PDA

View Full Version : Consulting or Non Consulting

amitga
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I am not sure why people are not worried about the consulting clause in the CIR. I think that is even a bigger problem than greencard. According to this Bill all the people who are on H1 and working in consulting will immediately loose the ablity to work. They do not have to worry ablut green card as then either they will have to find a full time job or leave USA. If they find a full time job then they will have to start Green Card afresh in the Merit based system.

So I am more worried about H1b than my Green card and retrogression.

Take the Poll

satishku_2000
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Isn't this clause only applicable for people working only at clients physical location , Is this applicable for people who work at consulting comapnies physical location too?

theMan
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Again being a consultant is also a full time job. You can also be at a non-consulting company, but still be billable to a client. There is so much gray area here.

jonty_11
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I think IEEE, Programmers Guild etc....have won this battle.....unless we get his provision striken off...Consultancy will be a thing of the past....

But I am sure companies will try to find a way to bypass that...but looking at the bill...they seem to have put more restrictions/checks on end clients.....so it may turnout to be difficult to bypass these provisions.

smmakani
05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
There are lot of people who sits at Client's Client location and there could be more nesting than this. This all has resulted from backlog becuase you can not join your end client.

satishku_2000
05-23-2007, 03:58 PM
How about if people work on Statement of work based projects for end clients?

amitga
05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Please take the poll

smmakani
05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
How about if people work on Statement of work based projects for end clients?
It all depends who are you reporting to. If your supervisor/manager is not your employer than you are a consultant. Does this answers your question?

satishku_2000
05-23-2007, 05:24 PM
It all depends who are you reporting to. If your supervisor/manager is not your employer than you are a consultant. Does this answers your question?

What if my manager/supervisor is on pay rolls of both companies client as well as consulting company's....:D :D :D :D

lskreddy
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
You know, if there is one thing that I have learnt in the past 8 years of this immigration quagmire, then that's got to be to remain optimistic and give time to rule the roost.

For all our worries, lets for a second, play devil's advocate and say its going to happen. Consulting is banned, companies like Wipros, TCS's, Accenture and several others such as these including our own desi bro companies will get effected.

Flip side to that is to find citizen independent consultants or to send jobs out.

I for one believe that this will force America to bleed jobs. Bleed hightech jobs out of every nozzle they have. They can keep all the Agi jobs, lawn moving jobs they want but it cannot stop technological innovations wait while they are trying to fill people using citizen consultants.

Globalization will knock the wind out of America if they sit and pass stupid laws just because democrats and republicans want to fullfil their egos. If it has to happen, so be it. What goes up has to come down. America rode up because they had the knack to attract the best and the brightest, now, if they decide to kick them out, watch the elevator come down...

We all have walked into US and have our moderate success that we have in a foreign nation. Now if we are pushed to go back, I personally would take it as a challenge to better myself in my own nation. US is an awesome place, no doubts abt it, but laws like this will only express its growing ignorance as well as arrogance....

My 2 annas....

baburob2
05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
what is the interpretation of H1B consulting as per this bill. Is it allowed if the consultant is working at the client site but not outplacing the client's US employees for 180 days or more (before and after the recruitment) and also reports to the consulting companies employer rather than the client employer.

java_jaggu
05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

lskreddy

You know, if there is one thing that I have learnt in the past 8 years of this immigration quagmire, then that's got to be to remain optimistic and give time to rule the roost.

For all our worries, lets for a second, play devil's advocate and say its going to happen. Consulting is banned, companies like Wipros, TCS's, Accenture and several others such as these including our own desi bro companies will get effected.

Flip side to that is to find citizen independent consultants or to send jobs out.

I for one believe that this will force America to bleed jobs. Bleed hightech jobs out of every nozzle they have. They can keep all the Agi jobs, lawn moving jobs they want but it cannot stop technological innovations wait while they are trying to fill people using citizen consultants.

Globalization will knock the wind out of America if they sit and pass stupid laws just because democrats and republicans want to fullfil their egos. If it has to happen, so be it. What goes up has to come down. America rode up because they had the knack to attract the best and the brightest, now, if they decide to kick them out, watch the elevator come down...

We all have walked into US and have our moderate success that we have in a foreign nation. Now if we are pushed to go back, I personally would take it as a challenge to better myself in my own nation. US is an awesome place, no doubts abt it, but laws like this will only express its growing ignorance as well as arrogance....

My 2 annas....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

lsk, great post ! My thoughts exactly, if this really goes through US will be on the fast track to become a third world country .. if that's going to be the case I would rather be in my own land where I am free to do anything I wish, rather than sucking up to the dublin's and the grassley's .. will have vicarious and sadistic pleasure in seeing these bastards paying the price for their 'superpower' arrogance ...

newuser
05-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Can we hide the user names from displaying who voted?

purplehazea
05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Are you affected by this consulting ban if you are on EAD and not on H1B?

reddysn
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
take the poll

paskal
05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
folks in order for consulting to be a problem there must be "indication of employer-employee relationship with the client", surely there are ways around this to ensure this does not happen

the language is similar to L1 language
and plenty of L1's do consulting..

baburob2
05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Paskal
So is the below scenario fine to peform consulting.

what is the interpretation of H1B consulting as per this bill. Is it allowed if the consultant is working at the client site but not outplacing the client's US employees for 180 days or more (before and after the recruitment) and also reports to the consulting companies employer rather than the client employer

smmakani
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
What if my manager/supervisor is on pay rolls of both companies client as well as consulting company's....:D :D :D :D

I never heard about this before but you are safe.

aj2000
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I voted myself as a full time employee. But, confused.

As per the discussions here, if for example an Infosys employee (full time) is working on a project which is outsourced to Infosys and he is reporting to a manager from Infosys, both of them working in their client's place, IS this an example of consulting or full time?

I guessed this as a full time position and voted accordingly. Could somebody explain if I am right? I would be happy if proven wrong., because then I will know that Indian giants like infy, wipro will also be affected by this bill and they will also show some consideration.

Thanks

gc_chahiye
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I voted myself as a full time employee. But, confused.

As per the discussions here, if for example an Infosys employee (full time) is working on a project which is outsourced to Infosys and he is reporting to a manager from Infosys, both of them working in their client's place, IS this an example of consulting or full time?

I guessed this as a full time position and voted accordingly. Could somebody explain if I am right? I would be happy if proven wrong., because then I will know that Indian giants like infy, wipro will also be affected by this bill and they will also show some consideration.

Thanks

if you are working at a client site then it is consulting, so thats the way you should vote.

What specific form of consulting is not allowed, and in what specific conditions is still to-be-decided in this bill (Eg: the employee-employer relationship has to be clarified etc). However for the purpose of this poll, you are consulting. Whether what you are doing gets banned or escapes will depend on the exact wording of the final law and the USCIS interpretation etc.

tikka
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Please send the web fax! It is very easy and will take less than a minute.

Thank You

aj2000
05-23-2007, 10:43 PM
if you are working at a client site then it is consulting, so thats the way you should vote.

What specific form of consulting is not allowed, and in what specific conditions is still to-be-decided in this bill (Eg: the employee-employer relationship has to be clarified etc). However for the purpose of this poll, you are consulting. Whether what you are doing gets banned or escapes will depend on the exact wording of the final law and the USCIS interpretation etc.

I am happy tp know that I with all the giants like wipro and Infy likes are in the same sinking boat. :-) Hope these giants help us seel the holes.

Btw., can I change my vote?

Alabaman
05-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Please take the poll

THE POLL WOULD NOT DO US ANY GOOD... IT WOULD ONLY MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD (OR BAD) INSIDE.

amitga
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\