PDA

View Full Version : CA - Meet the lawmakers

black_logs
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Guys we had a conference call with the CA folks yesterday. It was an excellent call people came forward with new ideas. Let's discuss all that on this forum here.

justAnotherFile
01-23-2006, 02:46 AM
Whats the POA?

Is the CA drive currently centered around any particular city? How many members from CA?

bluekayal
01-27-2006, 01:41 AM
"Bringing Congress to the People."

9 -11 am, Saturday, January 28, 2006:
at the Auditorium of Laney College, Oakland

sponsored by the Congressional Black Caucus Institute,
open to the public
followed by a press conference

About 18 members of the Congressional Black Caucus, the Congressional
Hispanic Caucus and the Congressional Asian Pacific Islander Caucus and
special guests will address healthcare, poverty, and immigration.

contact Barabara Lee's District Office at (510) 763-0370.

Several of us are thinking of going. Why not join us if you are in the Bay Area?

davidbhatt
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Dose any one care for people who have been deported and had a green card,,,,, their wife,kids,mom,dad,brother,sister, every one are in us,
oh ya and dont say that their is a lawyers for that cause their are people who cant aford lawyers, dam some time this country make's me fell sick as hell,

iptel
01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
There has to be reason why greencard holder been deported likely due to some illegal act. Here we are law abiding resident waiting for our legal status in legal ways.
So I dont understand where this deportation issue coming from.

bluekayal
02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi folks in California,

So far we've had meetings with the staff of 3 lawmakers. They were all pretty interesting meetings. There's much to do and so few of us to do it.
Its great being part of a small foused group...that is walking the talk.

Even if you've never done it before, please sign up here, and join our regular conference calls.

pdakwala
02-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Please read on:

Meeting Notes :
Meeting with Lauren Hole, Field Representative of Rep.George Miller (Concord).

A group from CALIFORNIA Met with Lauren. She was not aware of the EB based GC process. So we updated her on the process and the issues. She patiently listened to us for an hour. She said she would bring it up with her counterparts in Washington, but was not sure if she would be heard on this. When asked what we could do to make us heard, she said " Just continue what you are doing.. Contact your local Congress persons".

Meeting with Luis Quinonez and Pepei Yu, Field Reps at Rep. Barbara Lee ( Oakland).

This meeting went very well, because both of them knew very well what the issues are with the Labor BECs and with the Retrogression. They also knew about all the bills around the immigration. They had gone through the IV web site and also the brochure.

They were very sympathetic to our cause and said "Barbara Lee is on your side. And we understand all your problems and we are with you in asking for these reforms". They gave us some specific action plans:

Get a few people who live in Oakland to write to B.Lee's office stating that :
They live in such and such address (should be within the Oakland congressional district)
Their case details with case number.
That they represent Immigration Voice which has several x number of members who are similarly affected.
State our cause (goals) and request that Rep. Barbara Lee should please consider / vote favorable for our case.
Pepei Yu mentioned that if they get these letters, it gets filed and entered into a database and is seen by the Congresswoman. So, we have to draft the letter and get about 10 –20 people in the Oakland Congressional District to do this. Please get your contacts or friends to do this.

Pepei Yu also educated us that the Congressman / woman can only look into matters of their own Congressional District . It is considered federal felony if they engage in interests of other dicstricts. So she said it is very important that we get people to appeal to the Congress person of their own district. The Congress person they should contact is the one that governs the place where they live (not the place where they work). She suggested that we make a template of the letter and use it across the country replacing our names and the Congresspersons name as appropriate. Both Luis and Pepei stroingly encouraged us to do this across the country and mentioned that this was a sure way of reaching out and making our voice heard.

3. They were very helpful and suggested that we keep in contact with them to monitor these issues. They also offered to let us know when they may have someone from the USCIS or other such Immigration related authorities addressing open forums.

They strongly suggested that we get in touch with Senator Feinstein (they provided a contact) and also get in touch with every congress person in the area (Bay Area) – esp those that are Moderate Democrats. The thinking was that it may be easier to get the moderates over to our view point rather than people who are totally against immigration.

admin
02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Way to go California team. The rest of the states should look to CA as our role model.

javaconsultant
02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Good job guys !
Keep it up.

Please read on:

Meeting Notes :
Meeting with Lauren Hole, Field Representative of Rep.George Miller (Concord).

A group from CALIFORNIA Met with Lauren. She was not aware of the EB based GC process. So we updated her on the process and the issues. She patiently listened to us for an hour. She said she would bring it up with her counterparts in Washington, but was not sure if she would be heard on this. When asked what we could do to make us heard, she said " Just continue what you are doing.. Contact your local Congress persons".

Meeting with Luis Quinonez and Pepei Yu, Field Reps at Rep. Barbara Lee ( Oakland).

This meeting went very well, because both of them knew very well what the issues are with the Labor BECs and with the Retrogression. They also knew about all the bills around the immigration. They had gone through the IV web site and also the brochure.

They were very sympathetic to our cause and said "Barbara Lee is on your side. And we understand all your problems and we are with you in asking for these reforms". They gave us some specific action plans:

Get a few people who live in Oakland to write to B.Lee's office stating that :
They live in such and such address (should be within the Oakland congressional district)
Their case details with case number.
That they represent Immigration Voice which has several x number of members who are similarly affected.
State our cause (goals) and request that Rep. Barbara Lee should please consider / vote favorable for our case.
Pepei Yu mentioned that if they get these letters, it gets filed and entered into a database and is seen by the Congresswoman. So, we have to draft the letter and get about 10 –20 people in the Oakland Congressional District to do this. Please get your contacts or friends to do this.

Pepei Yu also educated us that the Congressman / woman can only look into matters of their own Congressional District . It is considered federal felony if they engage in interests of other dicstricts. So she said it is very important that we get people to appeal to the Congress person of their own district. The Congress person they should contact is the one that governs the place where they live (not the place where they work). She suggested that we make a template of the letter and use it across the country replacing our names and the Congresspersons name as appropriate. Both Luis and Pepei stroingly encouraged us to do this across the country and mentioned that this was a sure way of reaching out and making our voice heard.

3. They were very helpful and suggested that we keep in contact with them to monitor these issues. They also offered to let us know when they may have someone from the USCIS or other such Immigration related authorities addressing open forums.

They strongly suggested that we get in touch with Senator Feinstein (they provided a contact) and also get in touch with every congress person in the area (Bay Area) – esp those that are Moderate Democrats. The thinking was that it may be easier to get the moderates over to our view point rather than people who are totally against immigration.

Berkeleybee
02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
All,

I'm posting this here since the old volunteer forums are no longer available. Where all have you posted flyers, info in CA?

For those in the Bay Area: Have you contacted the new Indian Community Center in http://indiacc.org/Default.aspx (they have locations in Milpitas and Sunnyvale)? I don't live in the South Bay, but it seems like this is a pretty active space. Wonder if they would let us give a talk, and/or post flyers etc. If no one has been in touch with them, I could try.

Thanks,
Berkeleybee

baburob2
02-04-2006, 11:20 PM
guys i posted flyers in areas around LA at Artesia, Temples/Grocery stores around Orange County. Will do more of posting around LA. If you know of places around LA where there can be more of Indians, Chinese, Filipinos please let me know I will post them and try to talk to people around.

bluekayal
02-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Good idea. Most of the Bay Area folks are in South Bay and I am sure would find it pretty easy to get to ICC.

Bluekayal

All,

I'm posting this here since the old volunteer forums are no longer available. Where all have you posted flyers, info in CA?

For those in the Bay Area: Have you contacted the new Indian Community Center in http://indiacc.org/Default.aspx (they have locations in Milpitas and Sunnyvale)? I don't live in the South Bay, but it seems like this is a pretty active space. Wonder if they would let us give a talk, and/or post flyers etc. If no one has been in touch with them, I could try.

Thanks,
Berkeleybee

Berkeleybee
02-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Good idea. Most of the Bay Area folks are in South Bay and I am sure would find it pretty easy to get to ICC.

Bluekayal

Bluekayal,

Did you get a chance to look at the ICC board of directors? They are exactly the kind of people who we need on our side (and in our bank account).

I may be getting carried away here -- but if we get coherent enough, wonder if we could do a fund raising event at the ICC.

Berkeleybee

Berkeleybee
02-05-2006, 02:11 PM
All,

Another thought: the flyer we have now was a good start, and at the time when we started we didn't have other material in place.

But esp in places which have a real bulletin board where information will stay on for a while, I think we should give out a little more information on who we are, what the problems is and what we are asking for.

So at a place like ICC, maybe we should pin a copy of our brochure, and another sheet formatted like the brochure in which we give instructions on how to donate money.

The brochure format and content also looks professional, more credible than a flyer that resembles flyers for rentals, car sales etc etc.

best,
Berkeleybee

pasupuleti
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
we are meeting Mike Honda's staff on 02-10-2006 @ 1.00 PM. This meeting is to educate the lawmakers about our issues & IV goals.

Mike Honda's office Address:

1999 South Bascom Ave
Suite 815
Campbell CA - 95008.

send me a private msg if you like to attend.

bluekayal
02-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Great going! And we are meeting Dianne Feinstein's staff next week as well. Send me a pvt message if you'd like to attend.

oguinan
02-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Guys, I'm as furstrated as everybody else with the process and I would like to direct that frustration into something positive. :)
I live in San Francisco so my congresswoman is Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein's office is in the city.

I'm very impressed with the momentum that this group is putting together and I would be happy to be a part of the work that you are doing.

bluekayal
02-10-2006, 11:37 AM
I've sent you a pm Oguinan.

Way to go!

Berkeleybee
02-10-2006, 03:59 PM
All,

We have a head start on Northern CA lawmakers, but we'd like to galvanize the rest of the state.

We have an excel spreadsheet with the district office info of every CA congressperson. We should just start going through that list and meeting at least a lawmaker or two a week in every sub-region.

It would be great if members from Southern CA and Central CA would get involved. Dial-in to the weekly conference call on Thursdays, and find out how we put a lawmaker meeting together, what works and what doesn't, what to take etc.

Also, if you go to the Resources section of the website -- you'll see the new presentation and edited brochure. Check them out and prepare yourself for conversations with legislators and potential members.

Join the crusade people!

Berkeleybee

nandakumar
02-14-2006, 08:06 PM
I live in south bay and would definitely like to join.

neokernel
02-14-2006, 08:20 PM
When they ask 245i (April 2001 Deadline) people to submit the application for legal status (Labor.. i-140 ..etc) why didn't they also create the VISA Number for them?
It's legal immigrant taking the hit because of illegal immigrants.
They should define completly different path and laws to make illegals to legal.

Agree?

Berkeleybee
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Feb 15, 2006

Today, four members of IV met with 3 staffers from Dianne Feinstein’s office in San Francisco.
Two constituent services representatives, who deal with immigration problems on a daily basis (helping people with labor cert, I-140, I-485, security check etc problems) and one assistant field representative who interfaces with the Senator’s staff in DC on a whole host of issues.

We spent 1.5 hours with them. We went through our presentation, answering questions and giving examples all the way. Then we spent some time talking about how they could help us, suggestions about what IV should do, and how we could work with them. All in all it was an excellent meeting – they were riveted through out – asked lots of questions and were very supportive.

TAKEAWAYS

1.Getting the Word Out to Lawmakers

• They all said they learned a lot from our presentation – the people who deal with immigration problems on a nitty gritty daily level didn’t know the big picture on legal immigration, and the field representative didn’t know anything about the particular problems of legal EB immigrants.
• The field representative said she had had three meeting with immigration related groups that day already, and that the Senator’s staff has been hearing about immigration a lot BUT this was the first time she was hearing about legal skilled immigrants!!
• They thought our goals were reasonable and that they would be supportive. They thought we should reach out to as many other lawmakers as possible

BOTTOM LINE: Do you want favorable legislation not to pass simply because people didn’t know about our problems??? No! We need to get the word out.

2.Content

• They repeatedly said they were impressed with our presentation (go check it out).
• They liked the fact that we had an easy to read table which showed which of the current bills addressed some of our goals.
• They liked the fact that we printed and bound two copies of the presentation to give them.
• We also gave them copies of our tri-fold brochure
• We also gave them a number tabbed, bound copy of the following

-Must Read Documents on Legal Skilled Immigration

a) CIS Ombudsman's Report:
http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/CIS_AnnualReport_2005.pdf

b) GAO Report on Backlogs at USCIS
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d0620.pdf

c) Exec Summary of NAS Rising Above a Gathering Storm
http://fermat.nap.edu/catalog/11463.html

d) How Visa Date Cutoffs Are Established from July 2000 Bulletin
http://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/ERC/visa_bulletin/2000-07bulletin.html

e) President’s Economic Report: Chapter 2: Skills for the U.S. Workforce.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/ch2-erp06.pdf

3.Action Items
• We decided to keep in touch – I will follow up on the feedback they get from the Senator’s DC staffers.
• They wanted to know more about how our meetings with other lawmakers are going.
• I offered to act as source of facts and examples for their office on these issues – since I have read the relevant documents and data carefully.
• They suggested that we keep reaching out to members of the House – especially those who are in states without a lot of tech sector firms – those are the people who are least likely to know about our existence, let alone our problems.

BOTTOM LINE: I will keep in touch with all three, sharing talking points and getting feedback.

4. Lessons for future meetings with lawmakers/ Lessons for other states
• Do not be intimidated by the idea of initiating a meeting with the staffers of lawmaker – they do this all the time, and are friendly, easy to talk to, it is their job to listen to you– just put yourselves in the mindset of someone telling a story to a friendly audience.
• Get organized, print and bind copies of the presentation and additional docs listed above to give to them.
• Do a dry run of the talk, so that you build a narrative patter to go with the slides – this worked really well in this meeting.
• Whenever possible use examples from the experience of the IV members present to illustrate the point in the slide – for example when we were doing the I-485 Life with and Without Slide, we used Ollie and Neha’s experiences with layoffs and partner not being able to work
• Ask how you can follow up with them, what they would like you to do
• Write to thank them for their time and reiterate your basic points

So people from other states – come on lets go!

Berkeleybee
02-15-2006, 10:41 PM
If you haven't already volunteered for the CA team, please get in touch with blue_kayal and get information about the weekly call. Sign up, and participate in a lawmaker meeting near you.

admin
02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Once again CA is leading the way for the rest of us to follow. Thanks for posting the detailed minutes of the meeting and the follow up.

Everyone, please note how easy it is do it and how much effect it has.

bluekayal
02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Nandakumar,

The conference call is today. Please send me a PM. There is lots of exciting work ahead, and we need more hands!

Bluekayal

I live in south bay and would definitely like to join.

pasupuleti
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
We distributed 900 flyers in livermore temple on 02/25/2005. Response is good. We need more volunteers for meeting lawmakers & other efforts, please come forward to help us.

sundar99
02-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Folks,

Not sure if this is a good idea, 1. Either to put a English note on How chinese is affected because of EB Visa Retrogression ? and pass the website and email id to join ?

Or get a person to translate it into Chinese and put it up in Ranch 99 - Milpitas, berkley, Fremont, Sanjose ? Ranch 99 is a popular place among chinese network to buy vegetables and well networked among chinese !

I am assuming there must be similar network of Chinese Shops in other cities !. I am going to ask students from china to post it in their internal mail aliases for wide coverage !

Some thoughts on this ? ALSO _ Indians perhaps can talk to Silicon india, then other Bay Area local newspapers to publish it ? - Put it up in Komala Vilas, Udupi, etc ?

Berkeleybee
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Sure, why not.

Can you have one of your students come up with some Chinese text for us? An 8x11 poster's worth? We can place that pdf in our resources section.

Here in the East Bay, the Pacific East Mall (incl Ranch 99) would be a great place for this.

bluekayal
02-27-2006, 01:31 AM
I tried putting our flyers at Pacific East Mall, but they only accept "rental" ads. bummer. But that doesn't mean some one else shouldn't try!

pasupuleti
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
We have a meeting with Zoe Lofgren Staff on March 8th @ 2:30 PM
You could find her san jose office address @
http://zoelofgren.house.gov/ . Let me know if anyone wants to attend this meeting.

This meeting in silliconvalley which is the home for most h1bs. Please come forward to attend this meeting.

logiclife
02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,

Great job. Zoe Lofgren is very very very influential and key on immigration issues. Its great the you go an appointment with her.

Others in Bay Area: Please join this guy so that you can be proud at the end of the day that you stood up for yourselves. If not for anything, for your own pride.

--logiclife.

Berkeleybee
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
All,

I'll be attending this meeting with Zoe Lofgren's staff. It would be great if we got a new volunteer --someone who hasn't been to a lawmaker meeting and wants to learn how to run one.

best
Berkeleybee

admin
02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Great Work Pasupuleti in getting the appoinment. As discussed on http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260 we met with the Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's Senior Counsel Ur Jaddou at the Washington DC office. It will be great to keep reinforcing our message to them.

coolstonesa
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
pasupuleti

I will try to be there. Thanks for arranging.

pasupuleti
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
i need your full name, please send a private msg. I need to send this information to zoe lofgren office.

pasupuleti

I will try to be there. Thanks for arranging.

pdakwala
03-01-2006, 03:10 PM
There is a conference call for people living in CA on Thursday 03/02/3006 at 9.00 p.m. The comprehensive immigration reform bill will be given first look that day by the Senate Judiciary committee.

We need lot of help so please join the conference call. If you don't have the details please send me a PM with your phone number, email address.

v2neha
03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Team,

My retired parents are visiting me and will be here for atleast six months. Mom is fine but Dad is extremely bored in just two days. Can you guys suggest how do I keep him busy while having him help us with IV activities? He has excellent communication skills. One thing I think of is having him surf the net and research immigration related media contacts all across the nation. Please comment with your suggestions.

Thanks

cagcwait
03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Meeting with Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren’s staff, San Jose

03/08/06

A group of us met with the with Chief of Staff and Congressional Aide at Zoe Lofgren’s office in San Jose, yesterday. The meeting went very well and lasted an hour. The Chief of Staff was very knowledgeable about the issues. She ofcourse knew that the IV team had already met with the Congresswoman and the staff at her DC office. One of her first comments was about that meeting and she remarked that it was very good to have “ an organized group” like IV. She was very appreciative of what IV was doing as an “organized group” – doing their homework and research and putting out presentations and materials that brought out the core issues very clearly and hiring a very competent lobbying firm to help execute our agenda. She wanted to know who made those presentations (thanks to Berkeley Bee!!!!!) J.. In fact, she repeated her appreciation quite a few times about IV. She also mentioned that she had read about IV in the Roll Call and was looking forward to meet the group.

We went through the presentation, explaining the issues – most of which the Chief of Staff was already were aware of. The Congressional Aide was not aware of a few and we used the opportunity to explain the issues. Needless to say, personal examples helped to get the point across very well. While we went through the issues at the BECs and the USCIS, we quoted quite liberally from the Ombudsman report and the Presidents Economic report and from logiclife’s post on the backlog centers. At one point we were asked/ told that since these were infrastructure problems that are very deep, it is probably going to take time to completely address the fixes in the system. We again took that opportunity and told them about IV goals such as the 3yr H1B extensions instead of 1yr and the recapture of the visas lost between 2001 and 2004 - which would provide interim relief to the people affected by the backlog. We explained how the 3yr extensions instead of 1yr would relieve the USCIS of additional work and allow them to focus their efforts on actual processing / clearing of backlog. When they commented that the Dept of Homeland Security may want this to be a 1yr process, we pointed out that currently 3yr extensions are being offered to people who have filed for I485, so we are merely asking that the same be extended to people with their Labour and I-140 pending.

They offered us a couple of suggestions:

1. To talk to the Congress people “on the other side” especially in the Judiciary committee. They wanted us to consult with our lobbying firm first. They strongly felt that we should be talking to lawmakers who are not pro-immigration. They said that we may need to study their district and the industries there and try to point out how those industries are benefited by immigrants directly or indirectly.

2. To collaborate with the giants in the Private sector who employ highly skilled legal immigrants because some of them have very loud voices on the hill.

We do have an action to get back to them with a list of states that we know that don’t issue drivers license renewals for 1yr. Can someone please provide us with this information so that we can relay it back to them?

They also wanted a softcopy of our presentation and the supporting materials. We are working on that.

Overall, they had a very good opinion about ImmigrationVoice. To quote them again,
“Very Organized Group” – and they felt that organized groups make a great difference,
“Done their homework very well in terms of research, pinpointing the exact issues, presenting and communicating them in a way lawmakers / people understand”, “Have a very good lobbying firm”. They wanted IV to continue what we are doing and meet with lawmakers on either side (pro and anti immigration), so that when a “window of opportunity” presents itself, we can use it to our advantage. The Chief of Staff reiterated this point and mentioned how important it was to be prepared for this “window of opportunity”.

My request to people who read this,
1. If you are not a member of IV, please become a member and join hands with IV NOW. You can clearly see what an impact IV is making with the lawmakers in such a short frame of time.
2. If you have not contributed, please do so NOW. It is absolutely required to retain this “very good lobbying firm” and make sure that our voices continue to be heard.
3. Please join the membership drive started by logiclife at http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=305 and bring in 5 more members who can contribute monetarily / otherwise.

Thanks,
cagcwait

bluekayal
03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Report back

Two people from the CA group met the Constituent Services Manager at the Congresswoman's office. The staffer was very familar with Immigration issues, and the functioning of backlog elimination centers. It was a fascinating meeting at a very personal level with good exchange of views. It is good to remember we meet as individuals with our own histories, struggles and successes.

On IV goals

There was more agreement on some of IV's goals than others. For example it might be easier to "Automatically recapture unused EB Visa number from previous year." That goal may have better chance to win out. So we may need to move this item up. So in terms of priority, starting with what the staffer agreed with, Iv's priorities would something like this.

1. Transparency of DOL-BEC and USCIS functioning.

2. Automatically recapture unused EB Visa Numbers from previous years.

3.Convert all 1 year extensions of H-1B, EAD, and Travel Document (Advance Parole) of applicants in backlog to 3 year extension.

4. Ability to file I-485 even without Visa Number availability

5. Allow applicants with advanced degrees from the US, or who have worked for more than 3 years in the US on H-1B, to automatically apply for adjustment of status without regard to EB annual limit.

6. Eliminate dependents from EB annual limit.

7. Increase EB annual limit.

We shared the Ombudsaman's report and the couple of pages from the President's economic report of 2005. They were both very useful. It was the first time the staffer had seen the Ombudsman's report. The staffer wanted to use these at at a meeting she is attending :) Thank you IV team, especially Berkeley Bee for ferreting out key bits of information.

On speeding up Labor certification

When one of us said congress's intention for LC is 21-60 days, the staffer replied that was before 911. How can we make this happen and speeded up the work in PBEC/DBEC?

The staffer also mentioned that a lot of time is spent on "background check" and mentioned it was suggested it might be better for FBI to do it. But of course the FBI had other things to do and that suggestion didn't fly.

One of us mentioned the clogging due to 245-i. LCs could be speeded up -- if the paper work of those on the 245-1 (Apr.,25,2001) track is different from us, then could those be handled differently/ in another place to speed up our LCs in PBEC and DBEC.

Finally, the staffer will let the congresswoman know our concerns.

thanks

Bluekayal

Berkeleybee
03-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Report back

When one of us said congress's intention for LC is 21-60 days, the staffer replied that was before 911. How can we make this happen and speeded up the work in PBEC/DBEC?

The staffer also mentioned that a lot of time is spent on "background check" and mentioned it was suggested it might be better for FBI to do it. But of course the FBI had other things to do and that suggestion didn't fly.

One of us mentioned the clogging due to 245-i. LCs could be speeded up -- if the paper work of those on the 245-1 (Apr.,25,2001) track is different from us, then could those be handled differently/ in another place to speed up our LCs in PBEC and DBEC.
Bluekayal

Great summary Bluekayal!

A few points of response about congressional intent and reality and the 9-11 defense [all, you need to read our presentation to follow this discussion]

(1) Labor Cert: Intent = 21-60 days; This stage has nothing to do with 9-11! Nothing at all! There has been no change in process here, maybe there are more applications, but that doesn't change the intent reality story. Again, they need to fund the program in order to achieve intent.

(2) I-485/I-140: Intent = 6 months; Remember that the presidential mandate for 6 month times is a post-9-11 mandate -- CIS's own director has testified before Congress that they are trying to achieve this goal. So the 9-11 argument doesn't wash here either -- they need to fund the operation properly so that the president's mandate is satisfied.

(3) Background checks
(a) USCIS queries the IBIS database maintained by Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
(b) FBI conducts a finger print check
(c) FBI conducts a name check.

So I don't know what she meant by FBI can do it. They already are.

sbdol
03-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Report back

Bluekayal

I would not be too thrilled by this meeting. Looks like the official just politely leads the conversation but really did not look deep into the problem.

Berkeleybee
03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Sbdol,

Our goal from these meetings is simple: to get the issue on the radar.

Remember usually when lawmakers/lawmaker district office staff hear "immigration" they think "illegal immigration." Our presentation is usually the beginning of their education -- we have no expectation that they have "deep" or any knowledge of the nitty gritty.

All we want is that they send our material to their Immigration aide in DC, and recognize that there is an issue out there.

BTW, sbdol what volunteer team are you on?

best,
Berkeleybee

pasupuleti
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I know there is quite a rush at this place during weekdays/weekends. I was wondering if anyone has kept our poster there? Otherwise i will try there.
Also if you know them personally let us know..

v2neha
03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Team,

The meeting with Rep. Pete Stark's district director Jo Cazenave went very well. She had a little idea about, but was not fully aware of EB process for obtaining GC, and was impressed with our presentation that explained the process in graphical manner. Jo confirmed that Congressman Stark was against illegal immigration and also clarified that he was all in for high tech legal immigration. She listened attentively and took notes. She showed more interest in knowing facts about provisions of S.2454 and Spector's mark up that would reverse provisions of AC21 and Sen. Fienstein's amendments to these proposed bills. She repeatedly reminded me to make sure to forward more details on these after the meeting. I've sent her these details in the 'Thank you' email after the meeting. As it has been the case with outcome of other lawmaker staff's meetings, she suggested that we agressively meet with as many lawmakers as possible - especially in DC, seek support of big companies who hire EB workers and encourage people to contact their congress reps in case of unacceptable administrative delays. Jo has extended her invitation to members of IV to attend Rep. Stark's town meetings. (The next one to be held on 1st Apr'06 in Newark - details on http://www.house.gov/stark/contact/townmeeting.htm ). She asked my personal experience with the GC Processing and how it has impacted me. She noted down my home address and promised that she will not only convey a picture of the issues faced by EB immigrants to the rep, but also have him contact me via mail for anything he might have to say or ask.