain H1, even if I am eligible for EAD/AP. Other options for her would be to go on F1 or her own H1. She already had masters in India, not really in a good mood to study again :) . Going on H1 seemed risky during 2008-2010 as well. So H1 for me/H4 for my wife was the best option

ras
03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Want to know if any one has ported recently..

hr3012soon
03-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Want to know if any one has ported recently..

I AM A NEW MEMBER BUT I WAS visiting IV for many years , I am an Indian EB2
The reason that i joined today is because i wanted to protest against the way that IV handeled the HR 3012 .

1 Why didnt you try to think about a bill that wont hurt other immigrants , some of my friends at work (ROW EB2 and 3) are looking at me already as an enemy . you created miitrust in the whole immigration comunity towards you and us .
2 This bill is died at the moment that a powerfull senator like Grassley decided to put a hold on it , why do you keep asking money from people , are you using this money for good reasons ? do you have any acountability ? .
3 I believe that this bill awakaned senator Grassley and motivated him to start sending letters to UCSIS , the president and that what is probably causing the delays and RFEs and deniles of H1 and L1 extensions and new applications . Thank you very much IV core team you did a great Job scre wing a lot of new and current Immigrants form India that a lot of them dont even have an EAD like most of the EB3 I guys that support this bill.
4 Pappu is saying that he is lobying for the bill , but why wasnt it included in the Jobs bill that just passed the house , where is the Lobying effort , It would be harder for Graslley to oppose a major bill like this .

Pappu , I think that you are a full of hot air and the usage of the money that you took from
desparate EB3 i people should be investigated .

I know that this post will be deleted , but then i know that everything that i said was true .