PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Engineering Folks!

BECsufferer
08-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Hello Mates!

Whenever I read about enterperneurship/ business start-up, all it is about IT folks and their ideas. So I thought about starting a thread focused on us poor un-spoken but oldest engineering trade i.e. the mighty Mechanical Engineering.

With manufacturing almost leaving US and companies setting up Tech centers in low-cost-regions ( aka China/ India), their ain't much work being pursued. Detroit and Seattle, tradiational hubs, are being hampered by Auto and Boeing mess, so engineers are having tough time.

And in this time, trying to freelance at sites such as Guru.com is futile. I actually had account on this site for more than 1 yr, but never got any work. I advertised my skills in designing Actuators (Electro Mechanical, Linear systems, Gearbox etc.) and started from actual price to even offering free service.

So what are new avenues, that might be worth exploring?

praveenuppaluri
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
hello BECsufferer

just to clarify, are you looking for ideas that you can start something here in the US and expand in India or are you planning to start something in India and manage here.

from what I gathered, you can start any mechanical firm (physically making the parts) from drawings (engineering) made in the US/Europe. this is a high budget venture and China is leading this manufacturing game

or you can provide services for AERO, FEA, CFD, CAD etc. this is in line with what most of the companies are doing already and India is a hub for these kind of activites.

not sure which one of these avenues are you looking at...

go_guy123
08-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Hello Mates!

Whenever I read about enterperneurship/ business start-up, all it is about IT folks and their ideas. So I thought about starting a thread focused on us poor un-spoken but oldest engineering trade i.e. the mighty Mechanical Engineering.

With manufacturing almost leaving US and companies setting up Tech centers in low-cost-regions ( aka China/ India), their ain't much work being pursued. Detroit and Seattle, tradiational hubs, are being hampered by Auto and Boeing mess, so engineers are having tough time.

And in this time, trying to freelance at sites such as Guru.com is futile. I actually had account on this site for more than 1 yr, but never got any work. I advertised my skills in designing Actuators (Electro Mechanical, Linear systems, Gearbox etc.) and started from actual price to even offering free service.

So what are new avenues, that might be worth exploring?

Actually the custom manufacturing sector is there in US. The mass manufacturing
sector has gone to China. You can come up with a plan to do custom manufacturing. Or
design making in India and then custom manufacturing in India /China. Its a niche area not that crowded yet....I feel so.

BECsufferer
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Pals!

I actually work at lean-custom manufacturing facility of $11 billion Corporation in USA. So have pretty good understanding of this business.

Manufacturing is capital intensive, originating from WIP, infrastructure and fixed/variable overheads. Plus your work force need to skilled and diverse in skills, which results in high wages.

Before you are ready to cut chips, you need to have firm sales orders. Which in todays economy is most difficult. See the thing is all large-scale commercial manufacturing has moved overseas, so what is left over is either the Defense industry of highly custom/prototype jobs, which are hard to penetrate into.

But their is one avenue, that I have been thinking about for sometime. It is in Product Development. From the nature of my work experience, I have acquired skills to manage multi-discipline product development. Say for instance, you need to develop new cordless drill. It involves engineers from mechanical, manufacturing, electrical and electronics fields. And it is this strength that I am thinking about to leverage if an opportunity arises.