PDA

View Full Version : A possible new workaround to mitigate retrogression

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I was just thinking about this the past couple of months and maybe we dont even need to ask for Green cards. MAYBE our approach should be "Let the H4s work". Once husband and wife can both work, the green card can take its time. Right now the Biggest problem with most people is that "my spouse cannot work!". Maybe if we lobby for h4s to be eligible to work that may solve the problem.

Now before this suggestion creates a HUGE "Dhoom", this is JUST a suggestion. The current political climate does not look like it is going to be easy in any way to put any provisions for Green card increases. Besides if the logic is "Let temporary workers be temporary", this approach fits in with that logic, coz we are not asking for GCs (permanent residency), just more temporary EADs.

asdqwe2k
02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think the only reason is "wife's cannot work".. The other reason for most is changing employers, and career growth while I-485 is in process.

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think the only reason is "wife's cannot work".. The other reason for most is changing employers, and career growth while I-485 is in process.

You can keep changing employers once your I-140 is approved. You need to restart ur GC process but you can keep ur PD (if not revoked) and get a 3 year extension immediately based on the Approved I-140.

Sure it's not the best case scenario, but atleast you CAN do it. But for most married folk their spouses on H4 CANNOT work without EADs or waiting a year till the H1 quota opens. Even with the quota opening unless your spouse is into business or IT it is VERY tough to get an H1 for the spouse.

chanduv23
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
You can keep changing employers once your I-140 is approved. You need to restart ur GC process but you can keep ur PD (if not revoked) and get a 3 year extension immediately based on the Approved I-140.

Sure it's not the best case scenario, but atleast you CAN do it. But for most married folk their spouses on H4 CANNOT work without EADs or waiting a year till the H1 quota opens. Even with the quota opening unless your spouse is into business or IT it is VERY tough to get an H1 for the spouse.

Letting h4s work in "non specific-skilled jobs" may actually work against us because they will be in direct competition with local people in those jobs and anti immigrant will be against it. I guess porting to h1 from h4 can be a good option and a feasable option.

dagabaaj
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I think this is great idea EB3_NEPA. We need to work on this!!! A good interim solution. That way we can actually show the contribution that we can make to the society as a family. Does anyone have an idea where we can start?

How about sending letters to our representatives and then contacting the media on the plight of our spouses rather than on us!!! May be the human rights folks can help us on this.

krishna.ahd
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Letting h4s work in "non specific-skilled jobs" may actually work against us because they will be in direct competition with local people in those jobs and anti immigrant will be against it. I guess porting to h1 from h4 can be a good option and a feasable option.
Folks
Stay focused our (IV) Main Agenda, please dont get distracted with all these ideas.

rimzhim
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I think this is great idea EB3_NEPA. We need to work on this!!! A good interim solution. That way we can actually show the contribution that we can make to the society as a family. Does anyone have an idea where we can start?

How about sending letters to our representatives and then contacting the media on the plight of our spouses rather than on us!!! May be the human rights folks can help us on this.
can the H4 not apply for a new H1B? Is H4 barred from applying for H1B? If not, I don't see where the prob lies. plus how will this solve the retrogression issue?

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Folks
Stay focused our (IV) Main Agenda, please dont get distracted with all these ideas.

Krishna we are focussed on the main goal, Unfortunately we have yet to see any headway and may not see any this year either coz of the million other problems. Hence my suggestion of alternate strategies. Like I said, just a suggestion.

485Mbe4001
02-05-2007, 05:19 PM
What happens if H4 spouse is working and the primary applicant on approved I140 is laid off ?

Seriously how long do you think you have the patience to stay in a limbo with I-485 pending. At the current rate you will be in that state for 10-15 years, think about it.

rimzhim
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Krishna we are focussed on the main goal, Unfortunately we have yet to see any headway and may not see any this year either coz of the million other problems. Hence my suggestion of alternate strategies. Like I said, just a suggestion.
yes but your spouse is ALLOWED to apply for a separate H1B. so i don't see why you are making an issue out of this. no human right activist will buy this argument.

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
can the H4 not apply for a new H1B? Is H4 barred from applying for H1B? If not, I don't see where the prob lies. plus how will this solve the retrogression issue?

Not all professions can apply for H1Bs. You need to have specific skills that the US does NOT have. Someone on here had once posted that his wife could not work as a teacher although the school was ready to offer her a job, coz there is no H1B category for teachers. The H1B visa cannot help spouses in all professions. Hence my suggestion.

About how this will solve retrogression, IT WONT. My point is instead of trying to bring this retrogression beast down, maybe we should look at alternatives to work around it.

rimzhim
02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Not all professions can apply for H1Bs. You need to have specific skills that the US does NOT have. Someone on here had once posted that his wife could not work as a teacher although the school was ready to offer her a job, coz there is no H1B category for teachers. The H1B visa cannot help spouses in all professions. Hence my suggestion.

About how this will solve retrogression, IT WONT. My point is instead of trying to bring this retrogression beast down, maybe we should look at alternatives to work around it.
thanks for explaining. my suggestion then is to go to school on F1 (maybe ?) and get a degree that can help him/her get a job that qualifies under H1b.

Our main goal to solve the retrogression problem.

GCBy3000
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Make H4 illegal and get a job in farm land. Then in two years you will get your gc as dependent. Just kidding.

This country does not like legals. We have to get all the illegals(if agjobs bill get passed) on legal boat behind us and at the end they will also realize what the sh..t it is to be as a legal in this country. Then IV will get more members and funds and they will get united with us.

Again, if they take different queue than us then we are in SOUP. We have to make sure we get our bills, if somehow we fail on this and illegals gets something, still we need to make sure illegals come behind our queue. If this is done, then even our little whisper will be heard across the globe. What a pity situation for taxpaying legals. By this time, it will be 2025 and my son will take care of me.

GCAmigo
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
eb3_nepa's request is valid in the context that spouse of an L1 can take up any Job.. & the spouse of the proposed 'Blue Card" can take up any job.. why not a H4?

h1b_slave
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM

If it is not the skill that US does not have then what argument are we going to give to lawmakers for asking for such a provision ?

You need to restart ur GC process but you can keep ur PD (if not revoked) and get a 3 year extension immediately based on the Approved I-140.
what if it is revoked, do we any options for getting PD back ?

centaur
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
On a personal level, it might be helpful to you, however there are others here who want to --start their own company, change employers, go back to school and over and above all be able breathe without feeling suffocated by the system, and reap benefits of the multiple contributions they have made, for, so many years, to the american society.

Hello everyone,

I was just thinking about this the past couple of months and maybe we dont even need to ask for Green cards. MAYBE our approach should be "Let the H4s work". Once husband and wife can both work, the green card can take its time. Right now the Biggest problem with most people is that "my spouse cannot work!". Maybe if we lobby for h4s to be eligible to work that may solve the problem.

Now before this suggestion creates a HUGE "Dhoom", this is JUST a suggestion. The current political climate does not look like it is going to be easy in any way to put any provisions for Green card increases. Besides if the logic is "Let temporary workers be temporary", this approach fits in with that logic, coz we are not asking for GCs (permanent residency), just more temporary EADs.

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
thanks for explaining. my suggestion then is to go to school on F1 (maybe ?) and get a degree that can help him/her get a job that qualifies under H1b.

Well then by that logic the US Govt can turn around and tell all of us the same thing right? This is our processing time, take it or go elsewhere :)

Also converting to an f1 has SERIOUS implications. For starters you have to shell out a LOT of money for a full time degree. Secondly in some cases the person may STILL not be eligible to apply for an H1 coz that job profile.

Lastly I did not mean we contact Human rights activists for the same.

Carlau
02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
eb3_nepa's request is valid in the context that spouse of an L1 can take up any Job.. & the spouse of the proposed 'Blue Card" can take up any job.. why not a H4?

I cannot agree with you more.

On the other hand for those ones that say that we (H-4s) could apply for H-1B easily, it is not easy if you are not in IT. Some people said -although doesn't make much sense looking that L-1 and Blue card spouses would be able to work-, that if you do not want the H-4s to compete with average joes?, then an intermediate solution is to require a Bachellor degree minimum education requirement for getting the H-4s a H-4B (my new name for employment authorization), yes, dependend on the H-1B, if the H-1B is laid off the H-4 would still have the chance to apply for H-1B (without counting in the yearly quota) or leave the country after 6 months. Why should we get a F-1 visa?, most of us arrived highly educated.

Most people do not seem to understand that the spouses of L-1s (legal) can work, and the spouses of Blue card holders (Agjobs) would be able to work, so leaving the H-4s out is DISCRIMINATION!

shirish
02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I agree to this to a certain extent, but along with "Spouse canot work" the other issue is getting tied to an employer and getting exploited as a result of that.

logiclife
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Before this thread takes a turn where supporters and opponents of this idea start another forum war, let me say this clearly:

IV is not going to adopt this as an agenda item. The reason is quite simple: H4s not being able to work is low on priority of problems that need to be fixed in order to mitigate retrogression or other consequences of retrogression.

And frankly, we do not have extra kind of support to add new agenda items on our list.

A whopping 200 people signed up for recurring contributions of $20 per month. Out of 8000 people who registered here and got emails about it. However, almost every week, there is no shortage of new ideas and no shortage of opinions on those new ideas from people.

We get $20 deposits each month from 200 people. But as far as opinions are concerned, we get hundreds of them each week. How nice? I wish we had some machine to convert those opinions into dollars.

If you dont agree:

Now, if someone feels offended by this, and feels that H4 issues are orphan issues, or if this organization does not represent them anymore since IV does not want to adopt H4 related issues on its agenda, and if that someone wants to leave, then please leave without any threats and feel free to start your own organization.

And this thread has all the features and ingredients neccesary to become a forum war. If that happens this thread will be deleted.

dixie
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I agree.All these are "workarounds" that we are asking for - such as letting spouses work, let us change jobs freely etc etc acutally just amount to asking for all the benefits of a green card without having one. IT detracts from our primary goal and puts us on the defensive with respect to anti immigrants - we now not only have to defend the utility of H1s to the US economy (shortage of technical skills etc), but even H4s and so on ..

Carlau
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Before this thread takes a turn where supporters and opponents of this idea start another forum war, let me say this clearly:

IV is not going to adopt this as an agenda item. The reason is quite simple: H4s not being able to work is low on priority of problems that need to be fixed in order to mitigate retrogression or other consequences of retrogression.

And frankly, we do not have extra kind of support to add new agenda items on our list.

A whopping 200 people signed up for recurring contributions of $20 per month. Out of 8000 people who registered here and got emails about it. However, almost every week, there is no shortage of new ideas and no shortage of opinions on those new ideas from people.

We get $20 deposits each month from 200 people. But as far as opinions are concerned, we get hundreds of them each week. How nice? I wish we had some machine to convert those opinions into dollars.

If you dont agree:

Now, if someone feels offended by this, and feels that H4 issues are orphan issues, or if this organization does not represent them anymore since IV does not want to adopt H4 related issues on its agenda, and if that someone wants to leave, then please leave without any threats and feel free to start your own organization.

And this thread has all the features and ingredients neccesary to become a forum war. If that happens this thread will be deleted.

I am very dissapointed but very glad you finally said it, wish you did 6 months ago.

GCard_Dream
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I hope you are not interested in politics because with your straight talk style, you won't make it too far in politics :D . I enjoy it however ;) .

chanukya
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Carlau,

Are you suggesting IV/logiclife promised to make H4 also be able to work 6 months ago, and now they back tracked.

And that was the reason you joined IV

I am very dissapointed but very glad you finally said it, wish you did 6 months ago.

rimzhim
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
what logic life says makes 100% sense. we are not here to fight --- there are other forums for that. in fact, i should not have respoded to eb3_nepa at all

Carlau
02-05-2007, 06:04 PM
what logic life says makes 100% sense. we are not here to fight --- there are other forums for that. in fact, i should not have respoded to eb3_nepa at all

I am not fighting but YES, my reason to join IV was to find justice to the H-4 not being able to work when L-1 spouses and Agjob spouses (I read this a year ago) could. Although no promises were made from IV, I was surprised today since nothing was ever said regarding no interest in the H-4 cause when many discussions were in place. Here people contribute for their own benefits, I was here for the H-4s, that is why I transcribed part of the conference calls too, so I was somehow a contributor to a cause that doesn't represnt my interests, but I know it represents the interests of the unmarried folks, or married to IT 'spouses' folks, so for this folks the fight for better legal provisions still on, good luck to you!.

logiclife
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Nothing was mentioned about H4's ability to work before because it has never been asked before as an agenda item for Immigration Voice. Yes, the inability of H4 visa holders to legally work has been discussed several times on this forum but no one has asked for it to become an agenda item or a goal for this organization before. Today it happened, and so I clarified that H4 related issues, the issues that affect only H4 are not a part of this organization. There are many agenda items that improve the situation of H4 spouses. Indirectly thru most of Immigration Voice goals, H4 spouses get benefit. And that is plenty of reason for H4 spouses to support Immigration Voice.

However, none of IV's goals have an item dedicated to H4 that benefit H4 only.

Goals of Immigration voice are listed on the homepage. Under item called "Immigration Voice Goals".

Ability to file for final stage of the Green Card even without visa number availability – this will provide tremendous relief during the long wait since it will allow applicants to transfer to jobs with an identical job description, travel freely, and allow their spouses to contribute to the economy.

Eliminate dependents from the employment-based immigration numerical quota – so that industry does not have to wait for green card employees while dependents use up an allotment that is meant for high-skilled workers.

Increase the employment-based immigration annual numerical quota and keep the per-country limit 'soft' – recognize industry needs and admit more high-skilled immigrants who enhance U.S. competitiveness and bring productivity gains for both immigrants and natives, raising the standard of living for the population as a whole.

Recapture previous years' unused employment-based immigration visa numbers from before FY 2006, and going forward make the recapturing process automatic – due to USCIS inefficiency visa numbers are lost every year even as hundreds of thousands of applicants wait, this would keep those visa numbers in the pool.

Allow applicants (a) with advanced degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering or Related Fields or (b) who have worked for more than 3 years in the US on H-1B, to automatically apply for adjustment of status and get their green cards without regard to the employment-based numerical quota – these workers enhance American Competitiveness.

Labor Certification Backlogs: Draw policy maker and DOL attention to huge backlogs in labor certification. Bring accountability and efficiency to DOL Backlog Elimination Centers - insist that BECs give clear information on case status and processing methods.

Immigration Processing (I-140/I-485) Backlogs: Draw policy maker and agency attention to huge backlogs in processing. Bring accountability and efficiency to USCIS Backlog processing - insist that USCIS give clear information on case status, pending security checks and the number of cases pending by category, national origin and priority date.

Convert all single-year H1-B, Employment Authorizations (EAD) and Travel Documents (Advance Parole) extensions to three year extensions – USCIS spends more resources issuing these interim documents than processing green cards in part because they must be renewed every year. Providing three year extensions would provide relief to both applicants and USCIS.

And yes, one more thing about H4 spouses:

A few months ago, we requested volunteers for Immigration Voice around DC, Maryland, Northern Virginia area. And we explicity said we need a volunteer to visit some offices occassaionally on behalf of IV, including lawmakers offices and offices of our lobbyists. H1s usually cannot take away 10-15 hours per week away from business hours (9-5) but H4 spouses can spare time during business hours to meet the lawmakers with out lobbyists a couple of times a week. We had one volunteer on H4 who worked very hard last year in DC but she was unavailable now this year for several weeks and is still not available these days and may not be available anytime soon.

Do you know how many of the hundreds of H4 spouses living in DC area volunteered to help?

Exactly 0.

So go figure, why this organization does not have any issues the directly benefit H4 only in its agenda item.

Thanks.

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok Logiclife, i did not intend to start a war or anything of the sort. I was just giving suggestions in light of the fact that inspite of IV working VERY hard, nothing is happening on the GC front. That is the ONLY reason I put up this post.

One more thing. You mentioned that a lot of people are not contributing, maybe the reason is that not everyone wants a GC that desperately. Some people are fine with working here temporarily and then going back after making some money. Besides some members who have contributed in the past may be wondering if it even makes sense to contribute again, being that there has been no real progress on the GC front since Dec 2005 (the birth of IV). Now do not get me wrong I KNOW how hard the IV team has worked and how many time we came SO SO SO close to getting our dreams realized in the Senate only to be crushed in the house again.

My point was, maybe it is time to face the facts. The government has changed but the basic attitude towards the "immigrant" is the same. This is because the average American, views immigrants as a threat. Now we can argue all we want on that statement, but in our hearts we know that the "AVERAGE American" would rather Not have immigrants come to the US (legal or illegal). In light of these events does it not make sense to ask for simpler goals? Goals like 485 filing or H4 Eads etc. Sure it makes us look weak in front of the anti-immigrants, but then are we here to solve our problems or to prove the anti-immigrants wrong?

Lastly this was NOT a threat nor was it intended to be a Threat that "take my advice or i will leave". Just a simple suggestion in light of things to come.

pitha
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
My already high regard for IV has increased 10 fold with this clear message of yours. It was high time for all the people issuing threats thatís they would leave IV if there ideas were not accepted by IV, to just leave and do everybody a favor.

Bravo, I salute you for your courage. Hope people will come in line and back IV core decisions and donít fight each issue.

Either lead or be lead. The people in the core team have come forward sacrificing there personal time and money for our cause. So lets just follow there lead and not fight IV core teams decisions.

If you dont agree:

we_can
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I do not agree with the premise that 'IV agenda does not have any benefit for H-4 problem'. Once the larger issue of retrogression is solved, it will solve the H-4 problem also. As a matter of fact, me and a lot of active members are interested in the H-4 issue that is directly affecting us. But I believe that addressing the core of the problem here is what is necessary and that is what IV is pursuing.

we_can

I am not fighting but YES, my reason to join IV was to find justice to the H-4 not being able to work when L-1 spouses and Agjob spouses (I read this a year ago) could. Although no promises were made from IV, I was surprised today since nothing was ever said regarding no interest in the H-4 cause when many discussions were in place. Here people contribute for their own benefits, I was here for the H-4s, that is why I transcribed part of the conference calls too, so I was somehow a contributor to a cause that doesn't represnt my interests, but I know it represents the interests of the unmarried folks, or married to IT 'spouses' folks, so for this folks the fight for better legal provisions still on, good luck to you!.

chanukya
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
IV has to priorotize before going to a lobbyist, with very very few contributions made, its very difficult to have everything bundled into a single request.

Its also unfair that L1 has to work for specific company but L1 spouces can work for any company any job, its so funny, when you think H1 has to work for specfic company and only for specfic job, but spouces can work for any compnay any job any salary without any labor department intervention

Immmigration awareness has increased a lot among US voters, when it comes to threat of their jobs being lost, and democratic senators are very much aware of it, hence CIR is no longer their priority.

I am not fighting but YES, my reason to join IV was to find justice to the H-4 not being able to work when L-1 spouses and Agjob spouses (I read this a year ago) could. Although no promises were made from IV, I was surpired today since nothing was ever said regarding no interest in the H-4 cause when many discussion were in place. Here people contribute for their own benefits, I was here for the H-4s, that is why I transcribed part of the conference calls too, so I was somehow a contributer to a cause that doesn't represnt my interests, but I know it represents the interests of the unmarried folks, or married to IT spouses folks.

logiclife
02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok Logiclife, i did not intend to start a war or anything of the sort. I was just giving suggestions in light of the fact that inspite of IV working VERY hard, nothing is happening on the GC front. That is the ONLY reason I put up this post.

One more thing. You mentioned that a lot of people are not contributing, maybe the reason is that not everyone wants a GC that desperately. Some people are fine with working here temporarily and then going back after making some money. Besides some members who have contributed in the past may be wondering if it even makes sense to contribute again, being that there has been no real progress on the GC front since Dec 2005 (the birth of IV). Now do not get me wrong I KNOW how hard the IV team has worked and how many time we came SO SO SO close to getting our dreams realized in the Senate only to be crushed in the house again.

My point was, maybe it is time to face the facts. The government has changed but the basic attitude towards the "immigrant" is the same. This is because the average American, views immigrants as a threat. Now we can argue all we want on that statement, but in our hearts we know that the "AVERAGE American" would rather Not have immigrants come to the US (legal or illegal). In light of these events does it not make sense to ask for simpler goals? Goals like 485 filing or H4 Eads etc. Sure it makes us look weak in front of the anti-immigrants, but then are we here to solve our problems or to prove the anti-immigrants wrong?

Lastly this was NOT a threat nor was it intended to be a Threat that "take my advice or i will leave". Just a simple suggestion in light of things to come.

I know you are not threatening to leave. But eventually some one will. It always happens when one or other item is included or excluded from agenda.

Anyways, this isnt about looking weak or strong against anti-immigrants. That is really not the issue here.

Its about how much we can have in our list of items. There is only so much anyone can do. Forget about us, even bigger organizations have priorities in order. Immigration Voice also has to have a priority. We cannot talk to anyone about fixing the H4 issues before the issues of retrogression are talked about. And we cannot talk about ALL OF THEM because there is room for only so much to talk about. There is a limit on everything. Limit on how much funds we have, limit on how much political capital does our lobbyist spend on our organization with lawmakers, limit on how much leverage the lawmaker uses to sponsor an amendment for us. No one has unlimited capacity to get things achieved. So in that sense, H4 issues really cannot be on the list. And as far as "nothing is happening, let's get temporary relief and let's not fight for more numbers" idea is concerned, we are already doing that by trying to get 485 filing provision done in next few days as a temporary relief. Now tell me, how is that not tied to H4s. EVERY SINGLE ITEM on our goals benefits H4 spouses indirectly. Including the short term goals of IV.

dagabaaj
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM
EVERY SINGLE ITEM on our goals benefits H4 spouses indirectly. Including the short term goals of IV.

Well what eb3_nepa and me are eluding to has no intention of superseeding the main agenda nor is it in anyway a distraction, it just the germination of an idea out of circumstantial frustration. Also if we truly belive what we are doing is right then there is no question of leaving this forum.

We all support the main agenda and also have a very positive attitude that we will see the light of a bright new day very soon. God willing we all will have our GC in 2 years or so.

GCAmigo
02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
bottom line is any relief to anyone will be a BIG achievement.. thanks logiclife for a CLEAR statement..

viva
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello everyone,

This is a blatant violation of what IV stands for. When you are asking for your spouse to work, you are indirectly saying that it is your priority instead of a GC.

So, are you just interested in making more money or getting a GC? If you are interested in your spouse working, it indicated you want to make more money. This will come at a cost of IV not being able to push the GC as a priority item.

Please analyze your requests, its impact on the organization and the morale of the core team before posting such irrelevant posts. Right now, the goal of the organization is to push forward the GC agenda without getting distracted with "H-4 needs to work request".

Go IV!!!!!!!!!!! Go IV Core!!!!!!

viva
02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I know you are not threatening to leave. But eventually some one will. It always happens when one or other item is included or excluded from agenda.

Anyways, this isnt about looking weak or strong against anti-immigrants. That is really not the issue here.

Its about how much we can have in our list of items. There is only so much anyone can do. Forget about us, even bigger organizations have priorities in order. Immigration Voice also has to have a priority. We cannot talk to anyone about fixing the H4 issues before the issues of retrogression are talked about. And we cannot talk about ALL OF THEM because there is room for only so much to talk about. There is a limit on everything. Limit on how much funds we have, limit on how much political capital does our lobbyist spend on our organization with lawmakers, limit on how much leverage the lawmaker uses to sponsor an amendment for us. No one has unlimited capacity to get things achieved. So in that sense, H4 issues really cannot be on the list. And as far as "nothing is happening, let's get temporary relief and let's not fight for more numbers" idea is concerned, we are already doing that by trying to get 485 filing provision done in next few days as a temporary relief. Now tell me, how is that not tied to H4s. EVERY SINGLE ITEM on our goals benefits H4 spouses indirectly. Including the short term goals of IV.

Logic - Do not get disheartened!!!!! IV will thrive.. Quality in membership is better than quantity.

purgan
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
IV core is doing a great job. One can't ask more of these great guys (and gals)!!

Although I support the idea and my spouse would be benefited by it, allowing H4s to work is a whole different ballgame and way more controversial than the current IV agenda. Your spouses will be able to work once you and they get EADs (although I know you will have to renew annually)...this is way more reasonable.

IV rocks!!

senthil
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
i personally vote for "one step at a time approach", which is been thoughtfully discussed and hand-picked , especially after thinking all the limitations we have in terms of $$, political support, member support, contribution support, etc etc

remember:
on every bill and every single effort we try to make after all these pains, every single mistake we make will cost us 6 months or more before we re-group educate memebers and others about what we can ask for in the next and satisfy IV members.

filling up bills with each and every single problem has taught us some lessons. so we decided to go small to see how it works. every single retro prob has dependancy on others. so as logiclife mentioned solving one will ease the other one or indirectly solve other issues. im not that good in explaining all those, but i can try one.

EG: see the scenario where H1B is not happy seeing H4 not being able to work. If our I-485 filing provision gets through, he/she can apply EAD for his/her dependant and all are happy.

dont always think "H4's cant work" "H4's cant work" "Compare with L1's".
im sure core team might have thought thru about a million times what needs to be done, when and how with all our limitations.

its a matter of just 15 days wait to see what we get. why throw in more and confuse people. dont we have even a little patience?

remember, one thing for sure - every single mistake we do from now on - the waiting punishment may be in years. and its for sure the retrogession will be solved in the future sometime, but no guarantee- in our living time in usa.

pardon me for any grammer / typos. im not used to this kind's big response

diqingshen
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
the current effort will solve this problem.

msyedy
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
This is a blatant violation of what IV stands for. When you are asking for your spouse to work, you are indirectly saying that it is your priority instead of a GC.

So, are you just interested in making more money or getting a GC? If you are interested in your spouse working, it indicated you want to make more money. This will come at a cost of IV not being able to push the GC as a priority item.

Please analyze your requests, its impact on the organization and the morale of the core team before posting such irrelevant posts. Right now, the goal of the organization is to push forward the GC agenda without getting distracted with "H-4 needs to work request".

Go IV!!!!!!!!!!! Go IV Core!!!!!!

I totally agree with you viva...

Is this a solution to retrogression?
Oh my god...
USCIS please let our spouses work and take as much time as you want to give us the green card we are not in a hurry!!!!

How can anyone come up with these un realistic solutions man.
True true true This persons intension is not a GC but make money...

Please let us not go further into this, let us prepare ourselfs to fight for the I-485 provision that IV is working on..

We shall overcome

eb3_nepa
02-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Oh my god...
USCIS please let our spouses work and take as much time as you want to give us the green card we are not in a hurry!!!!

Please let us not go further into this, let us prepare ourselfs to fight for the I-485 provision that IV is working on..

We shall overcome

First off, i have mentioned above that this is NOT a solution to retrogression. Secondly, the USCIS does not care what we say to them, they are going to take exactly how much time they want to take to process our Green cards. All I was suggesting was, we ask for interim relief. Now like Logiclife mentioned we are trying for smaller bits of interim relief and that is a reasonable answer. However please do not make remarks like "this person is here to make money and is not after GC". Are we not all after making money? Is that not why we want GCs? We certainly dont want the GC to frame it and keep it next to our other trophies do we? Then why are people accusing me of wanting to "make money"? The problem with some people on this forum is the lack of respect for an alternate view. It is one thing to disagree and it is another to make ridiculous off topic remarks about what someone said.

felix31
02-05-2007, 11:15 PM

H1B visa CAN BE and IS given to teachers. That poster may have had the problem similar to mine and that is having spent 6 yrs in H4, she was ineligible for H1. Let me remind everyone that decoupling of H1/H4 time happened only 2 months ago. Therefore, if the lady in question already possess Bachelor degree (as min requirement for H1) and is otherwise certifiable I dont see a problem for transfer to H1 .

the only problem may be in finding a school district willing to file H1 WELL in advance and accepting the fact that she cannot start working on SEP 1st (when the new school year starts) but OCT 1st.

rajuram
02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
H1B visa CAN BE and IS given to teachers. That poster may have had the problem similar to mine and that is having spent 6 yrs in H4, she was ineligible for H1. Let me remind everyone that decoupling of H1/H4 time happened only 2 months ago. Therefore, if the lady in question already possess Bachelor degree (as min requirement for H1) and is otherwise certifiable I dont see a problem for transfer to H1 .

the only problem may be in finding a school district willing to file H1 WELL in advance and accepting the fact that she cannot start working on SEP 1st (when the new school year starts) but OCT 1st.

Topics like these are distractions, please let us not bother IV core with these petty issues. Need of the hour is -- volunteer time or money. I am trying to do the latter with some success.

lonedesi
02-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I completely agree with Logiclife and the goals IV has setforth to solve our problems. There is only so much one can achieve with limited resources under which IV operates.
We need to have a set of priorities and work on that one step at time. Though I have not been to DC, I can understand what IV is going through to get us some relief. The least I can do is contribute for our cause and thats what I am doing right now.
I wish people had some common sense and better understanding of the bigger picture(& issues) before they get involved in finger pointing and asking for more.
Everyone, please be patient and support IV whole heartedly and financially so that we can atleast attempt to fix the broken immigration system. Though I am VERY optimistic that we will achieve our goals in the near future, but I would not regret even once, if we failed. It is better to try and fail than not give it a shot at all.

felix31
02-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Topics like these are distractions, please let us not bother IV core with these petty issues. Need of the hour is -- volunteer time or money. I am trying to do the latter with some success.

Did not mean to cause any distraction, but clear a misconception / misunderstanding that H1B is not for teachers.

cheers!

krishna.ahd
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I completely agree with Logiclife and the goals IV has setforth to solve our problems. There is only so much one can achieve with limited resources under which IV operates.
We need to have a set of priorities and work on that one step at time. Though I have not been to DC, I can understand what IV is going through to get us some relief. The least I can do is contribute for our cause and thats what I am doing right now.
I wish people had some common sense and better understanding of the bigger picture(& issues) before they get involved in finger pointing and asking for more.
Everyone, please be patient and support IV whole heartedly and financially so that we can atleast attempt to fix the broken immigration system. Though I am VERY optimistic that we will achieve our goals in the near future, but I would not regret even once, if we failed. It is better to try and fail than not give it a shot at all.
I fully agree , stay focused on the agreed agenda for now.

Ideal world or Dream World , one may wish to have GC along with SSN card itself , but reality right now fix is needed for the broken system called retro.

chanukya
02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Though they run for non-profit.

So public schools Elem/Middle/High , still have to go thru nornal H1B process for teachers, have to wait for OCT1, start date.

School is non-profit organization that is exempt from H1B quota. Correct me if I am wrong.

You can get H1B at any time if school is exempt from H1B quota.

ingegarcia
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Since you can study under H4 you cannot apply for F1 (My wife tried that already) :)

optimist578
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Though they run for non-profit.

So public schools Elem/Middle/High , still have to go thru nornal H1B process for teachers, have to wait for OCT1, start date.

If a new H1B visa application does not run against the regular quota, I don't think he has to wait till Oct. When my H1B got approved (under quota), I started in 2 months - February in my case.

optimist578
02-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Since you can study under H4 you cannot apply for F1 (My wife tried that already) :)

What if the spouse (H1B holder) has to leave the country for some reason, say for an year? Then how is the student supposed to maintain his/her status?

So, I don't think that is true. If you get admission as a full time student, then you should be eligible for F1. My husband did this successfully in 2001.

chanukya
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Public schools(Elem/Middle/High)--run against the quota, their start date is Oct1

If a new H1B visa application does not run against the regular quota, I don't think he has to wait till Oct. When my H1B got approved (under quota), I started in 2 months - February in my case.

chanukya
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes--Universties--come under non-profit as per INS, hence exempted from quota, but not Elem/Middle/High schools.

I got my H1B from a University starting Aug. As far as I understand, there is no H1B quota for non-profit. I also have a US degree. There is a separate H1B quota for US educated.

I don't know where I was plugged in. I don't remember any details.

purplehazea
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
So How come all we hear from the core team is requests for contribution? There is no detail of any actions/efforts that are happening currently? It will certainly be more engaging for all members to at least know what efforts are being worked on currently? I think expectations need to work both ways otherwise you just have an autocratic organization that has to follow and do as the leaders choose to do. Just my 2 cents and all you frustrated folks please take a deep breath before jumping in.

waitingGC
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
So How come all we hear from the core team is requests for contribution? There is no detail of any actions/efforts that are happening currently? It will certainly be more engaging for all members to at least know what efforts are being worked on currently? I think expectations need to work both ways otherwise you just have an autocratic organization that has to follow and do as the leaders choose to do. Just my 2 cents and all you frustrated folks please take a deep breath before jumping in.

The IV core is currently working on the provision which allows 485 filing without PD current.

GCAmigo
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
So How come all we hear from the core team is requests for contribution?
& you have the answer 2 ur question..

mudigondag
02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
It is not just wife's work permit problem. If you don't have GC and your kids are entering the college, they are not eligible for any scholarships are student loans. So you have to bear all the expenses from your pocket or you have to take a personal loan at a higher interest from some financial institution

GCAmigo
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
It is not just wife's work permit problem. If you don't have GC and your kids are entering the college, they are not eligible for any scholarships are student loans. So you have to bear all the expenses from your pocket or you have to take a personal loan at a higher interest from some financial institution
will supposedly be resolved via the proposed 'DREAM' Act.. yeah right everything is a big pipe dream...

felix31
02-06-2007, 01:36 PM

It is not possible in the current scenarion when H1 quota cannot last and is long gone before Fiscal Year even starts.

As you know FY 2008 starts on October 1st and H1 visas for FY 2008 can only have October 1st as start date.

H1 quota for FY 2007 was over last year in October. If not, then a wait of few weeks would not be a problem.

In your case, H1 quota did not run out and lasted at least six months into the fiscal year.

And for the upcoming FY 2008 I dont think it will last more than 2-3 months and will be over by the end of May, well before FY 2008 starts.

GCAmigo
02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
And for the upcoming FY 2008 I dont think it will last more than 2-3 months and will be over by the end of May, well before FY 2008 starts.
lasts even that long.. it probably will be exhausted during April itself..

felix31
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
lasts even that long.. it probably will be exhausted during April itself..

well, I have to keep my hopes up. Since I HAVE to wait to get H4 extension before I can apply for H1 transfer, I'd like to see them last long enough so that I can get an H1 IN time, this year.

It can be so disappointing to get the job but miss the quota for 2 consecutive years :mad: :mad: :mad: and then 2 years I was ineligible for H1 because of the 6 yr limit. :( :mad:

Anyway, every dog has its day and I am hoping this is the year when I get my H1. :D

logiclife
02-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Purplehazea:

I didnt know you have such doubts about the efforts of IV and its goals.

Anyways, have you every picked up the phone and called us to ask us what we are doing at that moment? What we did last week, what's our plan next week? You know, there is a phone number listed at several places on the website. That phone never rings. Oh yes, never. So who come you never seek answers where you can get them?

We have told several times, that we dont have time to keep everyone in loop about everything we do in DC, including every time we meet some staffer or someone. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Last week, Aman was in DC on Thursday and Friday (Jan 25 and 26) and had meetings with 3 senate staffers who work on Immigration. Then he went to India, then he came back straight to DC monday morning and since yesterday, he has met with 2 more staffers, our lobbyists.
We are also trying to find out about the schedule A rumor and if its true, to have the recaptured visas go to all categories not just schedule A.

So there, you have your update? If you want to know more, then call us on the phone.

And this update is the kind of update we dont usually post on forums. This is mundane advocacy stuff. Find me one organization that gives hour by hour update of what they are doing.

If you dont trust us, what are you doing here. Why dont you join the "bash IV" party at immigration portal and enjoy criticizing the arrogant IV core and its stupid blind followers. I am sure you will find many enlightened fellows like over at portal who are smart enough not to follow or believe in IV.

shree19772000
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I think core should ignore some of the comments from people who have no trust in IV. I know how it feels when someone undermines your genuine effort. People who cannot help can atleast support and encourage the core team by just being positive. I do not mean to offend anyone.

Please be united and do whatever you can, towards this common cause.

Thanks everyone....

pappu
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Purplehazea:

Anyways, have you every picked up the phone and called us to ask us what we are doing at that moment? What we did last week, what's our plan next week? You know, there is a phone number listed at several places on the website. That phone never rings. Oh yes, never. So who come you never seek answers where you can get them?

We have told several times, that we dont have time to keep everyone in loop about everything we do in DC, including every time we meet some staffer or someone. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Last week, Aman was in DC on Thursday and Friday (Jan 25 and 26) and had meetings with 3 senate staffers who work on Immigration. Then he went to India, then he came back straight to DC monday morning and since yesterday, he has met with 2 more staffers, our lobbyists.
We are also trying to find out about the schedule A rumor and if its true, to have the recaptured visas go to all categories not just schedule A.

So there, you have your update? If you want to know more, then call us on the phone.

And this update is the kind of update we dont usually post on forums. This is mundane advocacy stuff. Find me one organization that gives hour by hour update of what they are doing.

If you dont trust us, what are you doing here. Why dont you join the "bash IV" party at immigration portal and enjoy criticizing the arrogant IV core and its stupid blind followers. I am sure you will find many enlightened fellows like over at portal who are smart enough not to follow or believe in IV.
Well said Logiclife.
Calling us in not the solution. After you call us and get an update, tell us how you can help us and then actually help us.
Purplehazea, lets see if you now step up and come forward to help us in our efforts instead of ranting about us.
If you are one of those members that were once part of IV and either got banned or left because you felt we are working against your interests, then you were never part of this community and effort. This is a genuine effort and a lot of people's careers and personal lives are affected due to the greencard problem and we are genuinely trying to fix it. If you are trying to spread a negative message urging people not to contribute and posting negative remarks, then you either are not affected by retrogression (and so you dont belong here) or you are so naive that you are hurting your own interests by posting negative remarks on other forums.
Lets also see how many members are willing to come forward to actively work for IV and also contrbute for the cause.
lets also see how many H4s come forward to volunteer their time for this effort. We are on H1s and find it hard to manage our jobs and IV work. H4s can be a great asset in our volunteer efforts on various fronts.
lets see if there are any H4s who can commit to meeting each and every lawmaker in their state. Lets also see if there is any H4 in DC area who can commit to spend some hours daily meeting staffers in various DC offices and doing the running around work that some core members do by travelling to DC on their own money and use up their entire vacation time.

If you do any of the above, then come back and tell us what to do and what not to do. Give us all your ideas and suggestions and ask us to execute them for you. Then tell us that we are arrogant etc etc. Then tell us that you can do better than us and lead all of us. We are very open to this.

anirudh74
02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Logiclife, I am sorry you are wrong.You don't need to post hour by hour update, but the update you posted today on Aman's meetings , help people to understand what really IV is doing and are necessary atleast once a fortnight.I am sure you are working in a corporate world and drive projects.The first rule on driving a big project is status meetings once every week.This helps all the stakeholders.

pappu
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Logiclife, I am sorry you are wrong.You don't need to post hour by hour update, but the update you posted today on Aman's meetings , help people to understand what really IV is doing and are necessary atleast once a fortnight.I am sure you are working in a corporate world and drive projects.The first rule on driving a big project is status meetings once every week.This helps all the stakeholders.
Pls attend our 'meetings' in order to get more information on what we are doing. Join your state chapter and actively participate in those 'meetings'. We called for volunteers last week for the media drive and only 12 members out of thousands of members that saw that message responded. We want to encourage members to actively help us rather than wait for update from us. Each one of us can create an update for the community. Meet your lawmakers and update us. A handful of people cannot do much. It is the collective effort of this organization that will help us get success.

geve
02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Dear Core team,

Thanks for your efforts and initiative. Those who or not part of Core team has no right to question thier ability, or asking for updates every hour. This is purely a volunteer organisation founded and managed by Core team.

PAPPU and logicfile have every valid point. How many of us are really trying to help either work or financially? However we visit the site 10 times a day.

Well I request the CORE to kindly ignore and try to achieve our goals. No doubt in this aspect you are the leaders who took initiative. we try to follow and support our best.

Please ignore the people "who knows not and knows not that they knows not". Shun them.

PD 2003
I-140 Apr 2006
Contributed :$120
signed up for recuring $20

viva
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM

These are blantantly baseless comments. Your comments indicate that your frustration with retrogression has clouded your judgement. IV is one organization that will be able to help you and you are unable to recognize that.
Have you even made a single contribution? Or just made demands to get updates?

Before you talk about autocracy, look up its meaning in a dictionary. Nobody has forced you to join IV. Nobody held a gun to your head and told you to come to this forum. You are doing this of your own free will. This is not a paid service organization; it is purely voluntary. Understood!!!!!!!!

IV core can choose to respond to you at their will......So, next time you start complaining, remember that nobody cares about what you think about IV. You can fart as much as you want on other forums against IV, but IV will not falter in its effort to get retrogression relief.

viva
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
First off, i have mentioned above that this is NOT a solution to retrogression. Secondly, the USCIS does not care what we say to them, they are going to take exactly how much time they want to take to process our Green cards. All I was suggesting was, we ask for interim relief. Now like Logiclife mentioned we are trying for smaller bits of interim relief and that is a reasonable answer. However please do not make remarks like "this person is here to make money and is not after GC". Are we not all after making money? Is that not why we want GCs? We certainly dont want the GC to frame it and keep it next to our other trophies do we? Then why are people accusing me of wanting to "make money"? The problem with some people on this forum is the lack of respect for an alternate view. It is one thing to disagree and it is another to make ridiculous off topic remarks about what someone said.

Getting a GC will ensure that you can sustain your money making efforts in the USA. By getting diverted to interim relief for spouse, people will be able to make money, but not for too long without a GC. That's why the focus should be on an action that permanently fixes the situation, rather than a band-aid approach.

Your original comment was ," let temporary be temporary." Frankly, temporary solutions to the US immigration system have made it what it is now. What we need is a permanent fix. Please do not consider that your views are being disrespected. It is just a matter of figuring out the priorities : GC or temporary fixes.

viva
02-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Oh my god...

We shall overcome

At least, he/she is trying to come up with a solution. Just not the kind that would help!!!!

viva
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Purplehazea:

Hey logic- listen to me bro : ignore such posts for your own sanity. i have noticed that you tend to give detailed responses to people like deepak and purplehazea. I wonder why you waste your precious time answering all these miscreants when you know that you cannot change their views.

Just ignore these anti-IV people as they are either anti-immigrant or not genuinely interested in reform...... We need your energy for other higher priority and higher value work for the IV community....

Go IV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Go IV core!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rajuram
02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Core members please ignore such posts. Please continue with your great work.

Purplehazea: