PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Marriage Certificate

svgupta
06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

We couldnt get our marriage registered in the local court, hence we don't have any legal document from India. Because, we had to return back to US just after marriage.

However, as soon as we got back, we got a "marriage certificate" issued from the Indian consulate office in US and also got our names endorsed on the each others passport as spouse. Within a month, my wife also got the name changed at the SSN office, followed by a new passport with her new married name.

Can sb advice us how to go about obtaining the documents to prove our marriage. (we can't travel to India for the next few mths to get the marriage registered.) From what our att. has suggested, we better only apply for I-485 with our indian marriage certificate.

Any pointers, will be help.

Thanks in advance.

svgupta
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
gurus! need inputs.

will_v_ever_get_GC
06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi there.

I am sure there would be many more in the same state, having no marriage certificate. So attorneys or people who have experience, please respond.

Would affidavit from both parents and in-laws + 2 set of attendees at the wedding + affidavit from priest, along with Indian Consulate issued marriage certificate help?

Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks !!!

factoryman
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Have you heard or searched this forum for something called 'Marriage Affidavit'.

You don't have to go India to get it. You can ask the elders, parents, uncles (2 of them) to get it done, scan and it and email it. Later, they can sent it snail mail.

svgupta
06-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Have you heard or searched this forum for something called 'Marriage Affidavit'.

You don't have to go India to get it. You can ask the elders, parents, uncles (2 of them) to get it done, scan and it and email it. Later, they can sent it snail mail.

Thanks factoryman.

I did read about the marriage affidavit, however since the att. had advised not to apply with an affidavit, I wanted a second opinion from this vast knowledge pool of IV.

Thanks again.

Anyone else in the same boat?