PDA

View Full Version : Reply from USCIS-Confused and frustrated

seekerofpeace
08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Fellow sufferers,

I had contacted USCIS (Nat Srv centre) couple of weeks back to check on the status of my 485 application (since the status of my application was "Response to RFE received case continuing ...contact after 60 days if no response received" and that was as of last Nov. So I opened a service request. Yesterday I got a letter from them....here is the gist:

Caller indicated: Applicant
Attorney name : Info not avl
Case Type: I485
Filing date: 07/23/07
Recipt #
Referral ID:
Beneficiary: Info not avl
Your USCIS A #: Info not avl
Type of serv req: Outside normal processing times

The status of this service request is:

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer serv ...

My confusion/frustration:
Last I contacted my congressman I was informed all background check was done and the application is awaiting visa number....now it seems I may get additional RFEs or Background checks...and I will miss the window of opportunity again...also the tense of the letter "have to perform additional review" does it mean already performed or going to be performed et al....

So the eternal question where do I stand....I guess I should not be hoping for any good news in September and if anything more pain from USCIS..Also why is my A#, Attorney info, beneficiar info - unavailable...

any of you got similar letters....

Should I take an Infopass...they may repeat the same cryptic story.....

Frustrated as ever..

SoP

GCNirvana007
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Fellow sufferers,

I had contacted USCIS (Nat Srv centre) couple of weeks back to check on the status of my 485 application (since the status of my application was "Response to RFE received case continuing ...contact after 60 days if no response received" and that was as of last Nov. So I opened a service request. Yesterday I got a letter from them....here is the gist:

Caller indicated: Applicant
Attorney name : Info not avl
Case Type: I485
Filing date: 07/23/07
Recipt #
Referral ID:
Beneficiary: Info not avl
Your USCIS A #: Info not avl
Type of serv req: Outside normal processing times

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer serv ...

My confusion/frustration:
Last I contacted my congressman I was informed all background check was done and the application is awaiting visa number....now it seems I may get additional RFEs or Background checks...and I will miss the window of opportunity again...also the tense of the letter "have to perform additional review" does it mean already performed or going to be performed et al....

So the eternal question where do I stand....I guess I should not be hoping for any good news in September and if anything more pain from USCIS..Also why is my A#, Attorney info, beneficiar info - unavailable...

any of you got similar letters....

Should I take an Infopass...they may repeat the same cryptic story.....

Frustrated as ever..

SoP

Seekerofpeace - I have been reading your post for a while and there is not a bit of optimism in you. I am getting a feeling that you have made your life behind GC. The emotions you exhibit are the ones i have seen when people are in dire straits for life.

Think about people who are blind, who dont have legs, dont have arms - they are happier than you.

You need to change your state of mind and start to learn being happy with what you have got. If you focus your life around USCIS you are heading into depression.

pd_recapturing
08-30-2009, 12:32 PM
seekerOfPeace,
This is standard reply and I have got exactly same response (ctrl C & V) a couple of days ago. I know that lots of ppl are getting same reply from TSC. NSC has different format of same reply so NSC ppl r getting same responses in different format. In a nut shell, USCIS is not willing to provide any new information on our cases. I happened to take Infopass as well and I got to know from them the my case is gone to extended review but I am sure, it has not been as an ombudsman response mentioned that my case is awaiting visa #. I guess, infopass is also giving the same response to ppl who r enquiring about the status of their cases.
Since, you got a rfe so according to general wisdom, you should be approved as u will be lower hanging apple for them to eat (i meant approve :)
all the best.

seekerofpeace
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks for your response pd_recapturing.
How did you contact ombudsman? Is there a standard format...is ombudsman a better option than congressman/senator....I have tried the latter in vain...

GCNirvana,
You r absolutely right...USCIS/DHS has converted me from one who used to look at a glass half full into one who looks at it as half empty.....I am cynical but can't help it....the lackadaisical attitude that I see in the USCIS seems to be the same if not worse in the authorities in India that I wanted to escape from long time back....

I desperately want to be optimistic and I hope I become one soon....

Best

SoP

gc28262
08-30-2009, 01:44 PM
SOP,

I received a similar response when I raised a SR for my case. I didn't have any rfe. Just raised a service request to know the status.

response received:

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer service at the number provided below.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

What I understand is they are providing an excuse for not completing the processing of my app.

seekerofpeace
08-30-2009, 02:12 PM
GC28262,

Thanks for your response.....So it is a trend I suppose.....sometimes i feel is it too much to ask the status after you have spent a decade waiting and doing the proper thing.....even that they can't comply with..........

So i suppose we can just wait.....last year when I sent letters to who's who of the USA I got an RFE after a couple of months....but I think at least it initiated some action on their part....I am not sure if I do the same again it will do anything different this time......

I had sent letters to Kerry and Kennedy...but they came back with standard responses.....but at least they responded......I think Kennedy's staff responded that they don't see my case as urgent enough for them to interfere.....I had not asked to interfere I just wanted to know the status.....again these letters go to lower level staff members and the persons these letters were intended to never got any whiff of it....

But I may contact ombudsman....I need to know how to contact him....

Best

SoP

GCfast
08-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I received the exact same message for both me and my spouse. Wonder what we could do next ?..

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer service at the number provided below.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283

irock
08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi seekerOfPeace/GC28262/pd_recapturing

Did you guys recd soft LUD when you got response for your SR? I recd similar reply for my SR and on the same day I got soft LUD also (on 8/27/09).

seekerofpeace
08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
iRock,
Actually I filed an AR-11 and also opened a SR on the same day and 10 days later I saw a soft LUD (after 15 or so months of hibernation). So I don't know if the LUD is for SR or AR-11....(although in my AR-11 the change is only the apt number everything else is the same)

Funnily I changed my wife's address too as she is dependent on my application also updated the address for her I485....10 days later I got a letter from USCIS...request denied as beneficiary is not same as applicant...what a stupid reason...why then was there a link to change address for dependents (in the first place).

So I again filed an AR-11 this time as her as applicant and also changed her 485 address.
Though I did an AR-11 and a 485 address change...I saw a soft LUD on my EAD and I-140 (which was already approved at least as things stand now)....

Strange are their ways....

SoP

irock
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I wish all of us will be approved this time.

iRock,
Actually I filed an AR-11 and also opened a SR on the same day and 10 days later I saw a soft LUD (after 15 or so months of hibernation). So I don't know if the LUD is for SR or AR-11....(although in my AR-11 the change is only the apt number everything else is the same)

Funnily I changed my wife's address too as she is dependent on my application also updated the address for her I485....10 days later I got a letter from USCIS...request denied as beneficiary is not same as applicant...what a stupid reason...why then was there a link to change address for dependents (in the first place).

So I again filed an AR-11 this time as her as applicant and also changed her 485 address.
Though I did an AR-11 and a 485 address change...I saw a soft LUD on my EAD and I-140 (which was already approved at least as things stand now)....

Strange are their ways....

SoP

gc28262
08-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi seekerOfPeace/GC28262/pd_recapturing

Did you guys recd soft LUD when you got response for your SR? I recd similar reply for my SR and on the same day I got soft LUD also (on 8/27/09).

No I did not have a soft LUD after SR.

--gc28262

gc28262
08-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Here is how to contact Ombudsman:
DHS | CIS Ombudsman - Case Problems (http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0497.shtm)

Here is the link to form 7001:
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_dhsform7001.pdf

seekerofpeace
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the link.

Do you guys have any positive experience with contacting ombudsmen? How long it typically takes to get a feedback?

So I will skip the Infopass then if it is gonna be the same as SR .....

Thanks,

SoP

digmetalq
08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
is this tranperency promised by the administration or is it eyewash by sending mails of extended review of case which is beyond processing times. Where is the time for the applicant to hold the job in this economy for a decade.

jsb
08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link.

Do you guys have any positive experience with contacting ombudsmen? How long it typically takes to get a feedback?

So I will skip the Infopass then if it is gonna be the same as SR .....

Thanks,

SoP

I contacted Ombudsman last year around this time when I was Current. I just asked to have my case seen before those who filed after me, and whose PD was later than mine, as I was watching otherwise, and feared visas may exhaust soon. They forwarded it to TSC Texas. TSC waited until October to reply (I was not Current at that time), with a standard reply that my PD was not current (they even sent me a hardcopy of October08 VB). It appears they never looked at my complaint, or did not want to look at it, and waited until they could have a easy and convenient reply.

Ombudsman approach is not guaranteed either, but try, there is no cost to it. Replies mentioned above are standard replies to keep you away for at least 6 months. No one can question additional review, so they just mentioned that in it.

chanduv23
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
The "enquiry system" with USCIS is not guaranteed to give you the exact results. You may just be in luck if you get a response like "your case is preadjudicated awaiting visa number", or "your case is in such and such ......."

Ombudsman's office may also not be very helpful.

If people are frustrated with the way in which the "enquiry system" works - the best thing is to use IV as a platform and address such issues. IV can definitely help with such issues. The first thing is to form a group of people, discuss what the issues are, discuss best possible remedies, gather support, and make a strong case - then approach appropriate authorities with full support so that a response is guaranteed.

"Hope and luck" are not guaranteed - but if we all collectively do omething then we can have guaranteed results and also the peace of mind that everyone is looking for.

jsb
08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
The "enquiry system" with USCIS is not guaranteed to give you the exact results. You may just be in luck if you get a response like "your case is preadjudicated awaiting visa number", or "your case is in such and such ......."

They will never say in writing that case is waiting for visa availability, because they can not say that (verbally anything will work). But they have total freedom to decide on extended reviews, detailed investigation, etc. etc.

Legally, Adjustment of Status (I-485) can only be filed when visa is available immediately. In July 07 they falsely announced so. Since then, those waiting, are legalling waiting for administrative processing, and getting interim benefits (EAD, AP etc). There is no clear defintion of administrative processing; it can be anything the IO's (or their bosses) can think of, to cover themselves for falsely announcing visa availability for all in July 07.