PDA

View Full Version : I485 filing - before or after the new fee structure goes into effect?

cdeneo
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Since many are about to file their I 485 petitions, there was some talk about some advantages to filing this petition when the new fee structure goes into effect end of July.

One might be able to wait till mid July to see the August bulletin come out, if PD still current then could file in August with the new fee structure.

Question I had was -
What are the advantages if any to filing when the new fee structure is in place?
or should one file the earliest date one can, say 1st week of July?

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks!

amitjoey
06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Since many are about to file their I 485 petitions, there was some talk about some advantages to filing this petition when the new fee structure goes into effect end of July.

One might be able to wait till mid July to see the August bulletin come out, if PD still current then could file in August with the new fee structure.

Question I had was -
What are the advantages if any to filing when the new fee structure is in place?

There are no advantages to filing with the new fee structure, More fees thats all. Earlier the better, but it is not a lottery, so it does not matter as long as your application reaches/files before the 30th of July.

GCBy3000
06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I heard that with new fee structure, you get to get the EAD and AP at no cost every additional year. Is that not true?

dilvahabilyeha
06-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi friends,
Here is what my lawyer sent me! Forwarding to you all so that you can get some idea what they are planning to do. Of Course she is charging me 250$ for this info!. I am sharing this as you have contributed and Will contribute to IV.

------------------Here is the lawyer email---------------------

As you know, you and your wife will be able to file your applications to adjust status to permanent residence in July 2007. You will need to prepare the following for your adjustment applications:
1. Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status. You can find this Form on the Internet here:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf
Please complete this form in draft format for you and your wife. Please write "unknown" instead of leaving questions unanswered.

2. Form G-325, Biographic Information. You can find this Form on the Internet here:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf
Please complete this form in draft format for you and your wife. Please write "unknown" instead of leaving questions unanswered.

3. Photographs. You and your wife must each have six color photographs taken in accordance with the photo specifications that you will find here:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html

4. Passports, Forms I-94 and Nonimmigrant Visa Documents. Please send us a copy of every page, including any blank pages, of each of your current and any prior passports. Please also include copies (front and back) of each of your Forms I-94. Please make sure that the date and place of entry on the I-94 copies are clearly legible.

5. Birth and Marriage Certificates. Please send us a copy of your and your wife’s birth certificates and of your marriage certificate. If your birth certificates do not contain your name, your date and place of birth, and both of your parents' names, you will probably have to get affidavits from parents or older family members to fill in the blanks. We will review your documents and let you know if affidavits will be needed.

6. Medical Exams. You each must have a medical exam done by a CIS approved physician. It is my understanding that it is already becoming difficult to get appointments with these physicians. You can locate these physicians at this website:
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

The exam will include a blood test for AIDS and other diseases, a physical exam, and a skin test, and perhaps a chest x-ray, for tuberculosis. The physician will complete the forms and return them in sealed envelopes. The envelopes must remain sealed.
Immigration law requires that you submit proof of vaccinations with your applications for adjustment of status. You will find the vaccination sheet that the CIS physician must complete and enclose with your medicals here:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

Please take proof of your prior vaccinations to the medical exams. If you do not have proof of prior vaccinations, you will probably have to receive those vaccinations at this time. If that is the case, it may be more cost effective to have the vaccinations done before you go for the examinations and then take evidence of those vaccinations to the CIS physician.

7. Identification Documents. Please send us two color, slightly enlarged copies of your and your wife’s drivers licenses or other photo ID, with the photos as clear as possible.

8. Employment Verification Letter. I will forward a format for this letter to your employer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

visves
06-18-2007, 03:37 PM
With the new fee structure, you would not have to pay USCIS every year to renew your interim benefits (EAD/AP). This would be most helpful if you are from a retrogressed country and don't expect adjudication any time soon. But, I am not sure what disadvantage you would have if you wait and file on July 30 instead of July 1...obviously there would be a ton of people before you. Personally, I am not sure how everything would play out and if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Question I had was -