View Full Version : Lost opt ead card and passport in India

06-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I came to India 2 weeks back and lost my passport with F1 visa unexpired and OPT EAD CARD with end date till Jan 2017.

Can someone guide me on how to proceed further? I have reapplied for new passport and completed police verification. Can I apply for OPT EAD Card without my old passport and old Visa stamping until I wait for my new passport ?

Please suggest me if any other options are available to get my F1 Visa and OPT EAD Card.

06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
You'll need a new F1 visa to travel to the United States. F1 visa process during the OPT period generally requires having a EAD card. (Travel Abroad and Visa Renewal During OPT - International Education Services - UMBC (http://ies.umbc.edu/international-students-f-1/after-graduation/travel-abroad-and-visa-renewal-during-opt/))

I think you need to:
1. Replace your lost EAD card first (https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/employment-authorization-document)
You may wish to request expedited handling. (https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria)

2. Apply for F1 visa

06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Another thing, from http://www.ciis.edu/Documents/PDFs/International%20Students/OPTFAQ%280%29.pdf

I lost my EAD card, how do I get a new one?
You will need to apply for a new card again. You will need to submit a copy of your original application as well as a new application fee. If you have a copy of your lost EAD card, you should submit this as well.