PDA

View Full Version : Time to go back or wait little more

gc_rip
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi,

I am in 7th year of H1, no significant savings, less pay of H1.

Category EB3 PD: 02/05.

Is this time to go back to India, and start a fresh life, or wait another 6 months, and watch the Immigration reforms?

Is any relief possiblie coming in next 6-8 months, that I can change the job and atleast negotiate good salary?

Thanks,

chanduv23
03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi,

Is this time to go back to India, and start a fresh life, or wait another 6 months, and watch the Immigration reforms?

Is any relief possiblie coming in next 6-8 months, that I can change the job and atleast negotiate good salary?

Thanks,

As you say you are having a low pay, you must try to move to a new job if you have an approved 140, as you have 7 years local eexperience (not sure which field you are in) and start GC again under Eb2 and try to retain old PD. Lot of people doing it these days.

If you want to go to India, IT is booming and good jobs arre there. In fact, if you post resume online for jobs in USA, you may find a lot of Indian companies calling you asking you if you want to relocate and some even offer matching pay (Microsoft, I heard wants to match pay in US).

Waiting for relief will be the most stupid thing to do if you want to make career decisions. Even if relief arives, how it is going to be implemented we don't know. Is there an infrastructure for implementing relief???? All immigration bills have severe road blocks and no one knows how things are going to be.

for_gc
03-20-2007, 02:24 PM
As you say you are having a low pay, you must try to move to a new job if you have an approved 140, as you have 7 years local eexperience (not sure which field you are in) and start GC again under Eb2 and try to retain old PD. Lot of people doing it these days.

If you want to go to India, IT is booming and good jobs arre there. In fact, if you post resume online for jobs in USA, you may find a lot of Indian companies calling you asking you if you want to relocate and some even offer matching pay (Microsoft, I heard wants to match pay in US).

Waiting for relief will be the most stupid thing to do if you want to make career decisions. Even if relief arives, how it is going to be implemented we don't know. Is there an infrastructure for implementing relief???? All immigration bills have severe road blocks and no one knows how things are going to be.

Couldn't resist. You the man!

I have been in a similar situation for the last over 4+ years and onto my 10th year on H1. I have approved I140 (eb2, 11/05) and three year extension and have been struggling with the same question ...

eb3India
03-20-2007, 02:31 PM
if your main goal is to improve your carreer I suggest go back, you will be a free man in India, salaries are good and competative, you get promotions and ofcouse you don't need to visit this forum everyday.

good luck

senthil1
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
GC process should not be criteria to go back or staying here. You will stay here for long time in H1b itself or you may get a gc down the road. If you have plans to go back you can go and try to process gc while you are India. If you get GC while you are in India you can decide to come back or stay there based on your and your family priorities.

if your main goal is to improve your carreer I suggest go back, you will be a free man in India, salaries are good and competative, you get promotions and ofcouse you don't need to visit this forum everyday.

good luck

gcfriend65
03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't go back to India. If we falter, then we will lose! Just Keep the Skull Crushing Pressure ON!

gc_rip,
EB3, 2005??? I see no hope here in this country. You are also making low salary and don't have any savings.

My advice would be,
If you are married and have/haven't kids
1. Send them to India right now, also purchase some property before they go.
2. Here in US, you don't spend even a penny withoug cause. Start sending money to India on a regular basis.
3. Start saving all your money for one year. Once you feel you have saved enough.
4. Before you send your family back home, make sure they have valid US visa so that they can re-enter this country in case if you are your family wants to come back.

testz
03-20-2007, 03:08 PM
"If you have plans to go back you can go and try to process gc while you are India. If you get GC while you are in India you can decide to come back or stay there based on your and your family priorities. "

How is it possible to process GC by staying in India?

I have LC, I 140 approved EB2...PD 2004 May

chanduv23
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
if people want to go back to India, oone option they can consider is to keep a Canadian PR handy and work out at least a canadian citizenship in the long run.

amitga
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I have already started working on planning on going back to India. The main problem is my kids education as he is in second grade. I don't know how will he get into Third grade in India as in (North) India all the schools have Hindi as a mandatory subject and my son can not read or write Hindi.

Also I have started working on my skill set so that I can get a good offer in India. The job market is much more competetive in India.

sam_hoosier
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I have already started working on planning on going back to India. The main problem is my kids education as he is in second grade. I don't know how will he get into Third grade in India as in (North) India all the schools have Hindi as a mandatory subject and my son can not read or write Hindi.

Also I have started working on my skill set so that I can get a good offer in India. The job market is much more competetive in India.

I am in the same boat, with my daughter being in 1st grade. However, we have started teaching her Hindi at home and hope that she would atleast be able to speak Hindi by the time we move back.

zigma
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
My father was in the foreign service and thus was posted outside of India at various locations. I had a problem learning Hindi as well as the schools outside did not teach but when we moved back to India, I had to learn again.

So long story short, there were times with big gaps in my knowledge of hindi. Once I could read but could not write. I initially practiced writing the hindi alphabet in 9th grade, picked it up within a month but my vocabulary lagged with respect to my classmates. Still managed to get by and complete. Then next year, we moved out of India again.

Necessity is the mother of invention. In this case, if something has to be learned for survival, we will learn it. If you have a good paying job in India, there are some schools that have special classes to address this situation.

Good luck.

chanduv23
03-20-2007, 04:03 PM

I was born and raised in Bombay, I learnt Marathi as second language, then we moved to Madras when i was in 4th Grade, and I switched to Hindi and Tamil, then suddenly my parents decided that my secnd language must be "telugu" which is our mother tongue, and I switched to telugu and Hindi. It was all a matter of interest and additional effort. So that must never the a criteria for taaking life decisions

EkAurAaya
03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
realistically with EB3 PD of 2005 I don't know if anything can happen in 6 months... my EB3 pd is 2003 and i have no hopes of getting my gc for at least next 2 years :D (even with reforms)

I know it is very stressful but try to enjoy it while it lasts... i plan to stay till i get laid off from my job... till then i will take the paychecks and invest/save as much as i can :cool: GC or no GC if you have $ saved you can take risk and move back

I think refugee gave the best advice...

drirshad
03-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Very discouraging guys, i don't wanna go back home from the stories of road congestion to high prices of everything to paying bribe for anything ..........

Naaaaa, i m ready to be an illegal here better future ....

anilsal
03-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Very discouraging guys, i don't wanna go back home from the stories of road congestion to high prices of everything to paying bribe for anything ..........

Naaaaa, i m ready to be an illegal here better future ....
Started negative comments about your home country? Not allowed on IV.
:(

rajuram
03-21-2007, 12:54 AM
If I were greedy I would tell every one ahead of my priority date to leave right now...but since I am good person, I advise everyone to stay here and enjoy the post CIR party. We are almost at the end of the tunnel...

good luck

pd_recapturing
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I konw what I am asking is a funny question and depends on person's own perspective but still I am gonna ask this. What do you guys consider a decent amount of money (in $$) to go back to India? Genrally, how much averagely can be saved in 6 years on H1 US ? Once again, this is very very personal question but we do not disclose our identity here so its okay.

msp1976
03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

02/05 PD is not very valuable So to say looking at it today.....Someone else might have a different opinion....

So if immigration reform happens, you would be just fine with a PD of sometime in 07....

If immigration reform does not happen, you are stuck for 7/8 years....In that case you are better off swithcing to a new job higher pay.....

The situation is very subjective and evryone has to make his/her own decision and live with it....

greatguy
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
see this survey:

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/clubvb/showthread.php?t=220

<50k : 3%
50 - 100k : 5%
100 - 250k : 18%
250 - 500k : 31%
500 - 750k : 15%
750 - 1M : 13%
1M+ : 17%

pd_recapturing
03-21-2007, 11:12 AM
If this is the true poll, I still have to make hell lot of money before returning to India :((

vsoni
03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't worry, you are not alone.

Tito_ortiz
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
If you are not 70% satisfied with your type of job here, so I would go back. Freedom is a powerful state for those who are ambitious and have the talent to drive inovation. Without freedom, one cannot grow. GC chase is an uncertain business. Yes, they introduced the Strive Act and I do not want to sound like a pessimist. However, one cannot make decision based on bills which are introduced;dozens of bills have been introduced over the years and no positives result have ever surfaced. Moreover, remember that immigration is a hot topic and there are lots of politicians aiming to look good and showing that they can too, tackle the immigration problem by introducing bills. How sincere that is? It is unknown and how probable that such bills would get passed are a remote speculation these days. I simply do not get excited at all by the mere fact that one more bill has been introduced.

That said, I would say, post resume and see whether you get good offer in the beloved India. If you get it, move on.

Thanks,

Tito

Hi,

Thanks,

chanduv23
03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
If this is the true poll, I still have to make hell lot of money before returning to India :((

if achieving that monetary target is your primary goal - you have to find different ways to do it.

If your target is a good life, good job, good business etc.... you can achieve it anywhere you are.

So it all depends on the Attitude.

EkAurAaya
03-21-2007, 11:30 AM
realistically i think all you need is 1 khokha in bank & paid off house to live a decent life back home but then again no amount of money is sufficient back home :D

nozerd
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Depends on if you already own a home or not in India.

Also depends on if you are planning to work in India or not or you want to just live off saving.

I think if you already have a home a good target would be Rs 1 crore cash
whcih is aprox $ 225,000.

Right now you can get 9% interest rate in fixed deposit in India, but to be conservative and assuming rate goes down to 6% then your 1 crore will provide you interest of 6 lakhs a yr or 50,000 a month.

Of course toavoid inflation issues in future you should probably noyt withdraw the full interest, so you may wish to withdraw 25 K a month and reinvest 25 K of interest. 25K is enough to live middle class life in India - If you continue to work and make additional 25K in salary per month you are set.
I am basing all this for a city like Pune (my hometown). Things could be slightly more expensive for big 6 metros.

yabadaba
03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
completely agree with chanduv23.

however, i would also suggest looking at money saved in this context.

u dont need to buy your house upfront

loans are favorable from banks like hdfc with rates around 9-10%. But since the deduction logic does not apply there, I have heard people pay their loans off in 5-10 years.

I would say once you meet a target of 50-200k $ u should be decently set.

logiclife
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Anyone with salary range 55K-100k should save atleast 2K-3.5K per month. To make it simple i would say one should save anywhere between 30% to 60% of their gross income depends upon their standard of living.

Are you saying that anyone between 55-100K can save 2 to 3.5 PER MONTH? Not possible.

Let me take the median of both numbers. Let's say that you mean if you make 77K (middle of 55K and 100K), you should save 2700 (middle of 2 to 3.5 K) per month.

So if you make 77K, you should save 2700 per month?????

At 77K, with wife and one child, you get taxed about 25%(Federal, SS and Medicare tax). Plus state tax. Approx 30%. You are are left with 53,900 after taxes.

That means you have $ 4491 after taxes per month. If you want to save $2700 per month, you are left with $ 1800 per month. A family of 3 cannot live at $1800 per month. No way that can happen.

nozerd
03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
A family of 3 can definitely survive on $ 1,800 a month. It basically depends on various factors such as

1) What part of the country you live in

2) If spouse is not working does spouse need to have their own car.

3) Do you own a home or rent. Would be difficult to do if owning a home.

eb3India
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
This is a age old debate and has many variables, even thou time has changed many variables still remain the same,

However in my earlier post I said "if you are carreer minded", which means you are ambitious and don't mind bit of hardwork, then may be India has lot to offer during these days, myself I was when I came here 9 years before but during this time I am spoiled American, so I would rather stay here

but I know many of my friends who returned are really doing good, I know few who choose to go back after getting their GCs, so it all depends in your preference,

about saving way India is turning out you can't really go back with a pot of money and expect to have retired life,

Cheran
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Refugee,
I am from Chennai too. Thanks for the post. Do you really think 10 L is enough? Man there was a link in this thread, most of them go back with 250K? Anyhow I know it all depends on the individual.
I am scared to go back with 10 L though....

I am from Chennai and i'll tell you how much i need if i want to go back to India.

1. Posh 3 bedroom/2000 sft apartment in and around Nungambakkam, RK Puram, Kotturpuram area will cost close to 1 crore rupees. If you are looking for the same in Boat club, Alwarpet or Poes garden area then add 50 lakhs to 1 crore.

2. New car - atleast 6 lakhs.

3. Furniture and other house hold things - 15 lakhs.

4. Some savings in bank - Lets say minimum 10 lakhs.

Adding up all these, i will need atleast 1.5 crores to live a very decent life in Chennai.

rsayed
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

...on your priorities, your situation (single, married, etc.), and financial status...But, I wouldn't wait to change jobs.

Since, you have a 2005 PD, I would try to change my job and start my GC all over again, with your old PD. Lots of folks I know have done this successfully...

Good Luck!

learning01
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
One employer has posted this:
A point that is missed in this exchange is that there are areas of
the country far removed from Silicon Valley that need a better H1B
program.

We are based in north central Pennsylvania and have been trying to
hire US programmers for more than 18 months with no luck. Our
salaries are very competitive but few US citizens seem to want the
joys and pleasures of our somewhat rural environment.

To solve our problem we have been hiring foreign programmers and so
far have gotten two of them green cards. Recently we lost two
programmers because they were in danger of being forced to return to
Mother Russia and chose to immigrate to Canada instead where they
got their working papers in a matter of six months. Their departures
where solely because of delays by the Department of Labor and by CIS
in processing their Labor Certifications and Green Card paperwork.

I am now trying to get my paperwork in order to bring two more
programmers over and will be requesting expedited handling of their
H1B visa petitions. Missing the April 1 deadline will be disastrous
for our small company.

I don't claim to know why the situation is so dire or how to solve
it. I do know that the current environment does not work well for
many smaller business trying to provide quality services to their
customers.

Follow it here: (http://forums.wsj.com/viewtopic.php?start=0&t=362&topic_view=threads)

http://forums.wsj.com/viewtopic.php?start=0&t=362&topic_view=threads

msp1976
03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
but I know many of my friends who returned are really doing good, I know few who choose to go back after getting their GCs, so it all depends in your preference,

about saving way India is turning out you can't really go back with a pot of money and expect to have retired life,

The Way India is changing I doubt that anyone can retire on the money you save in US...The costs are rising very fast..
Even the medical costs have started rising...In WTO governments have agreed to bring the copyright/patent laws in line with the American laws...The medical costs would rise very sharply.....

msp1976
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
A family of 3 can definitely survive on $ 1,800 a month. It basically depends on various factors such as

1) What part of the country you live in

2) If spouse is not working does spouse need to have their own car.

3) Do you own a home or rent. Would be difficult to do if owning a home.

Not on the coast...neither in east cost nor west cost...May be in midwest like Ohio, Indians or Oklahoma type places.....
Not in NY/NJ/TX/MD/North VA/CT/MA....I guess west cost is even more costly...

nozerd
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
You can in TX. I am in TX and in Houston or Dallas you can rent a nice 1 bedroom apartment for $ 700 or a nice 2 bedroom for $ 900 or so.

Not on the coast...neither in east cost nor west cost...May be in midwest like Ohio, Indians or Oklahoma type places.....
Not in NY/NJ/TX/MD/North VA/CT/MA....I guess west cost is even more costly...

rsayed
03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Are you saying that anyone between 55-100K can save 2 to 3.5 PER MONTH? Not possible.

Let me take the median of both numbers. Let's say that you mean if you make 77K (middle of 55K and 100K), you should save 2700 (middle of 2 to 3.5 K) per month.

So if you make 77K, you should save 2700 per month?????

At 77K, with wife and one child, you get taxed about 25%(Federal, SS and Medicare tax). Plus state tax. Approx 30%. You are are left with 53,900 after taxes.

That means you have $ 4491 after taxes per month. If you want to save $2700 per month, you are left with $ 1800 per month. A family of 3 cannot live at $1800 per month. No way that can happen.

Plus, the fact that whether you're single or married - you tend to take trips to India which is a major expense (if you're married) - the shopping associated with it, etc.

It's really that much more better, if we all get our GCs' and stay here for the long term...