View Full Version : Divorce in USA

04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
I am on a student visa in USA. I came to USA in 2006 after getting married under Islamic laws in India and stayed on a dependent H4 visa for 3 years. My two kids were born here in USA. My husband took us back to India in 2009 and deserted us there. He refuses to live with me nor give me my rights and pays just $400 of child support, that too after months of begging him while he is earning well in canada and has Canadian PR and probably citizenship also by now. He took away my PR of Canada which is expired now and left me in the lurch. I somehow managed to come back to USA last year and have been facing a tough time surviving here, studying and managing kids. I want to know if I can apply for divorce in USA? What are the pros and cons of applying for a divorce? Can I claim alimony and child support if he is living in Canada now? Is there any way to make him pay for putting me and my kids through so much trouble?

04-17-2014, 12:28 PM
if your two kids were born in the US, you don't need to have been ever married to the person to get child support. Contact Office of Child Support Enforcement. They will send you the paperwork.