PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need lawyers for the immigration process

gcpool
03-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I have noticed that there are immigration cases that get screwed due to the lawyers and the person who suffer are the people who pay them for the service.

For employment based immigration why do we(the company or applicant) need to go via lawyers?
If they are a must, then are they required in all stages? (labour, I-140, I-485).

krishna
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately they try to make a living based on us and yet they screw up. The whole process is set up such that there are various stakeholders. Companies will not let employees choose lawyers and want to be protected against lawsuits. Hence they employ lawyers to make sure that the company is protected. They dont care about employees in as much as they care about themselves. For simple FB immigration cases and self petition cases (EB1) lawyers may not be needed. However for most EB cases where the beneficiary works for an employer Lawyers have become indispensible assets.

optimist
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
... Lawyers have become indispensible assets.

indispensible-yes ... assets-Not quite sure, in fact liability is a better term :D

krishna
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
That they protect companies to CYA (Rather CTA) and prevent liabilities. Its a debate we can have and can argue either way. But for the legal immigrant they are just another added nuisance that has to be dealt with.

ramaonline
04-01-2007, 07:07 AM
You brought up an interesting question. Most immigration paperwork such as I129, I539, H1, H4 extensions etc can be filed without any attorney's assistance. I have heard people even do the entire GC paperwork themselves - All relevant information is available on the dol and uscis websites.

starving_dog
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
The way I look at it is the lawyers are their to protect you from the failures in the system. The wording of the letters, advertisements and labor justification for your labor certification are best left to people who do this repeatedly instead of some HR person in a company who might see a case like ours every year or so.

Obviously, I have been well served by my attorney. I am sure there are as many horror stories as there are satisfied clients, but why would people post about positives?

msyedy
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
The way I look at it is the lawyers are their to protect you from the failures in the system. The wording of the letters, advertisements and labor justification for your labor certification are best left to people who do this repeatedly instead of some HR person in a company who might see a case like ours every year or so.

Obviously, I have been well served by my attorney. I am sure there are as many horror stories as there are satisfied clients, but why would people post about positives?

I agree with you Starving_dog. A lawyer can only put good wordings in an application that would lead to sucess without any questions from USCIS and able to answer tough RFE's from the USCIS.

True a company does not allow its employees to be able to choose their own lawyer, think how many attorny's a company would have to deal with if it has only 15 employees.

I guess it is upto ones fate. Thank god, that I have been fortunate to be working for a good company who can afford a good lawyer.

gcpool
04-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Is the lawyer a requirement for application or can it done by the employer or the applicant.

msyedy
04-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Is the lawyer a requirement for application or can it done by the employer or the applicant.

Lawyer is not a requirement.

joelly
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
My employer advice me to use a lawyer because the GC process can be stressful if I choose to handle it myself.

My lawyer has done a good job, eventhough she is not all that. She doubts herself occasionally but it all turns out fine in the end. I am glad that I have a lawyer thats nice enough to ask my never-ending questions.

ItIsNotFunny
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Lawyer is not a requirement. My company is mid sized company with approx. 200 employees. Doesn't use lawyer for H1s though still it uses lawyer for GC. And we never had rejection issues.