PDA

View Full Version : Question about H1 stamping

extofu
03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Here is my situation

Studied in US on F1 and directly started working for company A from 2002. Got a H1 stamp when out of country in 2003.
Since then moved to company B (in 2005) and H1 visa is now on the second three year term (valid till 2008) . Am on the verge of moving to company C. Will be out of the country all of april and had a few questions

1) Do I need to have stamp on my passport when I switch between F1 and H1only or do I need the stamp even if I have switched firms since the last time I got my passport stamped

2) What happens if I get the stamp say on H1 on 1st April (while on payroll of company B), quit company B (while outside US) and join company C and then return to US in last week of April without getting another stamp. Will I face any issues when reentering USA (given that the stamp is for company B even though I don't work for it anymore) or do I need the accurate stamp when coming to USA?

Your help will be deeply appreciated

Thanks

a_yaja
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
You require a new H1B stamp in your passport. If you look at your existing H1B stamp - it will have the name of your company (it is not clear from your post if this is Company A or Comapny B). Once you quit the company and leave this country, you need to have new stamp. In your case, you must have H1B stamp from Company C when you enter after you leave the country (unless you are visiting Mexico or Canada - in which case you can use automatic revalidation rule - provided you are out of the country for less than 30 days).

I am not sure what will happen if you try to reenter on a H1B with old company. The POE will have some way to find out in which company u r working.

roseball
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
you can re-enter with previous visa stamp with company A's annotation as long as it is still valid..however, you need to have the latest I-797 approval notice from your current employer and show it to the immigration officer at the poe...

extofu
03-07-2007, 12:06 PM
You require a new H1B stamp in your passport. If you look at your existing H1B stamp - it will have the name of your company (it is not clear from your post if this is Company A or Comapny B). Once you quit the company and leave this country, you need to have new stamp. In your case, you must have H1B stamp from Company C when you enter after you leave the country (unless you are visiting Mexico or Canada - in which case you can use automatic revalidation rule - provided you are out of the country for less than 30 days).

I am not sure what will happen if you try to reenter on a H1B with old company. The POE will have some way to find out in which company u r working.

My current H1 stamp is for company A.

Based on what you wrote, would you advise me to get the stamp of company C if I have plans to change to C eventually? I know that when I will be reentering USA, I will be on the payroll for company C.

extofu
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
you can re-enter with previous visa stamp with company A's annotation as long as it is still valid..however, you need to have the latest I-797 approval notice from your current employer and show it to the immigration officer at the poe...

Could you please elaborate? I have a stamp from company A but I have quit it in 2005.

roseball
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Still valid meaning it has not expired.

a_yaja
03-07-2007, 04:34 PM
My current H1 stamp is for company A.

Based on what you wrote, would you advise me to get the stamp of company C if I have plans to change to C eventually? I know that when I will be reentering USA, I will be on the payroll for company C.
Yes, you should get H1B stamp with Company C's annotation. Roseball's comments seems to suggest that it is not necessary to get a new visa as long as you H1B has not expired. However, that is not what I was told by my attorney when I changed employer and had to visit India. Also, during my interview in Chennai, the officer told me "I see that your application is for change of employer". I just said yes. I think it is best that you get in touch with an attorney and seek attorney's opinion. They are the experts and will have the correct information.

sagar_nyc
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I was with Company A. and had visa stamped for company A till Dec 2006. I switched from Company A to B in Nov 2004. and travelled to India in July 2005. Since I had a valid visa from company A, I didn't got it stamped with company B. Although I carried my transferred H-1 (Company B) and showed it to Immigration Officer upon arrival, which he was fine with.

Again This is not a legal advice. Please consult to lawyer before leaving.

Good Luck

ksach
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
In my experience, it is not required if your are still within the expiry date on the previous stamping and the previous stamping was for a H1-B. You just need to show the latest 797 ( h1-b approval) . I have used this feature many times, and have even changed two employers in between. Never had a problem, except once while coming back from Canada. The immigration officer was new and hence went and asked her superior who said it is no problem. I was let thru with not problems after that. I never had a problem in SFO, thru which i travel frequently.

I think i saw a FAQ for this on murthy.com . check that site as well.

In the end, I am not an attorney, so dont legally hold me to my response. consult your attorney.