PDA

View Full Version : Webfax to Sen. Bill Frist for adding ability to file I-485.

eb3retro
03-17-2006, 05:30 PM
How many of you here are in favour of starting a webfax lobbying to Sen. Bill Frist to add the ability to file I-485 if I-140 is approved and dates are not current? Thanks.

pasupuleti
03-17-2006, 05:32 PM
How many of you here are in favour of starting a webfax lobbying to Sen. Bill Frist to add the ability to file I-485 if I-140 is approved and dates are not current? Thanks.

Quite a few!

Widget
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Let us start.

eb3retro
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Let us start.

Can the forum leaders help us to do this. Can you guys start a webfax facility to Sen. Bill Frist. I do not have the ability to do that. We all need help from leads for this.

logiclife
03-17-2006, 05:57 PM
The content team is in the process of preparing the webfaxes.

Also, if someone is from Tennessee please speak up and contact Pratik or Anurag.

--Jay.

logiclife
03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
This is the time to roll up our sleeves and get organized. Please join us in getting the volunteers on board by clicking here and joining our conference call on Sunday for Volunteer recruitment.

We cannot organize our efforts and go to full speed in the next few weeks if the core team does not have anyone's name, phone number, state, zip, congressional district etc. We cannot seek help from people whose name and phone number are unknown to us.

Anonymity is great for forums and internet discussions but we need real people with names and phone number to help us.

The core team badly needs help at grassroots level in the next two weeks so please click on the link on the homepage and join our conference call for volunteer recruitment and orientation on March 19th at 2:00 EST.

http://www.immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=326

pdakwala
03-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Time has come that we get back to work. I on behalf of IV is urging everyone to come out and show your strength. Next week all the senators will be visiting their home town.

Please, please call them and tell them to support Immigration provisions that addresses the legal immigration. Please make sure that you convey the message that legal immigrants are facing problem and that needs to be fixed.

Tum ho to Hum hai
Ham hai to IV hai
Varna kuch bhi nahi.

eb_retrogession
03-17-2006, 07:05 PM
The content team is in the process of preparing the webfaxes.

Also, if someone is from Tennessee please speak up and contact Pratik or Anurag.

--Jay.

Guys from TN , pls roll up your sleeves and get to work. If any of you can get a meeting even with the local staff, I am willing to drive down (from GA) and help represent us . Please speak up!!

dish
03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Can IV setup a webfax for lobbying for Work authorization to H4 Visa holders ?

ragz4u
03-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Check this thread http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=343

spring2000
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM
It is a excellent idea. Don't add any other issues except 485 to avoid dilution and distraction.

munnu77
03-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Can IV setup a webfax for lobbying for Work authorization to H4 Visa holders ?

work authorisation fro h4 holdrs???????????????????????????????...lets ask for straight citizenship than green card...
cmon guys
i think people r getting crazy with the new developments....
limit ur demands..so tht these lawmakers can digest it...

i have a suggestion...dont send a common fax...these people will think some automatic machine is sending it in the world of advanced technologies...
put a blank space where people can write their own words...
whn diff people tell different stories...
they will read it...and it has more effect..
sorry if i am wrong

RNGC
03-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Friends....

I am not sure automated fax will help.....they may get frustrated with the number of faxes they receive....

Lets send one fax with all the names and addresses at the end....maybe we can even do a signature campaign....this is more effective and i am for each individual to write in their own a few lines...

pcs
03-18-2006, 10:52 AM
If IV sends a bunch of flowers along with anice letters to key guys like Bill Frist, Ted Kenneddy, Arlen Spectre..... IT WILL WORK. If some volunteer can hand carry it..... It will be great . in that case we can add a box of Donuts...

IV can sure afford this

ragz4u
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
But we will go with what QGA advises us. At present they have advised us to fax en-masse and we will go that way.

Also, we cannot just concentrate on one or two items. What happens if those items are removed during negotiations.

So we will stick to our agenda mentioned on the home page.

sai
03-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Do we have any web fax set up ? If so let us know.

xbohdpukc
03-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I think the bill should concentrate on eliminating or shrinking the retrogression rather than providing a temporary relief to those who are waiting and will still be waiting in the retrogressions after the bill is passed. Having this provision (ie filing I-485 during retrogression) included in the bill will create an enormous workload for USCIS and will distract its valuable resources from processing status adjustment to processing additional applications for EADs and APs.

eb3retro
03-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I think the bill should concentrate on eliminating or shrinking the retrogression rather than providing a temporary relief to those who are waiting and will still be waiting in the retrogressions after the bill is passed. Having this provision (ie filing I-485 during retrogression) included in the bill will create an enormous workload for USCIS and will distract its valuable resources from processing status adjustment to processing additional applications for EADs and APs.

xbohpdpukc - i believe you are not aware of those people's situation whose I-140 is also cleared but cannot file 485 due to retrogression. we cant change jobs , we cant get promoted, we cant travel out of country, spouses cant work etc etc. So, I totally disagree with you there. My best bet is that you have filed your 485. Cos, I will tell you friend, life is miserable without AP and EAD. I had a major family emegency and could not travel to home country as there are no visa dates as I cant get my AP as i didnt file 485 as there is retrogression. Hope you understand our situation.

nepaliboy
03-19-2006, 03:29 AM

This is very good idea , i am so please to do this.

gonecrazyonh4
03-19-2006, 10:46 AM
People like us with our LC's in Backlog centers would get a major releif if H4's are allowed to work. Our quality of life would improve - and our skills wont rot and we wont age out.

There is a long wait for us people who are at this stage with no light at the end of the tunnel.Its is imperative that these proposals include us.

xbohdpukc
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
xbohpdpukc - i believe you are not aware of those people's situation whose I-140 is also cleared but cannot file 485 due to retrogression. we cant change jobs , we cant get promoted, we cant travel out of country, spouses cant work etc etc. So, I totally disagree with you there. My best bet is that you have filed your 485. Cos, I will tell you friend, life is miserable without AP and EAD. I had a major family emegency and could not travel to home country as there are no visa dates as I cant get my AP as i didnt file 485 as there is retrogression. Hope you understand our situation.

as a matter of fact I have 140 approved and can't file 485.

the point is -- you can't get everything, something will get lost in the Senate debate of the conference fight. The effort should be concentrated on the most important things -- eliminating retrogression. As for the lack of ability to file for AP and EAD, well, I have (and I assume you do as well) my H1 visa which is valid and extenable beyond 6th year now, what's wrong with it? I'd rather have my employer paying for its extension than having a headache extending EAD and AP every year and paying for the process myself.

Ramba
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I do not know why peoples want to live indefintly in tempropry-unprotechted status. I understand the peoples eager to file 485 during visa unavailability. It wont help in long run. It is a temporey relief. Working in EAD, changing jobs using AC21 is always risk. Though I have EAD and my 485 is pending more than 9 months, still I feel it is unsafe and risk in changing the job. Go thro all the forum and how many 485s were denied due to job change using AC21. It is always risk in using AC21. Though it is a law, there is no final rule releaded by USCIS regarding the porting the job. If your past employer wan to give trouble, it is highly risk.

Why our people are worrying about filing AOS when visa number unavailable? Man, this should not be our concern at all. Our main concern should be reinstating the AC21 provision that allow the oversubscribed countries to use excess visas in each EB category. Specter/Frist removed very important provision that eliminate per country limit in EB visas for oversubscribed countries. This is a big blow to India, China. It will stop all the benefits from this bill.

If the current form of bills passes, there is no benefit to any of us. If EB visa increased to 290K, excluding dependents from counting from FY 2001, recapturing unused visa from 2001 to 2005, and excluding EB1 (OR+EA) and EB2 (MS+3) from count, that drastically increase the visa numbers. The increase is unimaginable, and I feel that it will be about 4 to 5 times than current 140K numbers. If all the listed provisions appears in the final bill, the visa number will always be “current” for all countries for many years, provided AC21 (elimination of per country limit if demand is less than supply) reinstated. If this happens, no one needs to worry about filing AOS when visa number unavailable. That situation never arises.

If current form of Specter bill passes, all the new numbers created thro above listed provisions, will not give any benefit to India/China. DOS simply say per country limit is 10% only no matter what. Remember that, 10% is total of FB+EB numbers. (480000+290000). India and China FB numbers are also heavily backlogged. Therefore our main concern is to reinstate AC21 provision not filing AOS, and keep pressure to keep the listed provisions (EB visa increased to 290K, excluding dependents from counting from FY 2001, recapturing unused visa from 2001 to 2005, and excluding EB1 (OR+EA) and EB2 (MS+3)) in the final bill

eb3retro
03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I do not know why peoples want to live indefintly in tempropry-unprotechted status. I understand the peoples eager to file 485 during visa unavailability. It wont help in long run. It is a temporey relief. Working in EAD, changing jobs using AC21 is always risk. Though I have EAD and my 485 is pending more than 9 months, still I feel it is unsafe and risk in changing the job. Go thro all the forum and how many 485s were denied due to job change using AC21. It is always risk in using AC21. Though it is a law, there is no final rule releaded by USCIS regarding the porting the job. If your past employer wan to give trouble, it is highly risk.

Why our people are worrying about filing AOS when visa number unavailable? Man, this should not be our concern at all. Our main concern should be reinstating the AC21 provision that allow the oversubscribed countries to use excess visas in each EB category. Specter/Frist removed very important provision that eliminate per country limit in EB visas for oversubscribed countries. This is a big blow to India, China. It will stop all the benefits from this bill.

If the current form of bills passes, there is no benefit to any of us. If EB visa increased to 290K, excluding dependents from counting from FY 2001, recapturing unused visa from 2001 to 2005, and excluding EB1 (OR+EA) and EB2 (MS+3) from count, that drastically increase the visa numbers. The increase is unimaginable, and I feel that it will be about 4 to 5 times than current 140K numbers. If all the listed provisions appears in the final bill, the visa number will always be “current” for all countries for many years, provided AC21 (elimination of per country limit if demand is less than supply) reinstated. If this happens, no one needs to worry about filing AOS when visa number unavailable. That situation never arises.

If current form of Specter bill passes, all the new numbers created thro above listed provisions, will not give any benefit to India/China. DOS simply say per country limit is 10% only no matter what. Remember that, 10% is total of FB+EB numbers. (480000+290000). India and China FB numbers are also heavily backlogged. Therefore our main concern is to reinstate AC21 provision not filing AOS, and keep pressure to keep the listed provisions (EB visa increased to 290K, excluding dependents from counting from FY 2001, recapturing unused visa from 2001 to 2005, and excluding EB1 (OR+EA) and EB2 (MS+3)) in the final bill

I agree to what you are saying, if you have visa numbers, no need to worry about filing I-485, but in our case, even that is not there. So, i still stick to my argument that this filing of 485 even when visa numbers are not available is needed for many more people like us. Atleast h4 can start working, i can go home and come back peacefully. if visa numbers are available, then no problems at all..

logiclife
03-19-2006, 01:22 PM
The visa numbers increase and the ability to file 485 are of equal importance to Immigration voice and we will be fighting for both with equal emphasis in the next few weeks at all the levels- grassroots and DC - Advocacy level.

There is no such thing as One or the other. What's not there(485) - we will try to get it in, what's in there(quota raise) - we will try to protect.

--logiclife.

Ramba
03-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree to what you are saying, if you have visa numbers, no need to worry about filing I-485, but in our case, even that is not there. So, i still stick to my argument that this filing of 485 even when visa numbers are not available is needed for many more people like us. Atleast h4 can start working, i can go home and come back peacefully. if visa numbers are available, then no problems at all..

If current bill (either Specter or Frist) passes, no benefit to India or China. It will be same or worst than current situation. If per country limit is not eliminated, even if the visa numbers increase by 780,000 will not give any single benefit to India or China. If AC 21 provision brought back, then visa numbers always current for India and China. There is no need to worry about filing 485.

Here is the breakout of how much increse in EB visa numbers. Apart from this much increse, asking additional benefit like filing 485 when visa unavaliable is too much and unnecessary request, because that situation never going to happen.

Increase in Green Cards:
Family-Based Immigrants: 254,000 (eliminates subtraction of IRs from 480,000 cap)
115,000 (estimate of “unused” family-based visas, 2001-04)
SUBTOTAL: 369,000

Employment-Based Immigrants: 150,000 (cap increase from 140,000 to 290,000)
200,000 (est. post-secondary foreign students of math/science/tech/eng.)
50,000 (exempts NIVs w/ adv. degree in math/sci/tech/eng.)
2,396 (2004 extraordinary ability workers)
3,113 (2004 outstanding professors/researches)
168,000 (exempts families of employ-based immigrants)
90,000 (“unused” employ-based visas)
108,000 (exempt family of “unused” employ-based visa holders)
SUBTOTAL increase in EB visa : 771,509

Total EB visa 77
GRAND TOTAL GREEN CARDS: 1,140,509 (EVERY YEAR)

eb3retro
03-19-2006, 01:39 PM
may be you want to redo your calculation

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=346

If current bill (either Specter or Frist) passes, no benefit to India or China. It will be same or worst than current situation. If per country limit is not eliminated, even if the visa numbers increase by 780,000 will not give any single benefit to India or China. If AC 21 provision brought back, then visa numbers always current for India and China. There is no need to worry about filing 485.

Here is the breakout of how much increse in EB visa numbers. Apart from this much increse, asking additional benefit like filing 485 when visa unavaliable is too much and unnecessary request, because that situation never going to happen.

Increase in Green Cards:
Family-Based Immigrants: 254,000 (eliminates subtraction of IRs from 480,000 cap)
115,000 (estimate of “unused” family-based visas, 2001-04)
SUBTOTAL: 369,000

Employment-Based Immigrants: 150,000 (cap increase from 140,000 to 290,000)
50,000 (exempts NIVs w/ adv. degree in math/sci/tech/eng.)
2,396 (2004 extraordinary ability workers)
3,113 (2004 outstanding professors/researches)
168,000 (exempts families of employ-based immigrants)
90,000 (“unused” employ-based visas)
108,000 (exempt family of “unused” employ-based visa holders)
SUBTOTAL increase in EB visa : 771,509

Total EB visa 77
GRAND TOTAL GREEN CARDS: 1,140,509 (EVERY YEAR)

Ramba
03-19-2006, 01:39 PM
The visa numbers increase and the ability to file 485 are of equal importance to Immigration voice and we will be fighting for both with equal emphasis in the next few weeks at all the levels- grassroots and DC - Advocacy level.

There is no such thing as One or the other. What's not there(485) - we will try to get it in, what's in there(quota raise) - we will try to protect.

--logiclife.

In my openion, IV should give top priority for reinstating the AC21 provision that elimiate per country limit in EB visas. It should try to lobby some senetors to bring an amendment in either Frist or Specter bill (whichever makes to Senate floor). Unfortunatly no law firm or organization pointed out this problem, as they are mainly worrying about undocumented.

Ramba
03-19-2006, 01:43 PM
may be you want to redo your calculation

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=346

Whatever I presented is taken from numbersusa which is calculated based on the bill. Whatever you are showing is just the bill.

wellwishergc
03-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Ramba,

Those numbers are speculative and exaggerated. Also, note that before the proposed bill finally becomes law, there are a series of debates, conferences, senate-house reconcilliations. All the current provisions may not end up in the final bill. So, the assumptions you are making are overly optimistic.

Also, note that there are people at different stages of the GC process. Inclusion of the clause which allows I-485/EAD filing may not be beneficial to you, since you are already past that stage. But there are numerous other applicants, who would be thrilled to be able to apply for the same. If you could provide me instances of cases where I-485 applicants using job switching option were denied GC, I can provide you various other instances where this was successfully done.

I think, IV is taking the right approach in trying to include both the clauses. We should work as a team and try to address the issues of the entire community.

Thank you.

Whatever I presented is taken from numbersusa which is calculated based on the bill. Whatever you are showing is just the bill.

Ramba
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Ramba,

Those numbers are speculative and exaggerated. Also, note that before the proposed bill finally becomes law, there are a series of debates, conferences, senate-house reconcilliations. All the current provisions may not end up in the final bill. So, the assumptions you are making are overly optimistic.

Also, note that there are people at different stages of the GC process. Inclusion of the clause which allows I-485/EAD filing may not be beneficial to you, since you are already past that stage. But there are numerous other applicants, who would be thrilled to be able to apply for the same. If you could provide me instances of cases where I-485 applicants using job switching option were denied GC, I can provide you various other instances where this was successfully done.

I think, IV is taking the right approach in trying to include both the clauses. We should work as a team and try to address the issues of the entire community.

Thank you.

I understand. Even I had same thought before my Lc was approved. I was very nervous for my LC to be approved before retro kicks in. I thought filing 485 will secure my position. After this happened, still I fee like unsafe. Peoples are advising not to use EAD, stay in H1B. Howlong you will stay in H1B? Howmuch money you have to spend for EAD and AP? Peoples are happy to file 485 and ready to wait for GC indefinitly. Who knows, during prolonged waiting period, law may get change there may be tough rules and regulation in AC21. Recent murthy's article describes all the risk in AC21. What my feeling is we should eliminate the root cause of retro and get the GC as quick as possible to stay away from immigration stuff.