PDA

View Full Version : Gathering in DC on Jun 5??

ramaonline
05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
I got an email from IV about the proposed gathering on Jun 5. Is it ok to go ahead and make travel plans as the date is very near?

raju123
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Probably Senate will be on break on June 05. Without Congress on, we can't do anything gathering in DC.

I am on strong opinion to have protest at Capitol with at least 1000 people

I got an email from IV about the proposed gathering on Jun 5. Is it ok to go ahead and make travel plans as the date is very near?

ItIsNotFunny
05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Probably Senate will be on break on June 05. Without Congress on, we can't do anything gathering in DC.

I am on strong opinion to have protest at Capitol with at least 1000 people

I second that.

pcs
05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
A well organized smaller number will also work

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
My Guess is that June 5th is picked by IV for a reason.

Atleast a Min of 1,000 Professional have to be there.
We need to make flyers, banners etc

Ofcourse we have to set our standards high and have to be way different from the undocumented people.

Everyone of memebers from the DC Metro have to make it a point to bring atleast 4 more people along with them ..... So that we have a huge mass !

perm2gc
05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
I got an email from IV about the proposed gathering on Jun 5. Is it ok to go ahead and make travel plans as the date is very near?"but don’t book travel arrangements for now."

tikka
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Update from IV Core

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gathering in Washington DC:

We are planning to lead a large number of members, hundreds of Immigration Voice members in Washington DC to the Senate offices on 5th June (Tuesday). This would help us penetrate our message to the Senators in a forceful and profound manner when hundreds, possibly thousands of skilled immigrants are at their doorstep. It would display the seriousness of our concerns and the injustice and unfair treatment rendered by the current bill. Please standby for more details and instructions/confirmations as we try to secure permits and paperwork for such gathering. Please secure day-off for Tuesday 5th June, but don’t book travel arrangements for now. We will send another email in next 2 days confirming this event. We want EVERYONE to come. If you hesitate now, you will miss a chance to stand up for yourself and fight the biggest hurdle in your career – retrogression.

Every action item, every contribution is important and this bill has a very good chance of passing the Senate and without amendments to this bill we would be in worse shape. Call up your friends who are waiting for green cards or who plan to apply for green cards to participate actively.

Thanks,
Immigration Voice.

newuser
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
In the e-mail, they said specifically not to make travel plans. We will have an update from IV Core soon.

seeker
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
jUNE 5 IS THE WEEK OF MEMORIAL DAY RECESS AT sENATE. ???

tikka
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
jUNE 5 IS THE WEEK OF MEMORIAL DAY RECESS AT sENATE. ???

Senate reconvenes June 4th, Monday.

lvinaykumar
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I live in Chicago but i might be going to NJ for three weeks. if my NJ plan is finalized i will attend the June 5th gathering..

tikka
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I live in Chicago but i might be going to NJ for three weeks. if my NJ plan is finalized i will attend the June 5th gathering..

sent you a PM. please check.

paskal
05-23-2007, 10:57 PM
we are still waiting for permissions for a large gathering in DC as far as i know. that is why you are being asked not to book tickets.

nk2
05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I am planning to attend from Massachusetts. Not made travel arrangements yet. Waiting to hear from IV.

abhijitrajan
05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll be there upon confirmation from IV

syzygy
05-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Hello,

This may seem pretty tough to pull but is it possible we can pull either of them? Lets see / show them what H1B's are doing for them. This is big but I am sure if support from people already having GC & citizenship something can be triggered.

We are paying tax, medicare and still such slogging :(

eagerr2i
05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
I will be there on 5th June. Travel plans made. Reaching on 4th night.

ilikekilo
05-23-2007, 11:16 PM
r u saying its for sure since u made travel plans

sravani
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Please forward this IV email to all all the H1Bs and GC holders in your office and spread the word about this DC gathering. There are few coworkers with H1Bs in my company, I forwarded the email to them.

newuser
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
If confirmed, I will be there along with some of my friends and colleagues.

Lets show the media and the Senators the strength of the HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS.

tikka
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
If confirmed, I will be there along with some of my friends and colleagues.

Lets show the media and the Senators the strength of the HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS.

You think we could get a 1000 people motivated to go to DC?
I mean we can barely get 400 people to send a WEB FAX to their senator and that takes less than a minute.

Suggestions?

glus
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I will DRIVE down to DC if needed. I will be there if we decide to go.

G

msyedy
05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
You can count me in......
Let us know what banners or how many banners we need to bring.

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
People hesitate to contribute; spend some time to call/email/fax Senators... how can we motivate them to come to DC for a whole day ....

Sorry to say, but I am unable to convience couple of my own friends to come to DC. So far 6 agreed, 3 laughed and 2 said NO .... the best part none of us have the GC .....

tikka
05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
You can count me in......
Let us know what banners or how many banners we need to bring.

if we have a large enough group from the tri state area maybe we can go in bus and put up Immigration voice/ Legal Immigration banners on it.

glus
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
if we have a large enough group from the tri state area maybe we can go in bus and put up Immigration voice/ Legal Immigration banners on it.

A good idea, but not enough. We need to make arrangements and meet with some staff in DC. I am waiting for a response from the core team regarding this.
We could rent a minibus too...

J

tikka
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
A good idea, but not enough. We need to make arrangements and meet with some staff in DC. I am waiting for a response from the core team regarding this.
We could rent a minibus too...

J

Great. Please keep us posted when you hear back from the core team.

Eternal_Hope
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.gwu.edu/~isa/ - Indian Students at GWU

http://www14.georgetown.edu/explore/organizations/csa/ - Chinese students at Georgetown

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~pchhabra/home.htm - Indian student association University of Maryland

Any others?

sravani
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Students Council of India, Maryland

http://www.scimd.org/

sravani
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Virigina Tech

http://www.isa.org.vt.edu/

Virginia, ODU

http://www.orgs.odu.edu/isa/

devang77
05-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Hope to see all of you in DC.

Are we going to be demonstarting or just meeting senators?

If we are demonstarting (I was looking into it as part of my stayagrah idea), and couple of things (which most may already know) that I came across while doing some preliminary research are presented below:

We must not engage or plan to engage in any civil disobediance.

We have to be very careful about maintaining a control of the crowd

Not let any other miscreants (there may be random people(outsiders) that just want to start a nice donnybrooke).

We would also need to have atleast one lawyer that knows about protests and protest laws in DC and get some solid advice on how protest laws are applicable to immigrants.

We would need to have flyers (to hand out to people at street corners to raise awareness) etc done and printed

If we are going to chant we need to come up with a few good chants/slogans prior to this gathering (this was a common advice on various resources on peaceful demonstrations).

Wear something comfortable, bring water suglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
Hope this helps.

Cheers and hope to see a nice turn out.

tikka
05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Once the trip is confirmed we can put it up Sulekha.com.

raju123
05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I will be attending DC meet and try to get few people with me.

sravani
05-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Also get your camcorders, we can record the protest and upload to youtube, google videos etc if the media clowns don't provide us enough coverage

peer123
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Also get your camcorders, we can record the protest and upload to youtube, google videos etc if the media clowns don't provide us enough coverage

where exactly in DC,,,,, are we gathering

jfredr
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
keep me posted guys will plan to Joint

sravani
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
where exactly in DC,,,,, are we gathering

I think IV core will keep us posted with these details once this June 5th date is confirmed. Last I heard we are seeking permission to make sure this kind of gathering won't create any problems.

sravani
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Following are the email addresses of the ISAs in Virginia, DC, Maryland I collected. I am planning to send email to these addresses to spread the word about this rally. Please do the same.

nviradia@gmail.com

priyam@gwu.edu

chinesestudents@georgetown.edu

isa-board@umd.edu

jagann84@umd.edu

sbargava@umd.edu

nivedita@umd.edu

rjain@umd.edu

kumar@vt.edu

isa@vt.edu

gjakhar@vt.edu

kushal@vt.edu

akshi@vt.edu

ashtam82@gmail.com

nacool.r@gmail.com

omkarsravan@gmail.com

shivrajjn@yahoo.co.in

ssathiya@odu.edu

tikka
05-24-2007, 01:01 PM
This is great. Thank you

Following are the email addresses of the ISAs in Virginia, DC, Maryland I collected. I am planning to send email to these addresses to spread the word about this rally. Please do the same.

nviradia@gmail.com

priyam@gwu.edu

chinesestudents@georgetown.edu

isa-board@umd.edu

jagann84@umd.edu

sbargava@umd.edu

nivedita@umd.edu

rjain@umd.edu

kumar@vt.edu

isa@vt.edu

gjakhar@vt.edu

kushal@vt.edu

akshi@vt.edu

ashtam82@gmail.com

nacool.r@gmail.com

omkarsravan@gmail.com

shivrajjn@yahoo.co.in

ssathiya@odu.edu

msyedy
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
IV will tell us about all the plans how,where, what .. the only thing that we have to do is collect as many people as we can.

I think we can get more then a thousand in NJ/NY/DC/MD/PA/VA itself. I am trying and will keep trying till June 5th to convince as many as I can.

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-30-2007, 11:08 AM
As I have pulled a lot people who were sleeping and not aware that their lifes too going to be affected .... now they are all peped up ...now they would like to know that we are set of the June 5th ...

As there was not much of talk on this ....would like to get a confirmation.

Please confirm .....

Thanks
Arun

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-30-2007, 11:23 AM
If this is confirmed or not ... trying to keep this theard up in the list ! :)

sanjay
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Haven't got any confirmation from IV group. Waiting for confirmation to collect as many people as I can. Was thinking of putting ad's on all Indian groceries in DC area and also at Loehman's Cinema to educate and motivate all Indians to participate in large numbers.

Please update where and when we are meeting?

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Hmmm

tikka
05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Hmmm

Has everyone on this thread sent web faxes? We are trying to reach 4,000 so please take out a few minutes and send web faxes.
Thank you

whoever
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
i guess gatherings look dirty. we better not have one.

manish_jain99
05-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I stay in Bay Area, California. I already have travel plans for washington on 10th of June. I will talk to my airlines if I can prepond my journey.

tikka
05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I stay in Bay Area, California. I already have travel plans for washington on 10th of June. I will talk to my airlines if I can prepond my journey.

Thats great. But you should wait to hear from IV confirming the trip/date before you change your ticket.

Thank you

devang77
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Can we have a vote on how many people will attend the gathering on 6/5/07 in DC?
I would have done it, I just do not know how.
Thanks

Kushal
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
..across the country I will fly...see you folks there...
anyone from bay area or california?

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Not sure why .... is that they still dont have a license or if they are not sure if we can a good number of people ....

As most of the meeting just 40 to 50 people turn up ...inspite of all promotions etc ...

Arun

johnamit
05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I think its a great idea.. eventhough I will loose 1 day's $$ but I will be there to support IV and support myself.

DSJ
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I am ready with 10 people from NY, waiting for the decision.

Joke: Since we are coming in a big vehicle, hope they don't mistake we are illegals crossing border...

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Me and Couple of my friends are ready to welcome people to stay with us over night .....

It is a small gesture we would like to provide for our IV members

As of now we can take care of 6-7 members; but sure we can accomdate more by the time it is Confirmed. (Still talking to my other friends local here)

We live in Fairfax, VA 22033
DC - White house is 16 Miles from 22033.

Monday Night we could meet, have a drink or two, talk, dine and Tuesday we can fight for our rights !

If somebody is flying in on Monday can pickup from Dulles.

:)

tikka
05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Me and Couple of my friends are ready to welcome people to stay with us over night .....

It is a small gesture we would like to provide for our IV members

As of now we can take care of 6-7 members; but sure we can accomdate more by the time it is Confirmed. (Still talking to my other friends local here)

We live in Fairfax, VA 22033
DC - White house is 16 Miles from 22033.

Monday Night we could meet, have a drink or two, talk, dine and Tuesday we can fight for our rights !

If somebody is flying in on Monday can pickup from Dulles.

:)

That is extremely generous of you guys!

thank you

DSJ
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Thats a courageous statement from a person posting first message.

Anyway we will be dropping the idea of coming if it is not decided by tomorrow (read this sentence as a request not an order). We cannot get leave on the last minute in our company.

We need to have more than a few thousand people to come for it to work.

sureshj
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Cong(reg)ress
USCIS: We Delay to Earn Renewal Fees STUPID
Name Check Program: USCIS keeps the check ($) while FBI takes the Blame
NCP Delays have Adjusted our Senses - Sane to Insane
CIR: When did Unskilled become better than Skilled? It just did in America!
2010 - Unskilled States of America
Legals Pay Taxes but wait Years. Illegals don't pay Taxes but wait Days.
CIR will make US a low-cost source for Indo-China Manufacturing
What do CIR and DUH have in common? They are both Born in the USA!

raj3078
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Is the plan still on? I think someone talked about waiting for permission.....

vallabhu
05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I live in Atlanta, I will in NJ for the entire week June 3rd, I can attend upon confirmation from IV.

sanjay
05-30-2007, 05:04 PM
guys,

Are we still on plan. I have to come from WI and just can't make last minute arrangements. Let people in IV decide at earliest, whether we are on plan to gather in DC on june 5 or not?

Just can't leave client at last minutes. have to inform them well before.

pranju
05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Please do send the fax to all senators, if you have not send the webfax to all senators, please do so now

JazzByTheBay
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Would have joined, but I will be at a conference in Orlando, FL.

jazz

..across the country I will fly...see you folks there...
anyone from bay area or california?

PBECVictim
05-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I will try to bring some more people.. At least 10 people more.. Please fix the date ASAP.

fromnaija
05-30-2007, 06:21 PM
I live in Phoenix, Arizona and will be there if confirmed by Friday. Anything later than Friday will not work for me.

EkAurAaya
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I wont be able to make it... but here is a flyer idea that i posted on another thread (ideas to increase publicity), feel free to use it if you think it might help... best of luck to all. You dont have to speak a word.. just distribute this it will speak for itself :)

__________________________________________________ ____________

Oppose Unfair Immigration Reform Bill favoring Illegals over Legal's!

All we ask is treat the currently backlogged legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants and family-based applicants in the Immigration Reform bill S. 1348.

I'm a Legal:

____8____ Years in USA

____8____ Years paid Taxes

____8____ Years Abided by all law's of ths Land

_Masters_ Degree

Waiting patiently in line...

There is no provision in the bill that would reward me for playing by the rules. If you think it's unfair then please let your Senetor know that you oppose any bill that has no provision to support LEGAL honest law abiding, hard working, educated individuals... patiently waiting in line for their turn to get a Green Card.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Immigration Reform bill S. 1348.

1. Section 501(b) reduces the number of green cards to legal skilled immigrants from the current 140,000/year to 90,000/year and diverts the major portion of those green cards to future low-skills guest workers under the Y visa program. Instead of increasing that number to reduce the backlogs this section take a step backwards and would exacerbate the backlogs. On the other hand, 503(f)(2) of this act would allocate an estimated 11 million green cards over a time frame of 5 years – 2.2 million a year – to undocumented immigrants. Immigration Voice requests congress to treat legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants and increase the number of green cards to at least 250,000 for 5 years for currently backlogged applicants defined under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to reduce to current backlog before the untested points based merit system is functional.

2. Immigration Voice requests congress to waive per-country ceilings on backlogged petitions to be processed under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to make the backlog reduction more efficient. The bill provides a very similar waiver from per-country ceilings to family based pending petitions in section 508(b).

3. Immigration Voice requests congress to allow legal skilled immigrants to file for adjustment of status for those applicants who have been certified by DOL to be doing jobs no US citizen is willing, qualified or able to do. This would be at parity with provisions for undocumented immigrants who would qualify for instant work permit (probationary card) that allows them to work without employer sponsor and without department of labor’s certification simply by registering.
__________________________________________________ _______________

www.ImmigrationVoice.org
Mailing Address:
PO Box 114
Dayton
New Jersey -08810
Telephone: (850) 391-4966
Email: info@immigrationvoice.org

ARUNRAMANATHAN
05-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I know you guys are trying to get the June 5th protest going ..... but looks like number of people are trying travel and need to make plan ahead ....

BTW we have to plan what to on that day ....

At least for it is the first time , I am sure it may be the same for a lot more.

Keep us posted .... Thanks

Arun

johnamit
05-31-2007, 01:34 AM
If we gather on weekend then lot of folks can drive to DC from places like Georgia, NJ, NY, NC etc.

What you guys think?

bigboy007
05-31-2007, 01:46 AM
is still June 5 on cards ? Did we get permit from officials etc so that travel plans can be set? if we are looking at good no. its needed to be known

devang77
05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
^^..Core we need some guidance, one way or another, on this...^^

priderock
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
What's core team's guidance on it ? Is any one trying to get the required permits ? Will it go through ?? I am in too...

mirage
05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Guys please don't show up in D.C. just like that and than bad mouth IV. The IV core talked about it long back and since then they have asked us to hold on until further notified. They need to make lot of arrangements for something like this. I think we should wait until further notified.

logiclife
05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
We do not have the availability of key core group members on June 5th to dirvert time from current activities and arrange for permits, paperwork and organization of such a large-participation event.

Unfortunately, at this time we are cancelling the event on June 5th. If we plan such a similar event at a later date, we will let you know thru newsletters.

That should not deter members from forming small groups of 3-4 each and heading to DC to meet lawmaker's offices. Get read step by step directions on how to seek appointments and meet lawmakers (its very easy), click at the link below :

HOW TO GET APPOINTMENT AND MEET LAWMAKER'S STAFF:
http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=36

WHAT TO TALK ABOUT (Use Webfax Material as listed below, and then add other documents listed here under "must read" (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=36) ):

Immigration Voice (www.immigrationvoice.org) represents the interest of 500,000 legal skilled immigrants in the United States on the path to Greencards who have been stuck in enormous backlogs and delays in immigration process.

The career growth, job mobility and quality of life of these half a million legal skilled immigrants is subverted by the bill in its current form.

1.Section 501(b) reduces the number of Greencards to legal skilled immigrants from the current 140,000/year to 90,000/year and diverts the major portion of those Greencards to future low-skills guest workers under the Y visa program. Instead of increasing that number to reduce the backlogs this section take a step backwards and would exacerbate the backlogs. On the other hand, 503(f)(2) of this act would allocate an estimated 11 million Greencards over a time frame of 5 years - 2.2 million a year - to undocumented immigrants. Immigration Voice requests congress to treat legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants and increase the number of Greencards to at least 250,000 for 5 years for currently backlogged applicants defined under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to reduce to current backlog before the untested points based merit system is functional.

2.Immigration Voice requests congress to waive per-country ceilings on backlogged petitions to be processed under Sec. 502(d)(2) in order to make the backlog reduction more efficient. The bill provides a very similar waiver from per-country ceilings to family based pending petitions in section 508(b).

3.Immigration Voice requests congress to allow legal skilled immigrants to file for adjustment of status for those applicants who have been certified by DOL to be doing jobs no US citizen is willing qualified or able to do. This would be at parity with provisions for undocumented immigrants who would qualify for instant work permit (probationary card) that allows them to work without employer sponsor and without department of labor's certification by simply by registering.

Immigration Voice strongly opposes the bill S 1348 in its current form and requests congress to amend this bill and treat the legal skilled immigrants at parity with undocumented immigrants, future guest-workers and pending family-based applicants.