PDA

View Full Version : Lawmaker Feedbacks

Ahimsa
02-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Hope this helps Senator Kennedy understand our concerns

This is the text I sent him:

Dear Sir,

Please allow me to appreciate you for your statement on high-skilled immigration as per this link:

[Quote]
http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/speech.cfm?id=F075EF32-B46C-436F-9F1B-D61E5482185E?id=f075ef32-b46c-436f-9f1b-d61e5482185e

STATEMENT BY SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY AT SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE FIELD HEARING ON "EXAMINING THE NEED FOR COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM”

• Perhaps most important, temporary workers will have the right to adjust to permanent residence after one to four years. High-skilled workers already have this opportunity, and the same standards should apply to other immigrant workers, too
[UnQuote]

High skilled immigrants are going through a limbo life due to the greencard retrogression (non-availability of greencard numbers) for all categories, abnormal, disconnected and very long administrative delays in USCIS/FBI background/name checks besides so many other restrictions until getting a greencard. You would not believe that many of us have already waited for 3 to 5 years to clear the first stage of labor certification due to very long administrative delays in Labor Backlog Processing Centres. In all, there should be around 500,000 of us like this stuck in several stages.

In this context, may I request you please consider assuring high skilled immigrants like me, who are on H-1B in the US for more than 8 years now to get the permanent residence (greencard) in another 1 year?

In this context, please allow me to suggest increasing greencards as was in last year’s CIR bill.
In addition, there should be temporarily more resources made available to USCIS/FBI to speed up the processing to address such a huge numbers of 500,000 applications.

Sincerely,

pappu
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
You might get an automated reply. In any case you may want to call up their office and follow up on your email and speak to their staffer who deals with Immigration matters. Also do definately seek appointments with your senators and congressmen. Now is the time to go and meet all lawmakers. Emails and phonecalls dont work as much as face to face meetings. You can make a real impact if you can go and meet lawmakers.

raju123
02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Good work Ahimsa.

I remember he spoke similar words for skilled immigrants in order to support illegal immigrants during discussion of CIR 2006 in May 2006. He want to give similar opportunity (ability to earn permanent residency) to 12 millions illegal. I am scared with his approach.

I think members of MA should meet his office and clear his mis concept.

andy garcia
03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Good work Ahimsa.

I remember he spoke similar words for skilled immigrants in order to support illegal immigrants during discussion of CIR 2006 in May 2006. He want to give similar opportunity (ability to earn permanent residency) to 12 millions illegal. I am scared with his approach.

I think members of MA should meet his office and clear his mis concept.

Let's start dropping 12 million illegals. It is close to 25 millions.

raju123
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Hon. Senator Kennedy's statement in Judiciary committee of Senate on 2/28/07

[quote]
http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/s...b-d61e5482185e

STATEMENT BY SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY AT SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE FIELD HEARING ON "EXAMINING THE NEED FOR COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM”

• Perhaps most important, temporary workers will have the right to adjust to permanent residence after one to four years. High-skilled workers already have this opportunity, and the same standards should apply to other immigrant workers, too
[UnQuote]

In fact, US constitutional law permit opportunity to any legal immigrant, who legally entered into USA and maintain legal status through out during US stay to adjust the permanent residence. irrespective of alien's skill (high skill, low skill, no skill), country of origin, education, race. EB category accommodates all skill peoples. It has EB3 other category as well so all the legal temporary workers have same opportunity like EB1, EB2, category high skilled worker. But I think, Sen. Ted Kennedy is talking about illegal aliens.

There is no way any comparison of legal immigrants and illegal immigrants. If they want to give them opportunity by changing law, it is consider amnesty.

There are clear order of priority; US Citizens, US permanent Residents, Legal immigrants. US constitution do not recognize illegal aliens.

We can not compare ourself with US Citizen then how come illegals compare with legals?

Is it fair, if some one give following statement like Sen Kennedy?

"US citizens already have opportunity to work Federal and High Security jobs and same standard should apply to legal immigrants too."

Bottom line:

If they want to give amnesty to 12 millions immigrants and provide opportunity to adjust status, we do not have any problem. But address legal immigrant first and do not mess up EB system with 12 million illegals (don't dump illegals on the head of legals) like they did in 245(i) cases.

pappu
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
These are some realities in the current immigration politics. The current immigration debate has been dominated by the issues relating to undocumented immigration. US competitiveness and our concerns and problems are overlooked in this statistical discussion.

Bill Gates article did help a lot but the effort has to continue. Microsoft alone cannot do it. Several other companies need to join this and not just focus on H1B quota increase but also EB greencard issues. This will not happen unless companies realize that this is an issue that is affecting their employees. The only way companies can realize it, if all IV members approach their senior management and inform them about their plight and request them for help. If IV members are willing to do this effort, IV can also help them by getting involved in their effort with senior management.

IV has also been working hard (with limited budgets and resources), but in order to create awareness in each lawmaker office we need to all go and meet lawmakers. We all need to get active in state chapters to facilitate the change this year. Unless all of us realize the kind of mess we are all in, we cannot be motivated enough.

If no law passes this year (CIR or any other law with our provisions) we can forget for the next 2 years. And priority dates for both EB2 and EB3 are not going to move much in the next 2 years. There is enough backlog coming in from BECs. Hope this serves as a wake up call for those that are hoping for some miracle to happen or priority dates to move on its own every month for all countries.

msyedy
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
These are some realities in the current immigration politics. The current immigration debate has been dominated by the issues relating to undocumented immigration. US competitiveness and our concerns and problems are overlooked in this statistical discussion.

Bill Gates article did help a lot but the effort has to continue. Microsoft alone cannot do it. Several other companies need to join this and not just focus on H1B quota increase but also EB greencard issues. This will not happen unless companies realize that this is an issue that is affecting their employees. The only way companies can realize it, if all IV members approach their senior management and inform them about their plight and request them for help. If IV members are willing to do this effort, IV can also help them by getting involved in their effort with senior management.

IV has also been working hard (with limited budgets and resources), but in order to create awareness in each lawmaker office we need to all go and meet lawmakers. We all need to get active in state chapters to facilitate the change this year. Unless all of us realize the kind of mess we are all in, we cannot be motivated enough.

If no law passes this year (CIR or any other law with our provisions) we can forget for the next 2 years. And priority dates for both EB2 and EB3 are not going to move much in the next 2 years. There is enough backlog coming in from BECs. Hope this serves as a wake up call for those that are hoping for some miracle to happen or priority dates to move on its own every month for all countries.

Do you think that Sen John Cornyn might have forgotton to add our SKIL reforms in this new CIR bill. He gave his best to get this pass in the past lame-duck session.
I do believe that our provisions shall be there,the Dream Act and the provisions given by the congressmen to retain students with master's from US.

You are correct that we should push our congressmen, but I dont know why I feel that they are least bothered about our problem.

Anywayz pray.

paskal
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
shusterman's site says the bill has some very different provisions that may be a surprise, claim to have seen the text. do we know anything about this?

pappu
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Pls take it with a grain of salt what you read on other such websites. Websites for them is a means to get more business and show off that they are really influencial. Sometimes news is accumulated from news websites and forums and repackaged.
Yes CIR will have EB provisions and we have already been working on it. The next important task will be to protect them and have more added in the process. Our work may need to continue even after it is signed. It needs to be implemented right and regulations should happen quickly and processing should not have backlogs or resource crunch. Simply increasing greencard is not the full solution. It is the system that needs to be fixed so that we can all get our GCs fast. We are in for a long fight and thus participation from everyone is needed.

logiclife
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
shusterman's site says the bill has some very different provisions that may be a surprise, claim to have seen the text. do we know anything about this?

If Dianne Feinstein and Arlen Specter cannot take a peek at what McCain and Kennedy are writing, who is Shusterman? Its not just a rumor. Arlen Specter was carping in the committee yesterday that "Kennedy is not letting me see the bill and is not consulting my staff".

These sites are doing it for publicity. Same thing with hammond law group.

I was there in Washington last week where I heard from more than one office that nurses are not going to get their visas that were recaptured from EB categories. Yet, hammond law group continue to peddle BS.

And these sites want you to signup for their newsletters. They arent really doing anything to change the law.

ON the other hand, Immigration voice has asked members to put real emails in profile so we can reach them for alerts etc. But guess what, even today there are many who have given up fake email ids.

Yesterday, one of the email IDs was eatpavbhaji@yahoo.com . I am not kidding you. This really is one of the bogus emails that we bounced back when we sent out newsletter to 9000 plus people tuesday night.

There are some people who are so afraid of speaking up against an unfair system. They think that they will be deported if they say that Immigration law, that they follow and have never broken, is unfair. This is the kind of mentality that has made us a crippled community who can bark at each other on forums (here and on portal), exchange priority dates, exchange their frustration with backlog centers, create ridiculously long signatures where all their case details are posted including every single correspondence between their lawyer and backlog centers. They give high-fives to each other when their labor is approved after 5 years in backlog. But they do not want to speak up against an unfair system that takes more time for legal temporary resident to be permenant residents than illegals.

When I delete posts that undermine this organization, I get a huge lecture from members about the "Freedom of speech, First amendment rights" etc.

However, there are other values of this country that are more important for us at this stage. Its called the right to associate. The right to petition congress. No, that is not what people want to do. They think that Ted Kennedy will call USCIS and get their 140 rejected if they talk to Kennedy about making the system better. Therefore to hide from the most democratic government of this civilization, they put emails like eatpavbhaji@yahoo.com and stay anonymous.

Good work. Keep doing it. Keep staying anonymous, keep hiding from everyone and keep giving bogus emails. One of these days, Ted Kennedy will read our posts on this site and on Immigration portal and sit down with his staff and address all our issues. So keep posting anonymously and keep comiserating with each other anonymously until we are blue in the face talking about issues and solutions. And keep chasing other websites of immigration lawyers bluffing out of their butts.

paskal
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
you are so right.

i have seen one experience with the physician NIW's that Clinton signed in 2000.
INS made the most restrictive possible rules for it.
It has taken 7 years and a major defeat in court for the rules to be amended by USCIS.
In the process people like me lost almost 4 years in priority dates as we could not file for a waiver. Those 4 years now translate into a possible 10 years wait.
We cannot let this type of thing happen again.

sriramkalyan
03-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Guys,

It does not look like automated reply ..
She is requesting me to write to her office .. may be i am going write my story
to her ...

Here is the reply
"
Dear Mr. Kalyan:

Thank you for writing to follow up on your immigration case. I appreciate hearing from you.
I understand you wish to communicate with me regarding your case through e-mail. However, I am prohibited by the Federal Privacy Act from handling your problem over the Internet. This is for your protection, to ensure that your personal information is safeguarded as much as possible.
In order to inquire about your case, or provide me with any updates, please mail your correspondence to my Baltimore office. You may also send inquiries or information via fax. My address and fax number:

The Honorable Barbara A. Mikulski

Brown's Wharf

1629 Thames Street

Suite 400

Baltimore, Maryland 21231

Fax: 410-962-4760

Thanks again for contacting me. Should you have any immediate questions or concerns, please call my Baltimore office at 410-962-4510.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator"

chanduv23
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
If Dianne Feinstein and Arlen Specter cannot take a peek at what McCain and Kennedy are writing, who is Shusterman? Its not just a rumor. Arlen Specter was carping in the committee yesterday that "Kennedy is not letting me see the bill and is not consulting my staff".

I was there in Washington last week where I heard from more than one office that nurses are not going to get their visas that were recaptured from EB categories. Yet, hammond law group continue to peddle BS.

And these sites want you to signup for their newsletters. They arent really doing anything to change the law.

ON the other hand, Immigration voice has asked members to put real emails in profile so we can reach them for alerts etc. But guess what, even today there are many who have given up fake email ids.

Yesterday, one of the email IDs was eatpavbhaji@yahoo.com . I am not kidding you. This really is one of the bogus emails that we bounced back when we sent out newsletter to 9000 plus people tuesday night.

There are some people who are so afraid of speaking up against an unfair system. They think that they will be deported if they say that Immigration law, that they follow and have never broken, is unfair. This is the kind of mentality that has made us a crippled community who can bark at each other on forums (here and on portal), exchange priority dates, exchange their frustration with backlog centers, create ridiculously long signatures where all their case details are posted including every single correspondence between their lawyer and backlog centers. They give high-fives to each other when their labor is approved after 5 years in backlog. But they do not want to speak up against an unfair system that takes more time for legal temporary resident to be permenant residents than illegals.

When I delete posts that undermine this organization, I get a huge lecture from members about the "Freedom of speech, First amendment rights" etc.

However, there are other values of this country that are more important for us at this stage. Its called the right to associate. The right to petition congress. No, that is not what people want to do. They think that Ted Kennedy will call USCIS and get their 140 rejected if they talk to Kennedy about making the system better. Therefore to hide from the most democratic government of this civilization, they put emails like eatpavbhaji@yahoo.com and stay anonymous.

Good work. Keep doing it. Keep staying anonymous, keep hiding from everyone and keep giving bogus emails. One of these days, Ted Kennedy will read our posts on this site and on Immigration portal and sit down with his staff and address all our issues. So keep posting anonymously and keep comiserating with each other anonymously until we are blue in the face talking about issues and solutions. And keep chasing other websites of immigration lawyers bluffing out of their butts.

People want Green Cards by any means. If IV can get it for them, they support IV. if someone is selling them they buy them. Very few people seems to be fighting seriously for this cause in a genuine way. IV membership must be moderated. To avoid internal issues, IV must be moderated with members filling out membership forms and giving factual information.

dan19
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
--- Sorry for discussing an off-topic here ---

I noticed that the Administrator has closed the April Visa Predictions Thread.

I do not believe that those threads offend anybody in any ways.
Some posts in those Prediction Threads are informative and some are pure junk. Please leave it to the discretion of the readers to judge whether they need to read it or not as long as they do not contain vulgar or offensive language.

gc_bucs
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I think lawmakers do seek the opinion of people who they think are experts while drafting/discussing bills and there is a possibilty that Shusterman got a chance to voice his opinion and got feedback that made him publish what he thought.

GCAmigo
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
--- I noticed that the Administrator has closed the April Visa Predictions Thread.

So? it works bothways.. you post whatever you like & the Admins delete whatever they don't like.. even field.. why complain?

gg_ny
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
People want Green Cards by any means. If IV can get it for them, they support IV. if someone is selling them they buy them. Very few people seems to be fighting seriously for this cause in a genuine way. IV membership must be moderated. To avoid internal issues, IV must be moderated with members filling out membership forms and giving factual information.

I don't believe or agree to some statements. Buying greencards is not legal and so, by your posting, you give an impression that illegal steps are okay.

People want Green cards... not by any means if it means something illegal. At least not (I hope) many of the IV members. Not me for sure. That kind of desperation was there to an extent until a few years back.

Many talk about taking rallies, one-day protest,creating a visible drama at DC streets etc. I believe one powerful way of taking the message across is to go back to India ( this is mainly for Indians, as I am ignorant of other countries' situaions). Then the impact on US economy would be profound or at least should be profound if EB2 and EB3 applicants do matter. I foresee such days will become a reality if this retrogression and other issues persist, at least in the IT field. There is a concept in science for validating whether is something is necessary and sufficient. One way to do is to remove the substance of interest and monitor the system. This is almost a fool proof test and has not been done for EB2/EB3 applicants case in a large scale.

If you stop workers from across the borders, agricultural jobs will be affected. If you take away postdoctoral fellows on H1/J1 from Asian countries, many research labs will be paralyzed. If you stop non-europeans from coming to this country for studies, income via fees, grants and teaching hands will be affected as seen post-9/11. If you do not give GC to EB2/EB3 people (majority of whom are in IT), are there solid proofs (instead of projections and anectodal ones) to say USA will be affected?

Answer to the last question itself should emphasize the need for IV to enable GC for eB2/EB3. You dont need to go out and look out for some GC sellers.

MunnaBhai
03-02-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-gates-testify-before-senate/story.aspx?guid=%7B00D177F5%2D6BA3%2D48D3%2D8DEC%2 D134A54446E85%7D

invincibleasian
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Good luck with that. it wont work!

dan19
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
(First of all I didn't start the Prediction Thread.)

There are so many threads in this forum which aren't even remotely connected to US Green Card Retrogression --- like 401K thread, Canadian Immigration thread etc. Moderators must close many of those threads if they apply the same discretion for closing the Prediction thread. I am NOT advocating to close any of those thread.

Anyway, it is up to the moderators to decide what they need to do.
I was just trying to say that public forums like these shouldn't be very restrictive unless and until the language/contents become uncivilized.

So? it works bothways.. you post whatever you like & the Admins delete whatever they don't like.. even field.. why complain?

Legal
03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Therefore to hide from the most democratic government of this civilization, they put emails like eatpavbhaji@yahoo.com and stay anonymous.

Pappu, I'm sorry to hear this. :o

Continue your good work. I'm also puzzled that only so few are members. It's a perverted mentality and greed that something will happen, someone else will do something.

dan19
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
If closing that thread helps us to stay focussed, let it be that way.
Thanks.

You must understand the reason...... We need to focus on something else now.....

msyedy
03-02-2007, 02:42 PM
If closing that thread helps us to stay focussed, let it be that way.
Thanks.

Let it be that way.

raj3078
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Logic,
I think this is serious issue. What is the point of having 9000 members when some of them dont even trust to hand out a valid email address? How can we trust these people to stand with us when we are fighting. I mean we will quote to media and Washington that we have 9000 members, and if they asked us to collect signature of those, we might not even get 8000 signatures...If many of the members are signing off with fake Email, can we purge them out?

Many sites have requirement of entering personal email and then those sites will send out confirmation code. Unless one enters such a code, he would not be registered. Do you see any way of doing such a thing with IV website. Personally I would have 1000 loyal members than 9000 whom I dont trust
BTW, I am contributing member, just in case someone asks :)

pappu
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Raj3078,These are valid concerns. Sometimes we respond to questions when we see who the member is. If the member has updated their profiile with full details, we are more likely to respond. Generally the posts that are simply meant to offend others or have no sincere intent are by annonymous users. We value members that have put full details in their profile and have given us a valid email address.
btw. thanks for putting all your details in your profile.