PDA

View Full Version : Is color-copying Government issued IDs illegal?

p7810456
06-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Wondering to know whether taking color copies of passport BIO page or of Driving Licenses is illegal. This is because my lawyer, Littler Global, wanted me to send him enlarged color copies of passport BIO page and that of Driving License. I went to Kinko's to get it done but the people in Kinko told me that they can't help me with that because it is against Federal law. They seemed so sure about it that started saying that may be your attorney dosen't know law about copying and all.

Wondering to know whether anybody else faced the similar situation.

Thanks

ysnraju
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Nothing wrong my attorney also collected color copies only 3 of us.
Being color copies or more clear they are requesting the same.

As long as your not using color copies to re-produce the documents and they are not exact material that is not illegal.

beautifulMind
06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes they are. I had the same experience. So I went to another store and used one of their self service color copiers so they cannot see what i wasy copying

desi3933
06-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Wondering to know whether taking color copies of passport BIO page or of Driving Licenses is illegal. This is because my lawyer, Littler Global, wanted me to send him enlarged color copies of passport BIO page and that of Driving License. I went to Kinko's to get it done but the people in Kinko told me that they can't help me with that because it is against Federal law. They seemed so sure about it that started saying that may be your attorney dosen't know law about copying and all.

Thanks

Color copy size must be <75% or >125% and must state COPY in uppercase in big letters across the image.

This is my understanding. Please check and verify details with your lawyer/attorney.

Not a legal advice.

----------------------------------
Permanent Resident since May 2002

xbohdpukc
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
on a side note... I was advised by the attorney to make a copy of my AP should an officer want to keep it for his record. Also that piece of advice included this in red: DO NOT MAKE A COLOR COPY, ONLY a BW ONE. Making a color copy of AP might be considered a forgery.

rimzhim
06-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Thanks
Just go to copymax or some other store where you can make your own copies. That is what I did, after hearing the same from Kinkos. Kinkos always says that, and poor immigrants have to find creative ways to stay out of trouble !:)

illiguy2000
06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Just go to copymax or some other store where you can make your own copies. That is what I did, after hearing the same from Kinkos. Kinkos always says that, and poor immigrants have to find creative ways to stay out of trouble !:)

I had the same experience with kinko's