View Full Version : how to change from L2 to F1 without L1 documents

01-06-2014, 06:10 AM
hi everyone,

I have been to USA on L2 and came back to India with some personal issues.

Now i got I 20 and went for visa stamping but was rejected for two times.

the reason that i was rejected that the Visa Officer was asking "you already have been to USA on L2, where is your husband, show me L1 documents" so i could not tell them truly that i have some personal issues with him.

now my question is""Is that sufficient to avoid asking questions on my L2 status," if i show strong proof from attorneys that i have some issues with my husband and iam going to take divorce."

my L2 is going to expire by last week of march 2014.

please give your valuable suggestions.

01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I would say you need some legal advice here to know exactly what to do in your situation. It is understandable why the officer would question why you would want an F1 visa when you already have an L2 visa through your husband on L1. However, I understand that personal problems could make it difficult to be in the US on your L2. Ask an attorney as soon as possible so you can get on with your life with full peace of mind.

01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
You could try this.
I had a friend in a similar situation on H4 and did not leave US. Had filed for divorce.
I order to stay in US legally she switched to F1 based on full disclouser of the pending divorce.
It took about an year to get F1 but her stay was extended untill thw time she got the F1.

So you can come back to US in L2 and then try F1.

Hope this helps.

01-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi cyrilg,

this is sandhya. i need to ask few questions regarding change of status from L2 to F1. please send your maild id and my mail id is sandhya.akula123@gmail.com